Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attendance drops
(07-12-2019, 07:19 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: True, but I would think overall attendance dropping around the NFL was politically motivated. 

Had zero to do with politics.  It was all about the home experience becoming better and the stadium price going up.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2019, 04:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Had zero to do with politics.  It was all about the home experience becoming better and the stadium price going up.

This is my take, as well.  You can look at a half-empty (or half-full, if that's your bag) stadium and apply your own chosen logic to it.  I agree with  NFL gameday pricing itself into being far more of a luxury purchase than huge stadiums of people can afford on a regular basis.  However, there are some more amusing agendas you can use to explain the half-empty stadium:

1.  too much player politics
2.  the Bengals drafted a woman-beater
3.  people are sick of Mike Brown
4.  people were sick of Marvin, and aren't sold on Taylor yet
5.  a redhaired QB is weird
6.  the Bengals are moving to LA/London/San Antonio/Intercourse PA next year, anyways
7. we had 3 losing seasons in a row
8. the cheerleaders are underpaid
9. seeing so many men in tiger costumes is too similar to a furry orgy
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2019, 01:44 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: NFL as a whole has since attendance decline.. not a good sign overall

Stadium attendance is down, but home viewership is up.

I would much rather watch at home than go to the stadium. As long as the politicians keep subsidizing these stadiums with tax payer money the owners are less reliant on ticket sales.

Since 2017, I don't even pay for NFL Sunday Ticket to watch the Bengals out of market.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2019, 07:13 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Stadium attendance is down, but home viewership is up.

I would much rather watch at home than go to the stadium. As long as the politicians keep subsidizing these stadiums with tax payer money the owners are less reliant on ticket sales.

Since 2017, I don't even pay for NFL Sunday Ticket to watch the Bengals out of market.

I don't think viewership is up, based on things I have read. The NFL lost a lot of fans when NFL botched the flag controversy. 

Do you have a link to share viewership is up in last 3 years?

I agree about watching at home. As far as owners, they make much more from TV money than from ticket revenue.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2019, 12:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The Bengals were notably free of protest from players, so perhaps we should have seen an increase in fans and attendance if this were the case 

Yes they were. Which is why it was mostly product on the field and status quo.

(07-12-2019, 01:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: For me it's always been about the cost of going. I really don't see enough of a benefit to pay the prices they charge to go in person vs watching on HD TV.

For me it was about cost and product. I loved the Bengals but was not longer paying for season tickets to line a teams pockets that seemingly didnt give a rats butt about me.

(07-12-2019, 04:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Had zero to do with politics.  It was all about the home experience becoming better and the stadium price going up.

100% wrong! Some people, regardless of team, gave up on football due to the protests because the NFL was allowing it and was not making a stand. They made their stand too little too late which is why some never came back. 

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 06:42 PM)pally Wrote: In an analysis, of the all teams in the 4 major sports, the Bengals ranked 7th in the largest attendance drop off over the last decade.  Last year's attendance was 21.4% lower than it was 2008

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2019/07/09/sports-teams-running-out-of-fans-3/3/

7. Cincinnati Bengals
> Avg. home attendance change 2008-2018: -21.4%
> 2008 avg. home game attendance (pct. capacity): 64,582 (98.6%)
> 2008 record: 4-11-1

Cincinnati Bengals home games were almost completely full, on average, in 2008, even though the team won only four games all season after QB Carson Palmer missed most of the year with an elbow issue. Bengals fans regularly sold-out Paul Brown Stadium at the time, thanks to Palmer and head coach Marvin Lewis, who, in 2005, brought the Bengals their first playoff appearance in 15 years.  Other than the Los Angeles Chargers, who played in the tiny StubHub Center, no team averaged fewer fans than the Cincinnati Bengals during the 2018 NFL season. The Bengals’ stadium was just 77.5% full on average for home games, the third lowest capacity in the NFL. Cincy posted a 6-10 record, dead last in the AFC North. Cincinnati’s attendance has been steadily declining since it last made the playoffs in 2015. The team is still seeking its first playoff win since 199

It is no secret what it will take to bring the fans back.   Step 1 was removing Marvin.  Step 2 is putting on a winning product with actual ability to win in the playoffs.  Step 3 is to lower prices.  Step 4 which is the most unlikely one....Mike Brown removes himself from any management of the team.

Oh, and the Reds were number 8 in the list, so it is official, Cincinnati professional sports suck

They have to be one of the lowest ticket prices in the league.  They also have the 10 games for $200 package now.  Money isn't the problem.

Plus, even though I had a number of reasons for letting my tickets go (divorce, my dad's knee, can't get a penny for tix if you can't go), with no blackout dates I don't miss going at all.  There were some pretty amazing memories there, but the drunk bhole fans (from both teams), the cold weather, and the way HDTV is now, I honestly don't miss attending the games at all.  We get a really nice meal, pour a few drinks, and enjoy it on a 70" TV.  Only thing that sucks is the announcers who never know a thing about our team, but you can try to sync up Lap and Dan.  
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2019, 12:47 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: That is interesting. I supported the handling (trade) of Palmer, I thought Palmer was at fault, over the hill and not the same 2005 version. He proved me right when he left, he never was close to elite again.

I did not know there was a fan ground swell supporting CP over MB and ML.

I don't think it was such a support for Palmer as it was just a cloud over the whole organization. People were worried we were going to lose a franchise QB for nothing. At the end of the day it worked out for Brown but it annoyed a lot of people.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2019, 12:00 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I don't think it was such a support for Palmer as it was just a cloud over the whole organization. People were worried we were going to lose a franchise QB for nothing. At the end of the day it worked out for Brown but it annoyed a lot of people.

I actually think the Palmer thing made Brown look like a genius. The Raiders got screwed on that trade, but, they thought they were going to get the Palmer of 2005-2009 (or 2015). They shipped him off to the Cardinals for nothing and the Cardinals did pretty decent with him. Like him or not, Palmer has the 12th most passing yards and TD's in NFL history. I think if he got the Tommy John surgery he would have had less interceptions. TJ surgery would have made him stronger, albeit a longer recovery. He was trying to thread the ball between defenders but with less zip than he normally had. We all remember how many pick-6's he threw. 
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2019, 01:19 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So was Dalton until he was injured, same year. Palmer had 1 great year after he left in 8 or 9 years. How many playoff games did he win? How many Super Bowls did he lead his team to?

Same arguments others make against Dalton apply to Palmer. Palmer is retired, we know his career now. AD could play for 8 to 10 more years easily. we don't know his results as of yet.

You made it a point to say he proved you right and was never elite after he left, as if you had made some prophetic claim that he would never do anything. 

He did. Your post was wrong.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2019, 12:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You made it a point to say he proved you right and was never elite after he left, as if you had made some prophetic claim that he would never do anything. 

He did. Your post was wrong.

OK

I did not know we were in a pissing contest

But, yes my statement was technically incorrect, he has 1 great year after leaving the Bengals out of 7 or 8.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2019, 12:49 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: OK

I did not know we were in a pissing contest

But, yes my statement was technically incorrect, he has 1 great year after leaving the Bengals out of 8 or 9.

Well, it's not so much the 0 or 1. It's the "proved me right". 

If you're gonna add that, you might want to be...right. Wink

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2019, 12:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Well, it's not so much the 0 or 1. It's the "proved me right". 

If you're gonna add that, you might want to be...right. Wink

TY for policing the board, we are so impressed.

Yes, definitely time for camp and season to start.

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2019, 12:53 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: TY for policing the board, we are so impressed.

Yes, definitely time for camp and season to start.

Well, if you don't want to get called out for using the "proved me right"...don't use the 'proved me right' when it didn't. 

ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2019, 12:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Well, if you don't want to get called out for using the "proved me right"...don't use the 'proved me right' when it didn't. 

ThumbsUp

ThumbsUp 

Like I said, OK. You can move on to trolling others now

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2019, 12:58 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: ThumbsUp 

Like I said, OK. You can move on to trolling others now

Sweet. 

Quick word to the wise. Be careful about trying to make yourself look good on a message board. Others are watching. 

Reply/Quote
I read in an article written about the league trying to make the season 18 games instead of 16, which of course the NFLPA is blocking it. In the article it mentioned the league might possibly make 1 billion dollars next year. I understand the league is a business and wants to make money, but man fans pay a hellova price for a few hours of football. I wont break it all down on how expensive it is because we've already been down that road in several threads. But it would be nice for the NFL to make it an affordable day.

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2019, 01:26 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I read in an article written about the league trying to make the season 18 games instead of 16, which of course the NFLPA is blocking it. In the article it mentioned the league might possibly make 1 billion dollars next year. I understand the league is a business and wants to make money, but man fans pay a hellova price for a few hours of football. I wont break it all down on how expensive it is because we've already been down that road in several threads. But it would be nice for the NFL to make it an affordable day.

Either NFL stadiums should be smaller or people need to go back to working hard so they can have more money, by cracky!
Reply/Quote
I've noticed when I've been to live sports events, i get very, very distracted specially when i sit back, up in the stands. I prefer watching from home, replay is awesome plus u get commentary and up close shots.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2019, 01:26 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I read in an article written about the league trying to make the season 18 games instead of 16, which of course the NFLPA is blocking it. In the article it mentioned the league might possibly make 1 billion dollars next year. I understand the league is a business and wants to make money, but man fans pay a hellova price for a few hours of football. I wont break it all down on how expensive it is because we've already been down that road in several threads. But it would be nice for the NFL to make it an affordable day.

Fans now pay for 2 preseason game and 8 regular season. I would hope they would reduce preseason games to 2. I think a season ticket holder would much rather pay same price (that is the key) for 9 regular season games and 1 preseason games versus current 8 and 2.

I agree also teams like the Bengals in down years need to look at it all, affordable parking, less expensive concession prices and creating an at home feel in the stadium.

Reply/Quote
I agree with the price gouging, cold weather, aggressive drunk fans, parking/traffic, etc.

But there is no replacement for watching football live.

The controlled chaos that takes place amidst the violent sounds of helmets and pads crashing, cannot be felt through TV.

The sound of MLB barking out the defense and the QB the offense - the beauty of the play setup, can't be felt at home.

Lastly, you feel the confidence and momentum shifts when you see it live.
Reply/Quote