Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Article on Taylor
Praises him for being flexible in giving Joe Burrow the system he wants and creating a possible Locker room atmosphere
Critical in saying that is it’s the offensive system and predictably in play calling that is leading to sacks and beating up burrow.

“When it was fourth down, and you could see they got in the shotgun, and they were probably not going to run the football,” McVay said, referring to Cincinnati’s failed fourth-and-1 play with under a minute left. “I said, ‘Aaron’s going to close the game out right here.’”

“ Cincinnati sported an 89 percent pass rate from the gun during its playoff run, per Sports Info Solutions. And the offense wasn’t too hard to figure out when Joe Burrow went under center, either. During the postseason, the Bengals passed the ball on just 24 percent of their under-center snaps.”

“ Taylor’s offense was inconsistent to the point that it finished 24th in DVOA variance. And in four playoff games, the Bengals averaged just 23 points largely because of woeful performances in the red zone.”

“ pointing out that the Bengals were one of nine teams to produce a negative EPA on play-action passes, or that they finished tied for 24th in EPA per attempt on under-center runs, per Sports Info Solutions—but I think you get the point. All of this is a bad look for an offensive-minded head coach who calls the plays.”

The Zac Taylor Conundrum

Taylor just led the Bengals to the Super Bowl and their best season in 31 years. But is that enough to mask his offense’s issues—and show that he’s the right person to develop Joe Burrow?

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2022/2/16/22936210/zac-taylor-bengals-contract-extension-joe-burrow-development
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 03:33 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: Praises him for being flexible in giving Joe Burrow the system he wants and creating a possible Locker room atmosphere
Critical in saying that is it’s the offensive system and predictably in play calling that is leading to sacks and beating up burrow.

“When it was fourth down, and you could see they got in the shotgun, and they were probably not going to run the football,” McVay said, referring to Cincinnati’s failed fourth-and-1 play with under a minute left. “I said, ‘Aaron’s going to close the game out right here.’”

“ Cincinnati sported an 89 percent pass rate from the gun during its playoff run, per Sports Info Solutions. And the offense wasn’t too hard to figure out when Joe Burrow went under center, either. During the postseason, the Bengals passed the ball on just 24 percent of their under-center snaps.”

“ Taylor’s offense was inconsistent to the point that it finished 24th in DVOA variance. And in four playoff games, the Bengals averaged just 23 points largely because of woeful performances in the red zone.”

“ pointing out that the Bengals were one of nine teams to produce a negative EPA on play-action passes, or that they finished tied for 24th in EPA per attempt on under-center runs, per Sports Info Solutions—but I think you get the point. All of this is a bad look for an offensive-minded head coach who calls the plays.”

The Zac Taylor Conundrum
Taylor just led the Bengals to the Super Bowl and their best season in 31 years. But is that enough to mask his offense’s issues—and show that he’s the right person to develop Joe Burrow?

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2022/2/16/22936210/zac-taylor-bengals-contract-extension-joe-burrow-development

Pretty much my exact problem with ZT. His play calling is bad at times and I truly feel like he's holding this offense back. Too many times they relied on the big play or Joe improvising. I did see some interesting play designs at times, though. I'd be curious to see how he does with a competent OL. It will also be nice for him and Burrow to have an entire off-season together without Joe having to focus on his knee. 

I think a lot of play calling this year was to spite the poor OL. There should be no more excuses this upcoming year IF they get the OL figured out. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I like how your summary points out that the article praises Taylor...then you post bulletpoint after bulletpoint of statistics and analysis showing that our offense was bad under Taylor.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 03:37 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Pretty much my exact problem with ZT. His play calling is bad at times and I truly feel like he's holding this offense back. Too many times they relied on the big play or Joe improvising. I did see some interesting play designs at times, though. I'd be curious to see how he does with a competent OL. It will also be nice for him and Burrow to have an entire off-season together without Joe having to focus on his knee. 

I think a lot of play calling this year was to spite the poor OL. There should be no more excuses this upcoming year IF they get the OL figured out. 

aka He calls plays like it's a game of Madden.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 03:37 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Pretty much my exact problem with ZT. His play calling is bad at times and I truly feel like he's holding this offense back. Too many times they relied on the big play or Joe improvising. I did see some interesting play designs at times, though. I'd be curious to see how he does with a competent OL. It will also be nice for him and Burrow to have an entire off-season together without Joe having to focus on his knee. 

Burrow will have to rehab the knee again this offseason.. but he had a full offseason this last year right?  he didnt miss any time in preseason that i remember.

But its nice to know other people see things the way i do with Zac.

He is definitely not the offensive guru we thought we were getting
Reply/Quote
It almost always feels like the defense knows exactly what type of play we are going to run the second our offense lines up. McVay's comment just sums up what I've felt all year.

I understand that Zac may have been handicapped by the offensive line, but if he's going to remain the playcaller he needs to be more creative and disguise looks.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 03:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I like how your summary points out that the article praises Taylor...then you post bulletpoint after bulletpoint of statistics and analysis showing that our offense was bad under Taylor.

