Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Article about Anderson's career path with new OC
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Anderson-remembers-how-change-revived-his-career-/4c336c67-59ea-4d90-aea7-d1b62eca4b2b

Great article on Bengals.com

I was pretty young but didn't realize the trajectory change for Anderson with his change in offensive scheme. Good stuff.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2018, 10:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Anderson-remembers-how-change-revived-his-career-/4c336c67-59ea-4d90-aea7-d1b62eca4b2b

Great article on Bengals.com

I was pretty young but didn't realize the trajectory change for Anderson with his change in offensive scheme. Good stuff.

Nice article. Let’s hope the results are similar with the exception of a SB victory.

Reply/Quote
yes Andersons starting career was in doubt especially when they drafted Jack Thompson.
sometimes a new voice and a change in mechanics and scheme can change everything
Reply/Quote
They had yanked him during the first game of the 1981 season against the Seahawks. The Bengals were down 21-0 before you can bat an eye. They ended up coming back to win that game with Turk Schonert coming in for an ineffective Anderson. Anderson was told that Schonert was going to start against the Jets the following week. He told Gregg that he should be the starter and talked him into getting one more chance. Bengals won that game 31-30 after trailing 14-0. Anderson went on to have a great year that year and we all know how the rest of the story unfolded.

Imagine if Anderson wasn't able to convince Gregg to keep him as the starter?
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 12:11 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: They had yanked him during the first game of the 1981 season against the Seahawks. The Bengals were down 21-0 before you can bat an eye. They ended up coming back to win that game with Turk Schonert coming in for an ineffective Anderson. Anderson was told that Schonert was going to start against the Jets the following week. He told Gregg that he should be the starter and talked him into getting one more chance. Bengals won that game 31-30 after trailing 14-0. Anderson went on to have a great year that year and we all know how the rest of the story unfolded.

I remember that as well, but I thought Anderson was injured in the first game.  He was benched?  Wow.  A little bit different than Marv riding with a team that didn't score a TD for the first two entire games!
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 06:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I remember that as well, but I thought Anderson was injured in the first game.  He was benched?  Wow.  A little bit different than Marv riding with a team that didn't score a TD for the first two entire games!

Yeah, he was booed by the fans when he was pulled from the game.  Imagine that, a Cincy QB booed by fans...
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 11:30 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Yeah, he was booed by the fans when he was pulled from the game.  Imagine that, a Cincy QB booed by fans...

I remember that game well.  

Imagine if we had message boards back then.  Anderson would have been treated like trash.  Instead he held on to his starting job and won the league MVP.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 12:11 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: They had yanked him during the first game of the 1981 season against the Seahawks. The Bengals were down 21-0 before you can bat an eye. They ended up coming back to win that game with Turk Schonert coming in for an ineffective Anderson. Anderson was told that Schonert was going to start against the Jets the following week. He told Gregg that he should be the starter and talked him into getting one more chance. Bengals won that game 31-30 after trailing 14-0. Anderson went on to have a great year that year and we all know how the rest of the story unfolded.

Several times thru the late 70's, 80/81 Anderson's head was wanted on a platter by many. The announcers on nationally televised games would openly question when he would be replaced ? What what is it 1979 or so he has like 10 TD's and 24 interceptions or something ? Posted QB ratings like 60"s 70's !

Many people, myself included think those 3 or 4 mid years of his career hurt his HOF chances more than not having a ring. Everybody wanted him replaced.
Reply/Quote
I seem to recall Anderson playing with a broken back wearing some kind of brace.. Doesn't sound like a hell of a lot of fun .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I remember when the Bengals drafted Jack Thompson, thought sure it was the end of Ken Anderson. Shows you how much I can be wrong. BTW, I remember listening to that season opener on the radio where the Bengals were down 21-0 to the Seahawks only to have the "mighty" Turk Schonert come in and get the win. I thought Kenny was done again. Shows how wrong I could be a second time. You know it's nice to be proven wrong sometimes, and yes Kenny would have been crucified if this message board would have existed then, and I most likely would have led the charge. I would have eaten so much crow, by the end of the season, I would have been crapping nothing but beaks and claws.
Reply/Quote

Well sounds like Turk should have gotten more chances...
Reply/Quote
I dated Anderson's daughter in grade school, which, if you connect the dots, means that we'll win a playoff game this season ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote

Remember it well. Those two games set the tone that the team could put up wins. Schonert was a decent QB filling in, but Anderson had the beautiful deep ball.

(06-18-2018, 06:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I remember that as well, but I thought Anderson was injured in the first game.  He was benched?  Wow.  A little bit different than Marv riding with a team that didn't score a TD for the first two entire games!

Yep, Marv and Gregg were galaxies apart. Could you imagine Ogbuehi or Bodine or Alexander lasting more than a few weeks with Gregg at the helm? I can't.

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2018, 05:43 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I dated Anderson's daughter in grade school, which, if you connect the dots, means that we'll win a playoff game this season  ThumbsUp

Are you dating Dalton's daughter in grade school now?

Does Dalton have a daughter? I honestly don't know.

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2018, 08:58 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Are you dating Dalton's daughter in grade school now?

Does Dalton have a daughter? I honestly don't know.

No but I did present at a school down in Kentucky and met a girl that's his cousin and she seemed pretty in love with me.

Way too young, obviously, but just pointing it out  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 06:52 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Several times thru the late 70's, 80/81 Anderson's head was wanted on a platter by many. The announcers on nationally televised games would openly question when he would be replaced ? What what is it 1979 or so he has like 10 TD's and 24 interceptions or something ? Posted QB ratings like 60"s 70's !

Many people, myself included think those 3 or 4 mid years of his career hurt his HOF chances more than not having a ring. Everybody wanted him replaced.

A change to a better offensive scheme greatly impacted the QBs performance and showed he wasn't the problem?

Nick Foles, Alex Smith, Case Keenum, and Andy Dalton all agree with this sentiment.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
A scheme changed Kenny's career trajectory, eh? Not surprising to me, but I know many on here seem to think coaching has little effect on a QB.

Seems amazing to me that anyone watching the NFL every year wouldn't realize the profound impact a scheme can have on a QB.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Billy Price and Cody Glenn will have a bigger role on Andys success then scheme change.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2018, 02:03 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Billy Price and Cody Glenn will have a bigger role on Andys success then scheme change.

Probably so, but only because our line was so horrifically bad.

I'll just say this. If anyone doubts the impact of scheme, compare Brees with the Chargers and Saints. Compare Goff under Fisher to Goff under McVay.

Look at how Matt Ryan's 2015 season under Kyle Shannahan sticks out like a sore thumb in his career stats.

Look at all the head coaches that get hired specifically for their work with QB's.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2018, 01:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: A scheme changed Kenny's career trajectory, eh? Not surprising to me, but I know many on here seem to think coaching has little effect on a QB.

Seems amazing to me that anyone watching the NFL every year wouldn't realize the profound impact a scheme can have on a QB.

Drew Henson and Tom Brady approve of this message
Reply/Quote