Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asked To Present At A School- What Do I DO?
The principal at Dixie, which is about a mile from my place, just asked me to present to to the senior class in the next two weeks. I get the second dose of the vaccine in two and a half weeks.

I'm 40 to 50% protected with having gotten the first dose and I wouldn't be too close to anyone since it would be in the gym, but I've gone a year without getting it because I've mostly been staying away from people, so what do I do?

The principal said that we could try and do it at a later time but they just have a bunch of other stuff going on for the seniors.

I'm itching to get back to presenting, especially since I added the slides about what happened right before and right after the wreck because they're pretty intense.

Sister said it's my call but she wouldn't and I'm still waiting to hear back from my brother.

What do you think I should do?
Reply/Quote
Do whatever makes you most comfortable.

Do they have the ability for you to do it remotely? If they can project the presentation for all to see, and then if you do Q&A type of stuff, they can take turns coming up to a camera and microphone so you can be face to face while the exchange is visible to all on the big screen. Just an idea...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 09:55 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Do whatever makes you most comfortable.

Do they have the ability for you to do it remotely? If they can project the presentation for all to see, and then if you’re you do Q&A type of stuff, they can take turns coming up to a camera and microphone so you can be face to face while the exchange is visible to all on the big screen. Just an idea...

I can do it remotely but the question and answer part is almost pointless and that the best part of what I do.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 11:03 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I can do it remotely but the question and answer part is almost pointless and that the best part of what I do.

Brad, you're going to have to go with your heart on this one.  Presenting is what has become your life's mission, since the crash.  You went into that crash with youthful, reckless abandon.  Now, is your opportunity to take precaution, and speak to these young folks safely from across an auditorium or gymnasium, and teach them the values of having a little forethought.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'd say do it Brad. It sounds like you want to. It also sounds like you miss the basic ass human interaction that many people took for granted their entire lives. You'll be in a controlled setting (it's not really spreading in though environments), and you're partially vaccinated. I think it'll be alright. If you're not comfortable don't do it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 11:03 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I can do it remotely but the question and answer part is almost pointless and that the best part of what I do.

I don't know how old you are. If you are under 50, the risk may be worth it, i.e., not a high lethal risk.

But I think you may be underestimating what you can do remotely. 

My wife has done some amazing things teaching her opera workshop on line. I'd thought that impossible last year.

A suggestion: if you can provide students with some information ahead of time, so they can mull it over and perhaps even 
discuss it some before you get to class, you mind find them primed for questions. 
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 12:02 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Brad, you're going to have to go with your heart on this one.  Presenting is what has become your life's mission, since the crash.  You went into that crash with youthful, reckless abandon.  Now, is your opportunity to take precaution, and speak to these young folks safely from across an auditorium or gymnasium, and teach them the values of having a little forethought.

This is my calling so I can’t let this stop me. Gotta try and make a difference while I still can.

(02-25-2021, 12:56 AM)jason Wrote: I'd say do it Brad. It sounds like you want to. It also sounds like you miss the basic ass human interaction that many people took for granted their entire lives. You'll be in a controlled setting (it's not really spreading in though environments), and you're partially vaccinated. I think it'll be alright. If you're not comfortable don't do it.
Yeah. I’m coming around to the idea, especially since they know and are fine with their being strict guidelines. This is my life and what gives it meaning so I gotta face the fear at some point.
(02-25-2021, 01:34 AM)Dill Wrote: I don't know how old you are. If you are under 50, the risk may be worth it, i.e., not a high lethal risk.

My wife has done some amazing things teaching her opera workshop on line. I'd thought that impossible last year.

A suggestion: if you can provide students with some information ahead of time, so they can mull it over and perhaps even 
discuss it some before you get to class, you mind find them primed for questions. 

Im only 36 but I also have a compromised immune system and damaged lungs.

I can show the presentation fine remotely but it’s answering the questions that’s difficult just because my Lightwriter (little computer that talks for me) is tough to hear over an iPad, much-less be heard clearly. I’ve presented virtually a few times and that’s been the problem.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 01:49 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Im only 36 but I also have a compromised immune system and damaged lungs.

Good for you Brad that this is your calling, but with the above issues, getting Corona would be nearly a death sentence.  Doing one engagement live and dying vs doing this one remotely and doing many more in the future isn't even a balance in my mind.

Others say go with your heart, but I say go with logic and caution, so you can help more people in the future vs. taking the risk with this one engagement.

Good luck
Reply/Quote
Mask up, be careful in and out of the building, don't touch anyone, and keep your distance. You'll be fine.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 09:15 AM)Stewy Wrote: Good for you Brad that this is your calling, but with the above issues, getting Corona would be nearly a death sentence.  Doing one engagement live and dying vs doing this one remotely and doing many more in the future isn't even a balance in my mind.

Others say go with your heart, but I say go with logic and caution, so you can help more people in the future vs. taking the risk with this one engagement.

Good luck

Normally, I'd agree, but it will be in the gym, so I won't be near anyone, and I'll have a mask on, so that would offer me some protection.  There hasn't been any breakouts in the area, and they're around each other pretty regularly and don't seem to have any problems, so I think I'll be ok.

Also, I went my fifth year at this school (was held back the year of the wreck) and I know a bunch of the faculty, like I said, so they'll make sure I'm taken care of.

(02-25-2021, 12:17 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Mask up, be careful in and out of the building, don't touch anyone, and keep your distance. You'll be fine.

That's what I'm thinking.  There's no halls or anything into the gym- it's a direct roll-in from outside, and I'd obviously be a good 15 feet apart away from the crowd because I could set my speaker up wherever.  I might have to take my mask off for the question/answer session because, if they can't see my smile, they won't pick up on the sarcasm of a lot of my answers, but I'll be distanced from them, so we'll be ok.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 04:19 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Normally, I'd agree, but it will be in the gym, so I won't be near anyone, and I'll have a mask on, so that would offer me some protection.  There hasn't been any breakouts in the area, and they're around each other pretty regularly and don't seem to have any problems, so I think I'll be ok.

Also, I went my fifth year at this school (was held back the year of the wreck) and I know a bunch of the faculty, like I said, so they'll make sure I'm taken care of.

That's what I'm thinking.  There's no halls or anything into the gym- it's a direct roll-in from outside, and I'd obviously be a good 15 feet apart away from the crowd because I could set my speaker up wherever.  I might have to take my mask off for the question/answer session because, if they can't see my smile, they won't pick up on the sarcasm of a lot of my answers, but I'll be distanced from them, so we'll be ok.

I'd say get an N-95 mask, tell people to stay far away from you at all times, and you should be fine.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2021, 04:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'd say get an N-95 mask, tell people to stay far away from you at all times, and you should be fine.

I haven't even tried to buy one of those since everything started because they were selling out and I figured they'd be better for nurses, teachers, nursing home workers, etc., but I just looked and it looks like there's some available.  

Thanks  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 01:34 AM)Dill Wrote: I don't know how old you are. If you are under 50, the risk may be worth it, i.e., not a high lethal risk.

Normally I would 100% agree with this sentiment, but I don't know that students will do that of their own volition.  But if the faculty gets involved in a classroom discussion ahead of time, it could work.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2021, 09:10 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Normally I would 100% agree with this sentiment, but I don't know that students will do that of their own volition.  But if the faculty gets involved in a classroom discussion ahead of time, it could work.

I'm assuming there would be a teacher in the room.

He could prompt discussion in real time: "Johnny, what do you think about Mr. Fritz' last point?" 

I think B should try the remote presentation, and take good notes on what works and what doesn't.

Then fix the problems, with new technology, if need be.  
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2021, 09:10 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Normally I would 100% agree with this sentiment, but I don't know that students will do that of their own volition.  But if the faculty gets involved in a classroom discussion ahead of time, it could work.
Having them have no idea what to expect or what's coming is one of the reasons that my presentation is so powerful and has such an impact.

They never have troubles thinking of questions but it's the answer part that's challenging in this instance.
(02-26-2021, 11:13 PM)Dill Wrote: I'm assuming there would be a teacher in the room.

He could prompt discussion in real time: "Johnny, what do you think about Mr. Fritz' last point?" 

I think B should try the remote presentation, and take good notes on what works and what doesn't.

Then fix the problems, with new technology, if need be.  

I have tried it and, like I said, the presentation part is fine, but it's the question and answer session that's a lot more difficult just because it's very hard to hear my Lightwriter over the iPad, even when I plug it into a speaker.  
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 12:17 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Mask up, be careful in and out of the building, don't touch anyone, and keep your distance. You'll be fine.

This x 100 Brad. 

Good on you for doing it too.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2021, 01:19 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: This x 100 Brad. 

Good on you for doing it too.

Thanks!  

Like I keep saying, this is my life and my passion, so I'm happy to get back to it!
Reply/Quote