Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Arizona Election may add illegal immigrant border bill
(05-15-2024, 06:51 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Why is that shocking?
Japan has been like that for years. Their actual acceptance rate is very low.

They do let people in, but unlike us, they follow really strict rules and let in mainly what they need for the workforce.
They are not an ex-pat friendly nation like most of the other Asian nations.

I think alot of it has to do with Western vs Eastern workplace values. They don't want their workforce to mix because of cultural values.

Japanese society outside of the main city/touristy areas is just not very foreigner friendly. So it surprises me that was the sentiment expressed.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2024, 07:38 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The Supreme Court gave states back the power to regulate abortion law. Yet, you oppose it. Using your statement, it appears you are speaking out of both sides of your mouth. For the record, I hate the new Arizona abortion law, but it is up to Arizona now and the federal government and federal elections are ruled out in an attempted fix.

The Founders wrote the constitution also a long time ago.

No. Apples and oranges. This actually goes back to problems with the Articles of Confederation.

The Founders realized that the US could not function as a nation without a central government
with enough power to raise taxes, to regulate commerce between the states, to enforce federal laws, 
and to control foreign policy on behalf of the nation as a whole. 

As a sovereign nation, the US had to be able to speak to other nations  as ONE nation, with ONE VOICE, not as a bunch of separate states.

So the Founders sorted out which responsibilities HAD to reside with the federal government and which could be delegated to the states.  

That's why each state can make its own laws regarding abortion, or deer hunting, or alcohol consumption, 
but none can create its own foreign policy. 

E.g., Arizona cannot have a repatriation agreement/treaty with Mexico separate from Texas and Maine and Hawaii.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2024, 06:57 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Japanese society outside of the main city/touristy areas is just not very foreigner friendly. So it surprises me that was the sentiment expressed.

Me too.  But I heard Japan is an island. 

That may mean they do not feel the pressure of countries like
Greece and the US, which have hundreds of thousands of 
immigrants massed on the border, with thousands slipping in every day.
It's so much easier for them to control it.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2024, 10:50 PM)Dill Wrote: Me too.  But I heard Japan is an island. 

That may mean they do not feel the pressure of countries like
Greece and the US, which have hundreds of thousands of 
immigrants massed on the border, with thousands slipping in every day.
It's so much easier for them to control it.

I also just read the date on that poll; it was 2018. I really wonder what those numbers are like right now. Not just for Japan, but I would wager most countries will see a rise in the opinion of less immigration due to COVID.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2024, 06:53 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I also just read the date on that poll; it was 2018. I really wonder what those numbers are like right now. Not just for Japan, but I would wager most countries will see a rise in the opinion of less immigration due to COVID.

wasn't that stat we looked at based on refugee applicants only?

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2023/10/2f5fe6c44464-refugee-applicants-to-japan-surge-in-2023-may-reach-record-high.html

Record number of applicants in 2023: 

The current record high is 19,629 applicants, according to government data. The figure topped 11,000 from January through September this year, partly due to Japan's complete lifting of its COVID-19 pandemic border restrictions in April, the sources said. 

Overall for 2023 they accepted a total 303 lol whew records being smashed!

But for work visa's, they approved about 1.3m in 2022. So they do let people in. 
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2024, 10:43 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: wasn't that stat we looked at based on refugee applicants only?

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2023/10/2f5fe6c44464-refugee-applicants-to-japan-surge-in-2023-may-reach-record-high.html

Record number of applicants in 2023: 

The current record high is 19,629 applicants, according to government data. The figure topped 11,000 from January through September this year, partly due to Japan's complete lifting of its COVID-19 pandemic border restrictions in April, the sources said. 

Overall for 2023 they accepted a total 303 lol whew records being smashed!

But for work visa's, they approved about 1.3m in 2022. So they do let people in. 

There is a difference between what the government does and what the sentiment is that is reflected in polls, though.

Reply/Quote