Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Are you prepared?
One day my mom visited. Before she left, she was eating some gourmet cookies (in a tin can) I left by the sink. She asked me where I got those cookies from, they tasted good - I told her I don't have any cookies in my house, what are you talking about. She said right here. I told her those are for our dog, not humans!

When she proceeded to spit them out in the sink I remember laughing my ass off.

Though when looking at the cookies, they were labeled "gourmet" in a tin can, they were probably edible by us.
Reply/Quote
My neighbor when we lived in Valparaiso ate milk bones as a snack. He loved them. He and I were in the 3rd grade at the time.
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 11:16 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Anyway my dog means more to me than any human, or maybe most humans. Most humans are scum, including many in this forum lol. But no dog is.

People give dogs too much credit for just being too stupid to judge people.

The same dog that loves you unconditionally would love a serial baby rapist/murderer and even help him kill his victims if that was who fed him regularly.
Reply/Quote
We're covered for toilet paper (Cottonelle woohoo!) for the foreseeable future. After that initial wave of stupid ran it's course the old woman went on Amazon.com and ordered 2 large boxes..16 rolls per pack, about 40 packs..I won't have to break out the sears catalog ever again.. Heck, Craftsman tools might even have lost their luster by the time we run out...Oh wait..the luster ran off 20 years ago.. Never mind.. I guess I'll start saving Harbor Freight catalogs instead now.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 03:24 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I believe all dog and cat food is regulated and must be safe for human consumption. I was told once this is due to children who may crawl to or eat out of the pets bowl or treat bag. I'm not 100% sure on this, just a tidbit I heard from a customer when our trucking company was assisting in a pet food recall. 

I bought some cheapo dog food years back for my dog back when I still had dogs.. Anyways..My dog began to go bald which remained a mystery until he finished off the 25 pounds.. Soon as I replaced it with brand X his fur began to grow right back. The only requirement on the books is it doesn't kill your dog or kids.. If the letters C H I N A appear anywhere on the labeling all bets are off. You're probably better off using it to absorb oil spills.. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Since this was a tad about the end of civilization as we know it does anyone have any grand plans if nuclear war breaks out? I'm planning on a front row seat where I become instantly vaporized.. The hell with a slow agonizing death from radiation sickness.. Shocked

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 12:08 AM)grampahol Wrote: Since this was a tad about the end of civilization as we know it does anyone have any grand plans if nuclear war breaks out? I'm planning on a front row seat where I become instantly vaporized.. The hell with a slow agonizing death from radiation sickness.. Shocked

[Image: HarshConstantGartersnake-size_restricted.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 12:08 AM)grampahol Wrote: Since this was a tad about the end of civilization as we know it does anyone have any grand plans if nuclear war breaks out? I'm planning on a front row seat where I become instantly vaporized.. The hell with a slow agonizing death from radiation sickness.. Shocked

About 5 years ago I had a client for work that was a cyber security company.  All of the people who worked there were former NSA, NORAD, Spec Ops and Federal/International Intelligence guys.  They said the Front Range (what's just east of the Rockies in Colorado) are number 2 on the hit list should it ever come to nuclear strikes after DC.  So I'm not too worried about being around long if nuclear war broke out  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 11:56 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: About 5 years ago I had a client for work that was a cyber security company.  All of the people who worked there were former NSA, NORAD, Spec Ops and Federal/International Intelligence guys.  They said the Front Range (what's just east of the Rockies in Colorado) are number 2 on the hit list should it ever come to nuclear strikes after DC.  So I'm not too worried about being around long if nuclear war broke out  Mellow

Get a nice, comfy lawn chair just in case, a bottle of booze and maybe even a syringe and a stash of heroin just to ease the initial pain of getting vaporized..  Wink   That's my plan just in case..  Growing up everyone in Dayton, Ohio thought Wright Patterson was big on the targeting list..I lived about a mile or two away from ground zero of WPAFB anyway.. 

Reply/Quote

Not at all about the end of civilization.  I'm not talking about the end of the world, nukes etc.   There is a big difference between a Mad Max scenario and preparing for much more likely situation where one might not have easy access to food, water and other needs for an extended period of time.

We are spoiled. For many people in the US everything they need is within a quick trip to a store or delivered.  I'd be willing to bet that a majority of Americans have no idea how to grow food in a garden, how to can foods, or even how to get by without all necessary resources being delivered to their homes, water, electricity, gas etc.  I don't think it is silly or a joke to be somewhat prepared.   But that is just my opinion.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
George, that is the most detailed posting I've ever seen on here.

It was lots of fun reading the replies, too. I listen to "Coast to Coast" every night (though it's usually a lullaby), and they advertise Patriot Products, which has emergency food supplies. A three-month supply is about $700, and you can even buy a year for $2700. I really wouldn't have a place to store anything in this little apartment, and if a doomsday scenario occurred, I would probably abandon the apartment and go to either of my sister's places in the Shawnee Mission, KS area or to Wilmington where my other sister lives in a parsonage with my bro-in-law. I actually lean toward my Wilmington sister because we get along better.

