Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As a 5th year starting QB
I don't really read much into pre-season games. We'll see how things shake out once the games start counting.

The ONLY thing that really worries me is that Dalton doesn't seem to play well when he has pressure on him to win. There is pressure from day 1 this year with all the failures.

I'm neutral on Dalton, but I think everyone can agree that if he can't get it done this year with this roster, 5 years is probably enough time.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 10:50 AM)Blake2Pickens Wrote: Forget the o-line last night.

Even when Dalton has time, he picks a WR when the play is called.

Break huddle, receives the snap, and can only throw to the pre-selected destination

He is like  a robot.

Talk about that

I'll talk about it.  It just is not true.

And your claim that no other QB in the league throws a timing pass before a receiver makes his cut is also absolutely false.

When Dalton had his best season in 2013 one of his biggest strengths was finding his options and throwing to the open man.  That is why we had 6 different players with 400 receiving yards that year.

Your claim that Dalton lacks such a basic skill is just ridiculous.  Dalton is not an elite QB, but he has the skill to go through progressions when he has time.  The fact that he throws timing passes does not change that.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 11:49 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'm neutral on Dalton, but I think everyone can agree that if he can't get it done this year with this roster, 5 years is probably enough time.

What do you mean by "get it done"?  Play well in a playoff game?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 10:42 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Hopefully they will find a center that can keep the new QBs pocket clean while they are at it.  

Might help.  

Last night wasn't on Bodine particularly. Zietler and Winston on right side just could not handle the Bucs DL, at all. A number stunts they just couldn't pick up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 11:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: What do you mean by "get it done"?  Play well in a playoff game?

I would set my bar at WIN a playoff game.
Reply/Quote
O Line was so bad last night it was impossible for Andy to do anything but that being said his int on the Eifert throw was inexcusable he wasn't open and the pass went high
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 12:30 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I would set my bar at WIN a playoff game.

So if Dalton goes 30-35 for 450 yards 5 tds and 0 interceptions in a playoff game but loses then we should get rid of him as our QB?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 09:39 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: If he had all day to throw the ball like Winston did he probably would have been able to.  Perhaps he's a bit gun shy seeing as how there's usually someone in his face if he waits too long?  

He had ZERO pressure when he sailed that ball over Eiferts head for the interception. It was a terrible throw into triple coverage. Typical Dalton.
Reply/Quote
"Prime Time" he is not.

Andy wilts like microwaved lettuce every time he hears a stadium ballast buzz. This bodes ill for a team with FOUR night games on the sked. {sigh}
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 09:51 AM)djs7685 Wrote: They didn't play very well, but the excuses for Andy coming from the same people as always is just humorous.

So why cant our All Pro WR catch a ball that hits him in the hands....
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 01:15 PM)Captain Happy Pants Wrote: He had ZERO pressure when he sailed that ball over Eiferts head for the interception. It was a terrible throw into triple coverage. Typical Dalton.

For those of you that are apparently new to watching the NFL Like this guy... Once a QB gets hit and hit and hit and hit... their internal clock for getting rid of the ball gets shorter and shorter.

The Throw to Eifert was bad. No question there. And the Preseason is the time to make that mistake fortantely... but letting your QB get hit play after play is definately not acceptable in the preseason.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 01:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: So why cant our All Pro WR catch a ball that hits him in the hands....

It is confounding. Gio also dropped a screen-type pass that should have been at least a 5- or 6-yard gain (if not more).

I'm going to say this, and then y'all are going to laugh at me:

I was in Florida two weeks ago. That humidity is friggin insane! Shirt soaked through just from standing outdoors for five minutes! As an Ohioan, I'm no stranger to humidity...but that was alien-world humidity. 

Why do I mention this? Because once the Bengals knew they were in a fight, they were fighting Florida, too. That 1st Team had one drive the previous week. They simply weren't prepared, and I will add "environmentally" to the list of their inadequacies. 
Reply/Quote
It's because our offense is entirely based on timing routes.

Out routes, curl routes, corner routes and post routes.

The second they try running non timing routes, like slants or drag routes, Dalton can't hit them in stride.

That's the problem is that Dalton is good at throwing to a spot and expecting his receivers to get there, but any time he has to throw based on their motion, he throws behind them or throws way in front of them.

Gonna be honest, the most impressive pass I saw out of a Bengals WR all night was at 7:09 left in the third quarter. AJ McCarron hit Little in stride on a simple drag route that Little turned into 14 yards. McCarron hit him between the numbers and Little didn't slow down, didn't have to reach and didn't have to change direction.

At all.

I've never seen Dalton make that throw.

Ever.

And I'm not exaggerating.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 01:28 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: For those of you that are apparently new to watching the NFL Like this guy... Once a QB gets hit and hit and hit and hit... their internal clock for getting rid of the ball gets shorter and shorter.

The Throw to Eifert was bad. No question there.         And the Preseason is the time to make that mistake fortantely...    but letting your QB get hit play after play is definately not acceptable in the preseason.

It was a offensive team meltdown in the first half, quite similar to the Cleveland and Indy games last year. Thought we were working on these problems. Then they appear again in preseason. Me not liking the coaches very much.

This wasn't just Andy, but he was part of it. No excuses allowed. Green giving it away does make it ok for Dalton to turn around and throw a pick on the next series. The bad OL play doesn't excuse the poor handling of the pass rush by our QB. McCarron handled the pressure much better. Not saying he's a better QB or that we should change, just saying that he dealt with it better.

For any other NFL team a bad preseason performance like this would simply bring out the coach saying, "Well, certainly have things to work on in practice and those guys who want to be here will respond."

But when it comes to Marvin, we've heard that before so many times about the same damn things and they keep coming up and don't get fixed. So, for Marvin, no one really believes they'll get fixed. At least I don't.

Not liking Hue Jackson much either. Lots of words, no change.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 01:28 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: For those of you that are apparently new to watching the NFL Like this guy... Once a QB gets hit and hit and hit and hit... their internal clock for getting rid of the ball gets shorter and shorter.

The Throw to Eifert was bad. No question there.         And the Preseason is the time to make that mistake fortantely...    but letting your QB get hit play after play is definately not acceptable in the preseason.

We talk and talk about how great our o-line is and then they play badly enough in pre-season to turn Dalton into David Carr?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 10:41 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Andy Dalton is what he is folks. I've been saying this for several years and will continue to say it. He's not a good QB and it's about time we finally started seriously looking at other options in the off season. Unfortunately the Bengals front office seem content with him and think he's the franchise.

It's lame.

I have never voiced an opinion (+/-) about Dalton. However, with all the hype this preseason about AD stepping up and taking on the leadership role, I now have an opinion. HE CAN'T DO IT!
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 12:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So if Dalton goes 30-35 for 450 yards 5 tds and 0 interceptions in a playoff game but loses then we should get rid of him as our QB?

I want to see that scenario!!! Then I'll decide Dalton's fate.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 12:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So if Dalton goes 30-35 for 450 yards 5 tds and 0 interceptions in a playoff game but loses then we should get rid of him as our QB?

ummm.. with those numbers I doubt we lose that playoff game Wink
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote