Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you happy with AJ Green's targets/usage?
I'd like to see Green have more receptions...but A LOT of Dalton's interceptions have come forcing the ball to Green...so in that regard it's better to not force it.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 07:33 AM)ah5 Wrote: Lafell and Boyd are good players but they sure as hell don't scare teams.  This is why we drafted Ross.  Would rather have Sanu or Jones back instead tho.

True, Lafell and Boyd just are not explosive. Not using Ross is epicly stupid by Marv, doesn't even dress the guy games! Shocked

The thing is we have 3 or 4 receivers that do have the speed to scare teams, Ross, Malone, Core and Erickson.

We just don't use them near enough.

(11-28-2017, 08:13 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: There are times we throw to AJ when we shouldn't because he's in double coverage. If we get others involved more, AJ will see more. With a predictable offense such as ours, defenses feel safe making sure he is doubled up often.

Yah Harley, not like we cannot make our Offense less predictable with the players we have, especially using the directional
blocking in the run game we used last game. We have the RB's with Mixon and Gio who are very versatile and can be used
as WR's even if we wanted, they are very good route runners and arguably faster than Lafell and Boyd.

We could try and use these guys like the Pats use theirs.

(11-28-2017, 11:36 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Sometimes im not sure how happy AJ is with it. I have seen him get visibly frustrated on the sidelines on more than one occasion. 

I think that was more frustration with losing then being targeted. AJ is pretty damn classy, nothing like TO or the divas.
Reply/Quote
Not so sure as an innocent bystander, I have any say in the matter....
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 02:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yah Harley, not like we cannot make our Offense less predictable with the players we have, especially using the directional
blocking in the run game we used last game. We have the RB's with Mixon and Gio who are very versatile and can be used
as WR's even if we wanted, they are very good route runners and arguably faster than Lafell and Boyd.

We could try and use these guys like the Pats use theirs.

I agree. They are utilizing Burkhead beautifully and he is producing. I totally respect BB and his coaching. Guy knows talent and goes and gets it (terrible in FF though if I may add-lol). He may make James White or Gillislee a huge part of the gameplan next week. How do you plan against such a great thinker like that? Teams in the AFCE try, and sometimes succeed. However when they face the Pats, it's going to be a tough one. We truly need better leadership on our team if AJ is going to get freed up. However, better leadership does not tie your hands to 1 or 2 star performers to win a game. The simple fact we have to discuss how we can get the ball to AJ is not a good recipe for success in this days NFL. You have to plan and think outside the box. Be smart and do the unexpected. 

Unexpected is not people on the message board during a game often able to tell you what play we are doing next or who's going to get the ball? Unexpected is not message board posters being able to predict several plays to follow in 1 sentence? If we can see it, you know opposing coaches see it? We truly suck gentlemen and it's sad. There may never be a BB arise in the NFL again because he truly is a genius in his trade compared to his peers. But if you just give us one who has enough common sense to eat spaghetti without slurping sauce on his shirt? That would be a tremendous improvement.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 06:02 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: How many times a game we attempt to throw and use AJ, are you happy with it?

He is currently 12th in the NFL with 91 targets (about 8 per game). To put that in context, Antonio Brown leads the NFL with 126 targets (about 11 per game).

I have to admit, I was actually pretty surprised that he was as high as 12th in the league. I thought he would be a lot lower.

Sometimes I feel like we could do a lot more to get AJ the ball. We run a lot of quick hitters to Lafell on the outside, why not run those plays to AJ? He is much better after the catch.

Also, there was a lot of 1 on 1 coverage last week against the Browns with no safety over the top, why not take some chances and throw it up to him? There really isn't anyone in the league better at going up and getting the ball.

I would be interested to see the stats on targets over 20 yards. I couldn't find it though.
Factor in time of possession for the Offense and I'd say that he gets targeted as much as anyone in the NFL by the time he's on the field.
Reply/Quote
We lack a quarterback who not a gun slinger. Andy's a conservative passer.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 05:25 AM)Nati#1 Wrote: We lack a quarterback who not a gun slinger. Andy's a conservative passer.

Yes, Andy dictates this. Not the offensive scheme, the horrendous play by the line or the 3.0 ypc (and league worse rush YPG).

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Being a gunslinger with a rocket arm isn’t always necessarily a good thing.

Would anyone have rather had Jay Cutler over Andy Dalton all these years? I wouldn’t.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Spread the ball around getting production from other players to take heat off AJ so he gets more single coverage and more chances. Get longer drives going score more points give the D a chance to rest up between drives so they can create more sacks three and outs and turnovers. Which in turn gives AJ more chances to get targets and catches.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 09:45 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I agree. They are utilizing Burkhead beautifully and he is producing. I totally respect BB and his coaching. Guy knows talent and goes and gets it (terrible in FF though if I may add-lol). He may make James White or Gillislee a huge part of the gameplan next week. How do you plan against such a great thinker like that? Teams in the AFCE try, and sometimes succeed. However when they face the Pats, it's going to be a tough one. We truly need better leadership on our team if AJ is going to get freed up. However, better leadership does not tie your hands to 1 or 2 star performers to win a game. The simple fact we have to discuss how we can get the ball to AJ is not a good recipe for success in this days NFL. You have to plan and think outside the box. Be smart and do the unexpected. 

Unexpected is not people on the message board during a game often able to tell you what play we are doing next or who's going to get the ball? Unexpected is not message board posters being able to predict several plays to follow in 1 sentence? If we can see it, you know opposing coaches see it? We truly suck gentlemen and it's sad. There may never be a BB arise in the NFL again because he truly is a genius in his trade compared to his peers. But if you just give us one who has enough common sense to eat spaghetti without slurping sauce on his shirt? That would be a tremendous improvement.

Definately two different worlds, Belicheck and his staff compared to Marv and his. Like you said, we can predict what is
going to happen before it does. The good news is i truly believe we will be moving on from these clowns after this season.

Who knows if we turn into the Browns and just don't win any games for years, but i doubt it whoever we get after what
we have had here. There will be optimism for once. I have had no optimism in winning a playoff game for years. That
would change with any new coach that actually believes adjustments are actually a thing you have to do in football.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 11:22 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Being a gunslinger with a rocket arm isn’t always necessarily a good thing.

Would anyone have rather had Jay Cutler over Andy Dalton all these years? I wouldn’t.

Completely agree Nicomo.
Reply/Quote