Poll: Are you happy with the John Ross pick?
This poll is closed.
Yes
47.87%
90 47.87%
No
32.45%
61 32.45%
Indifferent
19.68%
37 19.68%
Total 188 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you happy with the John Ross Pick Poll
(04-28-2017, 03:02 AM)kevin Wrote: I didn't want a WR...I'm VERY interested now in what positions we fill in rounds 2 and 3.   A great pick 41 will make me like pick 9 more....They have to follow this questionable WR pick with a great pick 41.   

Players not drafted are RB-Dalvin Cook, DT- Malik McDowell, CB-Kevin King, CB-Chidobe Awuzie, OG-Forrest Lamp, OT- Cam Robinson,  QB- Deshone Kiser, OLB - Zach Cunningham,  OLB- Tyus Bowser, FS-Budda Baker, FS- Marcus Sandees-Williams, DT-Chris Worley,  DE-Carl Lawson,  and the much talked about on here RB-Mixon....and others Bengals may be eyeing at pick 41. 

Considering these players still on the board and we draft 9th in round 2,  If we hit a home run on that pick, I'll like the first round pick even more.  Ross is the fastest player in the draft. He is like Bobby Hayes, Worlds Fastest Human, for old time NFL fans who remember who Cowboys Bobby Hayes was.   I can see Green, and LaFell and Boyd and Eifert and Ross and Core being a real pain in the rear end for teams to cover.  I would guess the idea is to throw the ball.    GREEN SHOULD SEE LESS DOUBLE COVERAGE WITH THESE WR's,  UNLIKE PLAY-OFF LOSSES GREEN ALWAYS DOUBLE TEAMED. 

a Lamp replaces losing Zietler.  a McDowell replaces losing Peko.  a Cunningham or Bowser replaces losing Maualuga and Dansby.  A Cook or Mixon replaces losing Burkhead.   My opinion of this Pick 1 depends greatly on what Bengals do tonight in rounds 2 and 3.   They need to follow up with very good picks, very good picks. because where they draft they should get very good picks.

I think we just drafted our own Antonio Brown.  Brown is 5'10, Ross is 5'11.  Brown is fast.  Ross might be faster.  And bonus: Ross has AJ Green lining up opposite him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Happy, at least bengals are swinging for the fences. If you want to see bengals win this year... This is your guy. Since margins contract is up after this year he likely is trying to win now.

If he doesn't play and bengals suck, Marvin is likely gone.

I think he plays 13+ games and is a true difference maker for the bengals (like fuller for Texans but with better qb play. And he is a better wr)

Like others have said he would t have lasted long on the board with the impact WR coming off the board stupid early. I wanted Allen and Howard but as they fell and fell... And fell it just made me realize bengals made the right pick at 9.

I give it an B+. If they could have potentially traded back 2 picks and picked him up it would have been an A but I'm not sure he gets past bills or saints or whoever trades up.
Speed is great; I can appreciate what John Ross brings to the Bengals in that respect. Lining Ross up opposite AJ Green might cause some indecisive play from opposing secondaries too. Still, Ross doesn't sound like a Mike Brown, Marvin Lewis, or even Duke Tobin type pick. This pick seems more Al Davis- or Jerry Jones-like.
I hate to give an instant reaction online because even though it was expected I still couldn't believe they passed on Allen and to a lesser extent on Hooker. BPA should have had us taking one of those guys that were top 5 talents. With that said, this picks all comes down to health. If he is healthy and on the field for us then he instantly improves the offense. I put impartial on the poll for now because I want to see the guy making plays in the regular season before I can truly be ecstatic about this selection. When Hooker is going to multiple Pro Bowls and Jonathan Allen has an instant impact this year I just hope Ross is out on the field making plays like he is capable of when healthy.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
(04-28-2017, 09:08 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Speed is great; I can appreciate what John Ross brings to the Bengals in that respect.  Lining Ross up opposite AJ Green might cause some indecisive play from opposing secondaries too.  Still, Ross doesn't sound like a Mike Brown, Marvin Lewis, or even Duke Tobin type pick.  This pick seems more Al Davis- or Jerry Jones-like.

Yawn    Please explain?  Because he is fast?  He is a much better WR prospect than Darius Hayward bey.... Oh yea and he is faster.   Now any time the bengals draft a good prospect, but they are also fast it is a bad move?  I think even if he runs a 4.28 the bengals would
Have taken him.  Clearly something there that they like.

And I don't get the jerry jones comment at all.
Nope, Not happy... but hopeful. I just don't see using a first round pick on a guy who has this much injury list, and may not even play this season. We could have filled some other needs before choosing Ross. After his combine run he limped off the field. The Bengals always seem to go after the spotted player, attitude, court system, injury, cheap older players, I am wondering why. Does not make sense. However we will have to wait and see what happens.
(04-28-2017, 06:56 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I think we just drafted our own Antonio Brown.  Brown is 5'10, Ross is 5'11.  Brown is fast.  Ross might be faster.  And bonus:  Ross has AJ Green lining up opposite him.

This is the silver lining I am hoping for, but I hope the Bengals did not go towards him due to Brown comparison.  However Brown went in the 6th Round I believe...  I just don't see us picking a player with questionable health, who might play this year or might not, in the first round when in all honestly our WR Core is not as bad as our OL, or Tackles, or DE (Johnson).  Something is not right about this pick.   So many other Solid options, and we should just let him slide cause I have a feeling he was going to go 2nd round deep.  But I am just Salty cause we didn't get Mike Williams...   Wink
(04-28-2017, 12:38 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Picking Ross adds a weapon. The problem is that they stayed put and drafted Ross at 9. Multiple teams wanted a QB, and subsequently paid a premium. The Bengals likely could've had Ross in the teens, or Howard, or Hooker, or Reddick.

What people aren't understanding about this trading down thing is the simple concept of supply and demand.

The demand for teams to trade down in this draft was absurdly high, and unfortunately, none of these teams were able to hide that fact. There was so much middle of the pack talent from pick 7 all the way to the 20's. Lots of good talent, not a ton of great talent.

Bengals went high upside here, which is what they always do in the drat. I have no issues with this pick.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
(04-28-2017, 09:42 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: Nope, Not happy... but hopeful.  I just don't see using a first round pick on a guy who has this much injury list, and may not even play this season.  We could have filled some other needs before choosing Ross.  After his combine run he limped off the field.  The Bengals always seem to go after the spotted player, attitude, court system, injury, cheap older players, I am wondering why.  Does not make sense.  However we will have to wait and see what happens.

Yeh, you gotta be hopeful. But, you ever notice how NOBODY can call a Bengals pick? Allen was the obvious choice in a position of need. To me, picking Ross indicates they feel they think they screwed up picking the young players we already have, and we actually need a WR. If injury concerns were a problem with Allen, then OJ Howard would have made sense. Next up : we get to see if they also think they screwed up with their OL picks in the last couple of years and grab another lineman with the next pick. IF they go defense, it means they have more confidence in the OL than most of us on here. We will see.
(04-28-2017, 09:50 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: What people aren't understanding about this trading down thing is the simple concept of supply and demand.

The demand for teams to trade down in this draft was absurdly high, and unfortunately, none of these teams were able to hide that fact. There was so much middle of the pack talent from pick 7 all the way to the 20's. Lots of good talent, not a ton of great talent.

Bengals went high upside here, which is what they always do in the drat. I have no issues with this pick.

This guy does have high upside...but he also is a HUGE risk with the injury factor. He's a 5 foot 10, 188 lb receiver. He may not be tall enough to play outside and may end up being a slot receiver.

It wasn't a bad pick. As you said, at the spot we were at there wasn't great talent. Hooker and Lattimore have a lot of questions as they only started 1 year.

Allen had the shoulder injury.

Another thing I like about this pick is that generally the Bengals are good at finding WR's in the draft. It's probably their best position overall drafting.

Now...this guy just has to turn into a young Desean Jackson.
(04-28-2017, 09:55 AM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Yeh, you gotta be hopeful. But, you ever notice how NOBODY can call a Bengals pick? Allen was the obvious choice in a position of need. To me, picking Ross indicates they feel they think they screwed up picking the young players we already have, and we actually need a WR. If injury concerns were a problem with Allen, then OJ Howard would have made sense. Next up : we get to see if they also think they screwed up with their OL picks in the last couple of years and grab another lineman with the next pick. IF they go defense, it means they have more confidence in the OL than most of us on here. We will see.

yeah, something is a bit off especially like you are saying, we just picked up Tyler Boyd 2nd Round, this pick does not make any sense to me whatsoever in the First Round/First Pick for us.
I am hoping his speed and I am hoping it is this year, will allow AJ to become more of a 7-10 yard receiver and double teaming him will be an issue for defenses. So we can start picking up first downs and not have to rely on 3rd and long as much. This is something, that will be good to have speed on one side, it gives us an option of turning the heat up down field with AJ doing most of the damage with shorter yard gains since this will keep the ball moving.
I might be the happiest Bengals fan on this forum regarding the Ross selection.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Initially no... I thought there was better value... But his speed if we use him right will definitely help us and out OL woes...

Idk about his return abilities but I can only imagine how many ankles he can break.

Get the ball in his hands and let him run sweeps reverses screens quick slants. And he is suppose to be really good at the comeback route(or some other route Dalton throws a lot)

Only concern is his health.. but there are smaller WRs in the league and right now the health isn't a huge concern as he just broke CJ2k's 40 so he is healthy now.

Big question is how much we will use him with AJ Boyd and Lafell
(04-28-2017, 09:55 AM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Yeh, you gotta be hopeful. But, you ever notice how NOBODY can call a Bengals pick? Allen was the obvious choice in a position of need. To me, picking Ross indicates they feel they think they screwed up picking the young players we already have, and we actually need a WR. If injury concerns were a problem with Allen, then OJ Howard would have made sense. Next up : we get to see if they also think they screwed up with their OL picks in the last couple of years and grab another lineman with the next pick. IF they go defense, it means they have more confidence in the OL than most of us on here. We will see.

Dave Lapham would beg to differ.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(04-28-2017, 10:10 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: yeah, something is a bit off especially like you are saying, we just picked up Tyler Boyd 2nd Round, this pick does not make any sense to me whatsoever in the First Round/First Pick for us.

The Boyd pick was us needing a WR after Jones and Sanu left. We targeted other guys. They were gone. We took the best available in Boyd.

There is some redundancy with Boyd and Ross though.

I think it has more to do with when AJ was hurt last year we had no speed at WR it seemed.

Just because we draft another OL doesn't mean they think they screwed up you always gotta have depth... And we will be looking interior OL OG/C if anything Andre Smith is a stop gap and the jury is still out on the other 2 tackles.
It'd be a great pick if we had an offensive line worth a shit. What's the point in having weapons if the QB gets smeared before he can read his progressions?
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
(04-28-2017, 12:01 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: NO!  

He's fast, congrats, but Howard was still on the board!  Ross is fast, ok, he'll be tough to cover deep, but that's a one-trick-pony.  Howard could have made plays all over the field and occupied safeties deep just as well because you're not covering him one-on-one, especially not with a linebacker.

Cry

I too would of rather we picked Howard....
i'm thinking if we use Ross as a punt or kick off returner he's going to get injured.....
w/ Howard he's a stud & would not be injury prone...
but whatever....it is what it is....
i'm not against this pick, I just see it as risky....i'd of preferred Howard
(04-28-2017, 10:22 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: It'd be a great pick if we had an offensive line worth a shit. What's the point in having weapons if the QB gets smeared before he can read his progressions?

As I posted somewhere this is what is unsettling about this pick.  We have issues already we are dealing with, OL, Defense, DE, Tackle, and then we go get a WR that might not be able to play this year...  Our Core WR is not that bad.  I am moody about this pick, but if Mike Williams was still on the board, I would have been happy, so I still can't say too much about take a WR.  I know Mike Williams would have been dominate with AJ no doubts.