Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 4.39 Average
Ask Jim Owczarski
Do you think Tyler Kroft can be a #1 TE on a constently base?

Or will you be looking to draft a Tight End to insure the replacement of Tyler Eifert? Or you go all the way with the big money to keep Eifert in Cincy?
[Image: aj_green_by_augizt-d46yv55.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2018, 11:46 AM)Wyche Wrote: .....and it will continue to be their downfall/achilles heel.  It's stupid.

If Kyle Cook's last deal was any indication, it definitely will be.
Kyle Cook - 4-year, $14 mill. Average $3.5 mill a year.
At the time, it averaged about 3% of the total salary cap.
Against the 2018 salary cap ($178 mill), that'd be about $5.34 mill a year average.
That would be lower than the top 13 paid centers in the league.

Is there a good outside FA that would take $5.34 mill a year or less to play for the Bengals?
If so, I'd be surprised.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hey Jim, which LB in the upcoming draft do you think is the best fit for the Bengals?
And could you explain your reasoning for why?

I think Smith would be best from a pure talent standpoint, but I get concerns over him being undersized to play MIKE and might have to play WILL while Burfict moves to MIKE.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Hey Jim,

With Glenn in the fold what happens now with Ogbuehi and Fisher? Can either slide over and play G? Can either take over the RT spot? Give us an idea as to what happens with the OL now please?

And what would your guess be now as to what the game plan is with pick 21? Any chance we target a C there?

Thanks you Jim!
Reply/Quote
Sorry for the delay. I took some time off before free agency, and it's been a bit busy!

Do you think Tyler Kroft can be a #1 TE on a constently base?

Or will you be looking to draft a Tight End to insure the replacement of Tyler Eifert? Or you go all the way with the big money to keep Eifert in Cincy?

I don’t think Kroft is that type of consistent playmaker. He’s a solid second tight end. Will they draft one? I think it depends how free agency shakes out, and of course how they view available prospects on their board. Sorry – not a great answer, but it’s hard to have one at this point.

Is there a good outside FA that would take $5.34 mill a year or less to play for the Bengals?

Probably not. It would have to be a rookie filling that role.

Which LB in the upcoming draft do you think is the best fit for the Bengals?
And could you explain your reasoning for why?

I’ll be 100 percent honest (as I always am): No idea. My focus, really, from Jan. – March is free agency. What I can tell you is this – if the team picks a linebacker, look in rounds 4-5.

With Glenn in the fold what happens now with Ogbuehi and Fisher? Can either slide over and play G? Can either take over the RT spot? Give us an idea as to what happens with the OL now please?

And what would your guess be now as to what the game plan is with pick 21? Any chance we target a C there?

To me, Ogbuehi is the backup left tackle. I think Fisher is competing with Bobby Hart to play right tackle. As for guard, I think they want to give Westerman and Redmond the chance to beat out Hopkins. I know Ogbuehi played right guard for a year at A&M but no idea if they feel he can go there. As for a center at 21 – if they don’t re-sign Bodine, then I think that’s in play for sure. They’ll need a plug-and-play guy because if Hart or Fisher establish themselves, that guy is getting paid starting tackle money in 2019 and you’ll need someone along the line making a rookie salary.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Hey, Jim.

Has there been any word of a team other than the Bengals showing interest in Bodine? Sometimes (oftentimes even), I get that we as fans underrate players that are better than they look to the untrained eye or on paper. Peko last year may be a good example. It's kind of odd to me that no other teams seem to want a guy like Bodine, since our coaches and organization seem to hold him in such high esteem.

Is it possible that he actually sucks as bad a we fans think he does?
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 10:08 AM)samhain Wrote: Hey, Jim.  

Has there been any word of a team other than the Bengals showing interest in Bodine?  Sometimes (oftentimes even), I get that we as fans underrate players that are better than they look to the untrained eye or on paper.  Peko last year may be a good example.  It's kind of odd to me that no other teams seem to want a guy like Bodine, since our coaches and organization seem to hold him in such high esteem.

Is it possible that he actually sucks as bad a we fans think he does?

They did. They offered him a contract, but it was on their terms. They then moved on when Bodine determined he could do better on the open market. No one will ever speak about an offer that wasn't accepted.

As for "sucking like we think he does:"

Here's the thing: he's an average center, when he's at his best. He has some strengths, has weaknesses. Is average awesome? No. It's average. It means he'll look good sometimes and terrible other times. In baseball terms, he's replacement level. The thing he's really good at is being available. No other member of the offense can say they started all 66 games in 4 years. Fans were killing me on Twitter for stating that fact, yet those same fans call Eifert, Burfict and Ross out for missing games.

I do think he overvalued himself. I think he felt he was in line for a major payday, but the film didn't lie - it was average at best, below average many times. It didn't look great. But he's been the same guy as Mike Pouncey for the last two years. It's just that Pouncey went some Pro Bowls years ago, so he gets $15 million. One could argue PA didn't use Bodine correctly - so now we'll find out if that's the case and he'll be a free agent again at the age of 28.

At the end of the day, a four-year, every-game starter for four years is gone. There are only two solidified positions on the O-line - LT and LG. Say what you want about Bodine, you at least could pencil him in and know what you got. Now, huge questions C-RG-RT. Everyone assumes the next guy is better...but let's be real, it's an unknown. 
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Jim--

At PBS, what's the mood these days? I would think they would be feeling pretty good. Lot of work to do but a good start so far. I would imagine all the new coaches would be getting pretty antsy to start seeing their guys. Lot of planning what to do at this stage, I would imagine. Are they ready to go? Are they anxious to get on the field? Do coaches need time to gel like players do? Are they getting along so far? (What I'm hoping to hear--pumped about what they've done so far, know there's a lot more to do, chomping at the bit to get started).

Of all the coaches, maybe Frank Pollack might have the most daunting task. He can't see what he has in person going into the draft. He has film but can you tell if a guy will take to what you're teaching on film? And we will have a lineup that has never worked as a unit, with at least three and possibly four new players on it. And he's teaching them a different way than the last guy. Got his work cut out for him, wouldn't you say?

Finally, what is your level of optimism at this point?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 07:11 PM)McC Wrote: Jim--

At PBS, what's the mood these days?  I would think they would be feeling pretty good.  Lot of work to do but a good start so far.  I would imagine all the new coaches would be getting pretty antsy to start seeing their guys.  Lot of planning what to do at this stage, I would imagine.  Are they ready to go?  Are they anxious to get on the field?  Do coaches need time to gel like players do?  Are they getting along so far?  (What I'm hoping to hear--pumped about what they've done so far, know there's a lot more to do, chomping at the bit to get started).

Of all the coaches, maybe Frank Pollack might have the most daunting task.  He can't see what he has in person going into the draft.  He has film but can you tell if a guy will take to what you're teaching on film?  And we will have a lineup that has never worked as a unit, with at least three and possibly four new players on it.  And he's teaching them a different way than the last guy. Got his work cut out for him, wouldn't you say?

Finally, what is your level of optimism at this point?

Well, we're not allowed in the building at this point but obviously just in talking to guys - a lot of optimism in house. But they know they're not done with the OL. So there is an air of 'not satisfied' - which is important for a team that's missed the playoffs the last two years. I do think coaches need that time together, but this is what they do so I think it comes together a bit quicker than most. I think this will be the case offensively - Lazor hired two guys and chose to keep Caskey and Hayes. So I feel he's running. Austin will be interesting. His entire staff was handed to him, so that may take some time ... but I guess we'll see how that plays out in camp/preseason. 

Yeah, Pollack has the toughest task by far. Not only can he not work with his guys at all until April, he can't put them in pads. He can't let 'em hit or block. It's definitely a hurry up and wait situation there.

I guess I can't get optimistic or pessimistic. Last year I predicted an 8-8 season because I had no faith in the OL. They finished 7-9 and nearly made the playoffs if not for two blown halftime leads vs. GB and Pitt. (So I was right :-D). But I also said they were a 10-win team if the OL was even average. I'm going to stick with that for now, just based on the healthy talent on paper. 10 wins. When I make my official prediction we'll have a better idea of the OL, Lazor's offense, Austin's defense...but to me, it's playoff talent. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 04:49 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Well, we're not allowed in the building at this point but obviously just in talking to guys - a lot of optimism in house. But they know they're not done with the OL. So there is an air of 'not satisfied' - which is important for a team that's missed the playoffs the last two years. I do think coaches need that time together, but this is what they do so I think it comes together a bit quicker than most. I think this will be the case offensively - Lazor hired two guys and chose to keep Caskey and Hayes. So I feel he's running. Austin will be interesting. His entire staff was handed to him, so that may take some time ... but I guess we'll see how that plays out in camp/preseason. 

Yeah, Pollack has the toughest task by far. Not only can he not work with his guys at all until April, he can't put them in pads. He can't let 'em hit or block. It's definitely a hurry up and wait situation there.

I guess I can't get optimistic or pessimistic. Last year I predicted an 8-8 season because I had no faith in the OL. They finished 7-9 and nearly made the playoffs if not for two blown halftime leads vs. GB and Pitt. (So I was right :-D). But I also said they were a 10-win team if the OL was even average. I'm going to stick with that for now, just based on the healthy talent on paper. 10 wins. When I make my official prediction we'll have a better idea of the OL, Lazor's offense, Austin's defense...but to me, it's playoff talent. 
Thank you for your most excellent answers to my vague and rambling questions.  Great job, as always.  So cool of you to do what you do here.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
One quick follow up--when will you be allowed in the building?

And another thing, any word on players working out together, on their own? (QB's & Receivers, etc.)?

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 07:22 PM)McC Wrote: One quick follow up--when will you be allowed in the building?

And another thing, any word on players working out together, on their own?  (QB's & Receivers, etc.)?

Anytime! 

We will be able to see players for the first time when the voluntary workouts begin, which is the second week of April. It's typically on Mondays. As for players working out together, I'm not sure how often that happens. I know it happens with Ignition guys, maybe some guys who go to the same places in Florida. I know Dalton has had guys come to his house in Dallas in the past, but I've only been told about that anecdotally - he prefers to not put such things on social media. 
Reply/Quote
Next time you are in the building and talking to whoever it is that post photos on the main page, how about asking them to write a little caption telling us who it is in the photo. Sure, it's easy to tell Dalton, Green, Tez, Eifert and the rest of the mainstays on this team, but in OTA's and TC there are a lot of unfamiliar faces. It would be nice to know who we are looking at.....
Reply/Quote
*sigh* don't mean to ask a gossip question, but Jim, is there any truth to the rumours that Ogbuehi will have his option picked up?

That's all, for now! Many thanks!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Jim, any last thoughts or insights before the start of the draft?
Reply/Quote
Hey Jim,

Now that the players have been around for the start of offseason activities, is there a buzz about any of them transforming their bodies? There's a lot of talk about younger players growing into NFL bodies with a full year in an NFL nutrition/workout routine.... any young guys doing that? Eifert looks stouter than I remember in the pictures, and there was some buzz about Mixon coming back in great shape.... any others? Particularly interested in linemen.....
Reply/Quote
Heh Jim. Any inkling that the Bengals wanted to trade up in the second round? Noticed 4 of those 1st 7 picks went to offensive lineman, and thinking that's why they traded back. Kind of a unique deal they did, moving pick 100 in the third round up.

What's the thoughts of management? Overall pleased they are?
Reply/Quote
Would also be interested in hearing your draft grade and theory on why Bengals didn’t put more work into improving OL?

Reply/Quote
Thanks for patience! Long couple weeks.

@sled21 – Main page like Cincinnati.com? Our photogs always caption accurately.

@Truck_1_0_1_ - What rumors? If you read / listen to us at all you know that won’t happen.

@Mallorian69 – Sorry, the draft is over! But I don’t think I would’ve had anything to say then other than they weren’t taking Lamar Jackson ever and taking Billy Price at No. 21. Dammit. I should’ve come on here sooner!

@MaineBengal – Appreciate that. Mixon slimmed down. I think Michael Johnson did, too. But right now there hasn’t been too many discussions about “best shape of their life” type of stuff, to be honest. Ross might be the most interesting one to talk to about that.

@Goalpost –Obviously they traded down. But going in, they were never going to trade up in the second round. The price would be too high. And they didn’t value those linemen that way. And, management is always happy with the draft. They’ll never say otherwise!

@HarleyDog – I don’t do “grades” but I’ll say this: they win for me because for four years all I’ve asked them to do is draft a starter in the first round. They did it for the first time since 2012. So I’d be a hypocrite to say they messed that up. Still think they should’ve made a stronger move for a starting linebacker, but they did add “starters” if you look at special teams. And while that seems unsexy, that group was not very good last year and has gotten worse since 2015. They need to be better there and they should be now. As for OL – I mean, they did get two new starters (Glenn and Price). So simply, the rest of the draft picks weren’t better in their eyes than the three guys they have competing at guard and the two guys they’ve got competing at right tackle.
Reply/Quote
Jim,

Re the recent draft. From what you could gather being around the team was tight end a position they were looking at all or did they just see any value there at their picks?

With Glenn and price their two biggest needs were addressed and def and special teams were infused with young players but still a couple spots on offense still need to be addressed.

And thank you for sharing your insights with us.
Reply/Quote