Poll: Are you in favor of stacking the Supreme Court?
Yes
No
Something about Abraham Lincoln
All of Trump's judicial nominations are white!
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you in favor of stacking the Supreme Court?
(10-15-2020, 07:08 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have purchased two firearms in my life; both of them pistols. Everything else I own has been inherited. One of them I have owned since the day I was born. It's an early 20th century assault rife, otherwise known as a cavalry gun. LOL

Very cool!

I bought a Ruger 10 22 for target shooting.  They are inexpensive.  Then I happened on a deal I couldn't pass up.  I got a Remington 1100 with Deer barrel in perfect condition for 150 and a Winchester model 70 30 06 in perfect condition for 175.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 12:44 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I loved shooting my buddies M4.  When I was looking to buy a shotgun earlier this year, I wasn't about to pay the ridiculous markup that was being asked.  Between Obama 'takin all r guns', this pandemic / riot hysterics and the upcoming unfolding of hells gates with the election; some of these 'private sellers' have to be absolutely elated.

I'm curious, I haven't shopped a new firearm in almost a year.  What shotgun were you looking at and for how much?

I am interested in getting a Mossberg 590M, which would be my first Mossberg.  I could order it through Pro Force but having just bought a house my discretionary income has taken a major hit.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2020, 11:52 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm curious, I haven't shopped a new firearm in almost a year.  What shotgun were you looking at and for how much?

I am interested in getting a Mossberg 590M, which would be my first Mossberg.  I could order it through Pro Force but having just bought a house my discretionary income has taken a major hit.

Honestly, I haven't seen too much of a markup on firearms in my area, which has been nice. However, finding ammunition is ***** impossible. Between the hysteria around the pandemic, the electoral fear mongering, and the supply chain issues with the manufacturers, you're SOL for 9mm, .308/7.62x51, .223/5.56, and anything other than birdshot for your 12 ga. I actually just got back from my local ag co-op, which is also my go-to sporting goods store, and peeped their ammunition inventory. They didn't even have any .22LR or .357 magnum for me to snag. I did see some .30-06, but that was the only caliber out of what I own that was on the shelf.

Good thing I was just there to get a new knife. I did almost get a new gun, but I was already spending $200, so I reined myself in.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2020, 12:22 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Honestly, I haven't seen too much of a markup on firearms in my area, which has been nice. However, finding ammunition is ***** impossible. Between the hysteria around the pandemic, the electoral fear mongering, and the supply chain issues with the manufacturers, you're SOL for 9mm, .308/7.62x51, .223/5.56, and anything other than birdshot for your 12 ga. I actually just got back from my local ag co-op, which is also my go-to sporting goods store, and peeped their ammunition inventory. They didn't even have any .22LR or .357 magnum for me to snag. I did see some .30-06, but that was the only caliber out of what I own that was on the shelf.

Good thing I was just there to get a new knife. I did almost get a new gun, but I was already spending $200, so I reined myself in.

Luckily I stocked up big time on ammo before our dumb as shit ammunition background check law went into effect and prohibited buying online (I can still do so but the suppliers are much more limited), so I'm good on ammo. Plus I own at least one firearm in every common caliber and several outside the norm such as 45-70 govt., .458 Socom, .357 Sig, 8mm Mauser and 5.45x39 so I can usually find something to buy.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2020, 03:26 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Luckily I stocked up big time on ammo before our dumb as shit ammunition background check law went into effect and prohibited buying online (I can still do so but the suppliers are much more limited), so I'm good on ammo. Plus I own at least one firearm in every common caliber and several outside the norm such as 45-70 govt., .458 Socom, .357 Sig, 8mm Mauser and 5.45x39 so I can usually find something to buy.

Wait, you are talking about this? You've got ammo for a Springfield 45-70? Rimfire?

[Image: 1024px-Springfield_Trapdoor_breech_open.JPG]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
For being so anti-gay Republicans in congress sure love political theater.  Ninja

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2020, 10:56 PM)Dill Wrote: Wait, you are talking about this? You've got ammo for a Springfield 45-70? Rimfire?

[Image: 1024px-Springfield_Trapdoor_breech_open.JPG]

45-70 Government was a very popular cartridge with the US military and the round still sees use today, mostly in lever action rifles or single shots.  The only real difference (metals used aside) is the modern round doesn't use black powder.  I have a 45-70 lever action Marlin from Grizzly Customs.  The 45-70 is a nice round for hunting in dense brush as it's a heavy, slower (relative to a .308 for example) round that will plow through brush and be far less likely to get knocked off course.

Plus there's something very satisfying about shooting a nice lever action.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 08:41 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: 45-70 Government was a very popular cartridge with the US military and the round still sees use today, mostly in lever action rifles or single shots.  The only real difference (metals used aside) is the modern round doesn't use black powder.  I have a 45-70 lever action Marlin from Grizzly Customs.  The 45-70 is a nice round for hunting in dense brush as it's a heavy, slower (relative to a .308 for example) round that will plow through brush and be far less likely to get knocked off course.

Plus there's something very satisfying about shooting a nice lever action.

I know of the caliber and US Army model Springfields because I used to live below Custer Battlefield. Slugs and casings still turn up around there. Plus my cousin has a cavalry model 1873 Springfield, though I have never fired it.  

I didn't know people were still using 45-70s for anything, or that Marlin had a lever action. That thing must buck a little when fired. Guessing the cartridge is centerfire too. The originals were rimfire. 

I've got a lever-action Winchester 38-40, but it's not good for much. Not hunting deer anyway. (But its a family heirloom.)
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 01:03 AM)Dill Wrote: I know of the caliber and US Army model Springfields because I used to live below Custer Battlefield. Slugs and casings still turn up around there. Plus my cousin has a cavalry model 1873 Springfield, though I have never fired it.  

I didn't know people were still using 45-70s for anything, or that Marlin had a lever action. That thing must buck a little when fired. Guessing the cartridge is centerfire too. The originals were rimfire.

It's most certainly centerfire.  The cartridge never really went away, but it's had a bit of a resurgence for the reasons above.  It certainly has some recoil, but I have several big bore rifles so I'm a bit used to it.  It's certainly not what I'd introduce people to shooting with.  Marlin used to be the gold standard of lever action rifles, but the quality control took a steep drop once they were bought out by Remington.  The post buy out guns are referred to as Remlins and are not nearly as desirable.  I have a post buyout model, but the Grizzly Customs guy, who is awesome btw, eliminates literally all of the defects of the newer guns in his customization.  If you care to read it, the linked article is not only about the same gun, but it's actually the gun I own.  The Grizzly Customs guy asked if he could loan it out for this review prior to delivery and threw in some extras for the wait.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/grizzly-customs-1895-outback-guide-gun-in-45-70-government/

Quote:I've got a lever-action Winchester 38-40, but it's not good for much. Not hunting deer anyway. (But its a family heirloom.)

Nice.  I have an old 30-30 that I've actually never fired and probably never will.  It belonged to my grandfather.  It's in my dad's safe so I'm honestly not even sure of the make and model.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 01:03 AM)Dill Wrote: I've got a lever-action Winchester 38-40, but it's not good for much. Not hunting deer anyway. (But its a family heirloom.)

(10-20-2020, 01:18 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Nice.  I have an old 30-30 that I've actually never fired and probably never will.  It belonged to my grandfather.  It's in my dad's safe so I'm honestly not even sure of the make and model.

My first firearm, that I have owned since I was born, is a Winchester 1894 in .30-30 that belonged to my grandfather. Based on the serial number, it comes from 1921 (IIRC), is nickel steel, and still has the saddle ring. It's in great condition even though that rifle has probably killed more deer and bear than I could count. It would be worth a pretty penny except for one thing. The old front sights on those rifles were terrible, bulky blades that were far from the greatest. My grandfather, therefore, replaced the front sight with something more practical.

I still use it for hunting because it is an outstanding deer and bear rifle in the Appalachian forests.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 08:37 PM)GMDino Wrote: For being so anti-gay Republicans in congress sure love political theater.  Ninja

For someone who purports to hate homophobia, that's an oddly homophobic thing to say. 
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 01:06 PM)PhilHos Wrote: For someone who purports to hate homophobia, that's an oddly homophobic thing to say. 

" Ninja"

Don't clutch the pearls too much.  Most people get the joke.  

Also it was the first actual post on the topic of the thread in a couple pages.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 01:08 PM)GMDino Wrote: " Ninja"

Don't clutch the pearls too much.  Most people get the joke.  

No, I got it, too. It's just nice to see that it's okay to call people gay as long as they're Republicans. Rolleyes

(10-20-2020, 01:08 PM)GMDino Wrote: Also it was the first actual post on the topic of the thread in a couple pages.

I'll give you that much. 
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 01:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: No, I got it, too. It's just nice to see that it's okay to call people gay as long as they're Republicans. Rolleyes

I'll give you that much. 

It's also an odd accusation to make given the Dem senators performance during the Barrett hearings.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 07:56 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: My first firearm, that I have owned since I was born, is a Winchester 1894 in .30-30 that belonged to my grandfather. Based on the serial number, it comes from 1921 (IIRC), is nickel steel, and still has the saddle ring. It's in great condition even though that rifle has probably killed more deer and bear than I could count. It would be worth a pretty penny except for one thing. The old front sights on those rifles were terrible, bulky blades that were far from the greatest. My grandfather, therefore, replaced the front sight with something more practical.

I still use it for hunting because it is an outstanding deer and bear rifle in the Appalachian forests.

Yeah, 30-30 is great for deer. 38-40 is basically a pistol cartridge. Not much range or shock power. Holds 12 rounds though.  This is what my model 1892 looks like (though the butt-plate on mine is missing). Saddle ring on the other side. Back sight flips up for those long shots lol. 

[Image: 11015921_1.jpg?v=8CE2D77E2F12030]

(10-20-2020, 01:18 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Nice.  I have an old 30-30 that I've actually never fired and probably never will.  It belonged to my grandfather.  It's in my dad's safe so I'm honestly not even sure of the make and model.

Yeah, I haven't fired mine since I was 16. But it is an heirloom, and I am deciding now which of my nephews it will go to when I'm gone. Surprised you haven't at least tried that old 30-30. Stuff of legends. You want to save that gun.

By the way I enjoyed the article about your Marlin. Were those your review comments?  Beautiful gun. Looks like it would work for Grizzly hunting (if that were legal!). Also looks very "comfortable," easy to carry and use. 

Er, sorry for carrying the thread off topic.  SSF's 45-70 would be an excellent choice for anyone wanting to make a point about court stacking.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Screen-Shot-2017-09-14-at-11.13.20-AM-768x308.jpg
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 09:16 PM)Dill Wrote: Yeah, 30-30 is great for deer. 38-40 is basically a pistol cartridge. Not much range or shock power. Holds 12 rounds though.  This is what my model 1892 looks like (though the butt-plate on mine is missing). Saddle ring on the other side. Back sight flips up for those long shots lol. 

[Image: 11015921_1.jpg?v=8CE2D77E2F12030]

Yeah, I haven't fired mine since I was 16. But it is an heirloom, and I am deciding now which of my nephews it will go to when I'm gone.

Beautiful firearm.  I'm in the same boat.  I don't have kids and never wanted them, but my nephews are only 7 and 9 so I have no idea which one of the, if either, will be into guns.

Quote:Surprised you haven't at least tried that old 30-30. Stuff of legends. You want to save that gun.

I don't think it's been fired in decades.  I gave it a nice cleaning (not a vigorous one, you'd be surprised how much wear some people put on their firearms by over cleaning) but I've never considered firing it.

Quote:By the way I enjoyed the article about your Marlin. Were those your review comments?  Beautiful gun. Looks like it would work for Grizzly hunting (if that were legal!). Also looks very "comfortable," easy to carry and use. 

The article was written by a contributor to that site, the comments are just random users.  I'm glad that Lew threw in some extras because the reviewer had my gun about a month and half longer than he was supposed to.  The guy's business really took off not long after, he's charging around 3.5k for the same set up now.

Quote:Er, sorry for carrying the thread off topic.  SSF's 45-70 would be an excellent choice for anyone wanting to make a point about court stacking.

Eh, no one else has carried on with the thread topic, this was a soft derailment.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 09:35 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Beautiful firearm.  I'm in the same boat.  I don't have kids and never wanted them, but my nephews are only 7 and 9 so I have no idea which one of the, if either, will be into guns.

Well, I do have kids. But they didn't grow up in the West and have no interest in guns. I failed.

My nephs, on the other hand, are ranch-grown, military trained, Montana hunters. And they view the gun as "grandfather's". (He had an old Simmons double-barrel 12 gauge too, which the oldest neph already has; it was damascus barrel, black powder, no one has fired if for over a hundred years.)  Keep old guns in the family. 

They don't have to be "into guns." Time Uncle Sociopath brings the kids in on their heritage! 
Reply/Quote
Well the deed is done. Looks like I’m forced to change my vote to yes.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 11:38 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Well the deed is done. Looks like I’m forced to change my vote to yes.

How many you figure we gonna need? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 12:11 AM)bfine32 Wrote: How many you figure we gonna need? 

I was thinking something fair like every time the GOP pushes through a scotus nominee with a simple majority vote two seats will be added. Since Mitch is the one who changed the rule and decided a pres who most people didn’t vote for and senators who represent a minority of the voters get to force their beliefs on the majority.

Or something simple like two seats will be added for every religious cult the most recent scotus member was a part of.
Reply/Quote