Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attendance drops
In an analysis, of the all teams in the 4 major sports, the Bengals ranked 7th in the largest attendance drop off over the last decade. Last year's attendance was 21.4% lower than it was 2008

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2019/07/09/sports-teams-running-out-of-fans-3/3/

7. Cincinnati Bengals
> Avg. home attendance change 2008-2018: -21.4%
> 2008 avg. home game attendance (pct. capacity): 64,582 (98.6%)
> 2008 record: 4-11-1

Cincinnati Bengals home games were almost completely full, on average, in 2008, even though the team won only four games all season after QB Carson Palmer missed most of the year with an elbow issue. Bengals fans regularly sold-out Paul Brown Stadium at the time, thanks to Palmer and head coach Marvin Lewis, who, in 2005, brought the Bengals their first playoff appearance in 15 years. Other than the Los Angeles Chargers, who played in the tiny StubHub Center, no team averaged fewer fans than the Cincinnati Bengals during the 2018 NFL season. The Bengals’ stadium was just 77.5% full on average for home games, the third lowest capacity in the NFL. Cincy posted a 6-10 record, dead last in the AFC North. Cincinnati’s attendance has been steadily declining since it last made the playoffs in 2015. The team is still seeking its first playoff win since 199

It is no secret what it will take to bring the fans back. Step 1 was removing Marvin. Step 2 is putting on a winning product with actual ability to win in the playoffs. Step 3 is to lower prices. Step 4 which is the most unlikely one....Mike Brown removes himself from any management of the team.

Oh, and the Reds were number 8 in the list, so it is official, Cincinnati professional sports suck

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 06:42 PM)pally Wrote: In an analysis, of the all teams in the 4 major sports, the Bengals ranked 7th in the largest attendance drop off over the last decade.  Last year's attendance was 21.4% lower than it was 2008

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2019/07/09/sports-teams-running-out-of-fans-3/3/

7. Cincinnati Bengals

Cincinnati Bengals home games were almost completely full, on average, in 2008, even though the team won only four games all season after QB Carson Palmer missed most of the year with an elbow issue. Bengals fans regularly sold-out Paul Brown Stadium at the time, thanks to Palmer and head coach Marvin Lewis, who, in 2005, brought the Bengals their first playoff appearance in 15 years.  Other than the Los Angeles Chargers, who played in the tiny StubHub Center, no team averaged fewer fans than the Cincinnati Bengals during the 2018 NFL season. The Bengals’ stadium was just 77.5% full on average for home games, the third lowest capacity in the NFL. Cincy posted a 6-10 record, dead last in the AFC North. Cincinnati’s attendance has been steadily declining since it last made the playoffs in 2015. The team is still seeking its first playoff win since 199

It is no secret what it will take to bring the fans back.   Step 1 was removing Marvin.  Step 2 is putting on a winning product with actual ability to win in the playoffs.  Step 3 is to lower prices.  Step 4 which is the most unlikely one....Mike Brown removes himself from any management of the team.

Oh, and the Reds were number 8 in the list, so it is official, Cincinnati professional sports suck

Fans had hope in 2008. Last season's team provided little of that.

And, when exactly is the team going to do Step 2 of your plan?

For me, Step 4 will need to happen before Step 2 will be accomplished. Twenty-eight years of Mike Brown tells its own story.

Marvin was the only HC who could manage a winning record under Mike Brown. Will newbie boy Taylor fair any better? jury is out.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 07:29 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Fans had hope in 2008. Last season's team provided little of that.

And, when exactly is the team going to do Step 2 of your plan?

For me, Step 4 will need to happen before Step 2 will be accomplished. Twenty-eight years of Mike Brown tells its own story.

Marvin was the only HC who could manage a winning record under Mike Brown. Will newbie boy Taylor fair any better? jury is out.

Yeah, time will tell and I'm happy to see a change for the sake of change, alone.  Still, "I'm not Marvin Lewis" had better not be the best thing ol' ZT brings to the table!
Reply/Quote
We need a Bobby Hart section of the stadium to get fans at the games!
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 09:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We need a Bobby Hart section of the stadium to get fans at the games!

You mean like admission to the stadium is free as long as you can get through a gate Bobby Hart is blocking?
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 11:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You mean like admission to the stadium is free as long as you can get through a gate Bobby Hart is blocking?

Hart seriously needs to live up to his contract after the team put on its "we stand behind Hart" show.

Reply/Quote
And yet the Hamilton County tax payers are paying out a cool billion to renovate the stadium for 8 games a year.. Personally I could care less if the stadium were only half full any given game. No skin off my ass.. The team isn't up to snuff. That's what happens.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 06:42 PM)pally Wrote: In an analysis, of the all teams in the 4 major sports, the Bengals ranked 7th in the largest attendance drop off over the last decade.  Last year's attendance was 21.4% lower than it was 2008

7. Cincinnati Bengals

Cincinnati Bengals home games were almost completely full, on average, in 2008, even though the team won only four games all season after QB Carson Palmer missed most of the year with an elbow issue. Bengals fans regularly sold-out Paul Brown Stadium at the time, thanks to Palmer and head coach Marvin Lewis, who, in 2005, brought the Bengals their first playoff appearance in 15 years.  Other than the Los Angeles Chargers, who played in the tiny StubHub Center, no team averaged fewer fans than the Cincinnati Bengals during the 2018 NFL season. The Bengals’ stadium was just 77.5% full on average for home games, the third lowest capacity in the NFL. Cincy posted a 6-10 record, dead last in the AFC North. Cincinnati’s attendance has been steadily declining since it last made the playoffs in 2015. The team is still seeking its first playoff win since 199

It is no secret what it will take to bring the fans back.   Step 1 was removing Marvin.  Step 2 is putting on a winning product with actual ability to win in the playoffs.  Step 3 is to lower prices.  Step 4 which is the most unlikely one....Mike Brown removes himself from any management of the team.

NFL as a whole has since attendance decline.. not a good sign overall
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2019, 01:44 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: NFL as a whole has since attendance decline.. not a good sign overall

True, but I would think overall attendance dropping around the NFL was politically motivated. The Bengals decline was due mostly because of those things already mentioned.

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2019, 07:19 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: True, but I would think overall attendance dropping around the NFL was politically motivated. The Bengals decline was due mostly because of those things already mentioned.

we have never really been good at filling the stadium here even during the better years we had blackouts
Reply/Quote

7. Cincinnati Bengals

2016-2018 has really been the cause for this downfall.
Both the Reds and Bengals have failed to have a winning season for 3+ years straight.
With FC Cincinnati coming to town in early 2017 and playing very well through 2018, some Reds and Bengals fans chose to watch the new fun team rather than drudge through another losing, uninspiring season with the Reds/Bengals.

Say what you will, but clearly a lot of fans prefer to not spend the extra money to attend a game in person if they don't have hope that the team will win. Especially when they can watch the games in HD in their own homes for much cheaper/free.

With that said, I think that 2019 might be the start to swing that pendulum the other way for both the Reds and Bengals. The Reds are the closest they've had to a winning season since 2014 and the Bengals have (somewhat) re-energized their fanbase with a new coaching staff.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The management and ownership needs to step out of the box they are in.

1. Need more access to other games on big screens throughout the stadium during our game or if 4:00 game prior to our game starting.
2. Wi-Fi still not reliable and need ability for fans to stream games from PBS wi-fi.
3. Concession prices are absurd, lower them, sell $2 hot dogs for example. The Falcons are an example of making concessions fan friendly.
4. Remove preseason games from season ticket price thus dropping season ticket pricing packaging. Have option for season ticket holders to but preseason games at 75% off with their package.

Of course, best way to fill the stands is to win and make playoffs.
I left costing the team a lot of money.

They call me monthly trying to get me to comeback, each time I tell them all of the things above are needed for me to comeback. I have up 4 seat licenses and 4 premium season ticket seats I had had since 2007, my nephew who was with me also gave up 2 seats and my daughter 2 seats.

The experience at home is great. I have my 120" high definition 4K big screen projector and I can stream games on my laptop. I save around $10K a year and still get to watch my favorite team, but if they are not playing well, I can turn the channel or go do something else.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2019, 07:19 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: True, but I would think overall attendance dropping around the NFL was politically motivated. The Bengals decline was due mostly because of those things already mentioned.

The Bengals were notably free of protest from players, so perhaps we should have seen an increase in fans and attendance if this were the case 
Reply/Quote
After 2010 the relationship between fans and owner became non existent. The Carson Palmer fiasco did a whole bunch of damage to this franchise as well as keeping Marvin past that season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2019, 12:19 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: After 2010 the relationship between fans and owner became non existent. The Carson Palmer fiasco did a whole bunch of damage to this franchise as well as keeping Marvin past that season.

That is interesting. I supported the handling (trade) of Palmer, I thought Palmer was at fault, over the hill and not the same 2005 version. He proved me right when he left, he never was close to elite again.

I did not know there was a fan ground swell supporting CP over MB and ML.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2019, 12:47 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: That is interesting. I supported the handling (trade) of Palmer, I thought Palmer was at fault, over the hill and not the same 2005 version. He proved me right when he left, he never was close to elite again.

I did not know there was a fan ground swell supporting CP over MB and ML.

Palmer was elite in 2015.  You don't have to like him, but he was a top 3 QB that year. 
Reply/Quote

For me it's always been about the cost of going. I really don't see enough of a benefit to pay the prices they charge to go in person vs watching on HD TV.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2019, 01:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Palmer was elite in 2015.  You don't have to like him, but he was a top 3 QB that year. 

So was Dalton until he was injured, same year. Palmer had 1 great year after he left in 8 or 9 years. How many playoff games did he win? How many Super Bowls did he lead his team to?

Same arguments others make against Dalton apply to Palmer. Palmer is retired, we know his career now. AD could play for 8 to 10 more years easily. we don't know his results as of yet.

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2019, 01:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Palmer was elite in 2015.  You don't have to like him, but he was a top 3 QB that year. 

That he was.
Nearly 64% completion percentage with 4671 yards, 35 TDs, only 11 INTs.
That's better than Dalton has ever had. Closest Dalton got to that would have been 2015 before his injury.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2019, 01:19 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So was Dalton until he was injured, same year. Palmer had 1 great year after he left in 8 or 9 years. How many playoff games did he win? How many Super Bowls did he lead his team to?

Same arguments others make against Dalton apply to Palmer. Palmer is retired, we know his career now. AD could play for 8 to 10 more years easily. we don't know his results as of yet.

You said Palmer was never close to elite after he left here and I just pointed out that he was elite in 2015.  Now that you've admitted he had 1 great year after he left here my point has been made.  There is no need to pretend that I turned this into a Palmer vs Dalton argument.

(07-12-2019, 01:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That he was.
Nearly 64% completion percentage with 4671 yards, 35 TDs, only 11 INTs.
That's better than Dalton has ever had. Closest Dalton got to that would have been 2015 before his injury.

Again, I don't mean to start a Palmer vs Dalton debate just by pointing out that Palmer didn't leave here and then turn into Blaine Gabbert.  Personally, I've found that the Bengals having QBs in Palmer and Dalton here for what amounts to 15 years and still failing to win a playoff game substantiates our criticisms of the front office.
Reply/Quote