Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 4.39 Average
Ask Jim Owczarski
(11-13-2016, 12:09 AM)jowczarski Wrote: He knows Zeitler is a free agent and, likely, gone – the Bengals won’t pay a guard $9-10 million annually

On this subject. Why won't the Bengals pay Zeitler the money?.

Look - they may. Once they get to that point in the offseason they may determine, well, that’s the market and Zeitler deserves it. But if you’re Zeitler and see DeCastro making $10 million – it’s not wrong to say you want around $9. So if the Bengals don’t offer that, you’ll want to get to 4 p.m. and see what the market bears. Then, of course, anything can happen.

But that opens a couple possibilities. What if Whit says I’ll move inside for $7 for the next two years? What if Whit and the team agree to keep him, and pay him to stay outside but they feel Fisher a better fit inside? Unanswerable questions until that time. So the team has some leverage, as does the player.

I also say that because if you’re talking about $9 million annually, when you look at the way the team spends that kind of money, they do it on the marquee positions. Currently four players make that annually – the left tackle, the quarterback, the wide receiver and the All-Pro pass rushing d-tackle.

What if they decide to pay Kirkpatrick? That’s also the time of year the team would decide on whether or not to extend Jeremy Hill and Vontaze Burfict. Both are free agents after 2017. Not saying they’d run out of cap room – they never will – but they do budget.

And if you’re talking $9 million annually for four years – that creeps into the period when you need to think about extending (or not) Atkins and Dunlap and Ogbuehi – who could be your franchise left tackle at that point. Who knows what the market would like for all of those players should they get there at Pro Bowl levels.

So while I believe the team will give Zeitler an offer, I don’t think if he can get $9-10 on the open market they’ll go that high. But say Kirkpatrick doesn’t extend or re-sign, say Whit gets a huge deal elsewhere, say Hill says no, I’ll gamble on myself…well, then that could change things. At that point in the year, so much can happen.

The way Ogbuehi played this year I really don't see us doing anything but re-signing Whit. So that's going to be $7-9M. We could also draft a LT to be our 4th tackle next year. Ogbuehi is anything but a sure thing and Paul Alexander's opinion doesn't carry much weight any more.

The Bengals historically do not value OGs enough to drop high dollar contracts on them. And we can't forget that Bodine is heading into the last year of his rookie deal and it is very possible that the front office could extend Bodine and let Zeitler walk. It would be a kick in the nuts for the fans, but that never stopped Mike Brown before.

We have a lot of free agents this off season: Kirkpatrick (should re-sign), Whitworth (should re-sign), Peko (goodbye), Zeitler (I believe he walks), Hunt (goodbye), Burkhead (should re-sign), Peerman (goodbye), Winston (goodbye), Gilberry (goodbye), Thompson (goodbye), Chykie Brown (goodbye), Bullock (re-sign or bring in a RFA kicker), TJ Johnson (cheap).

We could cut Maualuga and I don't think there's any dead money in his final year. That would free up some money.

It's going to be an interesting off season and draft.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Hey, Jim.

After watching this team's lack of pass rush on Sunday and for most of the season, it continues to stick in my craw that this team just can't bring itself to spend first round selections on d-linemen. Corner after corner after ineffective, 3-year plan corner, and the same old guys on the d-line.

Is there any insight you can give us into this team's odd philosophy on never drafting pass rushers interior d-linemen in round 1? Are they just going to stand slappys next to Geno and Carlos and pray that they get lucky in the middle rounds again until both of those guys are old and ineffective? I don't get it at all, and the results of this neglect have shown themselves on the field almost every game day in 2016. God forbid they sign an outside FA to fix the issue.
Reply/Quote
I have three questions, and yes, one has to do with coaching.

1. Is there any indication that the Bengals will be moving on from certain players after this year? IE: Maualuga, Peko.

2. We already know that coaches aren't going to get fired. But is there any chance that Zampese could get demoted back to QB coach? Or do you think he's stuck as the OC for another year?

3. This is just a personal one, but what has been your personal favorite memory this year while covering the Bengals? Could be a sotry, and interview, a game moment, anything.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Sorry all – with the holiday and all this news and non-news, it’s been a bit busy:

Everything is always just so much easier when the team is winning...

Always.

there is a behind the scenes story there I would love to read if they are ever willing to talk to you.

Yeah, Carson kind of feels it’s old news but he hasn’t really gone there – and many of tried when the Bengals played the Cardinals last year. Mike Brown doesn’t like to dwell on the past, so he won’t say much – it’s definitely something Marvin and Carson will have to truly expound on for the details.

I would just love to see reporters (i understand it is your job and you do not want to lose it) start hammering on ML and MB on their 14 yr and 26 yr of failures.

Here’s the thing: what exactly are they going to say? Trust me, they are trying to win. They try in their fashion, which may or may not suit those who follow the club. Honestly, the simple answer to the Steelers question (they’ve had good success against Baltimore in the Dalton era) and against winning teams could be pretty simple – they’re just not better than those squads. Now, I will agree that in seven playoff games in 11 years you would think they would even luck into one win, and perhaps there is something to be said about not being good enough to win one of those games. But I also know you could explain away a few of those playoff losses quite legitimately. There are legitimate questions to ask about the coaching and preparation for those games. But you can’t really ask “Hey, why do you suck?” and they’re not going to say “Here are all the reasons why we suck.”

And, I’m one of those guys who thinks that at some point, the players need to make the plays to win the game. Yes, the coaches do get blame and justifiably so, but Adam Jones is right all day – coaches coach, players play. They are the ones who physically affect things.

Does management care at all about fan base opinions on Marvin?

Not that I’m aware of.

When will Marvin be held accountable?

By being fired? Not this year.

The way Ogbuehi played this year I really don't see us doing anything but re-signing Whit. So that's going to be $7-9M. We could also draft a LT to be our 4th tackle next year. Ogbuehi is anything but a sure thing and Paul Alexander's opinion doesn't carry much weight any more.

Totally fair.

After watching this team's lack of pass rush on Sunday and for most of the season, it continues to stick in my craw that this team just can't bring itself to spend first round selections on d-linemen. Corner after corner after ineffective, 3-year plan corner, and the same old guys on the d-line.

Is there any insight you can give us into this team's odd philosophy on never drafting pass rushers interior d-linemen in round 1?

No idea to be honest, since this will be my third draft. One could argue they haven’t had that kind of grade on a defensive end at No. 21 and 24. This year, I think it’s a good chance they look in that direction in the top 10.

Is there any indication that the Bengals will be moving on from certain players after this year? IE: Maualuga, Peko.

I haven’t had those conversations yet – honestly teams only like to speak about the next season when the current one is concluded. That’s fair. However, in my opinion, there is a good chance of that.

We already know that coaches aren't going to get fired. But is there any chance that Zampese could get demoted back to QB coach? Or do you think he's stuck as the OC for another year?

No demotions will happen. And I do think he will get a second season as OC to work out the issues they’ve had this year. I’ll always leave open the possibility of change because no one can predict the future, but I am reasonably confident in that thought.

This is just a personal one, but what has been your personal favorite memory this year while covering the Bengals? Could be a sotry, and interview, a game moment, anything.

Thanks for this question! The year has been a lot of fun, starting with training with Kevin Zeitler and then doing the first real profile of Andy that’s been done, and being the first to go to his home to do it. In season those things are obviously more difficult to pull off, but generally this is a very good group of coaches and players just to be around. It’s a trying season no doubt, and it’s been tougher on a week to week basis because losing gets to everyone. Traveling up to Pittsburgh for a day was interesting as well, and a first.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Really appreciate your being willing to bring your perspective to the message boards this year.  You're a unique and refreshing addition to the press corps.

Happy New Year man
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 12:20 PM)3wt Wrote: Really appreciate your being willing to bring your perspective to the message boards this year.  You're a unique and refreshing addition to the press corps.

Happy New Year man

Ditto, Jim. 

Thanks for taking the time and having the patience to stick around and answer questions. Fans don't get too much insight to behind the scenes stuff or to people who deal with players and coaches on a daily basis and I appreciate you being willing to take the time to give us some of that. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Jim: First off, I appreciate you still taking questions even as the fans grow more and more frustrated by a very disappointing season. Everything is more fun when the team is winning, obviously, but unfortunately, losing brings out the emotion of the fan base and some valid "negative" questions mixed in with that emotion. So I guess what I view as a valid question is this:

Is there any questioning of Paul Alexander within the organization right now, or do they just not hold him accountable for the performance of his group? From my perspective, it looks like Paul has failed in every aspect of his job recently. He pushed for guys like Ogbuehi, Fisher and Bodine. All have struggled, some mightily. So either he pushed to select players who aren't quality...or he failed to have them prepared for 2016. The failure of Ogbuehi alone is to me the biggest reason for our current 5-9-1 record.

In total, we've allowed 40 sacks (most since 2012 and among the worst in the league) and last I checked, we ranked 24th in yards per carry. I can't help but feel any other team coming off a 12-4 record that fell to 5-10-1 in large part due to the performance of one position group littered with hand picked guys, would probably replace that coach. It truly is frustrating that Mike Brown treats his coaches like family, as it seems to take too many years to make necessary changes.

In short, my questions are:

1. Is Paul Alexander's job in any danger (I think I know the answer)
2. Does Art Modell firing Mike Brown's father still have an influence on him to this day? Namely his extreme patience with coaches?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Hey Jim, I have a couple of draft questions.

1. Is there any way you (the press), or the fans, have to gain access to the draft prospect projections that the NFL provides to the teams? I would really like to see that some time.

2. Have you been able to see the actual draft board that the Bengals have created in previous drafts?

3. Any whispers of the Bengals being interested in Malik McDowell, DE/DT from Michigan State?

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
Thanks for keeping this particular thread civil and for your patience, since I can’t always get here as regularly as I like - It’s been fun and I’ll for sure continue to do it.

Also, Happy New Year to all of you as well!

Yes, you know the answer – but just because a coach isn’t fired doesn’t mean he isn’t evaluated. With the issues surrounding Bodine for years, now Ogbuehi (and to a lesser extent Fisher) it’s fair to take a hard look and maybe think about changing/improving techniques and styles. But the track record is good and no one said a word about the o-line, really, the last two years (aside from Bodine).

2. Does Art Modell firing Mike Brown's father still have an influence on him to this day? Namely his extreme patience with coaches?

Not sure about that direct correlation, but Mike does think that coaches are teachers and motivators. He does believe in giving them time. If he’s made a coaching change, it’s because he feels the players aren’t being taught properly or players have quit/been lost. He doesn’t feel that’s the case with this current group of coaches.

1. Is there any way you (the press), or the fans, have to gain access to the draft prospect projections that the NFL provides to the teams? I would really like to see that some time.

An NFL-produced dossier? I’m sure there is one, in some fashion, but no, we don’t get access to that. The teams do their own scouting and they’re already on to the freshman who played this year in college, so even if the league itself put something together (which I’m not sure they do) it would be nothing more than a reference point.

2. Have you been able to see the actual draft board that the Bengals have created in previous drafts?

Yes, I have seen it, in the physical sense. I’ve been in the room, and I’ve seen what it looks like.

3. Any whispers of the Bengals being interested in Malik McDowell, DE/DT from Michigan State?

Honestly, until the season is over they really don’t like to talk about players they’re evaluating. I’m sure they have players already on the board, but that will change with bowl injuries, underclassmen declaring, and then even free agency and years given to players there. We’ll start to get a better handle on this stuff after the players do their season-ending meetings with players on Sunday night and Monday.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 04:11 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Thanks for keeping this particular thread civil and for your patience, since I can’t always get here as regularly as I like - It’s been fun and I’ll for sure continue to do it.

Also, Happy New Year to all of you as well!

Yes, you know the answer – but just because a coach isn’t fired doesn’t mean he isn’t evaluated. With the issues surrounding Bodine for years, now Ogbuehi (and to a lesser extent Fisher) it’s fair to take a hard look and maybe think about changing/improving techniques and styles. But the track record is good and no one said a word about the o-line, really, the last two years (aside from Bodine).

Not sure about that direct correlation, but Mike does think that coaches are teachers and motivators. He does believe in giving them time. If he’s made a coaching change, it’s because he feels the players aren’t being taught properly or players have quit/been lost. He doesn’t feel that’s the case with this current group of coaches.

An NFL-produced dossier? I’m sure there is one, in some fashion, but no, we don’t get access to that. The teams do their own scouting and they’re already on to the freshman who played this year in college, so even if the league itself put something together (which I’m not sure they do) it would be nothing more than a reference point.  

Yes, I have seen it, in the physical sense. I’ve been in the room, and I’ve seen what it looks like.

Honestly, until the season is over they really don’t like to talk about players they’re evaluating. I’m sure they have players already on the board, but that will change with bowl injuries, underclassmen declaring, and then even free agency and years given to players there. We’ll start to get a better handle on this stuff after the players do their season-ending meetings with players on Sunday night and Monday.

NFL Advisory Committee, National Football Scouting, and BLESTO.   Mike Brown has defended the size of the scouting department because he claimed the Bengals get the same information as the other teams. Which is true if you get your information from those three sources because they give the same information to all the teams. 
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 04:11 PM)jowczarski Wrote: 1. Is there any way you (the press), or the fans, have to gain access to the draft prospect projections that the NFL provides to the teams? I would really like to see that some time.

Thanks jim.

As to #1,  I remember reading a quote from Mike Brown years ago in which he referenced a type of dossier that the leauge provided on draft picks. It was brought up while he was defending some bad draft picks by saying that the Bengals picked these guys in the same range as what the dossier had them ranked.  I would love to get these, and if they are still in use they could be another revenue source for the league.  I'm a sucker for draft info.

#2.  Any pictures you could share (doubtful, but worth a shot).  Did you find the Bengals board in line with how the draft fell? Any noteable head scratchers on Bengals rankings that stood out?

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
Genuinely curious.

What's your workload like in the offseason? Decreased? Do you have to find other things to do?
Reply/Quote
In your opinion, does any coach say more fluff without saying a damn thing than Marvin Lewis? How do you sit there and not roll your eyes at crap like, "We have to figure out a way to get better at it...It’s not x’s and o’s"?
Reply/Quote
1)Do you get the feeling that Marv has been doing this for so long that he doesn't take time to reflect of what HE needs to get better at? Over the last five years, I am not sure what he's got better at.

2) Do you think if Marv was in a bigger market, the media would eat him up? His comment about halftime adjustments being "journalist jargon" was unbelievable to hear.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
I have a question/joke for you, Jim. Here goes: Do you think the Bengals will be active in external…… wait….. can't stop laughing…. free agency this offseason? LOL, Sorry. Couldn't help it.
Reply/Quote
Re: draft board - Heh. Condition of visiting – no pictures

You guys are right – there are universal scouting services. I knew that, but forgot – especially since our guy Mike Nyerges made this cool draft video. He also has seen the board so this is the best anyone could give you about how the Bengals do things:

http://www.cincinnati.com/videos/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/04/25/83491154/

What's your workload like in the offseason? Decreased? Do you have to find other things to do?

Obviously it’s not as busy but we’re always working, basically. Think of Adam Jones being arrested literally 35 minutes into the first day of the offseason. We’ll do the podcast every week and have stories sprinkled throughout. Think about it: the NFL owns the calendar. For teams not in the playoffs you’ve got Senior Bowl in January, in February the Super Bowl is something Paul Dehner, Jr. will be at again, then the combine. March is free agency. April is the draft the start of voluntary workouts. Then camps start in May. OTAs and camps in June. The hard part is that we do have to find time for formal vacation and time off. Usually, that comes in July when the CBA mandates football shuts down. And somewhere in there we try to find time for fun assignments like these that really bring you coverage you can’t get anywhere else:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/07/28/andy-dalton-bengals-quarterback-preseason-feature/87616566/

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/04/15/how-an-nfl-player-gets-ready-for-the-season-cincinnati-bengals-kevin-zeitler/83019518/

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/08/15/cincinnati-bengals-dre-kirkpatrick-next-sound-hear-might-guy-exploding/30898459/

Of course, we have lives and families and things we like to do and we try to find time for that too.

does any coach say more fluff without saying a damn thing than Marvin Lewis?

Heh. Some can be more open (i.e. Arians, Jackson) but really, most coaches don’t say anything when it comes to their teams/mistakes/adjustments or games. Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh seems like they say stuff, but they really don’t.

1)Do you get the feeling that Marv has been doing this for so long that he doesn't take time to reflect of what HE needs to get better at? Over the last five years, I am not sure what he's got better at. 

Every coach will tell you they also have to self-evaluate and get better. But, as the above answer hints at – he’s not really going to tell us what he think he needs to get better at. An example of things Lewis did to make his team better was start an overhaul of the nutritional and practice habits of the team – proven by the fact that the last two years the teams have been one of the least injured in the league. On-field improvements? It’s hard to judge a coach like Lewis that way especially because he doesn’t call plays on offense or defense. He has his fingers in everything, but he lets his coaches coach.

2) Do you think if Marv was in a bigger market, the media would eat him up? His comment about halftime adjustments being "journalist jargon" was unbelievable to hear.

We called him out on that on Beyond The Stripes the next day and basically said the same thing, that in-game adjustments are not as prevalent and/or important as “we” would like to think they are. I’m not sure about ‘eat him up.’ John Fox is in Chicago and he hems and haws and doesn’t say anything and is condescending on a regular basis. Bowles is so, so dry. I think McAdoo is, too. But New York treats them the way they do – because over there they have a different way to cover news and sports. In Cincinnati we don’t really drift into such things.

Do you think the Bengals will be active in external…… wait….. can't stop laughing…. free agency this offseason? LOL, Sorry. Couldn't help it.

Well, they “technically” are active every year in free agency – it’s just not sexy because it’s their own free agents. I think they need to find a better veteran linebacker than the two they’ve brought in the last two seasons. So maybe that happens. LaFell count? With 11 draft picks plus guys like Hardison, Billings and Jackson III who have yet to play that could lead to a pretty massive roster turnover.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 07:57 PM)jowczarski Wrote:  Think of Adam Jones being arrested literally 35 minutes into the first day of the offseason.

Early nomination for funniest moment of the 2017 season.

Quote:We called him out on that on Beyond The Stripes the next day and basically said the same thing, that in-game adjustments are not as prevalent and/or important as “we” would like to think they are.

How many points did the Bengals offense score in the 4th quarter this year?

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/12/01/bengals-walkthru-fourth-quarter-mystery/94722954/

Jimbo Fisher has made some really stupid comments in the past (defending stupid player behavior), but he can make some halftime adjustments.

What are your plans for the Senior Bowl and the combine?  Can you give us some insight into who scouts the NFL free agents to target in the off season?  When do they begin that process?  Do they have someone dedicated to evaluate potential FAs during the season?  Or is it something they start after the season ends?  The coaches are just getting into evaluating the draft eligible players.  Are they working on evaluating NFL FAs, also?  Then communicates who they like to the front office?  Or does the front office do the heavy lifting with the NFL FAs?  If the coaches are traveling to college pro days to scout the draft eligible college players, who is in Cincinnati working out the NFL FAs?  Sometimes it seems like there is a disconnect between the coaches and the front office when it comes to free agency.  Thanks.

Any insight on developing anonymous team sources.  IMO, Adam Schefter is good at it.  Is it trust?  Is it network resources ($$$ for the story)?  Combination of both?  Noticed any differences between team's approach to the media.
Reply/Quote
What are your plans for the Senior Bowl and the combine?

I'm your man on the ground in Mobile. So I'll be making the rounds with the front office and coaches, on the record and off. Hopefully run into some agents. Unfortunately since it is just me, I have to pick and choose where I go and who i spend time with. But I'll do the best I can.
Paul and I will both be at the Combine.

Can you give us some insight into who scouts the NFL free agents to target in the off season? When do they begin that process? Do they have someone dedicated to evaluate potential FAs during the season? Or is it something they start after the season ends? The coaches are just getting into evaluating the draft eligible players. Are they working on evaluating NFL FAs, also? Then communicates who they like to the front office? Or does the front office do the heavy lifting with the NFL FAs? If the coaches are traveling to college pro days to scout the draft eligible college players, who is in Cincinnati working out the NFL FAs? Sometimes it seems like there is a disconnect between the coaches and the front office when it comes to free agency.

The short answer is that the Bengals have a small staff. You can see it under their "team" tab on Bengals.com. Basically Duke Tobin and those scouts and other Bengals staff see the college and pro guys. The coaches spend 2 weeks self-evaluating, but are also being fed information on the upcoming draft class. They also get input on the unrestricted / restricted FAs, guys who could be cut, etc. It's a small staff, but one that works well together in handling it all. It sounds like a lot, but with DVD cutups, etc. it actually be parsed down pretty quickly.

When you say disconnect - is there someone you're referring to? They tend to focus on re-signing their own players, then doing plug-and-play type of stuff with guys like Hawk, Gilberry, Dansby, LaFell, etc.

Any insight on developing anonymous team sources. IMO, Adam Schefter is good at it. Is it trust? Is it network resources ($$$ for the story)? Combination of both?

One word on developing relationships: Time. You have to spend it. You have make room for it. Calls. Email. In person meetings. Just talking. Trust is earned over time. I've been fortunate that relationship-building is a skill of mine. I broke A.J. Green's contract extension in front of the national reporters five months into the job. From an airplane. I'll brag on myself a bit because local beat guys rarely get those this day in age. So they're feathers. We lose more than we win in that regard. Some of it is the mechanics of the sport. Agents like to go to the national guys because they can get favors on the back end. But in the end, all you can do is spend time, and hope it pays off.

Noticed any differences between team's approach to the media.

Not from 2015 to '16. Curious what happens in 2017 when longtime PR man Jack Brennan hangs 'em up. Hopefully it stays the same.
Reply/Quote
Jim, 

In his recent interview with Geoff, Marvin talked about players stepping up in terms of leadership, saying:

“Our best players, A.J. Green, Geno Atkins, let’s start with them. Where they are in their NFL careers, they’ve got to help pull forward others. They’ve got to become not only leaders and players by example, but leaders 24/7 throughout the building.

"If that means being more vocal, being more dominant in bringing guys along in practice, whatever it is, being more demanding of how guys prepare and practice so that the standard never wavers. Because they’re the best players in the building. They’re recognized across the league as very good players, so they’ve got to help uplift this building.”

“There’s going to be a changing of the guard. That’s a natural progression that has to begin to occur. You have the Fishers and these young guys who are now going into their third seasons that have to continue to pull forward. All of our guys. Whether it be Burfict or Andy, all these guys that have been recognized _ (Tyler) Eifert _ as good players across the league, they’ve got to pull forward now and step up.”

What is your take on his statements? In your opinion, is there a lack of leadership among the players, or an unwillingness of certain guys to step up and assume those roles?
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 08:34 PM)jowczarski Wrote: When you say disconnect - is there someone you're referring to? They tend to focus on re-signing their own players, then doing plug-and-play type of stuff with guys like Hawk, Gilberry, Dansby, LaFell, etc.  

Two examples:

James Harrison, pass rush phenom who Bengals didn't use to rush the passer, looked like his playing days were over only to have a resurgence back in Pittsburgh where they utilize his strengths.

Antonio Bryant, Bengals sign a FA WR in a very weak FA WR year with a known knee problem, then they made the stupid mistake of allowing him to practice the first day of training camp instead of starting him on the reserve PUP list
Reply/Quote