Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Around the AFC: steelers
This is the first of many installments that various board members have volunteered to perform in the slowest news month of the year.

I chose the steelers because, well, I hate them and can't pass up the chance to insult them. In all seriousness, I tried to remain at least a little objective.

Moves in Free Agency:

1.) Mitchell "Mr.Biscuit" Trubisky- I actually think this was a really solid signing for them. He won in Chicago (but not enough for their horrible coach) and actually has more wins than DeShawn Watson, and they came out in the same class. Think about that. He gives them a mobility dimension at QB they haven't seen since a 300 lbs whale jiggled around under center for the last decade plus. I think we will see lots of bootlegs, waggles, and misdirections from Biscuit Boy. One thing about the steelers, they don't seem to try and put square pegs in round holes. They know how to maximize a guy's talent.

2.) CB Levi "don't call me wrangler" Wallace- Signed away from Buffalo. Not very fast, but a solid tackler. Got absolutely torched against KC and probably sealed his fate on staying with the Bills. He was an UDFA and all I can say is I hope we see a lot of him covering Chase and Higgins.

3.) Myles Jack- Perfect reclamation project for the steelers. Jack is a solid LB, but was exposed in coverage due to a team that had less pressure than a third string QB at Green Bay. His coverage grades at PFF were pathetic, but he is a solid pass rusher and run defender and that is likely how they will utilize him. Say it with me: "Spread them out and attack their LBs in coverage".

4.) Mason Cole- Signed from MIN, a center that had a really up and down season. He saved his two best outings for SF and the steelers, so it shows that he can go against bigger, stronger lines. Was in and out of the lineup a lot so was likely battling injuries.

5.) James Daniels- I was among a few on here hoping the Bengals would sign him from Chicago. A very solid and steadily progressing guard. Next to Biscuit, their best FA signing.

6.) Gunner Olszewski- A WR from the Pats that was used primarily in special teams. He is a really good ST player, but not much of a WR.

7.) Myles Boykin- I thought a lot of him coming out of ND. He never really panned out, but what WR pans out in Baltimore?
Solid slot option to replace JJSS who may be the most overrated player in the league. KC has him over Hill now? Good luck with that.

The Draft:

1.) Kenny Pickett- Like Burrow, had a huge leap in his final year in college. That is where the similarities end. Haha, just kidding. He's actually a pretty solid QB prospect. Brett Venables has seen his fair share of QBs and he called Pickett "a baller", and although a lot of his stats came against duds in their conference, he did play very well against a solid Clemson defense. I think he will likely take over for Biscuit by midseason, but not before.

2.) George Pickens- Mercurial talent. Great ability, but an absolute assbag. Talk about fitting their team chemistry. You though AB was a jerk? Wait until you see this kid. Oddly, I assumed he was related in some way to our own cancerous receiver, Carl Pickens, but you can't find anything about it? Maybe his agent didn't want that around his neck. Oh, well. He will likely have a huge game early (not against Cincy) and then when he falls flat on his face, he will blame everyone but himself and make a ton of excuses (see Claypool, Chase).

3.) DeMarvin Leal- Versatile DE that fits their scheme well. Fell in the draft for reasons unknown. Rumors of coaching conflicts.

4.) Calvin Austin II- Put up some gaudy stats against the likes of Arkansas State, but struggled in press coverage and has a very low catch %. They will find him ways to get the ball in space and use his speed, but at 5'8" and only 170 lbs, durability is a big concern. If he gets the ball in the open field, though, look out.

6.) Conner Heyward- Younger brother of Cam Heyward, their all-pro DT. Used almost exclusively as a blocking FB and a solid receiving option, this pick is a double-down on dedicating themselves to a better rushing attack.

7.) Mark Robertson- LB that will likely be on PS.

In summary, they still have some really solid pieces: TJ Watt, Cam Heyward, and now, Larry Ogunjobi. They have Minkah Fitzpatrick as a safety, and they have some solid offensive weapons in Dionte Johnson, Friermuth, Najae Harris, and Claypool (just ask him). However, I see a very suspect LB corps in terms of coverage, and their CBs are below average. They simply can't generate the kind of pressure needed to allow those guys to take chances and play shallow. I know they had some injuries, but they finished dead last in the NFL against the run last year. Jack can help that, as can Larry O, but they simply don't have the athletes on the back end to trade scores with the elite of the league. If their rushing attack could be dominant, they could play aggressive blitzing from a lead, but their offensive line is just average at best.

Their head coach is the same, Omar Epps. Their OC is the second year guy that is named after our friends to the North and doesn't seem to have much game. They hired Teryl Austin as their DC, which is good for a laugh and maybe will allow Burrow to break the record day he set against the rats. Week 1, please?

I see the steelers coming in this season at 7-10. I see their stadium less than half-full by year's end. In the immortal words of Jake Lisco, from Locked on Bengals: "F### the steelers".
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They're gonna miss Bud Dupree...
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2022, 11:56 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They're gonna miss Bud Dupree...

They will miss him again?  He was in Tennessee last year?  They are missing him, though...They needed a speed option opposite Watt.  
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2022, 12:00 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: They will miss him again?  He was in Tennessee last year?  They are missing him, though...They needed a speed option opposite Watt.  

Yes, they are going ton continue to miss him.....
Reply/Quote
For all those out there kneeling to Baltimore and Cleveland the Stealers actually had the better offseason. They both drafted their future QB and made sure they can take time and coach him up properly because he needs coaching up. They also solidified other areas of their roster.
Reply/Quote
The Steelers could be a legit wild card team.
They have a very good set of skill position players.
Friermuth is only going to get better in his 2nd year
I think Claypool if he can get his head on straight can be
A big time pass catcher downfield
Najee Harris looks bulked and beastly
I think their offensive line has been upgraded
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2022, 12:30 PM)Joelist Wrote: For all those out there kneeling to Baltimore and Cleveland the Stealers actually had the better offseason. They both drafted their future QB and made sure they can take time and coach him up properly because he needs coaching up. They also solidified other areas of their roster.

I sure hope so. If he is their QB for the future, look forward to them being 4th for a long time.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2022, 11:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is the first of many installments that various board members have volunteered to perform in the slowest news month of the year.

I chose the steelers because, well, I hate them and can't pass up the chance to insult them.  In all seriousness, I tried to remain at least a little objective.

Moves in Free Agency:

1.) Mitchell "Mr.Biscuit" Trubisky-  I actually think this was a really solid signing for them.  He won in Chicago (but not enough for their horrible coach) and actually has more wins than DeShawn Watson, and they came out in the same class.  Think about that.  He gives them a mobility dimension at QB they haven't seen since a 300 lbs whale jiggled around under center for the last decade plus.  I think we will see lots of bootlegs, waggles, and misdirections from Biscuit Boy.  One thing about the steelers, they don't seem to try and put square pegs in round holes.   They know how to maximize a guy's talent.

2.) CB Levi "don't call me wrangler" Wallace-  Signed away from Buffalo.  Not very fast, but a solid tackler.  Got absolutely torched against KC and probably sealed his fate on staying with the Bills.  He was an UDFA and all I can say is I hope we see a lot of him covering Chase and Higgins.  

3.) Myles Jack-  Perfect reclamation project for the steelers.  Jack is a solid LB, but was exposed in coverage due to a team that had less pressure than a third string QB at Green Bay.  His coverage grades at PFF were pathetic, but he is a solid pass rusher and run defender and that is likely how they will utilize him.  Say it with me:  "Spread them out and attack their LBs in coverage".

4.) Mason Cole-  Signed from MIN, a center that had a really up and down season.  He saved his two best outings for SF and the steelers, so it shows that he can go against bigger, stronger lines.  Was in and out of the lineup a lot so was likely battling injuries.  

5.) James Daniels-  I was among a few on here hoping the Bengals would sign him from Chicago.  A very solid and steadily progressing guard.  Next to Biscuit, their best FA signing.

6.) Gunner Olszewski-  A WR from the Pats that was used primarily in special teams.  He is a really good ST player, but not much of a WR.  

7.) Myles Boykin-  I thought a lot of him coming out of ND.  He never really panned out, but what WR pans out in Baltimore?  
Solid slot option to replace JJSS who may be the most overrated player in the league.  KC has him over Hill now?  Good luck with that.  

The Draft:

1.) Kenny Pickett-  Like Burrow, had a huge leap in his final year in college.  That is where the similarities end.  Haha, just kidding.  He's actually a pretty solid QB prospect.  Brett Venables has seen his fair share of QBs and he called Pickett "a baller", and although a lot of his stats came against duds in their conference, he did play very well against a solid Clemson defense.  I think he will likely take over for Biscuit by midseason, but not before.

2.) George Pickens-  Mercurial talent.  Great ability, but an absolute assbag.  Talk about fitting their team chemistry.  You though AB was a jerk?  Wait until you see this kid.  Oddly, I assumed he was related in some way to our own cancerous receiver, Carl Pickens, but you can't find anything about it?  Maybe his agent didn't want that around his neck.  Oh, well.  He will likely have a huge game early (not against Cincy) and then when he falls flat on his face, he will blame everyone but himself and make a ton of excuses (see Claypool, Chase).

3.) DeMarvin Leal- Versatile DE that fits their scheme well.  Fell in the draft for reasons unknown.  Rumors of coaching conflicts.  

4.) Calvin Austin II-  Put up some gaudy stats against the likes of Arkansas State, but struggled in press coverage and has a very low catch %.  They will find him ways to get the ball in space and use his speed, but at 5'8" and only 170 lbs, durability is a big concern.  If he gets the ball in the open field, though, look out.  

6.) Conner Heyward- Younger brother of Cam Heyward, their all-pro DT.  Used almost exclusively as a blocking FB and a solid receiving option, this pick is a double-down on dedicating themselves to a better rushing attack.  

7.) Mark Robertson- LB that will likely be on PS.

In summary, they still have some really solid pieces:  TJ Watt, Cam Heyward, and now, Larry Ogunjobi.  They have Minkah Fitzpatrick as a safety, and they have some solid offensive weapons in Dionte Johnson, Friermuth, Najae Harris, and Claypool (just ask him).  However, I see a very suspect LB corps in terms of coverage, and their CBs are below average.  They simply can't generate the kind of pressure needed to allow those guys to take chances and play shallow.  I know they had some injuries, but they finished dead last in the NFL against the run last year.  Jack can help that, as can Larry O, but they simply don't have the athletes on the back end to trade scores with the elite of the league.  If their rushing attack could be dominant, they could play aggressive blitzing from a lead, but their offensive line is just average at best.  

Their head coach is the same, Omar Epps.  Their OC is the second year guy that is named after our friends to the North and doesn't seem to have much game.  They hired Teryl Austin as their DC, which is good for a laugh and maybe will allow Burrow to break the record day he set against the rats.  Week 1, please?  

I see the steelers coming in this season at 7-10.  I see their stadium less than half-full by year's end.  In the immortal words of Jake Lisco, from Locked on Bengals:  "F### the steelers".

Fantastic, SHRacer, just fantastic lol

I see the same things pretty much. Man, they ignored a big problem though. They need a Nose Tackle who can stop the run.

Ogunjobi isn't a run stopper, he is a splash play guy who can rush the passer and who knows how many of those splash plays
he will make after the injury? If you can't stop the run and your Secondary is a bit suspect you are in trouble in the Division 
where Mixon and Burrow just got a decent OL. Fun times to be a Bengal fan. Smirk

BTW, will do my Buffalo Bills thread after the holiday. Wink
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2022, 12:30 PM)Joelist Wrote: For all those out there kneeling to Baltimore and Cleveland the Stealers actually had the better offseason. They both drafted their future QB and made sure they can take time and coach him up properly because he needs coaching up. They also solidified other areas of their roster.

(07-04-2022, 12:52 PM)impactplaya Wrote: The Steelers could be a legit wild card team.
They have a very good set of skill position players.
Friermuth is only going to get better in his 2nd year
I think Claypool if he can get his head on straight can be
A big time pass catcher downfield
Najee Harris looks bulked and beastly
I think their offensive line has been upgraded

The Stealers probably had the best Offseason besides us in the Division but they ignored the run stopping weakness.

You guys are correct that they had a great FA and Draft but if they cannot stop the run, rush the passer or cover or tackle
it doesn't matter how many skill players they have. I think they will be a good team on Offense. Defense?

We are going to score on them more then they score on us guarantee it if we stay somewhat healthy.

They will always have the refs in their pocket though so they have a chance to finish 2nd in the Division.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2022, 03:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The Stealers probably had the best Offseason besides us in the Division but they ignored the run stopping weakness.

You guys are correct that they had a great FA and Draft but if they cannot stop the run, rush the passer or cover or tackle
it doesn't matter how many skill players they have. I think they will be a good team on Offense. Defense?

We are going to score on them more then they score on us guarantee it if we stay somewhat healthy.

They will always have the refs in their pocket though so they have a chance to finish 2nd in the Division.

I agree. I also think they know they have a multi-year rebuild on their hands (partly as a result of letting Ben hang around too long). 
Reply/Quote
I believe the Steelers are staring a couple ho hum seasons in the face. And I agree with racer 7-10 range.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2022, 01:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I sure hope so. If he is their QB for the future, look forward to them being 4th for a long time.

Correct, the Steelers over drafted a QB who was a day 2/3 guy in the last 3 drafts. I actually think his ceiling is Andy Dalton, mid tier QB who can do above average when everything goes right around him.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2022, 03:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The Stealers probably had the best Offseason besides us in the Division but they ignored the run stopping weakness.

I forgot to mention that Tuitt retired this year, after not playing all of last season injured.  He was a big part of that defensive line for many years.  

Joe Haden also is now an UFA, as his two-year contract is up.  Not sure if they will bring him back or not, but he would be their best CB behind Witherspoon.  
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2022, 09:08 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I forgot to mention that Tuitt retired this year, after not playing all of last season injured.  He was a big part of that defensive line for many years.  

Joe Haden also is now an UFA, as his two-year contract is up.  Not sure if they will bring him back or not, but he would be their best CB behind Witherspoon.  

Things are looking a bit rough over there in Pitt. Shit, I would pay Haden to come over here just do drive a dagger lol
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2022, 07:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Things are looking a bit rough over there in Pitt. Shit, I would pay Haden to come over here just do drive a dagger lol

Haha, you know me and that team that I won't even capitalize....
Reply/Quote
Wonder who wins the QB1 battle. Trubisky or Pickett?

I am a newcomer to this board BTW
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2022, 06:17 AM)BengalsFanInNOKY Wrote: Wonder who wins the QB1 battle. Trubisky or Pickett?

My guess would be Trubisky at least for the first several games. If he starts out ho hum they may give Pickett a shot at some point ?
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2022, 06:17 AM)BengalsFanInNOKY Wrote: Wonder who wins the QB1 battle. Trubisky or Pickett?

Trubisky will most likely start, but if they are 3-5 at the near midpoint of the season, they will probably get Pickett some experience the rest of the way.  They know Biscuit is just a stop-gap, but they don't want their rookie to get thrown to the wolves without some time to watch and learn.

That is just my guess...I am certainly no steeler insider (gross). 
Reply/Quote