Poll: Which position group needs the most love?
This poll is closed.
QB
1.35%
1 1.35%
WR
4.05%
3 4.05%
TE
0%
0 0%
RB
2.70%
2 2.70%
DL
25.68%
19 25.68%
LB
58.11%
43 58.11%
S
6.76%
5 6.76%
CB
1.35%
1 1.35%
Total 74 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Aside from OL, what position group do the Bengals need most improvement?
I say LB. The Bengals LB corps looks old, fat, and slow. The sorry part is, this is the best that they have to put out there. Burfict, our only pseudo-Star at the position, is often injured, suspended, and far from lean. For quite some time, the organization has short changed the LB position with mid to late round picks, UDFAs, and "bargain" Free Agents.

The Bengals haven't invested a serious draft pick on the LB position since Rey Maualuga (2nd round) and Keith Rivers (1st). Anyone else feel like it's high time for the Bengals to heavily invest in the position of LB? I mean, our guys are very average at stopping the run, below average in covering the pass, we have virtually no one that can roam sideline to sideline, in the traditional sense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Kicker
LB's
RB's

We are getting an extra first round CB in the secondary (Jackson III) and Peko's replacement on the Dline (Billings) next year
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 07:31 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Kicker
LB's
RB's

We are getting an extra first round CB in the secondary (Jackson III) and Peko's replacement on the Dline (Billings) next year

While I agree that we need a new kicker, I'm also relatively certain that no team spends a top pick on one.  RB is iffy, in my book.  The way I see it, if the OL blocks effectively, the two proven vets we have at 1 and 2 will look like Superstars.  However, I wanted to avoid the OL question in this particular thread, as we all have been talking about OL, from game 1 moving forward.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 07:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I say LB.  The Bengals LB corps looks old, fat, and slow.  The sorry part is, this is the best that they have to put out there.  Burfict, our only pseudo-Star at the position, is often injured, suspended, and far from lean.  For quite some time, the organization has short changed the LB position with mid to late round picks, UDFAs, and "bargain" Free Agents.  

The Bengals haven't invested a serious draft pick on the LB position since Rey Maualuga (2nd round) and Keith Rivers (1st).  Anyone else feel like it's high time for the Bengals to heavily invest in the position of LB?  I mean, our guys are very average at stopping the run, below average in covering the pass, we have virtually no one that can roam sideline to sideline, in the traditional sense.

They spent a first and a 2nd on those guys at MLB and WLB.  Rivers didn't work out at WLB, but he was not replaced by a bargain guy, he was replaced with Thomas Howard, a second round FA who played very well until being injured and opening the door for Burfict.  It's the SAM position that needs to be addressed, but even there they have tried with Lawson, Hawk, Harrison, and Dansby all being solid NFL players being brought in for the position because the draft hasn't provided a good fit.  So they have not short changed the position.  They just haven't been long term solutions or did not fit the position as expected.  I'm going to give Vigil the benefit of the doubt that he can grow into a replacement for 58, so SAM is the spot that needs to be addressed on the second level.  If Smith can't overtake Williams at safety, then I might say we go there over SAM, but it would be nice to have a good SAM in their.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 07:52 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: They spent a first and a 2nd on those guys at MLB and WLB.  Rivers didn't work out at WLB, but he was not replaced by a bargain guy, he was replaced with Thomas Howard, a second round FA who played very well until being injured and opening the door for Burfict.  It's the SAM position that needs to be addressed, but even there they have tried with Lawson, Hawk, Harrison, and Dansby all being solid NFL players being brought in for the position because the draft hasn't provided a good fit.  So they have not short changed the position.  They just haven't been long term solutions or did not fit the position as expected.  I'm going to give Vigil the benefit of the doubt that he can grow into a replacement for 58, so SAM is the spot that needs to be addressed on the second level.  If Smith can't overtake Williams at safety, then I might say we go there over SAM, but it would be nice to have a good SAM in their.

Good stuff, but you also must remember that the Raiders were dumping Howard for a reason.  They felt that he wasn't living up to his 2nd round pick status.  So, yes he did well with the change of scenery, here with the Bengals, and the Defensive coaches that we had at that time.  Rivers never quite regained his confidence, after the broken jaw.  He was left, as a broken player.  Sad for him, and the team.

The rest of the guys that you speak of, only go to support my position that the team has been filling the voids with low draft picks and free agent scrubs.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Left off kicker and DE. LB is high on the list though as Ray and Dansby are at the end.

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 08:01 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Left off kicker and DE. LB is high on the list though as Ray and Dansby are at the end.

DE is a part of DL, is it not?  I didn't put Kicker on the list, because who in the hell spends a top pick on a freakin' kicker?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 08:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: DE is a part of DL, is it not?  I didn't put Kicker on the list, because who in the hell spends a top pick on a freakin' kicker?

Yes it is.

Reply/Quote
Definitely the defensive side of ball if excluding O-line.

DE, DT, and LB

No particular order (voted LB though) just whichever one offers best value on draft day.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 08:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good stuff, but you also must remember that the Raiders were dumping Howard for a reason.  They felt that he wasn't living up to his 2nd round pick status.  So, yes he did well with the change of scenery, here with the Bengals, and the Defensive coaches that we had at that time.  Rivers never quite regained his confidence, after the broken jaw.  He was left, as a broken player.  Sad for him, and the team.

The rest of the guys that you speak of, only go to support my position that the team has been filling the voids with low draft picks and free agent scrubs.

Hmm, I thought he was waived injured knowing he would not re-sign.  I could be wrong of course.
Reply/Quote
On another note, what a bunch of fickle ninnies some of you are. At this point, we have 109 looks, but only 7 votes. What are you afraid of? If you think I'm full of shit, tell me so. Trust me, it won't bother me. At my age, I can let lots roll off of my big, broad shoulders. Wink

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Safety
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
K
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 09:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Safety

Fair enough.  But, allow me to ask you a question.  Why did Iloka look like All-Pro material, and in relief of the injured Reggie Nelson did Shawn Williams look like he was ready to take over the duties?  With the Safeties, I'm not convinced that it is the bodies on the field that are the problem, as much as the man on the sidelines that coaches them.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Safety, closely followed by LBs.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 09:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Fair enough.  But, allow me to ask you a question.  Why did Iloka look like All-Pro material, and in relief of the injured Reggie Nelson did Shawn Williams look like he was ready to take over the duties?  With the Safeties, I'm not convinced that it is the bodies on the field that are the problem, as much as the man on the sidelines that coaches them.

Iloka is the TJ Housmanzadah on Safeties. Williams has never been more than average.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Three option Andy, looked like all the WR(s) could do no wrong today. Even though A.J. wasn't there, I really liked how the passing game stepped up (mainly) LaFell, and Boyd on a few to cover A.J.'s loss. Eifert was good early, and then in the second half he wan't really utilized. In any case, nice to see more points on the board than in the past few weeks.

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
This is hard,we have a lot of holes, we need safety, linebacker and a defensive end. I guess I'll go with d line. But I would love to put Reuben Foster next to burfict.
Reply/Quote
I voted LB, but special teams was not an option. Nugent is the worst kicker in the league, Erickson is a bottom tier returner, and Huber has had a down year. The LB corps needs an influx of athleticism.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
DE because Hunt and Gilberry won't be here. LB would be close second.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote