Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Athlon Magazine Picks Bengals 3rd in AFC
....and out of all 16 AFC Teams rates Bengals at # 13. The magazine says players keep leaving from the team that made 5 straight play-offs. It says nothing Bengals are doing will mean a thing if the Offensive Line experiment blows up in their face.

Going through store, I took a look at it on Bengals. So if you see other magazines like this, just remember what Paul Brown use to say about them. " Every summer about this time these things come out saying who's going to finish where and who will win it all. It makes you wonder why we even play the season. I have noticed though that these things are more wrong than right every year, so I think we will go ahead and play the season. " - Paul Brown on these summer prediction magazines around 1972, give or take a year.

I do agree the offensive line was not addressed in free agency or draft very well. The O Line Coach and O Linemen have their work cut out rebuilding into a team unit in training camp and preseason for start of season. IF the O LINE comes together, Bengals will be one tough team. GO BENGALS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
After the draft our OL makes me feel like we have some flashy Ferrari's, Lamborghini's and Porsches parked around a trailer. Hope it all works out.
Reply/Quote
Too much is made of losing MLJ and Sanu. That is not why we went 6-9-1 last year.

I'd say it was 80% o-line, 10% lack of pass rush and 10% that the run game sucked. Throw in Eifert's injury somewhere as well.

It's easy (and lazy) to look at the outgoing players and correlate that to the drop off, but all the key players are still here.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 12:04 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Too much is made of losing MLJ and Sanu. That is not why we went 6-9-1 last year.

I'd say it was 80% o-line, 10% lack of pass rush and 10% that the run game sucked. Throw in Eifert's injury somewhere as well.

It's easy (and lazy) to look at the outgoing players and correlate that to the drop off, but all the key players are still here.

You forgot the nuge in there somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 12:04 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Too much is made of losing MLJ and Sanu. That is not why we went 6-9-1 last year.

I would place the blame more on losing coaches then on losing players. Losing the good and keeping the bad in the coaching ranks can not be helping things at all.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 12:04 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Too much is made of losing MLJ and Sanu. That is not why we went 6-9-1 last year.

Nugent cost us a couple games as well. 

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 12:18 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I would place the blame more on losing coaches then on losing players. Losing the good and keeping the bad in the coaching ranks can not be helping things at all.

Yep, this is what is taking its toll the most on the Bengals. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

So, 90% O=Line. ThumbsUp 

Paul A really has talent evaluation issues. Seems like we're really inconsistent with our Oline's level of play over the years. 2005 was one of the last really good years we had before they started letting CP9 get his head taken off. So many years our RB's have to make 3 people miss before they can get to the line of scrimmage.  2005 was the last year we finished in the top 10 in YDS/A. That was Rudi Johnson. Since then, we finished in the top 15 once (2014 at #12). We finished at #20 one year. Every other year we've finished in the bottom 12 or bottom 5 teams (#30 once, and dead last once), never top 20. That's pretty pathetic in yards per rushing attempt. Why is Alexander so highly regarded? He teaches good pass blocking technique? Maybe we should hire an assistant Oline coach to get these guys to run block.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
We'll just have to wait and see how this season comes out.  PA takes a ton of heat here and elsewhere, but if both Ced and Jake play lights out some of the criticism will fade, but it's still on these young men to go out there and prove themselves to the league and fans alike. 
It's really easy to try to lay all the blame at the feet of coaches, but coaches aren't the guys who are 22-30 years old out there putting it all on the line every Sunday afternoon. 
If, and a big IF the Oline plays great and protects Andy and clears holes for the backs they'll deserve a lot of credit and likewise so will the coaches.. 
Just because I can I'm still going to cling to my outlandish prediction of us celebrating 50 years with a super bowl victory.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

And the Nuge.  He was personally responsible for a couple losses.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 11:52 PM)TKUHL Wrote: After the draft our OL makes me feel like we have some flashy Ferrari's, Lamborghini's and Porsches parked around a trailer. Hope it all works out.

It's like I said at the end of Palmer's tenure here when the line was in shambles and they weren't doing much to fix it......"protecting" your multi million dollar investment at QB with these bums is like parking a Bugatti Veyron in the Detroit ghetto with the keys in the ignition.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 12:15 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: You forgot the nuge in there somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.....I was gonna say this....lol.

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 02:44 AM)Shady Wrote: So, 90% O=Line. ThumbsUp 

Paul A really has talent evaluation issues. Seems like we're really inconsistent with our Oline's level of play over the years. 2005 was one of the last really good years we had before they started letting CP9 get his head taken off. So many years our RB's have to make 3 people miss before they can get to the line of scrimmage.  2005 was the last year we finished in the top 10 in YDS/A. That was Rudi Johnson. Since then, we finished in the top 15 once (2014 at #12). We finished at #20 one year. Every other year we've finished in the bottom 12 or bottom 5 teams (#30 once, and dead last once), never top 20. That's pretty pathetic in yards per rushing attempt. Why is Alexander so highly regarded? He teaches good pass blocking technique? Maybe we should hire an assistant Oline coach to get these guys to run block.

Or just replace the dumbass...... Mellow

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 11:05 PM)kevin Wrote: ....and out of all 16 AFC Teams rates Bengals at # 13.   The magazine says players keep leaving from the team that made 5 straight play-offs.  It says nothing Bengals are doing will mean a thing if the Offensive Line experiment blows up in their face.

Going through store, I took a look at it on Bengals.  So if you see other magazines like this, just remember what Paul Brown use to say about them. " Every summer about this time these things come out saying who's going to finish where and who will win it all. It makes you wonder why we even play the season. I have noticed though that these things are more wrong than right every year, so I think we will go ahead and play the season. "  - Paul Brown on these summer prediction magazines around 1972, give or take a year.

I do agree the offensive line was not addressed in free agency or draft very well.  The O Line Coach and O Linemen have their work cut out rebuilding into a team unit in training camp and preseason for start of season.  IF the O LINE comes together, Bengals will be one tough team.  GO BENGALS.

Everyone thought the Bengals were going to be dead last in the AFC North, AFC, and NFL in 2011 after Carson Palmer's refusal to show and the trade of Chad. That ended up resulting in a playoff berth with a rookie QB and WR, so anything is possible. That's why you play the game.
While I agree that it didn't seem the Bengals did enough to give confidence in the OL, but maybe they impress (your move, PA). I can see this team being in the 5-10 win range this year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 09:14 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Everyone thought the Bengals were going to be dead last in the AFC North, AFC, and NFL in 2011 after Carson Palmer's refusal to show and the trade of Chad. That ended up resulting in a playoff berth with a rookie QB and WR, so anything is possible. That's why you play the game.
While I agree that it didn't seem the Bengals did enough to give confidence in the OL, but maybe they impress (your move, PA). I can see this team being in the 5-10 win range this year.

I think the Ravens are not a very good team anymore.  I see 2nd in the AFC North.  However, if the line plays like it did last year, 3rd isn't out of the realm of possibility....maybe even 4th if Hue can somehow get some decent QB play.

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 09:25 AM)Wyche Wrote: I think the Ravens are not a very good team anymore.  I see 2nd in the AFC North.  However, if the line plays like it did last year, 3rd isn't out of the realm of possibility....maybe even 4th if Hue can somehow get some decent QB play.

The Ravens are much more up-and-down compared to the Bengals. You never know with them. Although I do think the addition of Maclin helps their big glaring weakness (receivers). But with Pitta gone, it may be a wash.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Yeah, I'd put coaching in there somewhere. Keeping Nuge and OG starting when they clearly didn't have it cost us a few games. 

I'd say it's probably like 40% line 30% coaches and 20% pass rush and 10% injury. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 09:14 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Everyone thought the Bengals were going to be dead last in the AFC North, AFC, and NFL in 2011 after Carson Palmer's refusal to show and the trade of Chad. That ended up resulting in a playoff berth with a rookie QB and WR, so anything is possible. That's why you play the game.

This for me as well. They can be pretty good or bad.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 10:04 AM)ochocincos Wrote: The Ravens are much more up-and-down compared to the Bengals. You never know with them. Although I do think the addition of Maclin helps their big glaring weakness (receivers). But with Pitta gone, it may be a wash.

That's true.  I'm kinda basing my assertion on a dated cast....they aren't spring chickens at some important positions....though, Maclin will help, Pitta gone may make it a wash as you said.

Reply/Quote
Magazines take last years team and forecast how they'd do in the new season. The thing is, ALL teams are different. That's why preseason SOS is useless to look at.

I think we should be improved in the kicking game. That's going to help us.

Our offensive line looks like it got worse on paper losing it's 2 best players...BUT I'm hoping that maybe it can run block better.

Our passing game should be better with more speed and quality receivers. Our run game should be better.

Our linebackers should be faster and better. Our defensive line should be slightly better. Our secondary should be better with Jackson.

So, overall...on paper we've improved at a lot of positon groups. I know that draft picks generally don't contribute a lot in Year 1...but 2-3 should.

That said...I think the Steelers are better than us. We'll be playing for a wildcard.
Reply/Quote