Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attendance at PBS
(10-31-2018, 05:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ok, I'll bite...why am I a "numbskull" for being a consumer of the NFL?

EDIT:  Let's take the "you vs me" out of it and tell me why spending money on the NFL and its product is a dumb thing to do.

I didn't call you a numskull, I said that I am NOT one!  

I stopped contributing to ALL 3 sports after the 80s strikes.

I can be a fan without living and breathing the sport.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:30 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I didn't call you a numskull, I said that I am NOT one!  

Your statement indicates that you are not a numbskull because you don't contribute to NFL player salaries...it would be logical to assume that you'd consider people who DO contribute to be numbskulls.  It's not a given, but it seems to be a logical assumption based upon your argument.  

(10-31-2018, 05:30 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I didn't call you a numskull, I said that I am NOT one!  

Call me a skeptic, but I don't see how someone who is a regular poster on a specific franchise message board hasn't contributed a cent to any professional sport in the past 30+ years. I'm legitimately trying to understand your stance here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Do you watch the games or some games online or on TV?
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:34 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Do you watch the games or some games online or on TV?

No.  I go to the website (Bengals) AFTER the game.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Your statement indicates that you are not a numbskull because you don't contribute to NFL player salaries...it would be logical to assume that you'd consider people who DO contribute to be numbskulls.  It's not a given, but it seems to be a logical assumption based upon your argument.  

You know what happens when we 'assume' don't you Nately?
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:37 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: No.  I go to the website (Bengals) AFTER the game.

Er...so you haven't watched an NFL game in over 30 years?  Again, I'm not trying to be a smartass here, I've just never heard anyone make these sort of statements and it's intriguing to discuss.

(10-31-2018, 05:38 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: You know what happens when we 'assume' don't you Nately?

Well, when I assumed I followed it by politely asking you to be more transparent in your answers.  Only time will tell if it makes an ass out of you and/or me.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Er...so you haven't watched an NFL game in over 30 years?  Again, I'm not trying to be a smartass here, I've just never heard anyone make these sort of statements and it's intriguing to discuss.

I didn't say that.  I said I haven't contributed monetarily to the 3 sports.  I have gone to games and gotten memorabilia on someone else's dime, of course.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:37 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: No.  I go to the website (Bengals) AFTER the game.

So you contribute site traffic which the Bengals use to sell advertising.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Er...so you haven't watched an NFL game in over 30 years?  Again, I'm not trying to be a smartass here, I've just never heard anyone make these sort of statements and it's intriguing to discuss.

Well, when I assumed I followed it by politely asking you to be more transparent in your answers.  Only time will tell if it makes an ass out of you and/or me.

It can't possibly do that for me, because professional sports is not real high at all on my list of priorities.  I'm semi-retired so these forums are a way to keep myself amused.

I DO watch OSU and Florida games on follow them.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:40 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I didn't say that.  I said I haven't contributed monetarily to the 3 sports.  I have gone to games and gotten memorabilia on someone else's dime, of course.

I'm practically speechless that you derive so much self-satisfaction out of this procedure, but my hat is off to you.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:41 PM)Whatever Wrote: So you contribute site traffic which the Bengals use to sell advertising.

I pay to access the internet just like everybody else, but no money comes out of my pocket for the franchises.  
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm practically speechless that you derive so much self-satisfaction out of this procedure, but my hat is off to you.

..and to you too.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:45 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I pay to access the internet just like everybody else, but no money comes out of my pocket for the franchises.  

Why do you hate the idea of Andy Dalton being rewarded for his hard work?
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:46 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Why do you hate the idea of Andy Dalton being rewarded for his hard work?

It has nothing to do with what Andy Dalton or anybody else does.  It's a personal preference.  The 'market' drives these salaries.  I get all of that.  I've been around the block a few times.  I also get the public service folks are the ones in the trenches (teachers, police, firefighters, paramedics, veterans etc) I myself am a veteran.

I don't know much about the personal life of AD, but I would be willing to say that he gives a lot of money back to the needy and I think he's probably smart enough to be set for life and will not go bankrupt and provide nicely for his family.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:52 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: It has nothing to do with what Andy Dalton or anybody else does.  It's a personal preference.  The 'market' drives these salaries.  I get all of that.  I've been around the block a few times.  I also get the public service folks are the ones in the trenches (teachers, police, firefighters, paramedics, veterans etc) I myself am a veteran.

I don't know much about the personal life of AD, but I would be willing to say that he gives a lot of money back to the needy and I think he's probably smart enough to be set for life and will not go bankrupt and provide nicely for his family.

So in your mind the manner in which a man spends the money he earns retroactively decides how much he deserved to earn in the first place?  You seem to place emphasis on the "actual" value of the work people do and how they implement the money they earn.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:45 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I pay to access the internet just like everybody else, but no money comes out of my pocket for the franchises.  

You realize that this is virtually impossible given the dozens of coorporate sponsors that teams and leagues have?  If you've drunk a Pepsi or Annhuiser-Busch product or eaten at a McDonald's, Gold Star, or Papa John's, the Bengals have gotten your money.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:56 PM)Whatever Wrote: You realize that this is virtually impossible given the dozens of coorporate sponsors that teams and leagues have?  If you've drunk a Pepsi or Annhuiser-Busch product or eaten at a McDonald's, Gold Star, or Papa John's, the Bengals have gotten your money.

It's pizza hut now.  I just had to get that lunch buffet and tacitly support Mike Brown being the GM for 28 miserable years, didn't I?  Just haaaaaaaaaaaaaad to have all the pizza I could stuff in my face, didn't I?  Forgive me!
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:56 PM)Whatever Wrote: You realize that this is virtually impossible given the dozens of coorporate sponsors that teams and leagues have?  If you've drunk a Pepsi or Annhuiser-Busch product or eaten at a McDonald's, Gold Star, or Papa John's, the Bengals have gotten your money.

If they have a piece of that pie que sera sera Whatever.  AGAIN.  I do not pay, out of my pocket, to specifically get tickets, memorabilia, On Demand payments to watch them on TV.

Yes, I could still go to a bar/restaurant, order an iced tea for $1.50 and watch the Bengals every week, and still NOT BE 'paying' to watch them, as I could still go to that same bar/restaurant, and buy and eat dinner when they aren't playing.

Bottom line is, I would NOT be paying $25 for a seat to watch the games there.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 06:02 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Bottom line is, I would NOT be paying $25 for a seat to watch the games there.

$25?  Wow, you really haven't purchased a ticket to a sporting event in the past 30 years have you? 
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So in your mind the manner in which a man spends the money he earns retroactively decides how much he deserved to earn in the first place?  You seem to place emphasis on the "actual" value of the work people do and how they implement the money they earn.

This makes no sense to me.  I think you are overhearing me or overthinking this thing. 

I say the market drives the salaries. I am saying AD appears to have his priorities in order.  I am saying that what the folks do in the trenches has a strong impact on the lives of the many they come in contact with on a daily basis.
Reply/Quote