Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asian or Oriental?
When in doubt just say Chinese.
(03-18-2017, 07:47 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: When in doubt just say Chinese.

Or, as my Uncle used to say Chinaman.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
This is turning into a game of "how many stereotypes can we fit into one thread".

Is he who shall not be named secretly here?!?!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-18-2017, 07:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: This is turning into a game of "how many stereotypes can we fit into one thread".

No, it's not.  I asked a serious question.  All I have received are canned answers.  It's not my fault if people want to deviate and have a little fun with the thread.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-18-2017, 04:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why is it considered bad form to refer to people from SE Asia as Oriental? I understand that Asian is now the preferred term of reference, but I'm not sure it means what everyone intends it to mean. When a person says "Asian", the common thought is a person of Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc. decent. But alas, there are more Countries in Asia, and those people look nothing like the stereotypical "Asian" person. I mean you have people from Russia, India, and many more, and they look nothing like the people commonly associated as being Asian.

So, why can't we still use "Oriental" to differentiate?

I think the term fell out of favor for Asians when the term "Occidental" stopped being used for westerners. Here comes my Latin training, just when I thought I wouldn't use it outside of Church: The "orientalis" is Latin for "rise" which is what the sun does in the east and "occidentalis" is the Latin prefix for "set" which is what the sun does in the west. North and south in Latin are "borealis" and "australis" which are why the northern and southern lights are named that way.
(03-18-2017, 07:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Because America is in the full title of our Nation.  The United States of America.  We are a Nation of States, all united under the common flag of America.

Besides, why should people only from SE Asia get credit for being Asian? I mean, no one looks at the average Vodka chugging Cossack and thinks, "Hey, he's Asian, perhaps he could help me with my Math homework.".

But it's all perspective. If you asked your average vodka chugging Cossack, they would tell you they share a continent with Germany as much as they do with China. So why would they be called Asians when they aren't? In Russia and eastern Europe, the six-continent setup is used combining the continents of Europe and Asia. Some places, like Spain, France, Italy, Portugal, and their former colonies (including Latin America) also teach six continents, but the Americas are just America.

The way we view the world is all very subjective based on where you formed your world view. It's often why when it comes down to it with regards to where someone is from, deferring to them can be a best practice to avoid offense.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-18-2017, 07:58 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I think the term fell out of favor for Asians when the term "Occidental" stopped being used for westerners.  Here comes my Latin training, just when I thought I wouldn't use it outside of Church:  The "orientalis" is Latin for "rise" which is what the sun does in the east and "occidentalis" is the Latin prefix for "set" which is what the sun does in the west.  North and south in Latin are "borealis" and "australis" which are why the northern and southern lights are named that way.

Yet, Japan is still commonly referred to as the "Land of the rising sun.".

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-18-2017, 08:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yet, Japan is still commonly referred to as the "Land of the rising sun.".

It's considered the eastern edge of Asia where the sun hits first.
(03-18-2017, 07:47 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: When in doubt just say Chinese.

(03-18-2017, 07:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No, it's not.  I asked a serious question.  All I have received are canned answers.  It's not my fault if people want to deviate and have a little fun with the thread.

You have received serious answers but keep not accepting them/changing the question.

Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-18-2017, 08:12 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It's considered the eastern edge of Asia where the sun hits first.

Thus, the term Orient.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-18-2017, 08:18 PM)GMDino Wrote: You have received serious answers but keep not accepting them/changing the question.

You claim to give a serious answer, but I felt none of your heart in it.  I don't want google canned responses.  Tell me why you think it's wrong to refer to people from the Orient as Oriental.  Keep in mind, I'm an old dude and remember when folks from East Asia were just fine with the term Oriental.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
I think it is the most Politically Correct term we can come up with to describe what used to be the Mongoloid Race, before identifying people by similar genetic traits became taboo.

Asian has become a race; as you wouldn't classify the vast majority of Israelis as Asian.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-18-2017, 07:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: This is turning into a game of "how many stereotypes can we fit into one thread".

Some people just need an anonymous outlet for their baseless racial animosity and general inferiority complex.

As to your second comment, I'm sure there is some leakage.
(03-18-2017, 10:09 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Some people just need an anonymous outlet for their baseless racial animosity and general inferiority complex.  

Not baseless, or inferior. Though I do admire the "Asians" for their born understanding of Mathematics.  However, why does one portion of a Continent get descriptor recognition for the entirety?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
So.......ok.

Is it....

Oriental Massage Parlor ?
or
Asian Massage Parlor ?

Asking for a friend.
Ninja

What pops into your head when you heard someone described as Asian? Do you have a stereotype that pops into your head or do you think They could be talking about someone from Palestine? 

Vas Deferens Wrote:Some people just need an anonymous outlet for their baseless racial animosity and general inferiority complex.

It appears the OP is questioning the validity of the Asian classification and that those who use it may be doing so in error; however, it's usually best just to say RACIST!.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-18-2017, 08:07 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: But it's all perspective. If you asked your average vodka chugging Cossack, they would tell you they share a continent with Germany as much as they do with China. So why would they be called Asians when they aren't? In Russia and eastern Europe, the six-continent setup is used combining the continents of Europe and Asia. Some places, like Spain, France, Italy, Portugal, and their former colonies (including Latin America) also teach six continents, but the Americas are just America.

The way we view the world is all very subjective based on where you formed your world view. It's often why when it comes down to it with regards to where someone is from, deferring to them can be a best practice to avoid offense.

I kid you not, while I was in second year high school geography in Brazil they taught a 5 continent model. When I said that I was taught 7 continents I was looked at like I had 2 heads.

As for the OP, I can agree that Asian is not an ideal word to use but Oriental is just as bad, if not worse. 
(03-18-2017, 10:27 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: So.......ok.

Is it....

Oriental Massage Parlor ?
or
Asian Massage Parlor ?

Asking for a friend.
Ninja

When in doubt, just say "rub 'n' tug".
Asian is used because that's the way it is, who cares if it's right or wrong, it don't matter, that's the way it is.

Someday, maybe it'll change to "the people who live in 3", who knows, it don't matter, it's the way it is.
(03-18-2017, 11:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It appears the OP is questioning the validity of the Asian classification and that those who use it may be doing so in error; however, it's usually best just to say RACIST!.

It may appear that way to a reader with a specific shared agenda. But a more informed reading, one with the context of prior statements by said 'OP', would suggest just as you've said.

Good work.