I am not understanding your point. The articles two positive points on Taylor were giving burrow flexibility and the locker room atmosphere. Those were stated in my first sentence. If the rest of Taylor’s attributes as coach from this articles writers Perspective are negative take it up with him.
Reply/Quote
Not super surprising. It's been my beef with Zac since his first season. He's a great leader and motivator, and I think he's a HC who was deserving of the extension (coming after me wanting his head just a year ago is amazing). But I wish he'd step aside and let someone who IS an offensive guru calls the plays. It's possible he'll keep learning and growing and it'll be fine, but it's been the glaring issue with him all along. I think the talent overcame some of the deficiencies this year, but that only gets so far, as seen with the lack of offense in the postseason especially.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 03:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Burrow will have to rehab the knee again this offseason.. but he had a full offseason this last year right?  he didnt miss any time in preseason that i remember.

But its nice to know other people see things the way i do with Zac.

He is definitely not the offensive guru we thought we were getting

The playoff run was largely fueled by the defense making timely plays. And the offense, contributed just enough to win.

I saw a stat that the Bills were 9-9 in the red zone in the playoffs. The Bengals were way worse. Bills had #1 scoring defense. We win 3 games in playoffs. They win 1.

During the regular season, we had the 23rd ranked offense based on scoring TD's in the Red Zone.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 03:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The playoff run was largely fueled by the defense making timely plays. And the offense, contributed just enough to win.

I saw a stat that the Bills were 9-9 in the red zone in the playoffs. The Bengals were way worse. Bills had #1 scoring defense. We win 3 games in playoffs. They win 1.

During the regular season, we had the 23rd ranked offense based on scoring TD's in the Red Zone.

The bills stat is scary. If any fan base should feel slighted it’s them. Just goes to show how the ball needs to bounce for things to go right

This talk about how we are always going to be in the Super Bowl is hilarious . Allen and mahomes are generational and as good as burrow. Their defenses did not perform like ours this year. That’s the difference.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 03:33 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: Praises him for being flexible in giving Joe Burrow the system he wants and creating a possible Locker room atmosphere

The Zac Taylor Conundrum

As far as Zac’s schemes I think he’s solid. Mike Zimmer said he was really impressed with them before they played. I also know a NFL head coach and a NFL OC and both are impressed with his schemes.

Now to the play calling. Zac as has been noted gives Joe a lot of latitude in play calling or changing the play. As phenomenal as he’s done he’s still inexperienced. I know for a fact that Zac has protected Joe on some things he’s messed up himself. I’m sure he’s also bailed out Taylor as well. But… a former All-American QB and champion college OC and then D-1 major head coach once told me that a poor OL or a great OL either render you a great or awful play caller. I know that on offense they split up responsibilities depending on the situation. There’s a red zone coach to give an alternate play in the red zone. A third and long coach I’d suspect, a short yardage coach and other important situations they split up. So it’s more of a joint effort. They make suggestions not call the play mind you.

JMHO what this offense needs is a much much improved run game. Mixon is a great burst and open field runner. If teams have to worry about him in the open field heaven help them. But judging Taylor with this OL may not be fair. Next year we may see a huge improvement and don’t forget he called a lot of plays that worked in late moments of the playoffs. ?‍♂️
Reply/Quote
Remember when we said: There will be those that still won't be happy even if we make the Super Bowl?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just makes me stick with my belief that Zac Taylor is a fine HC, but he really needs to give up playcalling duties to a quality OC.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 03:44 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Not super surprising.  It's been my beef with Zac since his first season.  He's a great leader and motivator, and I think he's a HC who was deserving of the extension (coming after me wanting his head just a year ago is amazing).  But I wish he'd step aside and let someone who IS an offensive guru calls the plays.  It's possible he'll keep learning and growing and it'll be fine, but it's been the glaring issue with him all along.  I think the talent overcame some of the deficiencies this year, but that only gets so far, as seen with the lack of offense in the postseason especially.

ditto
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 03:42 PM)Big Boss Wrote: It almost always feels like the defense knows exactly what type of play we are going to run the second our offense lines up.  McVay's comment just sums up what I've felt all year.

I understand that Zac may have been handicapped by the offensive line, but if he's going to remain the playcaller he needs to be more creative and disguise looks.

Well...it is predictable. 5 wr 0 back...we aren't running.

Under center, bring Sample in...we're running.
Reply/Quote
My one fear of the Bengals reaching the SB is that more than ever before , Zac is unwilling
To change his approach to the offense. Taylor I.hope
Has that approach that he still is learning as a HC.
And he is willing to do whats best for the team and
Not his ego
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 11:03 PM)impactplaya Wrote: My one fear of the Bengals reaching the SB is that more than ever before , Zac is unwilling
To change his approach to the offense. Taylor I.hope
Has that approach that he still is learning as a HC.
And he is willing to do whats best for the team and
Not his ego

If you’ve been paying attention if you ranked the most egotistical head coaches in the NFL he’d be #40.

Yes I know there are 32
Reply/Quote
Is it messed up to think this offense would be much better with Hugh or even Jay calling the plays?
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 11:08 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Is it messed up to think this offense would be much better with Hugh or even Jay calling the plays?

We were 23rd in red zone td %. Certainly room for improvement.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 11:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We were 23rd in red zone td %. Certainly room for improvement.

The problem with the offense mostly is tied to our run game. It’s certainly not the fault of running back talent. We were 26th in yards per rush. So teams didn’t have to worry about our run game yet we were 8th though in points per play. What an amazing dichotomy. 26th in yards per rush but 8th in points per play. Fixing our run game will fix a ton of Redzone issues and sacks.
Reply/Quote