Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attorney: 'Busty' teen kicked out of class for wearing this outfit
(09-14-2017, 12:51 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: Also.....

What?

I know, right? Just a slap in the face for guys like me who got kicked out because shorts were too short. Smaller men could get away with it, they said.   Ninja Ninja Ninja

(09-14-2017, 01:01 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's actually a common critique of dress code issues in school, is that it is very anti-feminine in its creation and application. One thing some people will say continuing on from that is that it is derived from an attitude that women should not bother with education and their place is in the home.

Not that I agree with their assessment, though I do agree that most school dress codes are more unfair to young women than young men, but yeah.

And in return they get an entire adulthood where their version of dressing up is bullshit-easy, while guys are wearing suits.

"Oh, you are wearing a long sweater-dress thing and some leggings? That's cool, excuse me while I put on pants and button up my collar on my long sleeve shirt regardless of how hot it is, tie my tie, and put on my jacket. Have you seen my cufflinks?"

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(09-14-2017, 03:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And in return they get an entire adulthood where their version of dressing up is bullshit-easy, while guys are wearing suits.

"Oh, you are wearing a long sweater-dress thing and some leggings? That's cool, excuse me while I put on pants and button up my collar on my long sleeve shirt regardless of how hot it is, tie my tie, and put on my jacket. Have you seen my cufflinks?"

See, I don't see that as the same sartorial level as a suit, though. But, I am notoriously horrible for understanding clothing levels for women. Like, what would a polo and chinos equate to for a woman? Collared shirt and slacks? Add the tie, maybe just the sport coat or blazer? I don't know how that all translates to women's clothing. That shit is too complicated.
(09-14-2017, 03:36 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Pat touched on this a good bit. For the most part, the clothing for young men is only an issue if the content is offensive or promoting illegal activity (or in some areas if there are gang concerns). The dress code for young women, however, is often much more restrictive on what they can and cannot wear. There are critiques that say that this is due to the notion that it is the role of the woman to not distract the man and that is why this is done that way and it prevents young women from expressing their femininity.

All I'm going to say is the social sciences are a good time. LOL

Let's be honest though, women have more clothing choices than men (and, yes, that includes girls and boys). Guys have pants or shorts. Ladies have that, but have dresses and skirts as well. There's more examples, but I think you get my point.

That's not to say that some dress code policies aren't fair to both genders, I would argue that a truly fair dress code will actually seem unfair to women because of the choices they have.

With that said, is it me? Or does it not seem like it's WOMEN that are more vocal and public in their critique of the way other women dress?
[Image: giphy.gif]
(09-14-2017, 03:45 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Ozzy or Dio?

Throw back Ozzy, but we're talking 1995 or so... so during the Dio years.

[Image: why-cant-we-have-both.jpg]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-14-2017, 04:38 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Let's be honest though, women have more clothing choices than men (and, yes, that includes girls and boys). Guys have pants or shorts. Ladies have that, but have dresses and skirts as well. There's more examples, but I think you get my point.

That's not to say that some dress code policies aren't fair to both genders, I would argue that a truly fair dress code will actually seem unfair to women because of the choices they have.

With that said, is it me? Or does it not seem like it's WOMEN that are more vocal and public in their critique of the way other women dress?

Only because those horrible Scottiphobes in society refuse to let kilts become mainstream clothing. So many people fighting for burkas or yoga pants being commonly accepted, but do you see anyone fighting for kilts? Nooooooooo.  Ninja

(09-14-2017, 04:38 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Let's be honest though, women have more clothing choices than men (and, yes, that includes girls and boys). Guys have pants or shorts. Ladies have that, but have dresses and skirts as well. There's more examples, but I think you get my point.

Same reason man-skirts will never be a thing.  Men won't allow other men to be comfortable because they don't want to dress that way.

Also, I refuse to wear a tie.

I've told the kids I will wear one for their weddings...that's it.

My wife knows to not even bury with that noose around my neck.

Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-14-2017, 03:29 PM)Au165 Wrote: Do they have turtle neck only policies?

No. It's just no plunging neck.
(09-14-2017, 05:15 PM)GMDino Wrote: Same reason man-skirts will never be a thing.  Men won't allow other men to be comfortable because they don't want to dress that way.

Also, I refuse to wear a tie.

I've told the kids I will wear one for their weddings...that's it.

My wife knows to not even bury with that noose around my neck.

Smirk

I'm 100% convinced that is why younger people aren't allowed to wear suspenders anymore even though they are so vastly superior to belts.

I literally bought a 3-piece suit just so I could wear suspenders under the vest.

When I become middle aged, I am probably just going to say F it and wear them normally too.

(09-14-2017, 02:56 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I don't know any district where that collar would be an issue. There's no cleavage exposed. 

It would also be a poor use of the administrative team to walk around and police trivial policies. 

Dress codes are a poor policy. If you do not trust parents to dress children appropriately then choose a uniform and make everyone buy them.
(09-14-2017, 05:21 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Dress codes are a poor policy.   If you do not trust parents to dress children appropriately then choose a uniform and make everyone buy them.

Well that is possibly one of the most logical and easy to agree with statements I have ever seen you write.
(09-14-2017, 04:39 PM)Benton Wrote: Throw back Ozzy, but we're talking 1995 or so... so during the Dio years.

