Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As Lewis goes, so does Burfict
Has it occurred to anyone that, if Marvin Lewis retires/doesn't get extended, that it would spell the end of Vontaze Burfict?

Considering that he went undrafted, doesn't have a great relationship with the ASU's head coach, and previous articles implying that Lewis and Burfict have a special relationship, it's reasonable to assume that Burfict wouldn't mesh well with another coaching staff. They'd be less inclined to put up with him like Marvin does.

With that said, i'd be okay with seeing Burfict go if Lewis leaves. It would hurt in the short-term, but we could see results in the long-run. Also, one less headache.
Reply/Quote
I've had that thought.

Honestly, the amount of coaches that will put up with his nonsense on the field is a relatively small list. Now MB might overrule and coach, but who knows?
Reply/Quote
From when Zimmer left, Burfict seemed more attached to Guenther. Marvin and Burfict's relationship isn't good for each other. Might be the best thing to happen to Burfict professionally. With Marvin he likely will be banned from the league in a year.

His best hope career wise is for Marvin to go.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I think many coaches would "put up" with Burfict.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 04:49 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Has it occurred to anyone that, if Marvin Lewis retires/doesn't get extended, that it would spell the end of Vontaze Burfict?

Considering that he went undrafted, doesn't have a great relationship with the ASU's head coach, and previous articles implying that Lewis and Burfict have a special relationship, it's reasonable to assume that Burfict wouldn't mesh well with another coaching staff. They'd be less inclined to put up with him like Marvin does.

With that said, i'd be okay with seeing Burfict go if Lewis leaves. It would hurt in the short-term, but we could see results in the long-run. Also, one less headache.

Hilarious Because a new coach would have a say in whether he stays or not.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
The contract extension disagrees
Reply/Quote
He's under contract through 2020. I don't see him going anyplace...Burfict not Lewis. And if for some reason he does, there are 31 other teams who want him.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 05:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think many coaches would "put up" with Burfict.

I agree totally. He has instincts on the field you can’t teach and a strong coach could mentor him in the personality department.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 04:49 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Has it occurred to anyone that, if Marvin Lewis retires/doesn't get extended, that it would spell the end of Vontaze Burfict?

Well we just extended him... So as long as he is eligible to play he will be here for the next few years barring a trade.

Bufict while has a few issues after the whistle some times is a KEY piece to our defense...  And we be closer to the boat Cleveland is without him
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 05:47 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I agree totally.  He has instincts on the field you can’t teach and a strong coach could mentor him in the personality department.

Yes, but coaches don't coach during the season, the watch old movies and play video games.... Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
A new coach would know that Burfict is a high risk / high reward type player. I think he would be given a short leash though for unnecessary penalties that hurt the team. A new coach is going to want to put his footprint on the team and instill a different culture, which may not work in Burfict's favor if he doesn't play smarter. I believe that a new coach and team attitude might be exactly what he needs to really be the player he CAN be.

I could be wrong, but I thought that he more or less received a modified "prove it" type contract, with only 2017 guaranteed. I don't remember, only that the contract was very team friendly.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 05:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think many coaches would "put up" with Burfict.

No doubt. Just like Tomlin puts up with all of Bell and Brown’s shenanigans. If you’re an elite player you can get away with having some baggage.

Reply/Quote
Burfict is a guy you hate unless he plays on your team. A new coach that forces him to be accountable by sitting him down, might be exactly what he needs.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
He needs to play for a Mike Zimmer..... someone who can control his behavior, yet unleash the beast.
Reply/Quote