Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask a stupid automotive question
OK, I will ask two!

1. Whenever I start my vehicle the wipers start even though the little switch on the arm that is turn signal/wiper control is clearly in the off position. Additionally the wipers come on periodically during driving. The remedy is to turn the switch on and back off, but this is working less and less effectively. So, sometimes it takes multiple cycles to get them to stay off. Now, there is no way in hell I can fix this myself, so don't tell me how easy it would be. (It would have to be easier than screwing in a light bulb for me to fix it. I guess if it is that easy, you can tell me how.) So, is this something I should just live with or take to the mechanic, and if the latter how much should a repair cost?

2. When I turn the (round/rotational) cabin temp switch all the way up to high I hear a loud clicking sound emanating from the center of the dashboard, but only when the temp switch is all the way up to high. At other settings there is no clicking sound. What is causing this sound?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Did you try unplugging it then plugging it back in?
Reply/Quote
Your wiper problem is probably a bad chip/sensor. $20 plus labor, or @ $120. A dealer probably hits you up for almost twice that.

In short, I have no idea.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 01:02 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Did you try unplugging it then plugging it back in?

Like yanking the arm out of the socket? That sounds like a sure way to completely break it, but as should be evident, I am not the most mechanical "tool" in the shed.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 01:09 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Your wiper problem is probably a bad chip/sensor.   $20 plus labor, or @ $120.  A dealer probably hits you up for almost twice that.

In short, I have no idea.

Hmm, that sounds like a reasonable guess. It also sounds so easy that the dudes at a Jiffy Lube could do it. I usually turn down all services beyond oil change there, but I wonder if they might charge less than $100 labor for a job that sounds like it would take about 10 minutes. Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 01:14 PM)xxlt Wrote: Hmm, that sounds like a reasonable guess. It also sounds so easy that the dudes at a Jiffy Lube could do it. I usually turn down all services beyond oil change there, but I wonder if they might charge less than $100 labor for a job that sounds like it would take about 10 minutes. Thoughts?

Take it to someone who can run a free diagnostic.  Yeah, it's probably a half-hour labor but guessing the book will say like 2 (which is why the Dealer's charge so much more - they always get paid book whereas a mechanic might charge you his actual labor).

I had a somewhat similar issue years ago...getting my car detailed, of all places, they fixed it for me and the chip was like $10 and maybe $80 for labor.

Now if you need a whole new wiper switch (which I doubt), then you could be getting into some money.  But a good mechanic can find you a perfectly good used one. Hell, it might just be a loose wire.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 01:42 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Take it to someone who can run a free diagnostic.  Yeah, it's probably a half-hour labor but guessing the book will say like 2 (which is why the Dealer's charge so much more - they always get paid book whereas a mechanic might charge you his actual labor).

I had a somewhat similar issue years ago...getting my car detailed, of all places, they fixed it for me and the chip was like $10 and maybe $80 for labor.

Now if you need a whole new wiper switch (which I doubt), then you could be getting into some money.  But a good mechanic can find you a perfectly good used one.  Hell, it might just be a loose wire.

Places like Auto Zone have free diagnostic testing, right?

(I will fill this thread with my own stupid questions, by the way. But I think I just found the answer to that one. A quick search said those places will do testing if your "check engine" light is on and tell you what codes come up so you can find the problem. Of course, I have no light telling me this wiper gizmo is jacked up so I guess maybe they can't help figure out the issue. Or can they?)
Reply/Quote
Actually just looked on the internet, assuming it's not a loose wire, you're probably looking at either $200-$300 to replace the switch, or $200-$300 to replace the wiper motor (parts + labor). You can get a better idea if you google your make and model of what it costs to repair.

Shouldn't be a problem to test/check either one. And if you're willing to wait a week, they can save you money ordering a replacemen off the internet.

I assume I don't have to tell you what's a nuisance now could be a major hazard if it fails on you while driving in a heavy rain.
Reply/Quote
What kind of car is it? If it's a Volkswagen, I know EXACTLY what your issue is, and how to fix it......otherwise, I'd say it's the switch on the wipers, and a blend door issue with your climate control.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have a stupid automobile question.

I am rigging a device to shock the MFers from the parking lots who keep stealing the windshield wiper from the rear of my hatchback. Should I connect this directly to the battery to fry their asses back to the stone age?
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 02:44 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I have a stupid automobile question.

I am rigging a device to shock the MFers from the parking lots who keep stealing the windshield wiper from the rear of my hatchback. Should I connect this directly to the battery to fry their asses back to the stone age?

In the old days, yes.....but with all of the electronic gadgetry of today's rides, you'll wind up frying something....possibly even the CPU.

There is, however, chance that you may not fry something if you disconnect the power and ground from your battery and then wire the chassis to the battery and produce a nice jolt.......120V hooked to the chassis after a disconnect would work the best.....but they'll see the chord.....maybe. Wink

Reply/Quote
I always check the muffler belt if something is acting up on my car.  Its always the muffler belt or it could be the blinker fluid if your wipers aren't working correctly.  Run up to your local auto parts store and ask if they have any heavy duty blinker fluid by Presto, usually wwjd69.  That'll fix your wiper issue.

As for your clicking noise, does it still do it when you have your radio on?  Just turn your radio up louder and louder until you can't hear the clicking noise.  Waa-Laa!  
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 02:06 PM)xxlt Wrote: Places like Auto Zone have free diagnostic testing, right?

(I will fill this thread with my own stupid questions, by the way. But I think I just found the answer to that one. A quick search said those places will do testing if your "check engine" light is on and tell you what codes come up so you can find the problem. Of course, I have no light telling me this wiper gizmo is jacked up so I guess maybe they can't help figure out the issue. Or can they?)

A bad windshield wiper chip isn't going to be throwing a trouble code. That's all autozone checks for (and most places you take it to when something needs fixed). 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 02:39 PM)Wyche Wrote: What kind of car is it?  If it's a Volkswagen, I know EXACTLY what your issue is, and how to fix it......otherwise, I'd say it's the switch on the wipers, and a blend door issue with your climate control.

The car is a 2002 Ford Explorer. (I have no idea what a blend door is but I am curious if it could have been damaged in an accident.)
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 01:11 PM)xxlt Wrote: Like yanking the arm out of the socket? That sounds like a sure way to completely break it, but as should be evident, I am not the most mechanical "tool" in the shed.

Maybe find the fuse for it and unplugg that?

Wiper one is kinda baffling im guessing a short in the wire or switch as im not sure what sensor that would work off of.

I know i need a new set of dials for my heater/ac as it only works on 1/4 not 2 or 3 mechanic says those two got worn out lol... It could hopefully be something like that.

If you wanna try and fix it yourself i recommend finding the Haynes manual... Generally has everything you need to know and diagrams. (just doesnt come with any tools.) lol
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 12:58 PM)xxlt Wrote: OK, I will ask two!

1. Whenever I start my vehicle the wipers start even though the little switch on the arm that is turn signal/wiper control is clearly in the off position. Additionally the wipers come on periodically during driving. The remedy is to turn the switch on and back off, but this is working less and less effectively. So, sometimes it takes multiple cycles to get them to stay off. Now, there is no way in hell I can fix this myself, so don't tell me how easy it would be. (It would have to be easier than screwing in a light bulb for me to fix it. I guess if it is that easy, you can tell me how.) So, is this something I should just live with or take to the mechanic, and if the latter how much should a repair cost?

2. When I turn the (round/rotational) cabin temp switch all the way up to high I hear a loud clicking sound emanating from the center of the dashboard, but only when the temp switch is all the way up to high. At other settings there is no clicking sound. What is causing this sound?

I don't know about the first but it sounds like a couple of wires are exposed and the current is jumping and the second one sounds like the blend door actuator may be stuck or it may be loose and flapping to the force of the air flowing. This can be expensive to replace especially if the dashboard needs to be removed.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 04:53 PM)xxlt Wrote: The car is a 2002 Ford Explorer. (I have no idea what a blend door is but I am curious if it could have been damaged in an accident.)

(06-09-2015, 05:46 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I don't know about the first but it sounds like a couple of wires are exposed and the current is jumping and the second one sounds like the blend door actuator may be stuck or it may be loose and flapping to the force of the air flowing. This can be expensive to replace especially if the dashboard needs to be removed.

Neb is correct.  My neighbor had the same issue in his '02 Ford Expedition with the blend door.  It is essentially a door that changes the system from hot air to cool air, hence the term blend door.  His was a faulty motor, I think, but if the switch was moved all the way to cold, or all the way to hot, the motor kept trying to close off the opposite side, and you get that noise you describe.  The dash will have to come out, and that won't be cheap.

I'd say your other issue is a faulty wiper switch, or possibly a relay.  I know how to check the problem with a voltmeter to tell you which one it is, but you aren't in the Bluegrass area......

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 04:53 PM)xxlt Wrote: The car is a 2002 Ford Explorer. 

I think I've found your problem.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 06:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think I've found your problem.

.....and that..... Wink

Reply/Quote
Here's a DIY on your blend door.....doesn't look like too hateful of a job, but they'll want an arm and a leg because of the time the book will call for....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EEWuJuhCtmc

.....it's only a 30 dollar part.....

Here are some suggestions for your "possessed" wipers....

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1295456-wipers-wont-turn-off-sometimes.html

....these automotive forums are the shit......save me A LOT of money.  

Wow, leave it to Ford to **** up something as simple as wipers!   WTF?! No hard wire on the switch....goes through a network?

Anyway, as you read through that thread, you'll find that most of the members' problems were the same culprit: the wiper switch.....which is apparently rather cheap.

Reply/Quote