Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Athletes paid?
Anyone think college athletes should get paid in some manner? Or is it just a matter of time? Just posted this so none of our forums would be empty, but hey, it's a legit question.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think they could get paid some maybe... but I think most make money from commercials, etc.
Reply/Quote
I think free education, room and board is pretty good, but they should get a couple hundred dollars a month for entertainment/food coverage since they can't have jobs.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2015, 07:01 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think free education, room and board is pretty good, but they should get a couple hundred dollars a month for entertainment/food coverage since they can't have jobs.

I have no issue with them getting some sort of stipend, but the real issue is the NCAA saying they're the only ones allowed to make money off the students' image. Let the kids sell what they've earned if they want to. Let them do autograph sessions. That's the ridiculous part that is causing problems.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2015, 12:45 AM)milksheikh Wrote: I think they could get paid some maybe... but I think most make money from commercials, etc.

Nope, they can't make money in that manner. That's the big issues, really, is that they don't own their own image.

(05-14-2015, 07:01 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think free education, room and board is pretty good, but they should get a couple hundred dollars a month for entertainment/food coverage since they can't have jobs.

They do get that money. For one, the board part in room and board is money for food. For two, money spent on the big programs goes to entertainment items for the athletes in ways that are not reportable for the purposes of the NCAA. The school I work at isn't even BCS, but you'd be amazed the money spent on the football players.

Also, Title IX is a joke and is ignored at every Division I school.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

They can have summer jobs and the schools get them for the athletes. I was a D-1 football player and we got cash at various times throughout the year. These guys get plenty of money.... I can only imagine its grown.

They don't need paid, famlies don't need money for travel expenses to the tournament. And they should go back to sending each kid a check and making them write a check for their school.
Reply/Quote
I think the schools make millions off the players. I don't think they should pay them unless they graduate and after they are done.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2015, 09:26 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote:  I don't think they should pay them unless they graduate and after they are done.

That doesn't make any sense.  They need the money while they are broke college students, not after they have graduated and can get a job.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2015, 10:12 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote:   These guys get plenty of money....   

No they don't.  They get lots of good benefits, but the only time they really get any cash in hand is when they get travel checks for bowl games.  I knew some ball players at UT and they were often strapped for cash.
Reply/Quote
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25083726/players-about-to-get-paid-as-money-changes-game-in-college-athletics

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I believe less than a third of all D1 and 2 athletes get a full scholarship. What about the walk-ons paying $40,000 to have no time to work or take up an internship? Is it really unethical for those players to take a free bottle of water? Is the only right way do things is to keep all of the $7.3 billion ESPN paid just for the broadcasting rights to the 3 playoff football games a year from the players?

The term "student-athlete" was invented by NCAA lawyers in the 50's during a court case. A football players died during a game. The NCAA argued against covering the hospital bill by saying he was just a "student-athlete" and therefore they don't have the duty to account for risks players are put through with the games the NCAA sell tickets to. Athletes forfeit their right to benefit from their own name, image and likeness. I'm not sure how the NCAA has gotten away with literally owning other people.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote