Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atlanta Gym Bans Police/Military Members
Because they're mostly minorities that go there, and police make them uncomfortable, they're banned from joining. Military members, too.

Gotta love those inclusiveness/diversity double standards.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/atlanta-gym-bans-police-officers-military-from-joining/ar-AApL8Kn?OCID=ansmsnnews11
Quote:An Atlanta gym owner has banned police officers and military members from working out at his facility.

Jim Chambers put up a sign on the door of EAV Barbell Club that used an expletive to announce that police aren't welcome there. Chambers tells WXIA-TV that his gym has "had an explicitly stated 'No Cop' policy" since it opened. He says active members of the military also aren't eligible for membership.

The Atlanta Police Department tells the station that the policy wouldn't prevent them from responding to an emergency at the gym.

Chambers says he's taken the sign down due to its vulgarity, but plans to replace it with a clean version. He told the station that people who work out there are generally minorities who are uncomfortable with law enforcement.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
That sounds like a discrimination suit, waiting to happen..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
MLK would be so proud of them...
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(08-09-2017, 10:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That sounds like a discrimination suit, waiting to happen..

Not at all, police aren't a protected class. They have the right to refuse service as long as they refuse it to police of all ethnicity. Now is it in poor taste? Sure. Will it eventually become such a publicity nightmare they cave? Probably.
Your job isn't a protected class. I don't agree with it, but it's not much different from the local shop giving 15% to cops/military or my credit union only allowing people who have certain jobs to become members.

I imagine some people who think bakeries should be able to refuse service to gay people are upset with this.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(08-10-2017, 03:12 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Your job isn't a protected class. I don't agree with it, but it's not much different from the local shop giving 15% to cops/military or my credit union only allowing people who have certain jobs to become members.

I imagine some people who think bakeries should be able to refuse service to gay people are upset with this.

Sure, but what if they're a gay police officer? Are they allowed to block them because their job isn't protected, or are they not allowed to block them because their sexuality is protected?

(08-10-2017, 03:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sure, but what if they're a gay police officer? Are they allowed to block them because their job isn't protected, or are they not allowed to block them because their sexuality is protected?

Well, sexual orientation technically isn't protected unless a judge rules that it counts as sex based discrimination. It varies place to place based on existing legal precedent. There's no national legislation protecting you from sexual orientation or gender identity based discrimination in public accommodations, so some judges have been using existing language to do so.  

That said, it depends on why you are being denied membership. They can deny black cops memberships even though race is protected. 

They should just find a new gym. I am sure there are other local gyms who will fill that need
(08-10-2017, 03:30 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Well, sexual orientation technically isn't protected unless a judge rules that it counts as sex based discrimination. It varies place to place based on existing legal precedent. There's no national legislation protecting you from sexual orientation or gender identity based discrimination in public accommodations, so some judges have been using existing language to do so.  

That said, it depends on why you are being denied membership. They can deny black cops memberships even though race is protected. 

What if someone put up a sign that said "no rappers allowed" or "no NASCAR drivers" or "no hockey players" or "no golfers"? Would that be racist, or does the random exceptions like Eminem and Tiger Woods make it technically not racist? Lol

What about "no male olympic swimming medalists"? Would that make it racist since I don't think an African American male has ever won an olympic swimming medal. Half joking and half curious as to where the line gets drawn on when discrimination is okay or not.

(08-10-2017, 03:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I just find it funny that people who put up signs like "no police" are often the very people who would be out in the street protesting discrimination.

I agree

Quote:I think by pointing out that the majority of their members were minorities, which is why they don't want police or military (don't get the second one) makes it potentially racist.

Potentially. If it's a blanket ban, no matter race, not so much. If it's just white cops, then yea.

(08-10-2017, 03:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sure, but what if they're a gay police officer? Are they allowed to block them because their job isn't protected, or are they not allowed to block them because their sexuality is protected?

(08-10-2017, 03:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: What if someone put up a sign that said "no rappers allowed" or "no NASCAR drivers" or "no hockey players" or "no golfers"? Would that be racist, or does the random exceptions like Eminem and Tiger Woods make it technically not racist? Lol

What about "no male olympic swimming medalists"? Would that make it racist since I don't think an African American male has ever won an olympic swimming medal. Half joking and half curious as to where the line gets drawn on when discrimination is okay or not.

[Image: g1354929505634965251.jpg]

Smirk 

All seriousness aside there are more than just a few exceptions to most of those examples...but if any group wants to sue to fight such a ban I imagine it would be entertained seriously.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-09-2017, 09:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Because they're mostly minorities that go there, and police make them uncomfortable, they're banned from joining. Military members, too.

Gotta love those inclusiveness/diversity double standards.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/atlanta-gym-bans-police-officers-military-from-joining/ar-AApL8Kn?OCID=ansmsnnews11

There's nothing like advertising what would be "safe" places for criminals to commit crime.  Wink
[Image: giphy.gif]
(08-10-2017, 04:04 PM)PhilHos Wrote: There's nothing like advertising what would be "safe" places for criminals to commit crime.  Wink

I heard Ryan Braun, Alex Rodriguez, David Ortiz, Bryce Harper, Eric Thames, LaRon Landry, and the entirety of the Steelers, among others, all use(d) it to get a workout when they're in town to play the Braves or Falcons.   Ninja