Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At least 8 Ex-Bengals on upcoming HOF nominees list.
Boomer
Corey Dillon
Lorenzo Neal (I'd guess Chargers)
Chad Johnson
Willie Anderson
Richmond Webb (would be a Dolphin)
Justin Smith (almost certainly a 49er)
Takeo Spikes (likely not us)

Still, nice to see some of our guys getting consideration at least. Willie, Chad, Boomer and Corey all have solid cases.

And before anyone starts about Kenny Anderson or Ken Riley (among others) this list is JUST guys who've played in the last 25 years, so they're not eligible.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/12/pro-football-hall-of-fame-announces-122-modern-era-nominees-for-2020/
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 01:40 PM)Ravage Wrote: Boomer
Corey Dillon
Chad Johnson
Willie Anderson

Still, nice to see some of our guys getting consideration at least. Willie, Chad, Boomer and Corey all have solid cases.

And before anyone starts about Kenny Anderson or Ken Riley (among others) this list is JUST guys who've played in the last 25 years, so they're not eligible.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/12/pro-football-hall-of-fame-announces-122-modern-era-nominees-for-2020/

Willie, Chad, and Norman are the only ones im claiming.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Corey Dillon
Chad Johnson
Willie Anderson

Chad should get in, but I think he gets hurt by the fact he really tailed off towards the end. People forget just how good he was for awhile. I used to think he was a shoe-in, but now I'm not so sure.

Corey should also get in, and if he does he should absolutely go in as a Bengal. His best year was as a Patriot but he was better for longer here. Unfortunately he did it for some really bad teams with nothing around him and no real spotlight on him nationally.

Willie deserves it but has no chance (IMO). He was always overlooked while he was playing, not sure why that would change now that he's retired.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 03:29 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Chad should get in, but I think he gets hurt by the fact he really tailed off towards the end. People forget just how good he was for awhile. I used to think he was a shoe-in, but now I'm not so sure.

Corey should also get in, and if he does he should absolutely go in as a Bengal. His best year was as a Patriot but he was better for longer here. Unfortunately he did it for some really bad teams with nothing around him and no real spotlight on him nationally.

Willie deserves it but has no chance (IMO). He was always overlooked while he was playing, not sure why that would change now that he's retired.

He was a great WR. I doubt he gets in for a while though. 7 1000+ yard years. His max year was 10 TD's. 67 total receiving TD's for his career. Over 1300 yards 4 times.

Definitely some really good numbers. No playoff success hurts.

I'd really like to see Esiason make it!

Dillon deserves it too. Over 1100 yards 7 times. Had 1635 rushing yards for the Patriots. Over 12 TD's 3 times...all with Pats.
Reply/Quote
Corey Dillon
Chad Johnson
Willie Anderson

I don't think Chad gets in. He's 35th on the all-time receiving list with a lot of guys ahead of him who haven't been inducted yet. His dominant years of 2003-2007 were great but he needed more elite seasons than just those five IMO. He definitely deserves to be in a Bengals ROH though.

Dillon is probably deserving. He's 20th on the all-time rushing list with only 10 seasons of play. He's sandwiched between two HOFers Riggins and Simpson.

Boomer is interesting because he produced (very) well for his era, but will voters just compare him to what QBs are doing now? Heck, "meh" QBs like Joe Flacco and Matt Stafford have passed Boomer in yardage and approaching him in TD passes.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think Dillon is the best player on that list. Here is a ridiculous stat showing what Dillon had to deal with playing for the Bengals

2000 Bengals passing offense....456 plays....1946 yds....4.3 avg
2000 Corey Dillon production.....333 plays....1593 yds....4.8 avg
Reply/Quote
Corey Dillon
Chad Johnson
Willie Anderson

Kenny and a few other are always on the senior list

Lorenzo Neal... .is a HOF free agent.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 03:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't think Chad gets in. He's 35th on the all-time receiving list with a lot of guys ahead of him who haven't been inducted yet. His dominant years of 2003-2007 were great but he needed more elite seasons than just those five IMO. He definitely deserves to be in a Bengals ROH though.

Dillon is probably deserving. He's 20th on the all-time rushing list with only 10 seasons of play. He's sandwiched between two HOFers Riggins and Simpson.

Boomer is interesting because he produced (very) well for his era, but will voters just compare him to what QBs are doing now? Heck, "meh" QBs like Joe Flacco and Matt Stafford have passed Boomer in yardage and approaching him in TD passes.

I believe Chad was the first (and possibly still only) WR to lead the AFC in yardage 4 straight years. He didn't have a terribly long career compared to some, but his peak was brilliant. If he gets in, great, if he doesn't I get it. But guys have gotten in on far less credentials than Chad brings (Terrell Davis and Gayle Sayers come to mind). Note: I'm not discounting Gayle Sayers in any way shape or form. Had he played nowadays he'd of had a much longer career, and what he was when healthy was absolutely unreal.

Boomer has something over both Flacco and Stafford though, it's called an MVP award.

Corey should be in, period. What he did with what little he had to work with was neigh super-human. People get salty about the whole flipping burgers thing, and throwing his gear into the stands, and I get it. But that man put the offense on his back single-handed and carried them, he deserves his due in Canton. If people can forgive Palmer for quitting, they can forgive Corey for his transgressions in a FAR worse environment than Palmer ever endured.

Willie I'd love to see get in, but I must agree I just don't see it happening. He deserves it, but we've seen far too often with the HOF that deserving doesn't = getting in *COUGH* Dan Fouts in, Kenny not *COUGH*
Reply/Quote
None will even sniff the Hall of Fame. Bengals ( currently non-existent ) Ring of Honor is best they could hope for. Shame.
Reply/Quote
1. NFL doesn't have them go in for team; only baseball (and since Halladay didn't pick one, don't be surprised if that changes now).

2. Neal shouldn't be anywhere close; I did a little introspective on the mothership about him and his success coincides with good lines and HOF RBs.

When he was on shitty teams or had a shitty RB, he did dick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 08:12 PM)Ravage Wrote: I believe Chad was the first (and possibly still only) WR to lead the AFC in yardage 4 straight years. He didn't have a terribly long career compared to some, but his peak was brilliant. If he gets in, great, if he doesn't I get it. But guys have gotten in on far less credentials than Chad brings (Terrell Davis and Gayle Sayers come to mind). Note: I'm not discounting Gayle Sayers in any way shape or form. Had he played nowadays he'd of had a much longer career, and what he was when healthy was absolutely unreal.

Boomer has something over both Flacco and Stafford though, it's called an MVP award.

Corey should be in, period. What he did with what little he had to work with was neigh super-human. People get salty about the whole flipping burgers thing, and throwing his gear into the stands, and I get it. But that man put the offense on his back single-handed and carried them, he deserves his due in Canton. If people can forgive Palmer for quitting, they can forgive Corey for his transgressions in a FAR worse environment than Palmer ever endured.

Willie I'd love to see get in, but I must agree I just don't see it happening. He deserves it, but we've seen far too often with the HOF that deserving doesn't = getting in *COUGH* Dan Fouts in, Kenny not *COUGH*

I haven't looked it up, but something tells me that Antonio Brown has probably led the AFC in yardage 4 years in a row... If not more by now.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 03:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Boomer is interesting because he produced (very) well for his era, but will voters just compare him to what QBs are doing now? Heck, "meh" QBs like Joe Flacco and Matt Stafford have passed Boomer in yardage and approaching him in TD passes.

Boomer doesn't strike me as a HoF-caliber player. He was good enough when at his best, sure, but I don't think he showed that enough.

If you left Cincinnati and asked the average NFL fan to name QBs from the late 80s/early 90s, how many would they name before Boomer? Not saying that's fair, but it definitely matters.
Reply/Quote
Boomer had three winning seasons in the NFL out of 14. In those three seasons, the Bengals were #2 in rushing, ('86), #1 in rushing ('88) and #3 in rushing ('90). He had one .500 season with the Jets and 10 losing seasons.

Without a great running game, Boomer was a losing QB.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Boomer, Chad, Willie, Takeo and Justin should all go in as Bengals
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2019, 01:03 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Boomer had three winning seasons in the NFL out of 14. In those three seasons, the Bengals were #2 in rushing, ('86), #1 in rushing ('88) and #3 in rushing ('90). He had one .500 season with the Jets and 10 losing seasons.

Without a great running game, Boomer was a losing QB.

He had 4 winning seasons as a QB, you're forgetting 1997, he was 4-1 that year. Also, he had 2 .500 seasons, he was 7-7 in 1985.

(09-14-2019, 12:31 AM)NKURyan Wrote: Boomer doesn't strike me as a HoF-caliber player. He was good enough when at his best, sure, but I don't think he showed that enough.

If you left Cincinnati and asked the average NFL fan to name QBs from the late 80s/early 90s, how many would they name before Boomer? Not saying that's fair, but it definitely matters.

I think you're underestimating Boomer's national awareness level by the average fan. He was a big enough deal that he was pretty much a household name here in Chicago during his playing days. On top of that between MNF and CBS he's kept himself in a national spotlight after his career as well. 

I don't think Boomer's a sure-fire HOF caliber guy (if he was, he'd be in already), but of those late 80's/early 90's QB's that the average person would be able to name, most are already in. Montana, Marino, Elway, Aikman, Young, Moon, Kelly, Favre, Cunningham & maybe Simms. Of those only Cunningham & Simms aren't in. Looking at those that're even nominated this time around, and assuming they'll want at least one QB, it isn't' a spectacular list. Cunningham (maybe), Delhomme ( Hilarious ), Garcia (unlikely), Hostetler (no), Kreig (maybe, but unlikely), McNabb (maybe).

Boomer's a long-shot, to be sure. But it wouldn't surprise me either. That group of nominated QB's only has 1 MVP (Boomer) and 2 QB's that were All-Pro's (Boomer and Cunningham). Stats-wise, only Krieg had more TD's (261/247), 4th quarter comebacks (23/19) and passing yards (38,147/37,920) than Boomer did but he played 5 more seasons. Boomer leads all the nominees in game winning drives with 26, and left-handed TD passes ( Sarcasm ). If I were to guess on likelihood it'd be Cunningham first (dual threat gives him the edge), then Boomer and McNabb 2-3 (interchangeable), Kreig 4, Garcia 5, Hostetler 6, Delhomme 7.
(09-14-2019, 01:14 AM)Kingslayer Wrote: Boomer, Chad, Willie, Takeo and Justin should all go in as Bengals
Justin Smith's better known to the populace as a 49er. He went from a good, largely unknown nationally (surprise, surprise) DE with the Bengals to a 5x Pro Bowler and 1x All-Pro with the 49ers. Statistics-wise it's creepy how similar the splits are though, same exact number of seasons (7 each), and sacks (43.5 for each team), 52 more tackles as a Bengal (466/414), 12 more passed defended as a Bengal (21/9), but 9 more tackles for a loss as 49er (64/55) and 4 more forced fumbles (10/6) as a 49er.

Takeo's best seasons came as a Bengal (save for his 2nd year in Buffalo), but all his awards and accolades came as a member of the Bills (2x Pro Bowl, 1x All-Pro)
Reply/Quote
Number 5 alltime with 65 interceptions. Hard for me to take others seriously with the Rattler on the outside looking in.This during the run centric era.

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote