Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As a 5th year starting QB
Why is Dalton unable to progress through his options and make a decision to throw to the player with the best chance to catch a pass and make a play?

I watched the game, he didn't have a lot of time, i get the o line stunk.  But when he did, he still cuts off 3/4th the field and 3/4ths his pass catchers.  He drops back.  Locks immediately to one option..and stubbornly chucks a timing pattern to a guy he PRAYS will magically get open in 4 seconds.

It's the same way hes always played vs cleveland.  Same way he's played In nearly every primitive game, same way he played in the Pro Bowl, and the same way he's played in every playoff game.

How can we have a QB who is unable to do things most D1 College QBS do with ease? There are 32 starting NFL jobs in the world.  Why has this franchise hitched their wagon to one who has decided who he's going to throw too before he takes a snap?

Look at Rodger, Brees, Brady, Wilson, Ben, Flacco,...they check mutiple WRS and TES before throwing, heck even  rookies like Winston do it.

Why can't Andy? He doesn't even do it when he has time to throw.  Locks in,  blindly hurls it.  Same results.  

It's very concerning. Cause it's not something more time or practice can fix. It's what he is.  Scated, panicked and a one read arm.

If we really are OK with have a 1 read qb...why not at least get a guy with a better arm? And a better haircut,
Reply/Quote
Last night the O-line was abused but I see your point.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 09:35 AM)Blake2Pickens Wrote: Why is Dalton unable to progress through his options and make a decision to throw to the player with the best chance to catch a pass and make a play?

I watched the game, he didn't have a lot of time, i get the o line stunk.  But when he did, he still cuts off 3/4th the field and 3/4ths his pass catchers.  He drops back.  Locks immediately to one option..and stubbornly chucks a timing pattern to a guy he PRAYS will magically get open in 4 seconds.

It's the same way hes always played vs cleveland.  Same way he's played In nearly every primitive game, same way he played in the Pro Bowl, and the same way he's played in every playoff game.

How can we have a QB who is unable to do things most D1 College QBS do with ease? There are 32 starting NFL jobs in the world.  Why has this franchise hitched their wagon to one who has decided who he's going to throw too before he takes a snap?

Look at Rodger, Brees, Brady, Wilson, Ben, Flacco,...they check mutiple WRS and TES before throwing, heck even  rookies like Winston do it.

Why can't Andy? He doesn't even do it when he has time to throw.  Locks in,  blindly hurls it.  Same results.  

It's very concerning. Cause it's not something more time or practice can fix. It's what he is.  Scated, panicked and a one read arm.

If we really are OK with have a 1 read qb...why not at least get a guy with a better arm? And a better haircut,

If he had all day to throw the ball like Winston did he probably would have been able to.  Perhaps he's a bit gun shy seeing as how there's usually someone in his face if he waits too long?  
Reply/Quote
Dalton has his issues. But you need time (like the Buc qb's got) to go through your progression. The Oline was in playoff form.

I don't believe Andy can't. He did hit 6 different receivers for 400+ yards in 2013. He had to go through progressions to do that.

The pick that was his fault he should have held a couple more seconds before he released it and it would have been a good completion, but he rushed the throw fearing pressure.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Hurr durr, offensive line made him look crappy on the throws with no pressure Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
Maybe you thought the OLine played good. I doubt the rest of the world would think so.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 09:47 AM)jj22 Wrote: Maybe you thought the OLine played good. I doubt the rest of the world would think so.

They didn't play very well, but the excuses for Andy coming from the same people as always is just humorous.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 09:51 AM)djs7685 Wrote: They didn't play very well, but the excuses for Andy coming from the same people as always is just humorous.

The OL deserves the wet blanket this week in practice and on the interwebs. AD played like AD plays for the most part. I've become accustomed to that. That OL, tho.... That could make for some serious liver issues come end of season
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 10:17 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: The OL deserves the wet blanket this week in practice and on the interwebs. AD played like AD plays for the most part. I've become accustomed to that. That OL, tho.... That could make for some serious liver issues come end of season
Bodine and OL was really bad last night. Andy was not the problem until he got frustrated and tried to force the throw to Eifert.

Peko is really weak. He is adding nothing and needs to be cut. I am sorry because he has been such a great Bengal but he adds zero at this point.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 10:17 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: The OL deserves the wet blanket this week in practice and on the interwebs. AD played like AD plays for the most part. I've become accustomed to that. That OL, tho.... That could make for some serious liver issues come end of season

How bout that safety?  I really didn't see that coming.  I blame Dalton.  
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton is what he is folks. I've been saying this for several years and will continue to say it. He's not a good QB and it's about time we finally started seriously looking at other options in the off season. Unfortunately the Bengals front office seem content with him and think he's the franchise.

It's lame.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 10:41 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Andy Dalton is what he is folks. I've been saying this for several years and will continue to say it. He's not a good QB and it's about time we finally started seriously looking at other options in the off season. Unfortunately the Bengals front office seem content with him and think he's the franchise.

It's lame.

Hopefully they will find a center that can keep the new QBs pocket clean while they are at it.  

Might help.  
Reply/Quote
Forget the o-line last night.

Even when Dalton has time, he picks a WR when the play is called.

Break huddle, receives the snap, and can only throw to the pre-selected destination

He is like a robot.

Talk about that
Reply/Quote
I said this last night in the chat. Hi I'm Andy Dalton and I have directv. And I'm prime time Andy Dalton, and I have cable
[Image: BernLocksig.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 10:50 AM)Blake2Pickens Wrote: Forget the o-line last night.

Yeah.  "Forget" the o-line.  

Pass blocking is overrated.  
Reply/Quote
You dont think Dalton is a one read QB?

What team have u watched the last 5 years?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 11:05 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Yeah.  "Forget" the o-line.  

Pass blocking is overrated.  

No, I think the problem is that people like you and the 3 other crusaders can't understand that Andy was throwing off passes even when he had time.

Then you blame it on "not being in a rhythm". I'm sure you'll make a condescending comment about how being in a rhythm is overrated. Can't wait to see it. As if every other NFL QB has as much time as they need on every single play to be in an exact rhythm throughout an entire game. Oh wait, that doesn't happen. Pressure happens sometimes, it's not avoidable throughout a full NFL football game. It's funny because you know that and for that reason, your shitty excuses will always be able to be used in any situation.

Just face it, no matter what happens in a game, you WILL have an excuse for why Andy played poorly, and it will never, ever, ever be his fault.

I'm all for getting a new center and blaming the o-line when they play like crap, but the constant defense of Andy makes you look just as bad as the guys that are constantly blaming 100% of our problems on him.
Reply/Quote
Why did he only look at one guy and pass? Because that's all he had time for.

We didn't try to stop them on offense or defense last night.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 11:10 AM)djs7685 Wrote: No, I think the problem is that people like you and the 3 other crusaders can't understand that Andy was throwing off passes even when he had time.

Then you blame it on "not being in a rhythm". I'm sure you'll make a condescending comment about how being in a rhythm is overrated. Can't wait to see it. As if every other NFL QB has as much time as they need on every single play to be in an exact rhythm throughout an entire game. Oh wait, that doesn't happen. Pressure happens sometimes, it's not avoidable throughout a full NFL football game. It's funny because you know that and for that reason, your shitty excuses will always be able to be used in any situation.

Just face it, no matter what happens in a game, you WILL have an excuse for why Andy played poorly, and it will never, ever, ever be his fault.

I'm all for getting a new center and blaming the o-line when they play like crap, but the constant defense of Andy makes you look just as bad as the guys that are constantly blaming 100% of our problems on him.

Let's see...Dalton was 6/13 passing.  One was tipped by Green for a pick and one was clearly dropped by Eifert.  That makes him 6-11 on his other throws.  Not much of a sample size if you ask me.  One was clearly a bad throw to Eifert.  How many of those were rushed throws due to pressure?  

My takeaway is that the line was beaten badly.  It didn't change when McCarron came in.  They even got beat for a safety.  The biggest takeaway was the play of the offensive and defensive lines.  Given the way they played it shouldn't really come as a surprise that Dalton had a crap game.  
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 11:14 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Let's see...Dalton was 6/13 passing.  One was tipped by Green for a pick and one was clearly dropped by Eifert.  That makes him 6-11 on his other throws.  Not much of a sample size if you ask me.  One was clearly a bad throw to Eifert.  How many of those were rushed throws due to pressure?  

My takeaway is that the line was beaten badly.  It didn't change when McCarron came in.  They even got beat for a safety.  The biggest takeaway was the play of the offensive and defensive lines.  Given the way they played it shouldn't really come as a surprise that Dalton had a crap game.  

Pretty much.

I think the overall plan by Marvin was just to play a conservative preseason game. Make some safe plays and get a few bugs worked out. Lovie and the Bucs wanted to win at home and build some confidence. The screw up, for us, is now Dalton has this gem of a game to look back on because the whole team was playing crappy but he's taking the usual lumps.
Reply/Quote