Poll: Are you happy with the John Ross pick?
This poll is closed.
Yes
47.87%
90 47.87%
No
32.45%
61 32.45%
Indifferent
19.68%
37 19.68%
Total 188 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you happy with the John Ross Pick Poll
I don't like this pick with the talent that was still on the board. This is an Al Davis like move, fall in love with the speed guy. Just don't think he'll hold up in the NFL.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-28-2017, 12:16 AM)CharvelPlaya Wrote: I am not as liberal as I used to be and only read that forum nowadays. But we also have always had guitar and horror movies, lol! Politics suck. I don't trust any of them anymore haha.

But yeah man, I am really happy with the Ross pick. Can't wait for him, Green, Eifert, Boyd, Core, LaFell, and a sprinkling of Erickson, to be on the field together this year. We are set in the recieving area for a long time imo. Watching the highlights of this kid, Ross, has made me a believer. He is a player, not some fast dude they are taking a risk on. And with his combine 40......his knees are fine.

Man, love this stuff. With you all the way. Just watch this guy John Ross haters. He will be one of your favorite Bengals barring injuries.

But everyone can get injured, look at Munoz with his torn up knees in college. The greatest Bengal of all.

Looking at Allen falling made me wonder about him. We don't have the same medical staff we had with Braham and Antonio Bryant people.

They just might know what they are talkin about.
I would have preferred Lattimore. Rare lockdown DB's don't come around too often. There is also good talent at wr left that could've done the job.
Of course i will cheer him on cause he's a Bengal now.
A guy that can run deep on a team with a QB that has a mediocre arm and a lousy offensive line and will start the year on the PUP list. No wonder they cut to commercial.
Picking Ross adds a weapon. The problem is that they stayed put and drafted Ross at 9. Multiple teams wanted a QB, and subsequently paid a premium. The Bengals likely could've had Ross in the teens, or Howard, or Hooker, or Reddick.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
(04-28-2017, 12:35 AM)tlotharw Wrote: A guy that can run deep on a team with a QB that has a mediocre arm and a lousy offensive line 

Or...a guy who can turn a 7 yd quick slant or bubble screen into a 77 yd TD.
Horrible pick the guy is always injured two meniscus tears, ACL tear and a shoulder injury. Ran a great 40 so we picked him at 9. Ask the Rams about Austin at the 8 pick. Wasted a chance to get better. Lets hope day 2 is better.
(04-28-2017, 01:01 AM)cincyfan429 Wrote: Horrible pick the guy is always injured two meniscus tears, ACL tear and a shoulder injury. 
You know how guys who never get injured are "due"....he's the opposite.
Love it.

Ross is more than just speed, watch his game. He has some of the best route running and is explosive in and out of cuts. He's played against numerous coverage types and still produced. He makes people miss and can turn a game around.

He gives something the Bengals have never had before. Plus, with him on the field, do you put a safety on Ross and Green? That opens up the seams in the middle of the field with Eifert. Also we saw numerous times where Boyd would be open in the seams but Dalton wouldn't see him, a year together will certainly help that.

People bringing up injury issues tend to forget that he played the year with a torn labrum in his shoulder and produced at a high level.

Sure, there were other players on the board. But in the 9 losses the Bengals had last year, they didn't score more than 20 points. Red zone was abysmal. In the last 40 games where the Bengals score 25+ points, they are 37-1-2. If the Bengals can score, they can win. And Ross gives us an explosive player we've never had before with his type of speed.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
I find it hard to believe that a team that has not won a playoff game in 25 years has a stat that is 37-1-2 but I'll go with it. It's a bad pick at 9 that's for sure. Trade down to 20 and ok I can deal with it, but not at 9.
Not ecstatic but I guess you could say I'm "happy" with the pick.

But there were obviously better players available at positions with an actual need. I feel like we kinda dropped the ball here. I feel like Tobin or whoever was in charge of drafting tonight was too stubborn for their own good and stuck to their board without even taking their eyes of Ross' name. It isn't a horrible pick IMO... But there were better choices out there.
(04-28-2017, 01:12 AM)cincyfan429 Wrote: I find it hard to believe that a team that has not won a playoff game in 25 years has a stat that is 37-1-2 but I'll go with it. It's a bad pick at 9 that's for sure. Trade down to 20 and ok I can deal with it, but not at 9.

The FO draft people are not real sharp. Hopefully it works out in spite of their inability to craft trades and deals.
(04-28-2017, 01:12 AM)cincyfan429 Wrote: I find it hard to believe that a team that has not won a playoff game in 25 years has a stat that is 37-1-2 but I'll go with it. It's a bad pick at 9 that's for sure. Trade down to 20 and ok I can deal with it, but not at 9.

Wouldn't have been there at 20.  Corey Davis at #5?  Mike Williams at #7?  The WRs came off the board early.

Marvin said that the phone didn't ring and that there wasn't much interest in moving down at #9, so you take the best player, which I feel we did.

There was a lot of buzz about Allen not being loved by the NFL GMs as much as the media.  He's undersized for a DT and slow for a DE.  I think he would have struggled here as a 4-3 end.
(04-28-2017, 12:17 AM)J24 Wrote: He reminds me of Torrey Smith not great but good. Top 10 picks should be great not good though and I feel like Allen would have given us a generation type player at the 3 technique.

If he turns out to be Torrey Smith-caliber, then I think it's a win.  A young Torrey Smith running alongside AJ Green would be some shit.
Meh.

4.22 speed will be tempered by slowing down to catch an under thrown ball.
(04-28-2017, 01:25 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Wouldn't have been there at 20.  Corey Davis at #5?  Mike Williams at #7?  The WRs came off the board early.

Marvin said that the phone didn't ring and that there wasn't much interest in moving down at #9, so you take the best player, which I feel we did.

There was a lot of buzz about Allen not being loved by the NFL GMs as much as the media.  He's undersized for a DT and slow for a DE.  I think he would have struggled here as a 4-3 end.

Barnett was there, O.J. Howard, Hooker, not just Allen but three other players who could come in day 1 and contribute. Ross may turn out decent, but he has already said he will miss the rookie mini-camp and believes he'll be ready for training camp. I just don't think he's going to make the kind of impact this year a guy like Howard or Barnett would have, or even Foster or Reddick. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

(04-28-2017, 01:00 AM)Beaker Wrote: Or...a guy who can turn a 7 yd quick slant or bubble screen into a 77 yd TD.

Right. Not to mention, he caught some lousy passes in college and turned them into BIG plays. A lot of the analysts pointed out his route running savy, more than his legitimate speed. Everyone keeps saying "Oh this is an Al Davis pick because of speed." The Al Davis speed picks couldn't run routes like this guy. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
(04-28-2017, 01:34 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Meh.

4.22 speed will be tempered by slowing down to catch an under thrown ball.

I love comments like this. It literally takes a ten second YouTube search to see how BS this is. Dalton's arm isn't Cam Newtons, nor was it evaluated to be this. I don't know why anyone makes comments like this. Secondly, majority of Dalton's throws are actually on target, or a little bit ahead. 

You go ahead and take your Byron Leftwich arm...I'll stick with Dalton.

It's more so an Andy Dalton stat. So. I mean......
And they never scored more than 17 points in the playoffs under Marvin Lewis. Ever.
And they've only reached that milestone once.

He wouldn't be there at 20. And why is it a bad pick?
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
(04-28-2017, 01:58 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: It's more so an Andy Dalton stat. So. I mean......
And they never scored more than 17 points in the playoffs under Marvin Lewis. Ever.
And they've only reached that milestone once.

He wouldn't be there at 20. And why is it a bad pick?

This. All the issues with Marvin were the same issues with Palmer and the Palmer team. Which was a completely different team...yet, still struggled primetime and the playoffs. People seem to forget this time and time again.

I also 100% agree. Ross would have NOT been there in the 20.