Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arian Foster goes public not believing in God
This is a great read. Tebow talk was allowed in the Around the NFL forum on the last board, so hopefully this will be okay here.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13369076/houston-texans-arian-foster-goes-public-not-believing-god

I'd recommend to everyone that hasn't already checked it out to read through the whole article. Foster seems like a great, humble guy and it's awesome to see one of the leagues star players openly speak on this topic.
Reply/Quote
Respect everyone for their beliefs, I have my doubts about god/religion myself, good on him to say what he feels!
[Image: tFtivUoURYLbG.gif]
"From the great spirit was born the wolf, and man became it's messenger."
Reply/Quote
And then he gets injured.
Reply/Quote
So who does he yell to when he has an orgasm?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 09:24 AM)Interceptor Wrote: So who does he yell to when he has an orgasm?

[Image: oh.gif]
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 08:47 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: And then he gets injured.

As opposed to all he guys who thank god for every time they do something and then get injured?  Rolleyes
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
Thanks to the OP for this thread. The article on Foster is indeed a very good read. I liked the phrase the article said Chris Kluwe used to describe himself: "Cheerfully Agnostic."

I think for all the talk you hear in many religious circles about humility that many religious lack it. Is there anything more humble than saying, "I don't know."? On my good days I can line up with Kluwe and be cheerfully agnostic. On most days though, I tend to be happily atheist and a bit distressed about the faith of many - because of the inconsistencies which Foster (and others) do such a good job of pointing out. But, I try along with Foster to see the reasons people believe (inconsistencies notwithstanding) do have some positive elements and if not all at least some of the tenets of religion do help some people to be better people.

I think it is the ones who can really challenge themselves - as Forsett does in his dialogue with Foster - who benefit the most from their religious journey. Sadly, for many it is not a journey. They just signed up, put the dogma card in their wallet, and never thought about it again. I find someone like Foster or his mother who have moved from faith to faith and read Bible, Koran, Vedas, etc. and always continued the journey and always continued to question so much more interesting and almost always to be "better Christians" than the robo-Christians who never think about what they believe and why. They are just better and more interesting people most of the time. It allows them to say things like Foster said - "I have an open mind." While he doesn't believe in God now he allows the possibility that his beliefs could change. It is sad many religious folks can't have that same sort of openness.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 12:11 PM)xxlt Wrote: Thanks to the OP for this thread. The article on Foster is indeed a very good read. I liked the phrase the article said Chris Kluwe used to describe himself: "Cheerfully Agnostic."

I think for all the talk you hear in many religious circles about humility that many religious lack it. Is there anything more humble than saying, "I don't know."? On my good days I can line up with Kluwe and be cheerfully agnostic. On most days though, I tend to be happily atheist and a bit distressed about the faith of many - because of the inconsistencies which Foster (and others) do such a good job of pointing out. But, I try along with Foster to see the reasons people believe (inconsistencies notwithstanding) do have some positive elements and if not all at least some of the tenets of religion do help some people to be better people.

I think it is the ones who can really challenge themselves - as Forsett does in his dialogue with Foster - who benefit the most from their religious journey. Sadly, for many it is not a journey. They just signed up, put the dogma card in their wallet, and never thought about it again. I find someone like Foster or his mother who have moved from faith to faith and read Bible, Koran, Vedas, etc. and always continued the journey and always continued to question so much more interesting and almost always to be "better Christians" than the robo-Christians who never think about what they believe and why. They are just better and more interesting people most of the time. It allows them to say things like Foster said - "I have an open mind." While he doesn't believe in God now he allows the possibility that his beliefs could change. It is sad many religious folks can't have that same sort of openness.
I didn't believe in God when I was his age either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 10:17 AM)GMDino Wrote: As opposed to all he guys who thank god for every time they do something and then get injured?  Rolleyes

Hey you mock but Tebow is still in the league.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 12:17 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Hey you mock but Tebow is still in the league.

He hasn't been a part of a team's 53 man roster since the 2012 season. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Foster has admitted that in the past he has been one of those "aggressive" atheists that annoy so many people. But he has said that he is trying to be more laid back about it.

I don't really see it as that big of a deal. There are a lot of people who are either atheist or agnostic today.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 12:16 PM)jason Wrote: I didn't believe in God when I was his age either.

I think it is easier if you are not brought up to believe in a God or gods to then explore questions/faiths and make that transition to becoming a believer than it is to walk away from a belief system you were taught as a child. Julia Sweeney explores this very honestly in her wonderful one woman show, "Letting Go of God." But whether you were raised in a faith, changed churches, or were raised with no religion and gravitated to it as an adult, I think the key thing is allowing your thinking and beliefs to evolve. It seems very few people are able to do that, even as they claim religion and/or spirituality is important to them. That always seems strange to me. I commend you for allowing your position on the matter to change.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 01:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Foster has admitted that in the past he has been one of those "aggressive" atheists that annoy so many people.  But he has said that he is trying to be more laid back about it.

I don't really see it as that big of a deal.  There are a lot of people who are either atheist or agnostic today.

Well, if you read the article you saw that more people would vote for a Muslim or a Moormon than they would an atheist. So, knowing that people would disqualify someone from consideration for office for not being a believer is a big deal to me. This may cost Foster endorsements as well. He doesn't care, but again, I think that sort of discrimination is a big deal. The Christians have cried of late about their persecution yet the fact is you can stand on the street corner talking gibberish (speaking in "tongues") and flailing your arms around with a bible in one hand and you aren't as scary to people as Foster who says simply he believes in neither God nor Satan. I think if that is the culture we live in, and it is, it is just as big a deal as the racism, sexism, and homophobia that garner headlines. People should not be discriminated against because of their religion or their lack of religion. It really should be a private matter. But again, our culture won't let it be - politicians, athletes, and the guy at the corner store feel a pressure to "come out" for team Jesus, and that is just not cool. As Joe Biden says, "It is a big effin' deal."
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 01:14 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: He hasn't been a part of a team's 53 man roster since the 2012 season. 

Well he is on a team now. And probably the best possible fit for his skills.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 04:12 PM)xxlt Wrote: Well, if you read the article you saw that more people would vote for a Muslim or a Moormon than they would an atheist. So, knowing that people would disqualify someone from consideration for office for not being a believer is a big deal to me. This may cost Foster endorsements as well. He doesn't care, but again, I think that sort of discrimination is a big deal. The Christians have cried of late about their persecution yet the fact is you can stand on the street corner talking gibberish (speaking in "tongues") and flailing your arms around with a bible in one hand and you aren't as scary to people as Foster who says simply he believes in neither God nor Satan. I think if that is the culture we live in, and it is, it is just as big a deal as the racism, sexism, and homophobia that garner headlines. People should not be discriminated against because of their religion or their lack of religion. It really should be a private matter. But again, our culture won't let it be - politicians, athletes, and the guy at the corner store feel a pressure to "come out" for team Jesus, and that is just not cool. As Joe Biden says, "It is a big effin' deal."

Exactly why obama faked his religious beliefs. I have no doubt he is an atheist. He wouldnt have been elected otherwise.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 12:17 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Hey you mock but Tebow is still in the league.

I mock Tebow for being an awful QB.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
Good for Foster...not buying into the religion myth.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 01:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Foster has admitted that in the past he has been one of those "aggressive" atheists that annoy so many people.  But he has said that he is trying to be more laid back about it.

I don't really see it as that big of a deal.  There are a lot of people who are either atheist or agnostic today.

I think it's a big deal because there aren't many that play professional sports that are open about it, not to mention high caliber players at that.

The NFL is a very Christian dominated sport, very religious and you constantly see people thanking God or talking about saying a prayer. I think it's awesome that one of the league's better players is openly talking about the other side of things for a change.
Reply/Quote
b-b-b-b..but how does he play so well if he doesn't believe in the sky daddy?
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 10:17 AM)GMDino Wrote: As opposed to all he guys who thank god for every time they do something and then get injured?  Rolleyes

I was reading an article in which Michael Johnson implied prayer is the reason his injury isn't season ending.

Ain't that special!?
Reply/Quote