Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 4.39 Average
Ask Jim Owczarski
(04-29-2018, 10:19 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Jim,

Re the recent draft.  From what you could gather being around the team was tight end a position they were looking at all or did they just see any value there at their picks?

With Glenn and price their two biggest needs were addressed and def and special teams were infused with young players but still a couple spots on offense still need to be addressed.

And thank you for sharing your insights with us.

Good question. I think they would have considered tight end -- but now all the praise for Uzomah from Tobin/Lewis as still an "ascending" player in year 4 makes sense now. They probably didn't have TE valued at No. 21 or 46 - and then when it came down to it, didn't think any of the ones they could have drafted were better than Uzomah / Hewitt / Carter. So, I guess they're rolling with a healthy Tyler Eifert and OK with Kroft being the solid No. 2. 
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Jim...something that hasn't been brought up is A.J Green's future with the Bengals.
he's entering the prime of his career but he's signed through only this year and next then he's a free agent.
usually the Bengals don't retain their own WRs after age 30.
is replacing him eventually something that's being quietly discussed in the front office.?
in the past 2 years they have drafted 3 WRs...Malone,Ross and Tate.
What's the long term picture for Green and the Bengals
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 12:19 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Jim...something that hasn't been brought up is A.J Green's future with the Bengals.
he's entering the prime of his career but he's signed through only this year and next then he's a  free agent.
usually the Bengals don't retain their own WRs after age 30.
is replacing him eventually something that's being quietly discussed in the front office.?
in the past 2 years they have drafted 3 WRs...Malone,Ross and Tate.
What's the long term picture for Green and the Bengals

Yup. 
I don't think the current group of wideouts have been drafted with replacing him in mind, to be honest. Alex Erickson is a free agent after this season. Tyler Boyd and Cody Core are also free agents after 2019. Ross is under contract through 2020 if they don't pick up his option, as is Josh Malone.

That said, I don't think the Bengals will much worry about it until after this season - Geno Atkins is the priority now. 

They're always "thinking" about such things, however. Most teams map out their contracts for a five year period to see who's where and how old they'll be. It's a fair point about his age, and not paying wideouts over 30. Frankly, the Bengals would buck all the odds to win a Super Bowl with Green anyway -- most teams that do don't have a single receiver making a top-10 salary. It's been proven that you don't need that guy to win. Green, in my opinion, will "age well" in that he's big enough that even if he loses his top end speed, as long as his legs are healthy, he can still win high points and he even said he knows he'll have to transition to the slot at some point. 

I'd be shocked if they paid a 30+ receiver $10 million or more. The market doesn't dictate that (see Bryant, Dez; Nelson, Jordy). But I think they'll try to keep him. He's a guy, though, that to me I could see going to play for Atlanta or Carolina if the money is close or a bit more than Cincinnati, just to be closer to his family/home. 

But it's a good thought. It's a real conversation to have and think about for sure.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2018, 10:09 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Yup. 
I don't think the current group of wideouts have been drafted with replacing him in mind, to be honest. Alex Erickson is a free agent after this season. Tyler Boyd and Cody Core are also free agents after 2019. Ross is under contract through 2020 if they don't pick up his option, as is Josh Malone.

That said, I don't think the Bengals will much worry about it until after this season - Geno Atkins is the priority now. 

They're always "thinking" about such things, however. Most teams map out their contracts for a five year period to see who's where and how old they'll be. It's a fair point about his age, and not paying wideouts over 30. Frankly, the Bengals would buck all the odds to win a Super Bowl with Green anyway -- most teams that do don't have a single receiver making a top-10 salary. It's been proven that you don't need that guy to win. Green, in my opinion, will "age well" in that he's big enough that even if he loses his top end speed, as long as his legs are healthy, he can still win high points and he even said he knows he'll have to transition to the slot at some point. 

I'd be shocked if they paid a 30+ receiver $10 million or more. The market doesn't dictate that (see Bryant, Dez; Nelson, Jordy). But I think they'll try to keep him. He's a guy, though, that to me I could see going to play for Atlanta or Carolina if the money is close or a bit more than Cincinnati, just to be closer to his family/home. 

But it's a good thought. It's a real conversation to have and think about for sure.

The bengals could always go year to year with 2 franchise tags.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 01:20 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: The bengals could always go year to year with 2 franchise tags.

I thought we were only allowed 1 FT a year?

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 01:24 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I thought we were only allowed 1 FT a year?

Yes, one franchise tag, but there is also a transitional tag that can be applied.  So, total of two tags, with one of them being franchise.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 02:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, one franchise tag, but there is also a transitional tag that can be applied.  So, total of two tags, with one of them being franchise.

Wouldn't that be called Deuce Bags?  LMAO

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 01:24 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I thought we were only allowed 1 FT a year?

You can franchise a player twice before he is at 44% increase. So you can use the franchise tag 2 times in consecutive years
Reply/Quote
Yeah you can only apply one tag per year, so just one franchise OR transition. If it were me, I'd offer Atkins a fair deal (which they will) and if he doesn't take it - franchise him in 2019. They've done that before with who they feel are premier pass rushers (Smith, Johnson). Atkins will be 31 in 2019, in year 10. Wouldn't oppose it. It would be a big number. And Cousins has changed the market on that - basically now players like that try to bake in the franchise numbers into the guaranteed money they are looking for from teams. So if the Bengals didn't want to hit those numbers to begin with, they may not want to.
Reply/Quote
Have you seen any of the virtual reality training equipment that colleges are getting into.

Obviously it will never completely replace on field practice, but from what I have read they can be valuable teaching tools.
Reply/Quote
I would love guys like AJ & Geno to be able to go out with a bang with the Bengals before father age catches up with them, but every Bengals fan has to be realistic about it and know it may never come to fruition. Teams seldom pay players for what they used to be. The Bengals have done that and it almost always bit them in the ass for it.. Tough telling if they'll do it again.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 11:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Have you seen any of the virtual reality training equipment that colleges are getting into.

Obviously it will never completely replace on field practice, but from what I have read they can be valuable teaching tools.

The Bengals have been on the forefront of some of the camera angles / new camera / tech in many ways. I have not yet heard if they're doing VR. But I can ask. 
Reply/Quote
Any talk of Redmond playing RT. He is usually spoken of as a guard, but at 6'5" he has the length to play OT. And he is one of the strongest guys on the team.

I know it takes more than height to play OT, but I am really worried about that RT spot.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 05:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Any talk of Redmond playing RT.  He is usually spoken of as a guard, but at 6'5" he has the length to play OT.  And he is one of the strongest guys on the team.

I know it takes more than height to play OT, but I am really worried about that RT spot.

This is a great question.

Like to see more of Redmond.
Reply/Quote
Now that camp week is here, I was wondering how much access you have to players and staff every day in any sort of informal way. Or are you restricted solely to a structured media time period? How much of each practice session do you get to observe?
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
@FredToast – He says he can play RT, and I think he could in a pinch, but right now they want him dialed in at guard.

@WildcatsForever – We are basically restricted to open locker rooms and post-practice. The guys are in the meeting rooms / film rooms / weight room / cafeteria when they’re not there. I mean, we see them coming in and out of the parking lot but that’s about it. We get to see all of camp practices, just like the fans do. Once the season begins, we get the first 10 minutes – which is usually to see the end of special teams and team stretch to see who is practicing and who is not.
Reply/Quote
A couple of questions
1.) Do you think we will see a lot of 3 safety packages this season with Bates at safety with Iloka, and Williams as linebacker?
2) how is Evans looking at Backer?
3.) The Running Back position seems deep this year do you think they will keep 4 or 3?
4.) Why are the Bengals/NFL being so stingy with video content this training camp? You think after ratings went down last year that they would want more content out there but it seems the exact opposite.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Hey JimO - this isn't a question but a comment, I want to compliment you on your writing. It's always at least very solid beat stuff, but a few times each season you pen a real gem. The recent story on John Ross is one of those, and what triggered this comment. Nice job, I'd rather read your stuff than any other Bengals writer.
Reply/Quote
Do you have access to the "top speed" stats on the Bengals WRs. I'll bet Green has a much higher top speed than Ross. Forty times are way overrated when scouting WRs. Top speed is much more important. I know they measure it at the combine but I can't find it posted anywhere. and I am pretty sure the bengal players wear some sort of devive that measures how fats they accelerate and their top speed.
Reply/Quote
Have Kauran White or Devonte Boyd made any noise as WRs? Any chance of making the PS? How about Q. Flowers?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote