Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As a Lifelong Cincinnati Reds Fan, I NEVER Though in a Million Years I'd Say This ...
MLB has no salary cap or revenue sharing. The NFL has revenue sharing.

IF the MLB was setup like the NFL...I think you'd see way more parity.

In the NFL, there were like 4-5 franchises just horribly managed over the past couple decades. The Bengals seem to have broken away from that...and some of it might be getting Joe Burrow. Lets face it, if Andy Dalton were still the QB, we may not have won a playoff game last year. We may not have made the playoffs.

I think the Browns get that too...and that's why they moved on from Mayfield. And look, the Colts took Matt Ryan over Mayfield. Mayfield is quickly becoming Andy Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 10:18 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I'm not really a baseball fan but I read the other day that Ken Griffey Jr. is currently the 6th highest paid player (ex-player really) on the Reds payroll due to differed salary. He's apparently getting paid $3,593,750 this year.   Anyway I found that interesting.

What a joke. 

I used to be a big baseball fan and huge Reds fan.  Not anymore.  I do still pull for the Reds but invest zero in them, never go to games, rarely watch unless they happen to be in contention.

I think it stems from the fact that MLB just can't seem to figure it out like the NFL has.  The salary cap and free agency in the NFL keeps the playing field level for all.  It basically boils down to which organization is the best at business management year in and year out.  Everyone has a chance eventually.

Not in baseball, it's the haves and have nots.  Those with the big market money consistently complete and most of the time the others don't.  Count me out.  Baseball is dying a slow death and they are too stupid to realize it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The 17 years of the current ownership has been such a let down. I expected more when Castelini bought the team. As said mentioned in this thread I wish baseball had a cap like the NFL. The disparity is huge.
Reply/Quote
Been a Reds fan since 1975.
I used to listen to the games with my Grandma on the AM radio (WLW 700.
"And this one belongs to the Reds"
Anyways, after the traded George Foster to the Mets, I soured on them until they won it all in 1990.
Nowadays, I couldn't name one person on the roster, besides the pitcher, Luis Castillo.
Still rooting for them though.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 05:43 PM)Science Friction Wrote: I don't think I've ever gone into a baseball season with less optimism for my team and into a football season with more optimism for my team. I've always felt Cincy was a baseball town but with the way the Bengals and Reds are trending that may change before long.

Anyone else a huge Reds' fan as well?

Been a Reds fan since 1961 when they played the Yankees in the WS and lost 4 games to 1. That was the year Mantle and Maris were battling to surpass Babe Ruth's HR record of 60. Maris finally hit his 61st on the last day of the regular season. Mickey Mantle (is there a better baseball name than that? Maybe Johnny Bench, who's my favorite Red of all time) was injured during the World Series and played very little. I saw someone else mention the 1964 pennant race in the National League. This was before playoffs and the team with the best record in the NL played the team with the best record in the AL in the WS. On the last day of the season in 64 there were four teams in the running for the NL title. The Reds, Cardinals, Giants, and Phillies. The Reds were playing the Phillies that day and my mom and dad and I went. Jim Bunning was pitching for the Phils and they won 10-0. We left in the 6th inning. The damned Cardinals went on to win the pennant and then beat the damned Yankees 4 games to 3 in the WS.

In 1975 the Reds held a public tryout at Riverfront. I knew I didn't have a shot. I was 24 and overweight but as a kid it was my dream to be a ML player so I knew the closest I would get would be to play in the stadium that day so I went. There were 235 people trying out that day and I heard they signed one person to a minor league contract and it wasn't me. But it was great playing in the stadium.

I'll always be fan of the Reds. I love to go to GABP although I live 90 miles away in Lexington. I grew up in N. Kentucky so naturally I've been a fan of both teams. The Bengals since day 1. BTW the area around both stadiums, the Banks, is just great. My wife and I went to Seattle last year and I went to a Mariners game. I was shocked that there was very little outside the two stadiums there. And T-Mobil Park is nowhere near as nice as GABP.

Sorry this is so long. Sometimes I start rambling about my teams and can't stop.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote