Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As a Lifelong Cincinnati Reds Fan, I NEVER Though in a Million Years I'd Say This ...
THANK GOD FOR THE CINCINNATI BENGALS  !!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
I don't think I've ever gone into a baseball season with less optimism for my team and into a football season with more optimism for my team. I've always felt Cincy was a baseball town but with the way the Bengals and Reds are trending that may change before long.

Anyone else a huge Reds' fan as well?
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 07:03 PM)Science Friction Wrote: THANK GOD FOR THE CINCINNATI BENGALS  !!!!!!!!

I guess a million years have passed.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I'm even on both teams. I grew up a Reds fan and a Bengals fan. Nothing has changed. I'll always want both teams to win it all every season..  That's just how I'm wired.  ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 07:48 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'm even on both teams. I grew up a Reds fan and a Bengals fan. Nothing has changed. I'll always want both teams to win it all every season..  That's just how I'm wired.  ThumbsUp

I'm the same way. Been a Reds' fan since '70 ; a Bengals' fan since '75.  That will never change, although I stopped caring as much for the Bengals after the travesty in the Jungle in 2015 against the Steelers. Got back on board after Burrow got here and really stoked that we are one of the better teams in the league now. I'm disappointed in Reds' management but will still root hard for the team to win every last game. Bengals' management has really stepped up their game the last couple of years. Wish the Reds' "braintrusts" would get their shit together.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 08:03 PM)Science Friction Wrote: I'm the same way. Been a Reds' fan since '70 ; a Bengals' fan since '75.  That will never change, although I stopped caring as much for the Bengals after the travesty in the Jungle in 2015 against the Steelers. Got back on board after Burrow got here and really stoked that we are one of the better teams in the league now. I'm disappointed in Reds' management but will still root hard for the team to win every last game. Bengals' management has really stepped up their game the last couple of years. Wish the Reds' "braintrusts" would get their shit together.

I go back beyond diaper days (1960s) with the Reds being my own grandfather was picked by the Reds to play for them, but he was underage at the time and his parents wouldn't allow it instead made him work in their store..  Anyway, as far back as I can remember my grandpa would sit me and my brother down in the living room and talk baseball endlessly then start showing us all the scars on his legs..He was a catcher before any real shin guards and spiking players was perfectly legal.. He played and coached in amateur ball in Dayton for years.. Much later in life an old woman who knew my grandparents lived across the street from me and told the story of my grandfather losing one of his nuts when it got spiked or hit with a baseball..not sure about the exact sequence, but she claimed he lost it playing ball in Dayton..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 05:43 PM)Science Friction Wrote: I don't think I've ever gone into a baseball season with less optimism for my team and into a football season with more optimism for my team. I've always felt Cincy was a baseball town but with the way the Bengals and Reds are trending that may change before long.

Reds fan since 1964. Don't even live in the area. Got hooked by the 1964 pennant race and then found I could get their radio broadcasts at night even in the mountains of northeastern PA. Spend many a school night under the covers listening to the games so my parents wouldn't catch me and make me turn it off. From Reds, became a Bengals fan when they started. 

Lot of great years and satisfying years cheering for the Reds. Hard to believe what they did to the team this offseason.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 10:04 PM)grampahol Wrote: I go back beyond diaper days (1960s) with the Reds being my own grandfather was picked by the Reds to play for them, but he was underage at the time and his parents wouldn't allow it instead made him work in their store..  Anyway, as far back as I can remember my grandpa would sit me and my brother down in the living room and talk baseball endlessly then start showing us all the scars on his legs..He was a catcher before any real shin guards and spiking players was perfectly legal.. He played and coached in amateur ball in Dayton for years.. Much later in life an old woman who knew my grandparents lived across the street from me and told the story of my grandfather losing one of his nuts when it got spiked or hit with a baseball..not sure about the exact sequence, but she claimed he lost it playing ball in Dayton..

Great story. Except not sure if I was your grandpa I would want to be famous to the women in the area for losing a nut.
Reply/Quote
I'm not really a baseball fan but I read the other day that Ken Griffey Jr. is currently the 6th highest paid player (ex-player really) on the Reds payroll due to differed salary. He's apparently getting paid $3,593,750 this year. Anyway I found that interesting.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I don’t even pay attention to the Reds much anymore. There is zero chance of them doing anything and I don’t see that changing. Baseball is a mess.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 10:11 PM)Nepa Wrote: Reds fan since 1964. Don't even live in the area. Got hooked by the 1964 pennant race and then found I could get their radio broadcasts at night even in the mountains of northeastern PA. Spend many a school night under the covers listening to the games so my parents wouldn't catch me and make me turn it off. From Reds, became a Bengals fan when they started. 

Lot of great years and satisfying years cheering for the Reds. Hard to believe what they did to the team this offseason.

LOL  All these years I thought I was the only kid crazy enough about the Reds to have done that. Did the exact same thing. If I had just a dime for every night I hopped into bed with my little transistor radio.
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I am kind of wondering what the Castellinis are going to do with the Reds. Castellini Corp has been selling off portions of its business for the last 3 years, or so.

Either way, I am so glad the Bengals are on the path they are, because the Reds certainly don't seem to be all in on a championship.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 07:48 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'm even on both teams. I grew up a Reds fan and a Bengals fan. Nothing has changed. I'll always want both teams to win it all every season..  That's just how I'm wired.  ThumbsUp

Me too but believe one is delivering much more joy lately. 

Love the Reds but they get so close and sit idle in lieu of trying to get back to WS it seems. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 10:29 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don’t even pay attention to the Refs much anymore.  There is zero chance of them doing anything and I don’t see that changing. Baseball is a mess.

Which makes me very sad because I love the game. But you're right , it's a mess.   Seven inning DH's ....   beyond sad!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 11:08 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Me too but believe one is delivering much more joy lately. 

Love the Reds but they get so close and sit idle in lieu of trying to get back to WS it seems. 

They were just a couple or three pieces away from being a legitimate playoff contender... AND THEN THIS!  Frustrating.  Like I said, Thank God for the Bengals!
Reply/Quote
**** the Reds.

Actually, **** Bob Castellini, but as long as he refuses to sell the team to someone that will attempt to field a competitive team, I’ll have to say **** the Reds. There’s pretty much no point in rooting for them this year.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I’m so disgusted with the Reds. I’m out. Maybe I’ll go back to watching, going to games, caring how they do someday but not until the team has real owners.

Go through a rebuild, get close, then start a new rebuild without ever really trying to win? That’s not a team, that’s a scam. I’m not giving them anything, and I don’t miss it to be honest. Good news is we knew this was coming for at least a year now. Can’t say they didn’t warn us, so I’ve had plenty of time to get to this point.

The Bengals picked the absolute perfect time to get their act together. Cincy needed it.
Reply/Quote
The Reds' woes, along with the crazy rule changes (crazy, imo)like 7-inning doubleheaders and the Manfed Man runner on second in extras, has made me lose interest in baseball. And I hate like hell that it's happened because I've always loved baseball.  Never thought I'd long for September more than April.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 05:43 PM)Science Friction Wrote: I don't think I've ever gone into a baseball season with less optimism for my team and into a football season with more optimism for my team. I've always felt Cincy was a baseball town but with the way the Bengals and Reds are trending that may change before long.

I grew up with the Big Red Machine, but the 1990 team was my favorite.  I love the Reds and I love going to games...awesome stadium and surrounding areas.

However, I never have ANY hope that the Reds will contend for a World Series.  None.

Baseball is a mess and has next to no competitive balance.  

The reason the Reds have such a following and Cincy HAS been a baseball town is because they WON.  It has been over 30 years since they won anything and the recent success of the Bengals and how the city responded has shown you how starving this town has been for success.  

The Reds will again be a non-factor.  The Bengals are hot and have an amazing and fun leader in Burrow.  

The Bengals have nearly sold out the stadium with season tickets.  This is NOW a football town, and I doubt it ever returns to baseball. 
Reply/Quote
Of the two major sports franchise owners in the city of Cincinnati who would have ever thought Mike Brown would be the smart one?
Reply/Quote