Poll: Are you glad this season happened?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you glad this Season happened if so why?
Are you glad the season happened with the circumstances? Would the Bengals been better off not playing this season?
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2020, 01:36 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: Are you glad the season happened with the circumstances? Would the Bengals been better off not playing this season?

From a growth perspective, yes.
I think it's been valuable for the young players, especially the ones who hadn't played a down yet.

I do wonder though that if the season hadn't been played, would the Bengals had gotten the 1st overall pick again? That would have been nice to have. Either a big trade or get Sewell.

This season has been a disappointment though from a record perspective. I was expecting the run game and defense to be a lot better than they have been.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Selfishly speaking, yes. With all the crap we’ve been through this year, we needed some football. Also, it’s been a good year for the rookies to get to play and watch the team grow together. I’m not down on the team for several reasons I won’t get into right now, and believe they are only going to get better.

Reply/Quote
Are you even kidding? Heck yeah, we got to see Burrow is the real deal, we got to see that we hit on numerous draft picks, we got to see where our weaknesses are that need to be addressed in the off season and next draft. And it's been a ton of fun watching Joey B. If there had not been a season we still wouldn't know how the players we drafted would work out, and no way the draft order would have been the same.
Reply/Quote
Absolutely. Despite the numerous issues -- widespread injuries, no fans, limited practice time/training camp, postponements and delays -- the diluted product we're seeing is far better than no football at all.

And I think this season, even with these issues, has benefitted the Bengals, particularly with respect to the evaluation of players, both good and bad. We know we have a franchise QB, for example. We know we have some very good foundational pieces at WR (Higgins) and S (Bates). LB is not the glaring hole it once was (although we still need some help there). And we've learned we can move on from some franchise cornerstones (Dunlap, likely Green) and others (Ross). Without this season, we wouldn't have known any of this.

If we had skipped this season and retained the No. 1 pick, would we have been able to pass on Lawrence or Fields? I'm not so sure. Now that we know for a fact Burrow can play in the NFL, we can feel confident in drafting a Sewell or the best defensive player on the board. Plus, no real pressure to replace AJ with the emergence of Higgins.

On a personal level, I feel much better about our team now than I did at the end of last year -- we still need to improve, sure, but I feel we're trending upward and no longer stuck at the bottom.
Reply/Quote
There's no way we would have picked in the same order. The other teams would have had a cow over it. Most likely it would have been some sort of lottery....
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2020, 02:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Are you even kidding? Heck yeah, we got to see Burrow is the real deal, we got to see that we hit on numerous draft picks, we got to see where our weaknesses are that need to be addressed in the off season and next draft. And it's been a ton of fun watching Joey B. If there had not been a season we still wouldn't know how the players we drafted would work out, and no way the draft order would have been the same.

That's exactly where I am.  

If we hadn't known how bad this offensive line was, would we have done any work in the offseason to improve it as much as it needs it?

Seeing Joe Burrow perform the way that he has been has to give the team hope, which will be big in their offseason activities, as well as giving free agents reasons to be interested in coming here.

In the draft, Mike Brown always went for flashy picks instead of picks for need, but we're at the point now where our coaching staff sees that we just need more core pieces, like a line and pieces on defenses, so this season is actually giving me hope, especially seeing Burrow.

We've also taken big steps in terms of the way the organization is operated, even if it's still far from perfect or even average.
Reply/Quote
I'm glad it happened. I was getting tired of watching marble racing on TV
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Yes for 2 reasons

1. As much as I hate losing it is better than no football at all.

2. A year closer to getting rid of these coaches.
Reply/Quote
Back in the summer when baseball was delayed and delayed, some people said what about football? I said then that they would move Heaven and Earth to get some type of season together, and they have.
Reply/Quote
Of course, needed football and it has been an absolute pleasure watching Joe Burrow and company play.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2020, 02:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Are you even kidding? Heck yeah, we got to see Burrow is the real deal, we got to see that we hit on numerous draft picks, we got to see where our weaknesses are that need to be addressed in the off season and next draft. And it's been a ton of fun watching Joey B. If there had not been a season we still wouldn't know how the players we drafted would work out, and no way the draft order would have been the same.

This.  Despite losing I have enjoyed this year more than any since 2015.   There's a lot of promise, the newer players are emerging, we had a bumper year of draft pics and I have really enjoyed the play calling the last 2 weeks.

I actually have hope.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2020, 02:25 PM)shanebo Wrote: Absolutely.  Despite the numerous issues -- widespread injuries, no fans, limited practice time/training camp, postponements and delays -- the diluted product we're seeing is far better than no football at all.

And I think this season, even with these issues, has benefitted the Bengals, particularly with respect to the evaluation of players, both good and bad.  We know we have a franchise QB, for example.  We know we have some very good foundational pieces at WR (Higgins) and S (Bates).  LB is not the glaring hole it once was (although we still need some help there).  And we've learned we can move on from some franchise cornerstones (Dunlap, likely Green) and others (Ross).  Without this season, we wouldn't have known any of this.

If we had skipped this season and retained the No. 1 pick, would we have been able to pass on Lawrence or Fields?  I'm not so sure.  Now that we know for a fact Burrow can play in the NFL, we can feel confident in drafting a Sewell or the best defensive player on the board.  Plus, no real pressure to replace AJ with the emergence of Higgins.

On a personal level, I feel much better about our team now than I did at the end of last year -- we still need to improve, sure, but I feel we're trending upward and no longer stuck at the bottom.

Nice post Shanebo. Bates is now being mentioned as the best Safety in football, big stuff.

Also Logan Wilson looks to be a stud and a Playmaker.
Reply/Quote
yes I am glad
The season of football Happened.
Because it made
Sundays a game day again

I'll be responding in poorly written Haikus for a while. Heads up.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Totally glad season happened this year. Watching Burrow is worth it, but even if we still had Dalton, its good to have football to distract from all of the 2020 drama. I knew even before covid that 2020 being an election year would be full of drama, just had no idea to what extent. Sadly it far exceeded my expectations lol.

Football has been a nice escape from it all. Having the probable ROTY is nice too.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2020, 02:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm glad it happened. I was getting tired of watching marble racing on TV

This never gets old!

Careful, there is some NSFW language in there...

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2020, 04:54 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: yes I am glad
The season of football Happened.
Because it made
Sundays a game day again

I'll be responding in poorly written Haikus for a while. Heads up.
Somebody cast a spell on you? Your headspace stuck in 10th grade English class...!?!?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2020, 06:42 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Somebody cast a spell on you? Your headspace stuck in 10th grade English class...!?!?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

There is no magic spell
Cast on me or on thee.
Haiku is German.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2020, 04:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes for 2 reasons

1.  As much as I hate losing it is better than no football at all.

2.  A year closer to getting rid of these coaches.

This

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Yes- we get to watch Joe Burrow look like he will be the best QB in the league in no time.
Reply/Quote