Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Are we over-rating CJ Uzomah?
I'm not against moving on from Uzo even though I am a fan of him.

Problem is, the Bengals have to find someone to replace him. No way they can go into the season with Shrek as the #1 TE. There are a couple or so free agents that would be just as good as Uzo, but none that would be a decent upgrade either. Seems only way that happens would be either a trade, or a team releases one to free up cap. Regardless though, if Uzo goes elsewhere, they have to find someone out there close to his level at the least.

If all else fails, I would think about trying to get McBride in the draft.6'4'', 260, had over 1100 yds receiving this last season. Or even that Dulcich.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 12:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I know what Uzomah is. I also know what he isn't.

With that said, who do people consider to be the elite TEs in the league? It's the top receiving TEs.

So if looking for someone more like Uzomah, I think this draft has some. If looking for someone like Kittle or Kelce, I don't see any.

Well who said anything about wanting elite or what he isn’t? What he is, a TE that does well what the Bengals expect him to do. He had a good year, he’s probably got another 2-3 years at this level. So I expect the Bengals will make a fair offer that he can negotiate into a deal he signs.

Win-win.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 12:42 PM)higgy100 Wrote:       
I notice you tend to list stats to fit your narrative. Again, if you can't see the nice upward projection and chemistry CJ had with JB at QB which would have happened the previous season prior to his injury after 2 games with real dreck at the WR position only to see the really nice stats for 2021 with arguably a top 2-3 NFL WR corps, with CJ clearly being not only being the 3rd/4th option but also having to stay in to block quite a bit amongst a sub-par OL, well, just not sure what to tell you.

I have no idea what your point is. I saw how CJ worked with JB.  Doesn't change the fact that he was basically just as productive with Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 02:00 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Well who said anything about wanting elite or what he isn’t?  What he is,  a TE that does well what the Bengals expect him to do.  He had a good year, he’s probably got another 2-3 years at this level. So I expect the Bengals will make a fair offer that he can negotiate into a deal he signs.

Win-win.

I wasn't talking about whether to keep Uzomah or not. I was talking about how deep the TE class is and using Uzomah as an example for how I see the TE class. Not elite, but similar to a player like Uzomah.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
CJ might bet getting a nice deal in his future... $$$$

Reply/Quote
Seattle just re-signed their free-agent TE for 3 years $24 million. That is in the ballpark of what I would expect CJ to want

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Alie-Cox just re-signed with Indy for 3yrs....
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 04:59 PM)pally Wrote: Seattle just re-signed their free-agent TE for 3 years $24 million. That is in the ballpark of what I would expect CJ to want

Haha, we made a post within 1 min of each other with the same idea.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 04:59 PM)pally Wrote: Seattle just re-signed their free-agent TE for 3 years $24 million. That is in the ballpark of what I would expect CJ to want

Bengals gonna have to get real cute with signings after signing Kappa to $10 mill APY, Karras to $6 mill APY, and Hill to $10 mill APY.
However, cutting Hopkins would cover Karras, and cutting Waynes would cover Kappa or Hill.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Moe Allie Cox just got 3 years 18 Million, so I think it is pretty safe to say most people undervalued CJ's price. I think there are still options to save a couple million but we would probably need a nice hometown discount to get what some people thought we'd get him for.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: Moe Allie Cox just got 3 years 18 Million, so I think it is pretty safe to say most people undervalued CJ's price. I think there are still options to save a couple million but we would probably need a nice hometown discount to get what some people thought we'd get him for.

CJ at minimum has to get a deal like Dissly, right? Maybe more? 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:08 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: CJ at minimum has to get a deal like Dissly, right? Maybe more? 

I think Dissley is where I'd like to be if I was the team. If it got beyond that I'd be looking at an Evan Engram or OJ Howard. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: Moe Allie Cox just got 3 years 18 Million, so I think it is pretty safe to say most people undervalued CJ's price. I think there are still options to save a couple million but we would probably need a nice hometown discount to get what some people thought we'd get him for.

Or pretty safe to say people are just losing their minds vastly overpaying mediocre TEs right now.

Just because Minnesota paid Kirk Cousins $35m and Washington paid Carson Wentz $32m doesn't mean people should be okay with paying Jared Goff $33.5m is all I am saying. Lol

This would be like if the Browns right now go "Here's $35m/yr Baker Mayfield. It's what all the other meh QBs are getting right now". We'd laugh at them and be overjoyed they were spending that much of their cap on him.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Maybe more even. That Dissly the last two years had 482 yards and 3 tds in 31 games. Maybe he is a great run blocker tho, cause receiving wise not so much lol.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Or pretty safe to say people are just losing their minds vastly overpaying mediocre TEs right now.

Just because Minnesota paid Kirk Cousins $35m and Washington paid Carson Wentz $32m doesn't mean people should be okay with paying Jared Goff $33.5m is all I am saying. Lol

You are worth what someone is willing to pay, you just have to decide from there what your options are. 

I think a lot of people's point has been the market as a whole is much higher than the random numbers people have pulled out to pay players. You can hate the number but most times it lacks context of general league wide inflation. In the end if you want a vet TE this is what it costs, if you want to trust a rookie you can but then we have to work that into draft strategy with other needs. I think with what we have done so far you could be looking somewhere late day 2 early day 3 at a TE.
Reply/Quote
I think Moss is in our 3 TE mix next year. Burrow knows him, he looks really good at running routes his blocking was the big question mark and he has had a year to work on that.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 09:31 AM)Bengalpool Wrote: I was speaking on behalf of everyone that believes he is relevant now. Not how I feel. Sorry for confusing you. It is a messaged board, sarcasm isn't always transparent. 

I would say Gronk, but that ship has most likely sailed. And he may (should) demand more than CJ.

Mo Alie-Cox off the top of my head would be more productive in the passing and running game (great blocker). He's arguably the most underrated player on the Colts roster last season. I could see him signing for around 3/18 (CJ is probably asking 3/24ish). He did have a dip in his catching percentage in 2021, but I don't think having Wentz as your QB helps that statistic. He thrived with an above average QB in Phillip Rivers in 2021 (Burrow > Rivers, Wentz; FWIW).

Burrow is still young, CJ isn't the only TE who can develop a chemistry with Joe. PFF has Mo Alie-Cox graded higher than CJ every season since he entered the league in '18. That's who I would be looking into. 
I called that lmao. Re-Signed 3yr/18m with the Colts. 
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 11:59 AM)bfine32 Wrote: There's a difference between being deep and being top heavy. In 2018 there was no first RD lock and only 1 TE went late in the 1st (Hayden Hurst #25). However the following went later in the draft:
Dallas Godert
Mike Gesicki
Mark Andrew
Dalton Shultz

I could see similar players in this draft:
Dulchich
Kolar
Woods
Wydermyer

That’s what my wife keeps telling me.

And I’m like . . .

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:18 PM)Au165 Wrote: You are worth what someone is willing to pay, you just have to decide from there what your options are. 

I think a lot of people's point has been the market as a whole is much higher than the random numbers people have pulled out to pay players. You can hate the number but most times it lacks context of general league wide inflation. In the end if you want a vet TE this is what it costs, if you want to trust a rookie you can but then we have to work that into draft strategy with other needs. I think with what we have done so far you could be looking somewhere late day 2 early day 3 at a TE.

If Gronk goes back to that un-retiring PoS Brady, I think rookie TE is a fair option. Just lean on Boyd more. He can handle it and probable deserves it. Should be less reliant on TEs blocking anyway with more OL improvements. Or take a flier on Hayden Hurst or OJ Howard. Meh TE just really isn't where I would want to allocate significant cap space to. Doubly so when you already have one of the best WR groups in the league.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Uzomah was huge in helping Bengals get to Super Bowl. I would like to see him kept, but it's not looking good. To those on here who say he isn't that good, look for him to be picked up by a team FAST in Free Agency. Teams saw his great season.

Thanks for the huge plays against Ravens and other teams to get Bengals to THE SUPER BOWL. If you do leave Uzomah, the 2021 Super Bowl season will not be forgotten. Nothing over rated about helping get this team back to Play-Off Wins and Super Bowl.

Tiger Who Dey Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote