Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At Least We Showed Some Life!
I didn't see the first half, but what I liked from the team is that they at least showed some enthusiasm, especially on defense.

Guys were flying around to the ball and hustling to make plays like they were playing in the Super Bowl! I don't even remember seeing that kind of enthusiasm under Marvin.

Dalton and the offense didn't look horrible from what I saw and Dalton made some good throws and improvised, but the line looked like shit.

I love that they gave Taylor the Gatorade bath and seemed like they were just excited and were finally seeing it all come together.

A team that plays hard under a coach that they believe in can beat good teams.

I'm not saying that we'll even win another game or win it all next year, but I did like the enthusiasm and the direction of this team if we can keep it up and plug some holes in the offseason.

I just don't remember seeing a Bengals team playing this hard or this much emotion......... am I wrong?
Reply/Quote
They played hard and looked like an actual NFL Team today.

Makes me wonder where it was the 1st 11 games.
Reply/Quote
I think if this team.beats Seattle Week 1 the season may. Have
Turned out different
Reply/Quote
ZT and the Bengals get 1 win in 12 games and we're shining up the participation trophy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 11:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: ZT and the Bengals get 1 win in 12 games and we're shining up the participation trophy.

Yeah...to put this achievement in perspective...

-Only what 2 teams haven't won atleast 1 game. (I'm reading on twitter how this is our turning point.)
-Dave Shula won 5 games his rookie year and had another 5 close losses.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 11:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: ZT and the Bengals get 1 win in 12 games and we're shining up the participation trophy.
Damn right!
Reply/Quote
I agree, Andy definitely looked lie he tried a bit harder on a couple plays, if not for an obvious reason. Even during Marvin's tenure, their biggest problem has been motivation.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 12:51 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I agree, Andy definitely looked lie he tried a bit harder on a couple plays, if not for an obvious reason. Even during Marvin's tenure, their biggest problem has been motivation.

I'm sure that Andy takes great satisfaction in coming back in and winning and playing well after he was benched. He won't say it though.
Reply/Quote
If only Z. taylor benched Andy after the first game, and brought him back game 3! We might be 10-2.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 11:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They played hard and looked like an actual NFL Team today.

Makes me wonder where it was the 1st 11 games.
I know......  especially since we lost 5(?) games by 7 points or less, so not like we were being blown out, and who knows how those games would have turned out if we had played with that kind of motivation and enthusiasm.

I do feel (cautiously) optimistic about the future after seeing this today.
(12-01-2019, 11:18 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think if this team.beats Seattle Week 1 the season may. Have
Turned out different

If we had played with this kind of energy and determination, I think we win that game easy and other games.  I wonder what changed?  Maybe because Andy was back?  Maybe they realized that their best chance to win is with Andy back so they better play hard in case Taylor is thinking of cleaning house?  (Never thought about the cleaning house thing, but now it makes sense, especially if they see we're willing to bench Andy.)

Did you read the substance of my post?  It's not about the win........  it's about the emotion and intensity that the team played with, which is something we really haven't seen in over 15 years.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 10:58 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I didn't see the first half, but what I liked from the team is that they at least showed some enthusiasm, especially on defense.

Guys were flying around to the ball and hustling to make plays like they were playing in the Super Bowl!  I don't even remember seeing that kind of enthusiasm under Marvin.

Dalton and the offense didn't look horrible from what I saw and Dalton made some good throws and improvised, but the line looked like shit.

I love that they gave Taylor the Gatorade bath and seemed like they were just excited and were finally seeing it all come together.

I'm not saying that we'll even win another game or win it all next year, but I did like the enthusiasm and the direction of this team if we can keep it up and plug some holes in the offseason.

I just don't remember seeing a Bengals team playing this hard or this much emotion......... am I wrong?

Yep. 

They've played hard and with emotion, and lost, many times. 

You can call it overexuberance or hyperbole. Either one fits. 

It was better to watch a win though. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 02:44 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yep. 

They've played hard and with emotion, and lost, many times. 

You can call it overexuberance or hyperbole. Either one fits. 

It was better to watch a win though. 

I don't remember seeing defensive players swarming to a ball like that and then going nuts in celebration.  

Celebrations have been pretty moderate or individual but today just seemed like they were all fired up as one.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 03:03 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't remember seeing defensive players swarming to a ball like that and then going nuts in celebration.  
I have. Hundreds of times. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
For quite some time I felt like they were tanking intentionally for the pick and there may be some element of truth there especially after being winless after 8 or 9, but I suppose there just had to be a point at which nobody really wanted to be winless all season. Say what you want about nobody really wanting to tank, but a team with a lot of solid players, but missing one or two pieces that leaves the team with no wins there definitely is an incentive to get the best college players you can. After all, college players ARE the future for every NFL team regardless. I can't imagine there are any teams who lose most of their games who would want the last pick of the draft or to pick 32nd in the first round. Even the team that wins it all wouldn't want to pick last if they could avoid it.
Now, moving forward we know the O-line MUST be fixed. With the current line I don't see how any rookie QB is going to find it easy to win here. Imagine they do get Burrow.. How long would that kid last behind this line? I can envision him being injured early and often. Heck, I'm really surprised Findley wasn't hurt badly in his short time. But suppose they DO get both Burrow and Young.. That does nothing for the O-line nor for the LBers..
At any rate I'm glad they got the win, Andy got the records and even more important nobody on the team seems to have just given up to just collect their paychecks..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 02:09 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Did you read the substance of my post?  It's not about the win........  it's about the emotion and intensity that the team played with, which is something we really haven't seen in over 15 years.

Right, it's more about feelings than results...the very essence of participation trophy psychology.

This 1-11 team has more heart than all 15 other teams in your timeframe, all of which won more games and made the playoffs 7 times?  I've never heard anyone express that sort of narrative to grown men much less pro athletes. 

If emotion and intensity gives us 1 win in 12 tries I say we go back to whatever it was that got us winning seasons, instead.

I haven't seen a team this fired up about 1 win since the 1-15 Browns. How peachy.

Just my take.  
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 11:18 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think if this team.beats Seattle Week 1 the season may. Have
Turned out different

Except they didn't win that game and that's the difference between winners and losers. They've been losers all season long.

Reply/Quote

Right

I've said it in a few threads now. We need to pump the brakes pretty hard on the elation about how much this team has improved. Am I happy they finally kinda resembled an NFL team yesterday ? For sure !

Do I think everything is now hunky dory and fine ? ummm NO !
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 10:58 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I didn't see the first half, but what I liked from the team is that they at least showed some enthusiasm, especially on defense.

Guys were flying around to the ball and hustling to make plays like they were playing in the Super Bowl!  I don't even remember seeing that kind of enthusiasm under Marvin.

The corpse has a pulse. Whoopeeeee!

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 11:44 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right

I've said it in a few threads now. We need to pump the brakes pretty hard on the elation about how much this team has improved. Am I happy they finally kinda resembled an NFL team yesterday ? For sure !

Do I think everything is now hunky dory and fine ? ummm NO !

Im just trying to be as fair as a fan can be.  We spent the offseason laughing at Browns fans for bring pumped they won 7 games and here we are a few months later getting weak in the knees over a single win in 12 tries at home over a 4-7 team.

Perspective...it sucks but most forms of reality do when you are a Bengals fan. 
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 11:59 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Im just trying to be as fair as a fan can be.  We spent the offseason laughing at Browns fans for bring pumped they won 7 games and here we are a few months later getting weak in the knees over a single win in 12 tries at home over a 4-7 team.

Perspective...it sucks but most forms of reality do when you are a Bengals fan. 

I am pretty sure everyone was laughing at the Browns because they thought they were superbowl favorites after last year. Pretty sure people are just excited to get a W. There is a difference between fair and bummer. Fair would be "great yes we won! Now let's build on it and see steady improvement." People ARE allowed to be happy and celebrate a win. 
Reply/Quote