Poll: Are you happy with the John Ross pick?
This poll is closed.
Yes
47.87%
90 47.87%
No
32.45%
61 32.45%
Indifferent
19.68%
37 19.68%
Total 188 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you happy with the John Ross Pick Poll
I think Tobin or whoever was stubborn with this pick. Allen would have been a beast with Geno. OJ would have caused nightmares for teams. Hooker could have been our Ed Reed or at least Nelson back. We have a QB who constantly under throws Green, most times Green can go up and fight for it. Im sure someone will come up with some stats about Daltons deep ball. We all see the under throws. This kid is not going to win those balls. For everyone who thinks he's going to be a quick slant guy, really...How long will that last. Who cares how fast he is when he's injured. If its true we didnt get a call to trade back then we should have passed on him. I hope the kid does well, I really do. I just hate the spot he was picked with the other players on the board. Maybe nobody called cause everyone knew who we was picking. Hell everyone on this board did. both teams behind us moved back. Maybe Lap needs to keep his mouth shut so we can get some trade back calls. He said Fuller last year and a team traded up ahead of us to take him. Now nobody calls? wonder why. Look I hope this works out, I just think its too much of a risk with the 9 pick and other needs we have. I just think OJ would have been perfect while there are plenty of HEALTY "fast" WR's later in this draft that would have made more sense. OJ could have helped with the poor line blocking or doing some damage while another speedster is stretching the field. Likei said I hope it works out, I just would have went in another direction.
(04-28-2017, 02:08 AM)TKUHL Wrote: I think Tobin or whoever was stubborn with this pick. Allen would have been a beast with Geno. OJ would have caused nightmares for teams. Hooker could have been our Ed Reed or at least Nelson back. We have a QB who constantly under throws Green, most times Green can go up and fight for it. Im sure someone will come up with some stats about Daltons deep ball. We all see the under throws. This kid is not going to win those balls. For everyone who thinks he's going to be a quick slant guy, really...How long  will that last. Who cares how fast he is when he's injured. If its true we didnt get a call to trade back then we should have passed on him. I hope the kid does well, I really do. I just hate the spot he was picked with the other players on the board. Maybe nobody called cause everyone knew who we was picking. Hell everyone on this board did. both teams behind us moved back. Maybe Lap needs to keep his mouth shut so we can get some trade back calls. He said Fuller last year and a team traded up ahead of us to take him. Now nobody calls? wonder why. Look I hope this works out, I just think its too much of a risk with the 9 pick and other needs we have. I just think OJ would have been perfect while there are plenty of HEALTY "fast" WR's later in this draft that would have made more sense. OJ could have helped with the poor line blocking or doing some damage while another speedster is stretching the field. Likei said I hope it works out, I just would have went in another direction.

Again...another person saying Dalton under throws...He actually doesn't. Not as frequent as everyone is making it seem. Seriously, a quick youtube search of our receiver highlights and you can see plenty of throws in stride. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
I think its a bad pick because off all of his injuries. Some teams said they took him off there board because off all his injuries. Plus we need a pass rusher. But having said that I wanted them to take Ruben Foster you watch that guy is going to be a stud in the NFL. That bought in on Ross after his 40 time but Tavon Austin had a good 40 a few years ago and he was a bad pick at 8 for the Rams.
(04-28-2017, 02:08 AM)TKUHL Wrote: I think Tobin or whoever was stubborn with this pick. Allen would have been a beast with Geno. OJ would have caused nightmares for teams. Hooker could have been our Ed Reed or at least Nelson back. We have a QB who constantly under throws Green, most times Green can go up and fight for it. Im sure someone will come up with some stats about Daltons deep ball. We all see the under throws. This kid is not going to win those balls. For everyone who thinks he's going to be a quick slant guy, really...How long  will that last. Who cares how fast he is when he's injured. If its true we didnt get a call to trade back then we should have passed on him. I hope the kid does well, I really do. I just hate the spot he was picked with the other players on the board. Maybe nobody called cause everyone knew who we was picking. Hell everyone on this board did. both teams behind us moved back. Maybe Lap needs to keep his mouth shut so we can get some trade back calls. He said Fuller last year and a team traded up ahead of us to take him. Now nobody calls? wonder why. Look I hope this works out, I just think its too much of a risk with the 9 pick and other needs we have. I just think OJ would have been perfect while there are plenty of HEALTY "fast" WR's later in this draft that would have made more sense. OJ could have helped with the poor line blocking or doing some damage while another speedster is stretching the field. Likei said I hope it works out, I just would have went in another direction.

Allen is not a nose tackle. He would be a better fit as a 3-technique at defensive tackle. Such as what Geno Atkins is. And Allen isn't taking his place.
Hooker could be a lot of things, but he's also a one year wonder. You never know how those produce.
Not even getting into the underthrow conversation.
You talk about healthy, but ignore the fact that Allen fell because of injury problems. He has arthritic shoulders. And it scared teams off.
OJ Howard isn't that great. Also, you said "another speedster stretching the field". Who's our speedster?

I understand wanting to go in a different direction. But Ross has tremendous upside and outside of the "healthy" part, what's bad about his play? Smaller, yes. Sturggles sometimes against more physical CBs. But he is very solid and numerous sources say he would be their #1 if not for the injury history.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
(04-28-2017, 01:57 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I love comments like this. It literally takes a ten second YouTube search to see how BS this is. Dalton's arm isn't Cam Newtons, nor was it evaluated to be this. I don't know why anyone makes comments like this. Secondly, majority of Dalton's throws are actually on target, or a little bit ahead. 

You go ahead and take your Byron Leftwich arm...I'll stick with Dalton.

From watching what would have been an A.J. Green TD running into the end zone untouched if the ball were delivered in stride to instead watching A.J. tackled because he had to slow down to catch an underthrown ball multiple times over the years.

I like how you've taken a single critical comment about Dalton and turned it into an endorsement for Byron Leftwich. That's the type of rational debate that really makes me reconsider what I've seen with my own eyes. Thanks.
(04-28-2017, 02:19 AM)cincyfan429 Wrote: I think its a bad pick because off all of his injuries. Some teams said they took him off there board because off all his injuries. Plus we need a pass rusher. But having said that I wanted them to take Ruben Foster you watch that guy is going to be a stud in the NFL. That bought in on Ross after his 40 time but Tavon Austin had a good 40 a few years ago and he was a bad pick at 8 for the Rams.

Tavon Austin and John Ross aren't the same players at all. John Ross is a more polished WR who has an expansive route tree, foot technique, and wins with tremendous fakes.

Sure, injury concerns are there and I understand that. But Foster is also injured and had a diluted sample at the combine and obviously the whole blow up he had there.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
(04-28-2017, 02:21 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: From watching what would have been an A.J. Green TD running into the end zone untouched if the ball were delivered in stride to instead watching A.J. tackled because he had to slow down to catch an underthrown ball multiple times over the years.

I like how you've taken a single critical comment about Dalton and turned it into an endorsement for Byron Leftwich. That's the type of rational debate that really makes me reconsider what I've seen with my own eyes. Thanks.

And you take one single play, and exploit it to include all Dalton's throws. Again, go look at highlights, plenty of his throws are on stride. Perfectly thrown. Dalton's deep ball accuracy is some of the best in the league, and that doesn't ALWAYS include AJ Green. So, I feel like that comment is completely unfair and inaccurate (pun?) for Dalton.

And no, I wasn't endorsing Leftwich, but rather the talent in the strength of his arm. That was a quick go to. Perhaps I should have went with a more premiere talent in Cam Newton. Powerful arm, but statistically doesn't have much to show for it (other than his rushing stats, which I won't include in the passing debate). Dude overthrows receivers, and struggles with accuracy. Oooooooooh well.

I voted no simply because so many other top players were sitting there and to then reach for the #3 WR with a fairly long injury history was not the sure impact player I was looking for from the #9 pick. Seems like a lot of hope and prayer in this pick.

Hopefully we'll see the team come back in day two and get some defensive talent.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

(04-28-2017, 02:29 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: And you take one single play, and exploit it to include all Dalton's throws. Again, go look at highlights, plenty of his throws are on stride. Perfectly thrown. Dalton's deep ball accuracy is some of the best in the league, and that doesn't ALWAYS include AJ Green. So, I feel like that comment is completely unfair and inaccurate (pun?) for Dalton.

And no, I wasn't endorsing Leftwich, but rather the talent in the strength of his arm. That was a quick go to. Perhaps I should have went with a more premiere talent in Cam Newton. Powerful arm, but statistically doesn't have much to show for it (other than his rushing stats, which I won't include in the passing debate). Dude overthrows receivers, and struggles with accuracy. Oooooooooh well.

One single play?
(04-28-2017, 02:39 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Hopefully we'll see the team come back in day two and get some defensive talent.

I hope you're right and we target as much talent in the defense in the coming rounds. 

Wanted Barnett, but I'm excited to have such a burner opposite AJ. Voted happy. I'm coming around on this pick the more tape I watch.

(04-27-2017, 11:54 PM)09ItsOurTime Wrote: Are you happy with the John Ross pick?

I didn't want a WR...I'm VERY interested now in what positions we fill in rounds 2 and 3.   A great pick 41 will make me like pick 9 more....They have to follow this questionable WR pick with a great pick 41.   

Players not drafted are RB-Dalvin Cook, DT- Malik McDowell, CB-Kevin King, CB-Chidobe Awuzie, OG-Forrest Lamp, OT- Cam Robinson,  QB- Deshone Kiser, OLB - Zach Cunningham,  OLB- Tyus Bowser, FS-Budda Baker, FS- Marcus Sandees-Williams, DT-Chris Worley,  DE-Carl Lawson,  and the much talked about on here RB-Mixon....and others Bengals may be eyeing at pick 41. 

Considering these players still on the board and we draft 9th in round 2,  If we hit a home run on that pick, I'll like the first round pick even more.  Ross is the fastest player in the draft. He is like Bobby Hayes, Worlds Fastest Human, for old time NFL fans who remember who Cowboys Bobby Hayes was.   I can see Green, and LaFell and Boyd and Eifert and Ross and Core being a real pain in the rear end for teams to cover.  I would guess the idea is to throw the ball.    GREEN SHOULD SEE LESS DOUBLE COVERAGE WITH THESE WR's,  UNLIKE PLAY-OFF LOSSES GREEN ALWAYS DOUBLE TEAMED. 

a Lamp replaces losing Zietler. a McDowell replaces losing Peko. a Cunningham or Bowser replaces losing Maualuga and Dansby. A Cook or Mixon replaces losing Burkhead. My opinion of this Pick 1 depends greatly on what Bengals do tonight in rounds 2 and 3. They need to follow up with very good picks, very good picks. because where they draft they should get very good picks.
1968 Bengal Fan
(04-28-2017, 02:21 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Allen is not a nose tackle. He would be a better fit as a 3-technique at defensive tackle. Such as what Geno Atkins is. And Allen isn't taking his place.
Hooker could be a lot of things, but he's also a one year wonder. You never know how those produce.
Not even getting into the underthrow conversation.
You talk about healthy, but ignore the fact that Allen fell because of injury problems. He has arthritic shoulders. And it scared teams off.
OJ Howard isn't that great. Also, you said "another speedster stretching the field". Who's our speedster?

I understand wanting to go in a different direction. But Ross has tremendous upside and outside of the "healthy" part, what's bad about his play? Smaller, yes. Sturggles sometimes against more physical CBs. But he is very solid and numerous sources say he would be their #1 if not for the injury history.
Allen "might" have issues down the road. Years down the road. After we let him walk after his rookie deal.

There are other "fast" WR's that would have been around in the later rounds.

40 Times
Curtis Samuel 4.31
Josh Malone 4.40
KD Cannon 4.41
Chris Godwin 4.42

Thats just it though. Sources say he would have been a #1 IF NOT FOR THE INJURY HISTORY. 

Everyone seems to be so fixated on the 40 time that they are just ignoring all the warning signs. Its frustrating taking a gamble on such a injury prone receiver of his size and even more frustrating that good durable players at other positions of greater need was passed on.
(04-28-2017, 01:32 AM)samhain Wrote: If he turns out to be Torrey Smith-caliber, then I think it's a win.  A young Torrey Smith running alongside AJ Green would be some shit.

I agree with that but would it have been as sweet as having a combination of a young Geno Atkins with the current version of Geno Atkins like we could of had with Allen. Or pairing a young Gronk with Tyler Eifert like we could have had with Howard . Or simply adding a poentional ED Reed to this defense like we could have had with the Ohio State safety.
I don't think Ross is a bad player or we look at it as a total bust years from now but I do think we will say man why didn't we draft one of those guys that could have been special. Its not a bad pick but it isn't a great pick either. Anyways our defense is good but nothing special and our offense is still very suspect because of our line. Can we win  a title like that with a good but not great D and an below average offense? I don't think so but I know you can win with a great defense with a slightly below average offense. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Yep. It's a shame the entire history of this team will be defined by 1 guy. Come on people there are 10 picks left.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Just thought I'd drop in and say that Dalton's deep throws definitely are definitely the weakest part of his game. He's serviceable for sure but I understand people questioning whether we'll be able to utilize Ross.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
I think we can all agree it's at least better than the Bears pick....

I don't fall in love with any draft pick, but it really comes down to how they play come game day.  If Ross lives up to the billing he'll give defenses nightmares trying to cover him, AJ, Boyde and Eifert all on the field at the same time. That's 4 real ballers out there to try to cover assuming they're all healthy at the same time.  
I'm neither hyped up nor depressed, but cautiously optimistic that it's going to turn out to be hell on defenses. Now if the Oline doesn't get Andy and McC killed... 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

(04-27-2017, 11:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Very happy. Go back to SoCal where this guy murdered Adoree Jackson SoCal.

John Ross is an amazing talent all over the board with great routes, hands, greatest speed ever, set ups, shit, the dude be The Flash.

Call it.

I am a little drunk but would of loved the pick before and really love it now. Mellow
You beat me to it!  I was going to call him The Flash as well.
Not a huge fan of the pick at all. Would much rather traded back and maybe got a 1st round pick next year like they did after us for a QB (chiefs trading up), but if Ross can stay healthy I will be Ok with this pick.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.