Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 4.39 Average
Ask Jim Owczarski
Bengals have three young DTs with potential, but not much production so far. How does the team rate these guys

Billings
Hardison
Deshawn Williams

Will Billings and/or Hardison be completely recovered by training camp?

Will it be too confusing for the defensive coaches to have both a Shawn Williams and a Deshawn Williams?
Reply/Quote
Eifert has struggled to stay healthy. I guess that would lead to multiple questions.

1. Is the team sold on Uzomah and Kroft as the backups? If so, which one are they higher on?
2. Are they sold on Eifert long term? As in, will they be pursuing a long term contract with him?
3. Hobson mentioned OJ Howard at #9. Do you really think that's realistic? If so, does it mean Eifert's days are numbered.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Just a reminder that this thread is for posting questions for Jim, and not for general Bengals discussion.  :andy:

I've deleted a few posts that weren't questions. Not a big deal, but let's try to keep the thread on track. It makes it easier to follow along if there aren't extended conversations popping up between the questions and answers.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 02:14 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Just a reminder that this thread is for posting questions for Jim, and not for general Bengals discussion.  :andy:

I've deleted a few posts weren't questions. Not a big deal, but let's try to keep the thread on track. It makes it easier to follow along if there aren't extended conversations popping up between the questions and answers.

Jim,

The draft is getting closer. I keep reading a pass rushing DE or best LB in the draft seem to be the popular pick. I also heard Howard, the TE from Alabama now a possibility. My question is do you think they draft BPA or go with predetermined position group? If so, which is number 1 position group as of now?

Also, I am trying to get a pass to come to PBS the night of day one of the draft. I would love to meet you if you are around that night to discuss the team. Love your contributions to our board and your articles.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
@Shake n Blake - Impossible. I've been told that players don't have emotions and never think like fans do.

Well, yes and no there. Yes, they are relatively dispassionate and don’t care about a lot of the same things fans do (rivalries, specifically) but of course they’re human and like/love some of their teammates like a fan does (but obviously on a personal level).

@wolfkaosaun - who do you believe is their top guy? Barnett, Thomas, or Taco?

Great question. I’m not sure. Just being honest!

@fredtoast - How does the team rate these guys

Billings
Hardison
Deshawn Williams

Will Billings and/or Hardison be completely recovered by training camp?

Will it be too confusing for the defensive coaches to have both a Shawn Williams and a Deshawn Williams?

Easy for me to rank – Billings, Hardison and Williams. Yeah, the two injured guys should be good to go. Ha! It’s more confusing with all the A.J.’s (when Hawk was there) and Tyler’s when we talk to the coaches.

@Shake n Blake
Eifert has struggled to stay healthy. I guess that would lead to multiple questions.

1. Is the team sold on Uzomah and Kroft as the backups? If so, which one are they higher on?
2. Are they sold on Eifert long term? As in, will they be pursuing a long term contract with him?
3. Hobson mentioned OJ Howard at #9. Do you really think that's realistic? If so, does it mean Eifert's days are numbered.

Backups, sure. Higher on? No idea. I mean, if you go strictly by guys running patterns, it’s Uzomah. Neither have proven to be useful on three downs.
In answer to No. 2, I think they were after 2015. Now…I sense some hesitation. Back surgery is scary. I do think they will pursue an extension, but how seriously he (or Eifert – always a two-way street) they go after it remains to be seen.
I guess Howard is realistic if he’s BPA at that spot if the top 8 includes Fournette and all the pass rushers. I don’t think they would shy away from it, but it would probably answer No. 2 for ya if they did.

@Luvnit2 –
The draft is getting closer. I keep reading a pass rushing DE or best LB in the draft seem to be the popular pick. I also heard Howard, the TE from Alabama now a possibility. My question is do you think they draft BPA or go with predetermined position group? If so, which is number 1 position group as of now?

Also, I am trying to get a pass to come to PBS the night of day one of the draft. I would love to meet you if you are around that night to discuss the team. Love your contributions to our board and your articles.

Yes, pass rushing DE is definitely what they want and need but I think that’s because they feel those are the guys that will be there at nine. This team definitely goes BPA. Nothing proved that to me more than my first draft and seeing them go Ogbuehi-Fisher in rounds 1-2. The train of thought is if they have two guys graded the same – the tiebreaker would be immediate need. But no earlier.

I’m definitely around that day, but not sure how/when we can move around. Usually we’re bunkered down in the media room but I appreciate it!
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Back in 2011 I was lucky enough to job shadow Chick Ludwig who used to work for the Enquirer and got to see what it was like in the shoes of a sports journalist for a day working at PBS. (You got a pretty sweet gig by the way!) Chick told me he got called down by Marvin a few times in his office. Just curious...Have you? Cool
Reply/Quote
I seem to be more optimistic about Jeremy Hill than most Bengals fans -- I think he's been playing hurt the past 2 seasons. I'm more concerned about Gio's ACL recovery going into next year. Between that, and Burkhead being gone, I see RB as one of the bigger needs for the Bengals in the draft.

Without regard to whether or not they will be available for the Bengals to pick, which of the top 10 RB draft candidates do you see as the best match for what the Bengals do offensively?
Reply/Quote
The BENGALS will be having their 50th anniversary season coming up, will the team be wearing a special honor patch on the jerseys?
  How about a patch with the 50 in tiger stripes?
Reply/Quote
JimO- what's the worst case scenario playing out at 9?
Such is life as a Bengals fan...
Reply/Quote
@CageTheBengal Chick told me he got called down by Marvin a few times in his office. Just curious...Have you? 

I have not been summoned to the office, but let’s just say Marvin has let me know when he’s not happy.

@MaineBengal which of the top 10 RB draft candidates do you see as the best match for what the Bengals do offensively?

Best match – Joe Mixon, in my opinion. I’d then go with Alvin Kamara. Fournette is deemed a special enough runner that he could maybe offset the pass catching questions.

@Bigcatfan - will the team be wearing a special honor patch on the jerseys?
  How about a patch with the 50 in tiger stripes?

I can’t say for sure, but considering they are doing a special logo – I’d have to think logo-related “items” will be seen.

@skycruiser JimO- what's the worst case scenario playing out at 9?

That’s a good one. Considering I’m mad all the time (h/t #BBP) I like thinking angry.
Worst case for whom? I’m assuming you mean the club as its board might be constructed, as opposed to who fans want.

Worst case requires a couple of things happening:
No QBs are picked
In no particular order, these 8 being pulled off the board: Garrett, Thomas, Barnett, Fournette, Allen, Adams, Lattimore, Howard.

Duke Tobin was pretty clear that when you’re at 9, you get one of the first picks of the “best of rest” – that you usually miss out on the generational talent at 9, that those guys are gone. If all those guys go off the board, I could see the club looking for a trade partner to move down. I’m not sure they value a LB as high as No. 9. Do you value an injury-prone safety at 9 (Hooker)?
Do you value any of those receivers that high – when Mike Williams especially isn’t really the guy you need?
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
So let's presuppose that scenario ("these 8 being pulled off the board: Garrett, Thomas, Barnett, Fournette, Allen, Adams, Lattimore, Howard"), and assume they aren't able to find a trade partner. If they are still at 9 with those 8 off the board, who do they pick? Any chance of Mixon at 9? John Ross?

I think Ross is a great fit for the Bengals across from AJ and Eifert. Obviously the speed, but the kid can run routes and has hands too. He gets knocked for his size but he's about the same frame as Antonio Brown was coming out of college.
Reply/Quote
Jim, explain how you prepare to cover the Bengals' draft. Making the trip to Philly? Flying United Airlines? Staying in Cincy? How much do you study up on the players beforehand? Where do you get your information? Who helps you? Etc.

As an outsider looking in, it seems to me certain times of the year would be busier for you than others. Is that true? And how does draft time stack up to other times during the year? Have you heard any reaction from teams or players about the NFL pushing the draft back a little deeper into April? They like the extra time to prepare? They don't like it because they want to start working with the rookies sooner?

I like draft time so I would imagine this is a pretty cool time of the year for you. Or maybe not, because it pulls you away from family commitments like birthdays or whatever. What's it like for you?
Reply/Quote
@MaineBengal - If they are still at 9 with those 8 off the board, who do they pick? Any chance of Mixon at 9? John Ross?

I think they’d want to move down, but if they were stuck at 9 it wouldn’t be Mixon. They might go Hooker? That’s a tough spot.

@oncemoreuntothejimbreech
explain how you prepare to cover the Bengals' draft. Making the trip to Philly? Flying United Airlines? Staying in Cincy? How much do you study up on the players beforehand? Where do you get your information? Who helps you? Etc. 

We don’t make the trip to the draft site for one big reason: the entire organization (save for the guy that answers the phone in Philly) is at PBS. Coaches, front office, owner, etc. Then they get the players on the phone shortly thereafter, and fly them to Cincy the next day. That’s invaluable time to meet them, their family and agent(s). Now, if the Bengals were in Cleveland’s position this year I would have pressed to go to Philly, only because you’re talking about the No. 1 pick and No. 12 – and those guys would likely be there. I’ve heard that the access to the guys attending the draft is great because they’re not technically NFL or team employees yet.

I prefer to go off team information – guys I hear they’re interested in are the guys I try to pay attention to. Yes, the draft experts are helpful because I cover a pro team, not colleges. I honestly don’t have the time to desire to dive into however many what if scenarios. So it’s a combo of those things.

As an outsider looking in, it seems to me certain times of the year would be busier for you than others. Is that true? And how does draft time stack up to other times during the year? Have you heard any reaction from teams or players about the NFL pushing the draft back a little deeper into April? They like the extra time to prepare? They don't like it because they want to start working with the rookies sooner?

The NFL owns the calendar, so it’s always “busy” I guess. The Bengals were done what, Jan. 3 after locker cleanout? Senior Bowl was later in the month. Combine in Feb. Free agency and owners meetings in March. Schedule and draft in April. Camps May and June. The only true “time off” is the contractually mandated month off from late June to late July … the only real time for a proper vacation. That said, there are slow moments and Paul Dehner Jr. and I work together to give each other some breathing room to work on future features, or just sort of a mental break. For people that cover New England, which always goes until February…man. That’s a grind.

Draft time is light for me, actually. You’ll see me grinding on free agency in March, then PDJ handles the bulk of the work for the draft. That’s where our interests lie. Coaches and front office types often will mention the “older” calendar of the draft before free agency, but I don’t ever get a sense there was a preference. I would imagine the teams always going to the playoffs (like the Bengals did for many years, even for just that one week) the extra time is helpful.

I like draft time so I would imagine this is a pretty cool time of the year for you. Or maybe not, because it pulls you away from family commitments like birthdays or whatever. What's it like for you?

Funny you say that. I’m missing a big family event on Day 3 of the draft. That’s not fun, for sure. But neither is working Christmas Eve. But hey, that’s the gig. That’s where having an awesome family comes in. We all need that support.

I’ve never been a “draft guy” to be honest (if you haven’t figured it out yet ). I get that it’s a big part of the league and the teams, but I prefer to spin it into how these guys are part of the NFL team, how they’re received by the established vets at their positions, etc.
Reply/Quote
Jim, just want to say that I am thankful that you take the time to answer these questions. We know you're busy, but it's pretty awesome to have you here. Keep doing what you're doing! :andy:
Reply/Quote
Jim,
Do you get the opportunity to talk to Dave Latham in the coming days prior to the draft? I have met him many times and he seems to have the pulse on the Bengals FO thoughts more so than anyone I have met. If so, I would love to get his thouhts on how he thinks we target rounds 1 through 3.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 09:48 PM)jowczarski Wrote: @MaineBengal which of the top 10 RB draft candidates do you see as the best match for what the Bengals do offensively?

Best match – Joe Mixon, in my opinion. I’d then go with Alvin Kamara. Fournette is deemed a special enough runner that he could maybe offset the pass catching questions.

Jim, why can't the Bengals save themselves from red flags and crappy personalities/legal troubles?

(04-14-2017, 02:34 AM)MaineBengal Wrote: So let's presuppose that scenario ("these 8 being pulled off the board: Garrett, Thomas, Barnett, Fournette, Allen, Adams, Lattimore, Howard"), and assume they aren't able to find a trade partner. If they are still at 9 with those 8 off the board, who do they pick? Any chance of Mixon at 9? John Ross?

I think Ross is a great fit for the Bengals across from AJ and Eifert. Obviously the speed, but the kid can run routes and has hands too. He gets knocked for his size but he's about the same frame as Antonio Brown was coming out of college.

Just a fun fact, under Marvin Lewis, the Bengals have only drafted 1 WR under 6' and that was Mario Alford in the 7th round of 2015. John Ross is 5'11. Bengals have an absolute love of tall WRs and giant DEs.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
@luvnit2
Do you get the opportunity to talk to Dave Latham in the coming days prior to the draft? I have met him many times and he seems to have the pulse on the Bengals FO thoughts more so than anyone I have met. If so, I would love to get his thouhts on how he thinks we target rounds 1 through 3.

I see Lap every time I’m at PBS. He does, and I think he’s hit the radio circuit here locally the last few days saying its Ross at 9 if he’s there, and maybe a DE if they trade back. I’d venture to say he got that from somewhere.

@TheLeonardLeap
Jim, why can't the Bengals save themselves from red flags and crappy personalities/legal troubles?

Your guess is as good as mine. But Mike has always felt there is good in people, and they can be a team that helps bring that out.

Just a fun fact, under Marvin Lewis, the Bengals have only drafted 1 WR under 6' and that was Mario Alford in the 7th round of 2015. John Ross is 5'11. Bengals have an absolute love of tall WRs and giant DEs.

Yup. Could be a departure this year.
Reply/Quote
Jim how do you feel about the pick, especially considering what players will still on the board and the needs of this team?
Reply/Quote
Sorry for the late reply - saw this was on Thurs. night, so Ross is the question. I've liked the idea of a receiver at 9 for a long time, and I think in the end Corey Davis will prove that he's fast enough -- but he'll never be Ross-fast. And It's special speed. I've said on our podcast and pre-draft videos I love touchdowns and throwing the ball all over the place, so I think if Ken Zampese can work him in right away -- it could really benefit this offense.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 12:16 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Sorry for the late reply - saw this was on Thurs. night, so Ross is the question. I've liked the idea of a receiver at 9 for a long time, and I think in the end Corey Davis will prove that he's fast enough -- but he'll never be Ross-fast. And It's special speed. I've said on our podcast and pre-draft videos I love touchdowns and throwing the ball all over the place, so I think if Ken Zampese can work him in right away -- it could really benefit this offense.

I know Ross wanted to race Bolt....  but billy Hamilton is just a stone throws away... and had a 4.21    Do you think that would be the better race?

As far as the RB Situation..  Top 3 figure to be Hill Mixson and Gio...     Any of the UDFA prospects or returning PS players look to be able to unseat peerman this year?

Does the drafting of Ross, Malone, Wilson mean a potential replacement for Erickson who after he got started was pretty great last season. OR if they cant keep 7 WRs who do you see not making the cut that was with the team last season

Also

Who would be the Arm Wrestling Champion of the Bengals locker room?

5/5 Edit: Billy Hamilton wants to race john ross
Reply/Quote