Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 4.39 Average
Ask Jim Owczarski
Is Randy Bullock still suffering from the injury that kept him out a few weeks ago. Seems like he’s missed a kick each game since then. Is that a factor or has he just been off?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
@Mallorian69 - I have just read where Jerry Jones is threatening a lawsuit over the Goodell contract situation. Has Mike Brown made any statements on where he stands in reguards to a possible lawsuit in particular and the contract extension in general?

Nope. Mike only speaks twice a year. I know the front office, generally speaking, feels the Bengals players (i.e. Burfict) are unnecessarily targeted for harsh penalties, but I’m not sure where he stands on the commish.

@sonofstat - Wondered if you can give any insight into the assistant /position coaches?

What sort of characters are they, some more vocal than others? We've had a few good ones pass through and go into HC positions...anyone on the current staff stand out and maybe you can see progress further?

They’re all very similar to Marvin in a way – quiet, loud when needed. Jacob Burney is probably the one exception. He’s pretty into it and isn’t afraid to yell. I mean, you see them coaching because they have to be more hands-on than the coordinators or Lewis, but they’re not firebrands.
Here’s the story I did on those with a future:
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/08/13/whos-next-marvin-lewis-cincinnati-bengals-coaching-tree/560193001/

@PhilHos - are there any college coaches that the Front office have their eye on? Any of note that YOU think would be ideal replacements for Lewis and/or that Brown might consider?

I don’t think so. In my opinion, the front office would want an NFL guy with that experience (not necessarily head coach experience, but pro experience). Honestly, I think an “ideal” HC has an offensive background, if not a play-caller (I don’t think that’s necessary). But I like Marvin’s approach of letting his coordinators do just that. It’s actually Tomlin’s approach, too. But considering that coach would walk into a room where the core has played hard for Marvin for 6-8 years, you need a guy those vets will connect with. McVay & Shanahan proved that can happen with a young guy, but I do think you have to be careful (Shula, McDaniels are proof the other way).

@jfkbengals - Are Westerman and Redmon that bad that they are not being given the chance on a poor offensive line?

They must be, to be honest. Especially Westerman. Redmond at least made the roster off the practice squad a year ago and played in a game. So there have been steps in that development you can see.

@leonardfan40 - Is Randy Bullock still suffering from the injury that kept him out a few weeks ago. Seems like he’s missed a kick each game since then. Is that a factor or has he just been off?

Late response here, but considering he’s been back to relatively solid since – the easy answer is yes. But of course they weren’t going to say he was hurt or affected by it.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Jim, I'm curious as to what kind of comments or questions you get from your colleagues regarding the bengals, especially the ownership and coaching. Not asking you to reveals names or anything, just wondering what the perception is out there from people who cover other teams.
Reply/Quote
We keep seeing many of the board pundits proclaiming that no good coach would EVER come to Cincinnati to be head coach for the Bengals. They say there is no way anyone with any talent would ever work for Mike Brown especially since the team situation is so lousy. I happen to disagree. Looking at the list of potential and current openings, I think the Bengals job might be one of the top jobs.
Would love to hear your thoughts on this subject

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 12:54 PM)pally Wrote: We keep seeing many of the board pundits proclaiming that no good coach would EVER come to Cincinnati to be head coach for the Bengals.  They say there is no way anyone with any talent would ever work for Mike Brown especially since the team situation is so lousy.  I happen to disagree.  Looking at the list of potential and current openings, I think the Bengals job might be one of the top jobs.  
Would love to hear your thoughts on this subject

I'd also like to hear an answer to this question. I'd be surprised if assistant coaches or college coaches would really be that picky and there has to be some out there that see some real potential here. On the other hand, this is an organization that has that reputation of not giving coaches much power, at least not right away. Would that keep some potential candidates at bay Jim?

