Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 4.39 Average
Ask Jim Owczarski
I'd have to say if it's a 40, I think Ross wins because 60 feet is only 20 yards, so while I think Billy has that get off I'd be curious if he could blow through until the end. Too bad pro athletes can't have fun anymore. I would love to see a Wide World of Sports day where Billy, Usain and John lined up. Usain would need some real paper for it and then would destroy them dudes, but it would be fun!

As far as the RB Situation.. Top 3 figure to be Hill Mixson and Gio... Any of the UDFA prospects or returning PS players look to be able to unseat peerman this year?

Nah - Peerman is really good at what he does, to be honest. I don't see Tra Carson unseating him.

Does the drafting of Ross, Malone, Wilson mean a potential replacement for Erickson who after he got started was pretty great last season. OR if they cant keep 7 WRs who do you see not making the cut that was with the team last season

Honestly, I think Erickson is on the bubble. I think they keep 6 wideouts again with the 3 QBs, so it'll go Green-LaFell-Boyd-Ross-Core-Malone.
The only thing I can see messing with that is if Erickson is amazing (or Core is awful) and maybe one of the D-linemen prove totally redundant.

Also

Who would be the Arm Wrestling Champion of the Bengals locker room?

Wow. That's a great one. Can I cheat? Can I say Billings/Atkins on D vs. Redmond/Bodine on O.

5/5 Edit: Billy Hamilton wants to race john ross
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Question Jim O.

Do you think there's any chance the Bengals would trade Hill away? I've seen some rumors that the Eagles may be interested in trading for him. But again, rumors are rumors.

Also, with Mixon being signed and Erickson possibly getting cut, do you think they try to use Gio in return situations more often like he was in his final year of college?
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Would you rather fight 5 Gio sized Dunlaps, or 1 Carlos Dunlap sized Gio
Reply/Quote
No, they won't trade Hill. He's the starter, in my opinion, until he plays his way out of it (or Mixon plays his way into it).

As for Gio - nah, you'll see Ross back there on kick return, IMO. Punt return is interesting. I could see Jones seeing more time there since Ross hasn't really done that. Maybe even T Boyd.

That was a question we had once: One Geno sized ducks or 100 duck-sized Genos.

Gio is tough man. I think I might hide out on that one.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
How do you see the Defensive Line battle shaking out (your best guess) with so much depth and youth in the mix? I think that will be the toughest camp battle followed closely by Wide Receiver with Core/Erickson battling or if they decide to keep 7 (doubtful). I don't see Glasgow being on the bubble at DT and Billings is supposed to be a starter. Add in Atkins along with Dunlap, Johnson, Willis, and Lawson (DE/LB) and where does that leave guys like Pat Sims, Will Clarke, Wallace Gilberry, Brandon Thompson, DeShawn Williams, and the Smith guy that we traded for? How many will they keep, and is it possible they try to trade one or two guys to add some O-Lineman before the final cuts? Thanks as always Jim.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
Congrats JimO![Image: DAXfkRcXkAAOSxL.jpg]

[Image: DAXfkRcXkAAOSxL.jpg][Image: DAXfkRcXkAAOSxL.jpg]

https://twitter.com/rjstrickleyjr/status/866344335780007936
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2017, 04:07 PM)MaineBengal Wrote: Congrats JimO![Image: DAXfkRcXkAAOSxL.jpg]

[Image: DAXfkRcXkAAOSxL.jpg][Image: DAXfkRcXkAAOSxL.jpg]

https://twitter.com/rjstrickleyjr/status/866344335780007936

Aye!  Well deserved.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Congratulations on the well deserved award.

Anything on Ced O? Anybody saying anything about him? I realize they're not in pads, but can you tell anything? So much depends on that one guy.

Signed--
On pins and needles
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Congrats Jim ! A job well done
Reply/Quote
Thanks!
@McC: As for Ced - near impossible to say at this point with no pads. Ken Zampese seems to think he and Fisher are doing OK.

@JungleRock85 - Great question. First, move Lawson out of that room and to the LB room.
If it all plays out: Dunlap, Johnson, Atkins, Billings, Glasgow, Hardison, Sims, Willis, Clarke
That's nine. If they go 10, like they did in 2015, you've got competition with Gilberry, C. Smith, D. Williams, B. Thompson.

As for a trade...if they do make one it means all of these guys showed well in preseason games and they can unload them for a future late round pick. They wouldn't be able to get a player back at this juncture.

I think they keep six wideouts as well - which means Erickson is out.

A lot of this, in my opinion, depends on if they keep Driskel as a third QB and if they decide to shorten the LB room for some reason at least at the start.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2017, 10:01 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Thanks!
@McC: As for Ced - near impossible to say at this point with no pads. Ken Zampese seems to think he and Fisher are doing OK.

@JungleRock85 - Great question. First, move Lawson out of that room and to the LB room.
If it all plays out: Dunlap, Johnson, Atkins, Billings, Glasgow, Hardison, Sims, Willis, Clarke
That's nine. If they go 10, like they did in 2015, you've got competition with Gilberry, C. Smith, D. Williams, B. Thompson.

As for a trade...if they do make one it means all of these guys showed well in preseason games and they can unload them for a future late round pick. They wouldn't be able to get a player back at this juncture.  

I think they keep six wideouts as well - which means Erickson is out.

A lot of this, in my opinion, depends on if they keep Driskel as a third QB and if they decide to shorten the LB room for some reason at least at the start.

I'd drop Driskel before dropping Erickson. I'd hate to see Erickson go, he was entertaining last season as returner. 

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2017, 11:13 PM)CINwillWIN Wrote: I'd drop Driskel before dropping Erickson. I'd hate to see Erickson go, he was entertaining last season as returner. 

Yep! Really hard to see Erickson getting the ax.....
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Hey Jim, there is a thread about the Pats and signing Sexy Burkhead. Do you know any of the details about how Rex allegedly didn't return phone calls or texts from the Bengals during the process? Could you comment in the Rex/Pats thread.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Reply/Quote
Congrats on all the awards Jim!!?
1.)Could we keep an extra defensive back over LB this season?  I only ask this because Geoff Hobson is reporting that both SS Williams and feljadelm(#42) are both taking LBer snaps in OTAS.
2.) Who has the early edge in the race for the Nickle DT role between Hardison, Williams, and Gillberry?
3.) Who is better Lebron or Jordan?
4.) I know you covered Xavier for only a week in the tourney but were you surprised that both Mack didn't get a head coaching job some where else and Blueitt came back for his senior year?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Ya, the more I think about it - and the more I hear - I think they'll try to get 7 wideouts on (Erickson being the last)

Which of course means shortening up elsewhere (and I don't think it'll be at QB)

1.)Could we keep an extra defensive back over LB this season? I only ask this because Geoff Hobson is reporting that both SS Williams and feljadelm(#42) are both taking LBer snaps in OTAS.

Yeah, Paulie G is just dropping those guys down a bit to experiment with some packages. We see that type of thing often. I think if they go short at LB it's because of the aforementioned seven wideouts.

2.) Who has the early edge in the race for the Nickle DT role between Hardison, Williams, and Gillberry?

Eh - impossible to tell at this point with no pad work or no hands, to be honest. It sounds like a cop out, but it's honestly true.

3.) Who is better Lebron or Jordan?

Jordan. Couldn't type it fast enough.

4.) I know you covered Xavier for only a week in the tourney but were you surprised that both Mack didn't get a head coaching job some where else and Blueitt came back for his senior year?

Look at you reading the stuff! My guy! I wasn't surprised by Blueitt. I covered the NBA for a few years (and was / am a long long time fan) and there was NO way that dude could play in the league after last year. No way he would get drafted. Just a good college player who can make a good living in Europe. The drug thing might have helped turn his mind back to XU.

As for Mack - hard to say. I didn't know him very well, but from what I did learn from him in that very short period (and even talking to others) I do think he really loves XU and the area. Not saying he should go for every job or he won't eventually leave, but I think he believes he can win a national title there, or at least get to the Final Four (at which point you're good enough to win a title).

Re: Burkhead. OK.
Reply/Quote
Saw the Bengals posted pics from Duke Tobin's Town Hall Meeting. Were you there? Anything to report. Thanks, Jim.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Jim,

Thank you for the great job you do and for taking the time to interact with us on this MB. I am duly impressed by both your insight, and your connection with your community....and I don't throw around the term impressed lightly. We appreciate you! Thanks again.
Reply/Quote
@Shady - we were not invited, so, unfortunately, nothing I can add to that.
@Beaker - thank you! Try every day!
Reply/Quote
Hello Jim, do you think Mixon will be the starter by mid season?
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Hey Jim, since you have better access to players, coaches and so on what would be the odds of getting the players and coaches as a group to do a regular ranking of the so called pundits who are forever issuing their own rankings of teams, players and coaches. In other words, turn the game around on them to see what the people who actually are involved in the game think about the people who get to write their nonsense day in, day out. 
Of course I'm not saying that you personally write nonsense, but I'm pretty sure you know what I'm getting at here, pundits who seem to think the sun rises and falls on the Squeelers no matter what and who would probably rather have a battery acid enema than say good things about the Bengals  .. 
I have a hunch that many of the writers and broadcasters would not exactly get shining reviews from most of the players and teams..
Whadaya think?  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote