Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 4.39 Average
Ask Jim Owczarski
(06-27-2015, 12:16 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: A good example of Dalton's abilities is the NO game last year. He really threw some dimes on long and intermediate throws in that game. He's actually had lots of games like that through his career.

It's just that he can look like a totally different QB from week to week. Inconsistent mechanics is the problem, imo. It also seems like he panics when things don't go according to plan. As in when receivers aren't getting open, or when he's pressured.

Nailed it.  He really reminds me of Boomer in some ways.   Boomer had the better arm, and I thought the tougher mentality between the two.  But it took him years to get his consistency up and his balls down.

I'm hoping that Dalton does this too.  My concern is his apparent tendency to panic and his poor pocket awareness.  Ironically from what I'm reading Dalton has a better arm than McCarron, but seems to have better pocket awareness and functions well under pressure.  

I am very much looking forward to both quarterbacks' evolution - and hoping one of them steps up to a pro-bowl level.   They'll have a pretty good team to lead.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2015, 03:51 PM)3wt Wrote: Nailed it.  He really reminds me of Boomer in some ways.   Boomer had the better arm, and I thought the tougher mentality between the two.  But it took him years to get his consistency up and his balls down.

Boomer hit puberty late? 

Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 11:42 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Boomer hit puberty late? 

Ninja

As soon as I hit the post reply button I thought... 
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 02:55 PM)3wt Wrote: As soon as I hit the post reply button I thought... 

ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Jim, what are your thoughts on the idea that Geoff Hobson brought up, about the Bengals needing additional help at WR?

I've always thought it would be good idea, and beneficial, to have a seasoned vet in what is otherwise a very young group.
Reply/Quote
When do you believe that Ugbuehi will see his first game action? Will it be in 2015 or next year?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I know it's hard to tell without pads, but how did Dawson look?   I heard some good things about Hawk - but not a peep about Dawson.   Are they disappointed with him or is there anything they (or you) see that they/ you like?

I've been nervous about both him and Kroft.  The Bengals are usually effusive if they see anything good about their rookies.
Reply/Quote
Jim,

This year's schedule gives the Bengals a chance to exorcise some demons.

During the regular season, the Bengals are going to play 6 of the last 8 teams that handed them playoff losses dating back to their last SB.

This would be the Raiders, who happened to give the Bengals the first of their current playoff losing streak, the Bo Jackson game. On top of that, the Bengals have never won in Oakland.

Then there's the 49ers, a team which handed the Bengals both their SB losses. In addition, the Bengals' lowest win total versus any opponent happens to the 49ers, a team the Bengals have only beaten 3 times in their history.

The remain teams are Houston (consecutive playoff losses), Pittsburgh and San Diego.

The other two teams from the last 8 playoff losses are the Jets and Colts, teams the Bengals could see this postseason.

I'm not superstitious, but erasing an 0 for in Oakland to start the year off, laying the wood to the 49ers, Houston and San Diego wouldn't hurt the team's confidence. Any win against the Steelers is a good win, as usual.

Reply/Quote
Thanks all – and glad I could work the link in that Walkthrough!

Ok – a few things here:

A quick look back on Dalton deep ball consistency – he’s been up and down the last four years. In 2011 he completed 43 percent of his passes of 20+ yards. He’s never hit that level again, and has fluctuated (26-35-27) the last three. To me, he’s shown he CAN do it. After setting a career high in completion percentage last year, even with a horrific percentage of completed deep balls, I would think he bounces back in that area in year two of Hue’s system.

My concern is his apparent tendency to panic and his poor pocket awareness. Ironically from what I'm reading Dalton has a better arm than McCarron, but seems to have better pocket awareness and functions well under pressure.

It’s impossible to know what McCarron is good or bad at – he’s never even played in a pretend professional game yet.

As another question, what is/are the Bengals medical staff doing to address the fact that since 2012 the Bengals have had the most concussions (26) in the league?

Not sure what you can do about that, other than emphasize better tackling techniques. And yes, you can emphasize it and teach it. Up to the guys to put it into practice.

jim, are the bengals training facilities on par with green bays?

From the parts we were allowed to see in GB, simply, no, due largely to the fact that the Don Hutson Center is a huge indoor facility that the team can utilize in any weather situation. The Bengals did upgrade the weight room and added a small indoor field turf area, which some of the players have raved about (you can see this area in a lot of the Instagrams the guys send out) and I know the Packers have an indoor area as well, but we were never allowed to see it. The Packers locker room is larger, but not the locker space, which is all that matters, really. Ray Nitschke Field is outdoor and has Field Turf, along with permanent bleacher seating for training camp. It’s the only outdoor field the team has, whereas the Bengals have three grass fields. I imagine the new player cafeteria inside PBS will be done when camp opens, but from the early construction we saw it looked very spacious and totally modern.

the Bengals needing additional help at WR?

This was a perceived need heading into the draft, but clearly the team feels that Marvin Jones’ 2013 campaign was not a fluke and that he’ll step right back into that type of production. They gave Denarius Moore a shot, and are trying out McCalebb over there, but those aren’t real solutions to be honest. I can see the concerns over banking on Jones being that level of player, and Sanu getting over his issues late last year, but they like this group. Would this preclude them from sniffing around a veteran who is a surprise cut that Hue is familiar with? No. But those top three guys are healthy, so they’re going to roll with them and presumably, they feel they can extend Green and perhaps one or both of the other two. But with the way rookie receivers are impacting the league, it wouldn’t be a stretch to see them look for wideout in the first round next year, considering they’ve stockpiled the depth chart with young guys in the trenches, the linebacking corps and the defensive backfield.

When do you believe that Ugbuehi will see his first game action? Will it be in 2015 or next year?

Good question. Everyone got all excited because Ogbuehi posted an Instagram of him cutting and moving laterally. That is exciting to see, but he’s also just seven months into his rehab. He won’t be the same guy until he hits that year period, to be honest. But, they probably won’t have to PUP him if there isn’t a setback. I could see him being inactive early on, provided there are no injuries to the starters in camp, just to play it safe. As for playing time – he’s the No. 1 pick, but he’s behind Fisher already in terms of development in the system. Provided health across the line, I can see him getting worked into jumbo packages as he learns.

I know it's hard to tell without pads, but how did Dawson look? I heard some good things about Hawk - but not a peep about Dawson. Are they disappointed with him or is there anything they (or you) see that they/ you like?

I've been nervous about both him and Kroft. The Bengals are usually effusive if they see anything good about their rookies.

It is really, really hard to tell anything about contact positions in the camps. All I can say is Dawson is out there. He showed his ability to drop back into coverage and move laterally, but honestly, there’s not much else a linebacker can do. And if he’s in the wrong spot – it’s hard to tell because frankly once the ball is handed off, everyone kind of slows up anyway. We’ll know quickly once the pads are on though.

As for Kroft – dude can move. All three of the tight ends can, to be honest. You see that athleticism. But the rookies definitely struggled at times getting out of the three-point stance into a route, and then holding on to the ball. Chalk it up to nerves, to learning, etc. These guys may be able to play, but right now, Eifert has to stay healthy.

This year’s schedule gives the Bengals a chance to exorcise some demons.
I love stuff like this, but in reality this current team has no idea about anything other, really, than what they’ve done. I mean, they know the generalities – no playoff wins since the 80s, etc. etc. but when it comes to individuals, they won’t know until we bring it up to them. Or, sometimes coaches do say something – Mike McCarthy loved reminding his team that the Lions never win in Lambeau. It’s weird. They care, but not really. I think it’s one of those things where you look for an edge, for a chip to put on the shoulder, for something extra. And sometimes things like this just add that little bit.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Thanks Jim. Great stuff!

I really enjoy reading your articles, and your posts on here are very informative as well.

I like the idea of them going the inactive route with Cedric, instead of PUP...assuming no setbacks of course.
Reply/Quote
If the decision to keep 10 D-linemen or 10 CBs comes down to talent instead of position who is the most valuable? Our number 10 D-linman or our number 10 DB?
Reply/Quote
Thanks Jim, your comments are honest and refreshing.

I love the fact you have been around a great franchise in Green Bay, we can only hope the Bengals FO continues the recent trends. We will never be Green Bay, but no reason we can't be Pittsburg, Baltimore or almost any other franchise.

I know a lot of fans were excited with the addition of Moore, you seem lukewarm on him at best. Why?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 03:36 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Thanks Jim, your comments are honest and refreshing.

I love the fact you have been around a great franchise in Green Bay, we can only hope the Bengals FO continues the recent trends. We will never be Green Bay, but no reason we can't be Pittsburg, Baltimore or almost any other franchise.

I know a lot of fans were excited with the addition of Moore, you seem lukewarm on him at best. Why?

I have the same question. I considered Moore to have a shot at the #4 WR spot for us and an upgrade over Tate, who had 4 starts but only 193 yards last year. If Wright plays well Moore could be a #5 guy.

Reply/Quote
Is there a feeling of what position the Bengals are the thinnest at and which one they are very deep at?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 03:36 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Thanks Jim, your comments are honest and refreshing.

(07-12-2015, 10:50 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I have the same question. I considered Moore to have a shot at the #4 WR spot for us and an upgrade over Tate, who had 4 starts but only 193 yards last year. If Wright plays well Moore could be a #5 guy.

Same, i really liked the Moore signing. He has good speed and can take the top off of Defenses and he has done it at the pro level.
Reply/Quote
Jim: With the signings of Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas, in addition to rumors of an imminent deal with Julio Jones, do you think it's possible that the Bengals will lock up AJ Green this year?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2015, 12:16 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: A good example of Dalton's abilities is the NO game last year. He really threw some dimes on long and intermediate throws in that game. He's actually had lots of games like that through his career.

It's just that he can look like a totally different QB from week to week. Inconsistent mechanics is the problem, imo. It also seems like he panics when things don't go according to plan. As in when receivers aren't getting open, or when he's pressured.

This is exactly how I feel as well. I have never seen a QB play nearly perfect one game then like a 3rd string rookie the next like Dalton has. He has the tangibles, it's the intangibles that concern me.
Reply/Quote
Hey all - with camp about to start up, I'll probably be a little MIA for a bit until we get into a groove - but feel free to continue to post questions and I'll get it for sure and I'll pop in when I can. So until then, here's some thoughts on what y'all have left for me since the last run through:

If the decision to keep 10 D-linemen or 10 CBs comes down to talent instead of position who is the most valuable? Our number 10 D-linman or our number 10 DB?

To me talent always wins out - especially at the back end of the roster when special teams comes into play. Those are the two areas where you can say, going into camp, they are the deepest with the most talent. Leon Hall took a few snaps at safety in OTAs, so it will be curious to see if he spends more time there in camp. If he becomes some sort of swing DB in that regard, that may allow for an additional roster spot at another position. The back end of those cuts will be interesting considering they drafted a corner and a defensive lineman, and those two rookies won't be cut.

My feelings on Denarius Moore

Yes, he's proven something at the NFL level, but he also had every opportunity to establish himself as THE guy in Oakland and literally dropped the ball and it led to his dismissal. Who knows, maybe he's not cut out for that kind of pressure. Sometimes, being a third or fourth option is the best role for a guy - but until I see it, I guess I'm taking the wait-and-see approach with how good he is, or can be, in this offense. He's got talent, and for sure could be a weapon. But we'll just have to see.

Is there a feeling of what position the Bengals are the thinnest at and which one they are very deep at?

At first blush, I'm most concerned with the tight end group, and then the linebacking corps - only because of some of the health and experience issues there. As for depth, I feel they're pretty set elsewhere at least with returning starters and promising backups. I think everyone would like to see Marvin Jones be the same as he was in '13 and for Sanu to take a step forward, too, but I think they think they're good there.

With the signings of Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas, in addition to rumors of an imminent deal with Julio Jones, do you think it's possible that the Bengals will lock up AJ Green this year?

The million dollar question. Or, the $80 million question. I think both sides want to get something done. But the Bengals want to get AJ at their number. Green, of course, wants his. I don't think the two numbers will be that far apart, but I could see it stretching to next year when they have to franchise him and he's the one "on the clock" running up to the mid-July deadline for an extension. A lot of times, such deadlines make things happen. Neither have that pressure between now and Week 1. But they are talking, and will continue to do so to that point at the very least.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2015, 11:45 AM)jowczarski Wrote: Hey all - with camp about to start up, I'll probably be a little MIA for a bit until we get into a groove - but feel free to continue to post questions and I'll get it for sure and I'll pop in when I can. So until then, here's some thoughts on what y'all have left for me since the last run through:

To me talent always wins out - especially at the back end of the roster when special teams comes into play. Those are the two areas where you can say, going into camp, they are the deepest with the most talent. Leon Hall took a few snaps at safety in OTAs, so it will be curious to see if he spends more time there in camp. If he becomes some sort of swing DB in that regard, that may allow for an additional roster spot at another position. The back end of those cuts will be interesting considering they drafted a corner and a defensive lineman, and those two rookies won't be cut.

My feelings on Denarius Moore

Yes, he's proven something at the NFL level, but he also had every opportunity to establish himself as THE guy in Oakland and literally dropped the ball and it led to his dismissal. Who knows, maybe he's not cut out for that kind of pressure. Sometimes, being a third or fourth option is the best role for a guy - but until I see it, I guess I'm taking the wait-and-see approach with how good he is, or can be, in this offense. He's got talent, and for sure could be a weapon. But we'll just have to see.

At first blush, I'm most concerned with the tight end group, and then the linebacking corps - only because of some of the health and experience issues there. As for depth, I feel they're pretty set elsewhere at least with returning starters and promising backups. I think everyone would like to see Marvin Jones be the same as he was in '13 and for Sanu to take a step forward, too, but I think they think they're good there.

With the signings of Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas, in addition to rumors of an imminent deal with Julio Jones, do you think it's possible that the Bengals will lock up AJ Green this year?

The million dollar question. Or, the $80 million question. I think both sides want to get something done. But the Bengals want to get AJ at their number. Green, of course, wants his. I don't think the two numbers will be that far apart, but I could see it stretching to next year when they have to franchise him and he's the one "on the clock" running up to the mid-July deadline for an extension. A lot of times, such deadlines make things happen. Neither have that pressure between now and Week 1. But they are talking, and will continue to do so to that point at the very least.

Thanks for the update!
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2015, 11:45 AM)jowczarski Wrote: My feelings on Denarius Moore

I liked the Moore signing, mainly because I was advocating for any type of experienced addition to the WR corps. Moore definitely has the talent, but as you fairly stated, it's hard to know exactly what role he might be best suited for...given his up and down career so far.

I'm hoping that, at the very least...he can provide an occasional deep threat while manning the #4 spot. 
Reply/Quote