Reply/Quote
Jim how are we gonna survive the rest of the season without Minty @ LB?
Reply/Quote
The next coach--Bengal lifer or outside hire?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Jim - Can the Bengals still trade McCarron in the offseason?
Reply/Quote
@BenZoo2 – from others in the media? Honestly, most are envious of our situations as beat guys. Mike Brown and the family, and Marvin, are old school, pro-media. Marvin firmly believes in letting his coordinators and position coaches speak to the media. He thinks it helps them. I can tell you most other teams wall off their coaches and coordinators, fearful of … who knows what.

Some are surprised the fan base hates Marvin and Andy so much. Seriously. Yes, the last two years have been bad, but they look at 2011 and on and see success not many other teams around the country experience. So they wonder about that at times.

As for the owner and coaching staff – there’s a heavy respect level for Marvin, for sure. I’m not sure there is an opinion about the Brown family. The older generation of writers know Mike a bit better from his days as a true talk-every-day GM but for the most part there’s, again, a respect level for keeping the continuity of the head coach and players, spending money (look it up) and retaining talent.

I’m sure that will be a little surprising to hear.

@Pally – Ha. No good coach? Marvin Lewis was a pretty good coach. So were all his coordinators and position coaches that came. Same with Sam Wyche. He was pretty good. I’ll debate on Forrest Gregg but he obviously worked here. Why is the “team situation” so lousy? What does that mean? I do agree that this job is very attractive. I did write that some candidates will not consider it because they will view themselves as having “better” options. What does that mean? It means that yes, this situation is unique. You will have a small-ish staff (but not the smallest; New England and Pittsburgh are a couple guys shorter). You will be expected to scout your future draft picks (But I had one coach tell me that ability and control alone is worth a million dollars of salary) and yes, you will have to talk to the owner of the team every day. But Mike loves football and he loves his team. I imagine there are worse things to have to do than talk to your boss before meetings. But, some may not like that. The Bengals are going to hire a coach they feel can get them back to the playoffs in 2018 and beyond. I really doubt that whoever it is, the majority of the fan base will celebrate and rally behind.

@BoomerFan – It is one of 32. That’s why Hue Jackson isn’t the head coach in waiting right now and why he jumped to Cleveland two years ago. These guys can’t help it. Yeah, maybe McDaniels is being picky. He can be. He’s been fired once already, he has no current job security issues. But MOST of these guys will jump at the chance to be head coach of this club.

@XenoMorph – Minter wasn’t as good as I thought he’d be, but hey, that happens. Maybe the Bengals saved themselves some money by him turning down a multi-year offer to gamble on himself. Really good dude. Great locker room guy. Honestly – bringing him back to back up in the middle is not a terrible idea if he fits what a new coach wants schematically.

@McC – a huge misconception. The Bengals, when not replacing a coach in-season due to a firing (Shula/Coslet) or a resignation (Coslet/LeBeau) have usually hired from the outside. Tiger Johnson was an internal promotion, but Bill Walsh would have been too. Homer Rice was an outside hire. Forrest Gregg was an outside hire. Sam Wyche was an outside hire. Marvin was an outside hire. Not sure why people think like this.

@ZWP – that has to be determined. His grievance is expected to be determined just before free agency in March. If he loses, he is an unrestricted free agent and yes, he’ll be traded. If he wins and is an unrestricted free agent, well, then he walks and the team will get a comp pick higher than the fifth round they drafted him in.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Jim,

Is your podcast available on iHeartRadio?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Okay now the most important question...

What will Beer Prices at the stadium be next year?
Reply/Quote
The Brown family clearly hates the fans. Why do they have such disdain for us?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Doesn't this feel like a movie? A horror movie that is? If ML is truly back, what is there to be excited about for 2018-2019?
Reply/Quote
As someone labeled by Marvin Lewis as not a "real fan" (who was 6 months old the last time the Bengals won a playoff game), how in the world can Mike Brown/The Bengals legitimately expect anyone to support this team if Marvin is back?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I just want to know why. Why is Lewis coming back? What LEGITIMATE reason is there for sticking with what CLEARLY hasn't worked in over a decade and a hand?

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Jim, what did we do to deserve this? I couldn’t help being born near Cincy and into a Bengals family. Why do bad things happen to good people?
Reply/Quote
This is going to be good....I’m in the same boat. An old guy born into a Bengals family. Lived in the area my entire life & currently wondering what we did to deserve this. Will the poor ownership tendicies continue as long as Mike still runs the show. Will Katie be any better? How much longer will the diehard fan base continue to suppport this?
Reply/Quote
As always, my apologies for late responses. Hectic last weeks here, and of course the holidays.

@PhilHos – no, we are no on the radio. But you can get us on iTunes, audioboom and through our Bengals app, which is free.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/09/09/download-cincinnati-bengals-football-app/71932252/

As for why he’s back, hopefully someone from ownership will be available to us to say why.

@XenoMorph – re: Beer … no idea?

@McC – I don’t think they hate fans or have a disdain…I’m just not sure they care that much. They will tell you they care about winning, and if they win, you will care about them.

@Takedown – Like one of those weird kid stop-motion horror movies? :-D
As for being excited…well, you watch the players play and not the coaches. So there is talent there that can get this team to the playoffs. New Orleans and Minnesota upgraded their offensive lines in one offseason, so it can be done.

@TheLeonardLeap – I think (and that’s all I can go on until we hear from ownership) is that they believe Marvin will lead them to the playoffs, which in turn will lead fans back into PBS. That’s my best guess.

@leonardfan40 – Curse of Bo?

@masonbengalsfan – This, I believe, was Mike’s decision. Until he’s not the one making such decisions…we won’t know how it’s run or looked at differently.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 11:53 PM)jowczarski Wrote: @rfaulk34 - Follow up question. How much could the 'hasn't lost the locker room' be, that players know they're entrenched on this team. It takes an awful lot for a guy to get benched or released, in most cases.

If you have such a good situation, why rock the boat (as far as how you interact with the coach) and end up jeopardizing your career?

I do believe Adam Jones when he said Lewis saved his life. I do believe Burfict when he says he owes his career to Lewis (undrafted FA, Bengals ONLY team to call him). After that, I don’t know … I think all that other stuff that happens with them on or off the field is part of the package. As for the loyalty factor, that is legitimate. Look at the Hill situation. Plays 8 snaps a game but is still the starter. Peko and Maualuga played more than they should have, probably. Clearly Lewis feels he gets more out of them doing that than the other way.

But anyone with a bit of self-awareness has to see just how poor of an NFL coach he is.

Actually, in NFL circles, Lewis is very well respected. And I can tell you – in previewing the Buffalo game, those people couldn’t believe Lewis would be hated here. They haven’t been to the playoffs since 1999 and have had 10 head coaches since then. And I’m sure we’ll hear the same from Chicago people (no playoffs and one season with a winning record since 2010). And of course Cleveland fans think every fan in Cincinnati is insane. So, it’s all about perspective.
If/when Lewis moves on from Cincinnati, he’ll easily find a job with the league, or another team doing something. Head coaching? Maybe. Hard to say on that one. But he likes doing it.

Wouldn't you like doing something you get paid ridiculous amounts of money to do, despite being decidedly mediocre and unable to win in any really meaningful way?

The only thing you have to do is keep your head buried in the sand (not read or listen to ANY media) and hope that some day...possibly decades in the future if you're able to stay around that long...you will finally win that single, elusive playoff game by sheer luck and the law of large numbers, without ever doing anything different--without being capable of realizing you're not capable. 

I've never wished i could be another man, but i'd give years off the end of my life if i could be you for 1 hour during a press conference so i could ask those idiots how they can be so clueless to their ineptness over the span of 15 and 26 years respectively. Or, at least, tell them to finally stop blowing smoke up fan's asses and just say "we don't give a shit what fans think. we will do it our way regardless". 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Heh Jim. Do we need a GM? It seems Mike likes to concede some GM duties to Marvin, but that hierarchy seems conflicted. I mean, Marvin wasnt going to form a search committee for a new coach like a GM would. Just seems at times there is GOOD REASON to have a GM. I realize Mike seems to think they are overrated, but during so called crucial times, there might be good reason to have someone with that responsibility performing those duties.
Reply/Quote