Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Assuming we keep 9 DL and 7 LBs, who makes the final 53 for the front 7?
My list:

LBs

Lamur
Maualuga
AJ Hawk
Flowers
Vinnie Rey
Sean Porter
Paul Dawson

(Burfict starts as the IR that can rejoin team after week 10)

DL

Dunlap
Johnson
Gilberry
Clarke
Atkins
Peko
Sims
Thompson
Hardison

I could see going with Dimanche over Porter at LB. Maybe they'll only keep 15 total, not 16. What do you guys think?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We play 5 DBs and 2 LBs almost half the time. So I don't think we keep 7 LBs. Have to have at least 10 DBs. That leaves 9 DL and 6 LB.

I think you are correct with your 9 D-linemen. Hunt would have to make huge strides to unseat any of those. The coaches really like Gilberry.

You are correct about the LBs also, just remove Porter.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 05:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We play 5 DBs and 2 LBs almost half the time.  So I don't think we keep 7 lbs.  Have to have at least 10 DBs.  That leaves 9 DL and 6 LB.

I think you are correct with your 9 D-linemen.  Hunt would have to make huge strides to unseat any of those.  The coaches really like Gilberry.

You are correct about the LBs also, just remove Porter.

I tend to agree with Fred on this. That would leave Hunt and Still looking for work elsewhere, which suits me just fine.

Gilberry can play all 4 spots on the DL and he'll likely be the first guy off the bench.

Reply/Quote
I'd say we go

LB

Maualuga
Lamur
Hawk
Dawson
Rey
Flowers
(Burfict IR)

DL

Atkins
Peko
Johnson
Dunlap
Gilberry
Thompson
Sims
Hardison
Clarke

Logic says Hunt is a goner. That being said, I think there will be some surprises this year. People who look like locks now won't be on the team.

Reply/Quote
Yeah, I also agree with Fred. I'm a bit worried about our linebacker situation, at the very least until Burfict is back. Hopefully, Dawson impresses and is able to stabilize the corps. 
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."
Formerly known as NASBengalfan
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 08:32 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: I'd say we go

LB

Maualuga
Lamur
Hawk
Dawson
Rey
Flowers
(Burfict IR)

DL

Atkins
Peko
Johnson
Dunlap
Gilberry
Thompson
Sims
Hardison
Clarke

Logic says Hunt is a goner. That being said, I think there will be some surprises this year. People who look like locks now won't be on the team.

This is pretty realistic, as are the comments by others so far. Burfict is the wildcard, they likely roll with 6 LBs unless they choose not to IR or PUP list him yet he isn't quite up to speed. The 7th LB likely gets lost in the numbers game, but Flowers (coverage), DiManche (ST) or Porter (pass rush) could have a great camp and earn it.

Hunt and Still look like they're on the outside looking in, but either of them could finally put it together and force someone out. The variable that could shake things up the most beyond other positions grabbing roster spots may be contracts. If a guy like Lamur has a bad camp/preseason and Flowers has a good one, we may see a little surprise. The list above would be my guess too except I'm holding out hope for just the PUP list for Burfict.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 03:04 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: My list:

LBs

Lamur
Maualuga
AJ Hawk
Flowers
Vinnie Rey
Sean Porter
Paul Dawson

(Burfict starts as the IR that can rejoin team after week 10)

DL

Dunlap
Johnson
Gilberry
Clarke
Atkins
Peko
Sims
Thompson
Hardison

I could see going with Dimanche over Porter at LB. Maybe they'll only keep 15 total, not 16. What do you guys think?

I don't think they will keep 7 LBs with the other special teamers they have coming from the RB, S, CB, and potentially TE positions.  9 is the minimum for the defensive line and although Still and Hunt are probably on the outside looking in, I can't help but think that if they were both on the roster this season and end up not re-signing with the team after 2016, as former 2nd round picks, couldn't they potentially generate a compensatory pick?  I know there is more that goes in to the calculation of said compensatory pick, such as playing time and contract, but I can't help but think that enters in to the equation in some way. 

There is no way I see both of them staying, but perhaps Hunt and they try (unsuccessfully) to sneak Hardison through on the practice squad. 

Also, early injuries have a way of helping make these decisions.  There will be a PUP space for the six games, and an IR designated to return space for 10 games.  Depending on the extent of Hunt's injury, he may net the six game spot with Burfict going on the 10 gamer, or vice-versa. 

One thing is for certain:  In order for this to work, all of those guys on the d-line are going to have to get significant playing time in order to keep them healthy and breathing fire in to the playoffs rather than worn down like last year. 
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 01:41 AM)inkblot Wrote: Yeah, I also agree with Fred. I'm a bit worried about our linebacker situation, at the very least until Burfict is back. Hopefully, Dawson impresses and is able to stabilize the corps. 

Whomever the LBs and DLs are, I hope they take a page out of OSU's defensive-tackling portfolio. Ohio State went from a team that struggled in the tackling department in 2013, to a squad with the least-amount of missed tackles in the country one year later. THIS!!!

There were a myriad of factors, but the secret sauce was the rugby tackling technique that was implemented by co-defensive coordinator Chris Ash, who was in his first year with the program.
Reply/Quote