Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Assuming Hobson has .....
this right,  'Curtis has more TDs and catches than Lynn Swann and nearly a yard more per catch than John Stallworth, two Steelers Hall-of-Famers from his era.'  that's a pretty impressive stat for Isaac Curtis.  I would never have believed it.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Curtis-and-Anderson-hook-up-again/b725ec8a-994d-4634-bea7-c33771805e7a
Reply/Quote
One of, if not the, most underrated bengals players ever. Great player on the field, class act off it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2017, 01:55 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: this right,  'Curtis has more TDs and catches than Lynn Swann and nearly a yard more per catch than John Stallworth, two Steelers Hall-of-Famers from his era.'  that's a pretty impressive stat for Isaac Curtis.  I would never have believed it.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Curtis-and-Anderson-hook-up-again/b725ec8a-994d-4634-bea7-c33771805e7a

Yep. Exactly why the "Hall of Fame" can s*** a fat, veiny d***. It's a mere, pathetic popularity contest. I'm sure Tim Tebow is a first ballot hall of famer in their eyes  Whatever such a pathetic joke
Reply/Quote
This is more a case of Swann being grossly overrated.

In Lynn Swann's entire career he had ONE season with more than 50 catches.

His single season career high for yards was 880.

He was not even the best WR on his own team.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2017, 04:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is more a case of Swann being grossly overrated.

But he has, "The Catch!" Lol.

Reply/Quote
Swann - like Bettis - is just another guy that's in the HOF "cuz Steelers".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully our team can get a super bowl or 2, because that's a big part of guys like Curtis, Kenny Anderson, Riley, etc and why they don't get into the HOF. AJ, Atkins, and maybe some others will need that as well to get in. Hopefully new guys like Ross, and Mixon take this team to another level.

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2017, 03:14 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: One of, if not the, most underrated bengals players ever.  Great player on the field, class act off it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my first pack of football cards in 1977, age 8 years old.  I had just started paying attention to football that year, and chose the Bengals as my team.  Isaac Curtis was in that very first pack of cards that I ever bought, I remember getting one with Ken Riley later that season. 

A few years went by, and I slowly amassed a small shoebox full of football cards.  Then, fast forward to my middle teen years, my family held a yard sale while I was camping with friends for the weekend.  I bought my first pack of football cards in a couple years, and was excited to have Anthony Munoz, and wanted to immediately add them to my Bengals stack in the shoebox.  I looked high and low, could not find it.  Finally asked my Dad if he had seen my box of cards.  He said, "well, I hadn't seen you messing with them in a good while, figured they were just taking up space in your closet, so I sold them in the yard sale.".  I was devastated.

Imagine what some of those cards would be worth, to a collector today?  Funny thing is that this thread brought back an old memory, as Isaac Curtis was in the first pack of cards that I ever bought.

Yes, he should absolutely be in the H.O.F.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2017, 05:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I got my first pack of football cards in 1977, age 8 years old.  I had just started paying attention to football that year, and chose the Bengals as my team.  Isaac Curtis was in that very first pack of cards that I ever bought, I remember getting one with Ken Riley later that season. 

A few years went by, and I slowly amassed a small shoebox full of football cards.  Then, fast forward to my middle teen years, my family held a yard sale while I was camping with friends for the weekend.  I bought my first pack of football cards in a couple years, and was excited to have Anthony Munoz, and wanted to immediately add them to my Bengals stack in the shoebox.  I looked high and low, could not find it.  Finally asked my Dad if he had seen my box of cards.  He said, "well, I hadn't seen you messing with them in a good while, figured they were just taking up space in your closet, so I sold them in the yard sale.".  I was devastated.

Imagine what some of those cards would be worth, to a collector today?  Funny thing is that this thread brought back an old memory, as Isaac Curtis was in the first pack of cards that I ever bought.

Very sorry. Thats tough!

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2017, 04:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is more a case of Swann being grossly overrated.

Yup

(05-21-2017, 04:49 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: But he has, "The Catch!" Lol.

yup

(05-21-2017, 04:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Swann - like Bettis - is just another guy that's in the HOF "cuz Steelers".

And more yup,

Swann is in the HOF because of the Super Bowl catch that we all watched 10,000 times over 15 years on every NFL broadcast. There's a couple dozen WR's more deserving.

Anderson, Riley and Curtis should all be in the HOF.
Reply/Quote

I don't think he was overrated, it was more that he was catching passes from Bradshaw, Hanrraty, and Gilliam. Bradshaw was the best of the 3 but was a little above average QB who benefited from the best defense, great Oline, and running game. I think Swann would have put up better numbers with a better QB.
Reply/Quote

Possible, I don't about him being grossly overrated. I think it was more a function of the offense they ran and the era they were in. That offense in today's game would be putting up big stats.

(05-21-2017, 05:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I got my first pack of football cards in 1977, age 8 years old.  I had just started paying attention to football that year, and chose the Bengals as my team.  Isaac Curtis was in that very first pack of cards that I ever bought, I remember getting one with Ken Riley later that season. 

That sucks. I have, or had(?), a box of cards too. Think I probably collected some of those same cards
Reply/Quote
Curtis was the better WR
He was faster than Swann. He could get in and out of cuts faster
Curtis played WR in a offense that was less vertical more West Coast than the Steelers
Swann is in the HOF cause of Super Bowl.catches
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2017, 06:53 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I don't he was overrated, it was more that he was catching passes from Bradshaw, Hanrraty, and Gilliam. Bradshaw was the best of the 3 but was a little above average QB who benefited from the best defense, great Oline, and running game. I think Swann would have put up better numbers with a better QB.

Ok so he was catching passes from a HOF most of his career... so i don;t think your post makes much sense or if you are saying Bradshaw is overratted.. it seems the same argument that Swann is too., 
Reply/Quote
As much as we hate it; it is the Hall of Fame. Not the Hall of stats/great players. Swan and Bradshaw were two of the bigger faces on a dynasty that defined football in the 70s
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Curtis and Collinsworth were a lethal combination at WR.

That is a part of how the rushing attack was so effective.

I am hoping that Ross and Green can have a similar impact this year.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2017, 04:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Swann - like Bettis - is just another guy that's in the HOF "cuz Steelers".

Partially.  I've actually had this discussion with an old timer Steelers fan from back in the '70's.  He admits that Swann was a good player, but not HoF worthy.  However, he made a great point as to why Swann is so overrated.  He had a lot of great games on MNF and in the playoffs, and for most fans back then, that was about the only way you got to watch players from outside your market.  That created the perception nationally that he was this big time superstar when there were many games he was pedestrian or downright ineffective throughout a season.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 01:35 PM)Whatever Wrote: Partially.  I've actually had this discussion with an old timer Steelers fan from back in the '70's.  He admits that Swann was a good player, but not HoF worthy.  However, he made a great point as to why Swann is so overrated.  He had a lot of great games on MNF and in the playoffs, and for most fans back then, that was about the only way you got to watch players from outside your market.  That created the perception nationally that he was this big time superstar when there were many games he was pedestrian or downright ineffective throughout a season.

Makes sense in a way, but it's not like the HOF is voted on by fans.

Everyone knows those Steelers teams were all about their roided up defense. It's like voting Jamal Lewis into the HOF because he was the best offensive player on the 2001 Ravens. Except Lewis probably has a better argument than Swann.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2017, 06:53 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I don't he was overrated, it was more that he was catching passes from Bradshaw, Hanrraty, and Gilliam. Bradshaw was the best of the 3 but was a little above average QB who benefited from the best defense, great Oline, and running game. I think Swann would have put up better numbers with a better QB.

John Stallworth had multiple 1000 yard seasons with the exact same QBs.  Swan never had more than 880 receiving yards in a season.

Swann was not even the best WR on his own team.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 08:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: John Stallworth had multiple 1000 yard seasons with the exact same QBs.  Swan never had more than 880 receiving yards in a season.

Swann was not even the best WR on his own team.

Same can be said of Hines Ward, who was often considered the 2nd best Steelers WR behind either Plaxico, Santonio Holmes or Mike Wallace.

Yet I have a feeling Hines gets in at some point.
Reply/Quote