Seemingly, to me the worst type of disaster would be a total failure of the power grid, either through terrorism or some kind of cataclysmic solar flare. For the nuclear war, there wouldn't be time to set up a lawn chair and drink to the end of the world, but yeah if that happens I'd rather be vaporized instantly.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2022, 08:48 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Not at all about the end of civilization.  I'm not talking about the end of the world, nukes etc.   There is a big difference between a Mad Max scenario and preparing for much more likely situation where one might not have easy access to food, water and other needs for an extended period of time.

It doesn't have to be a "doomsday" scenario.  Just a severe winter ice storm where I live could isolate us without electricity for a week or so.

I am not going to be eating my neighbors, but we do have emergency plans.  We have a generator for enough electricity to power our water pump, freezer, and refrigerator. And we have a wood stove to heat the house and some simple cooking.  I know our generator won't work our stove, but it would work a microwave.

My mom has always bought stuff in bulk to save money.  But even though she has not had a family of 4 to cook for in a long time she still buys groceries like she does.  So we have enough food for weeks.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2022, 09:44 PM)grampahol Wrote: Get a nice, comfy lawn chair just in case, a bottle of booze and maybe even a syringe and a stash of heroin just to ease the initial pain of getting vaporized..  Wink   That's my plan just in case..  Growing up everyone in Dayton, Ohio thought Wright Patterson was big on the targeting list..I lived about a mile or two away from ground zero of WPAFB anyway.. 

I've lived about a mile or so from there for the past for years. According to what I've read, it won't be a vaporized situation if the base is hit (it won't be)... Itsll be more of a case of 100% of your body covered in 3rd degree burns. That syringe is is a pretty good idea.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2022, 08:48 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Not at all about the end of civilization.  I'm not talking about the end of the world, nukes etc.   There is a big difference between a Mad Max scenario and preparing for much more likely situation where one might not have easy access to food, water and other needs for an extended period of time.

We are spoiled. For many people in the US  everything they need is within a quick trip to a store or delivered.  I'd be willing to bet that a majority of Americans have no idea how to grow food in a garden, how to can foods, or even how to get by without all necessary resources being delivered to their homes, water, electricity, gas etc.  I don't think it is silly or a joke to be somewhat prepared.   But that is just my opinion.  

I didn't take the original post as a joke.  It's a reality that most Americans are ill-prepared.  Some of it is lack of knowledge, some is space, some is finances.  There are many reasons everyone cannot be equally prepared.  I'm fully capable of growing my own plants, but don't have the space for a proper garden to do it.  My storage is very limited to keep much extra food.  But doing what can be done is always a good idea, and at least having a plan in place is something to think about.  
Reply/Quote
[Image: 3474b3e0cd90d67bdfaa4588e52d365e.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Last year I had a friend ask me why I had 500ish rolls of toilet paper and was it because of Covid? I explained I've always kept alot of TP in the house not because of a disaster but because I have 2 daughters and I live around 30 minutes from the store. It only takes wiping your ass with coffee filters once to realize maybe I should keep up a stock of toilet paper...

As for food don't look at it like your stocking up for emergency think about it as saving money. Food prices are continuing to rise so its smarter to buy alot of non-perishable now before the prices goes up.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2022, 04:12 PM)Synric Wrote: Last year I had a friend ask me why I had 500ish rolls of toilet paper and was it because of Covid? I explained I've always kept alot of TP in the house not because of a disaster but because I have 2 daughters and I live around 30 minutes from the store. It only takes wiping your ass with coffee filters once to realize maybe I should keep up a stock of toilet paper...

As for food don't look at it like your stocking up for emergency think about it as saving money. Food prices are continuing to rise so its smarter to buy alot of non-perishable now before the prices goes up.

When it's just the wife and I, we typically don't run short of anything.  However, having the 21 y/o daughter staying with us for a couple of months has led me to snatching a roll from every family pack opened, and stashing it in my closet for "just in case"..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 03:24 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I believe all dog and cat food is regulated and must be safe for human consumption. I was told once this is due to children who may crawl to or eat out of the pets bowl or treat bag. I'm not 100% sure on this, just a tidbit I heard from a customer when our trucking company was assisting in a pet food recall. 

That all sounds logical, but a few years back I bought a big bag of cheapo dog food for a dog I once had and he began to go bald till he finally finished up the bag. Once I bought plain old Sunshine dog food he grew back all his fur within a few weeks..  The gist is there's no real nutritional  quality controls even in human food much less pet foods. After all, go to nearly any isle in any grocery store and you'll find row after row of "food" with nothing but empty calories only fit for making either obese or people who eventually look like African refugees.  Pet's nutritional requirements aren't quite the same as human.. Your dog will completely digest and crap out most foods he or she eats within about 4-6 hours..Humans? Quite a different story.. That's not to say you won't survive for awhile on pet food, but for long term survival you can count on dying before your expiration date which if you think about it if you're forced to eat pet food your expiration date has already been moved up considerably.. 

Reply/Quote