[Image: why-cant-we-have-both.jpg]

Rock On
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-14-2017, 05:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: Well that is possibly one of the most logical and easy to agree with statements I have ever seen you write.

Every school should have a uniform and quite honestly it should not be co-ed. I am sure you won't agree with boys schools and girls schools but in my experience it makes a huge difference.

The quality of student performance would be so much better.
(09-14-2017, 05:43 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Every school should have a uniform and quite honestly it should not be co-ed.  I am sure you won't agree with boys schools and girls schools but in my experience it makes a huge difference.  

The quality of student performance would be so much better.

Welp we were so close, but now back to normal.
Raise your hand if you looked at that girl's boobs on purpose? Thats what I thought ya buncha pervs.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(09-14-2017, 05:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Only because those horrible Scottiphobes in society refuse to let kilts become mainstream clothing. So many people fighting for burkas or yoga pants being commonly accepted, but do you see anyone fighting for kilts? Nooooooooo.  Ninja

I was actually shopping for Kilts, last week.  I'm thinking of trying Highland Games, heavy athletics.  However, not sure that I would just wear it around town.  Most likely my wife would be enraged with all of the other women trying to get a gander at what I keep under it.  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(09-14-2017, 02:58 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: to contribute to the other conversation here, the dress code polices what girls wear more so than what boys wear. A boy can wear short shorts and no get in trouble. They can wear any type of tank without issue. For the most part, the content of their shirts is the only thing policed.

(09-14-2017, 03:36 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Pat touched on this a good bit. For the most part, the clothing for young men is only an issue if the content is offensive or promoting illegal activity (or in some areas if there are gang concerns). The dress code for young women, however, is often much more restrictive on what they can and cannot wear. There are critiques that say that this is due to the notion that it is the role of the woman to not distract the man and that is why this is done that way and it prevents young women from expressing their femininity.

All I'm going to say is the social sciences are a good time. LOL

Well see, I feel that part of the problem is there is a lot of generalization that goes around when it comes to this topic. By generalizations I mean it's usually talked about as "all schools" or "most schools" or "Guys never get talked to", but I think we should take a step back here for a second.

Couple of things in relation to the story that started this thread.

1. We don't know how much of the story is true.

2. Even if it is true, what the teacher says doesn't necessarily reflect school policy.

I personally don't feel school dress code is anti-feminine. Women naturally have more to cover up than men do. It's just true. Men don't have boobs so they don't need to worry about covering up there boobs. Put two penises on a guys chest and I'm more than 100% certain he would have to cover that up. But all men have are flat chests and therefore have to use far less effort than a woman to cover their chest up.

I don't know any school that allows guys to walk around with their chests out, they must wear a shirt. Women just have the added bonus of covering up their hilly terrain, it doesn't mean it's anti-feminine.

When I was in grade school there were a couple of times where I got talked to about the things that I was wearing. One instance was when I came to school with a basketball jersey on with no shirt underneath. What happened? I was told I was showing too much skin and they made me go home and put an undershirt on underneath.

I personally feel this isn't about being against women, it's about showing too much in public schools whether you're male or female. Women disproportionately get talked to more about how they dress because they tend to push the boundaries of what's wearable in public. Men just put on jeans and a shirt.
(09-14-2017, 07:28 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Raise your hand if you looked at that girl's boobs on purpose? Thats what I thought ya buncha pervs.

Well, it's relevant to the story... soooo. 

(09-14-2017, 08:26 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: Well see, I feel that part of the problem is there is a lot of generalization that goes around when it comes to this topic. By generalizations I mean it's usually talked about as "all schools" or "most schools" or "Guys never get talked to", but I think we should take a step back here for a second.

2. Even if it is true, what the teacher says doesn't necessarily reflect school policy.

I personally don't feel school dress code is anti-feminine. Women naturally have more to cover up than men do. It's just true. Men don't have boobs so they don't need to worry about covering up there boobs. Put two penises on a guys chest and I'm more than 100% certain he would have to cover that up. But all men have are flat chests and therefore have to use far less effort than a woman to cover their chest up.

I don't know any school that allows guys to walk around with their chests out, they must wear a shirt.  

Do you know of any schools that let guys walk around with their dongs out?

Mellow

I can't imagine telling my son "Dude, you're showing too much dong. Change into some longer shorts."
(09-14-2017, 08:40 PM)Benton Wrote: Well, it's relevant to the story... soooo. 

Mellow

I can't imagine telling my son "Dude, you're showing too much dong. Change into some longer shorts."

But, you certainly would be a proud papa, if you did have to have that talk.  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(09-14-2017, 08:40 PM)Benton Wrote: Well, it's relevant to the story... soooo. 

Mellow

Well I mean there were a lot of dongs in the locker room. Too many dongs.
(09-14-2017, 08:26 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: Well see, I feel that part of the problem is there is a lot of generalization that goes around when it comes to this topic. By generalizations I mean it's usually talked about as "all schools" or "most schools" or "Guys never get talked to", but I think we should take a step back here for a second.

I don't know any school that allows guys to walk around with their chests out, they must wear a shirt. Women just have the added bonus of covering up their hilly terrain, it doesn't mean it's anti-feminine.

When I was in grade school there were a couple of times where I got talked to about the things that I was wearing. One instance was when I came to school with a basketball jersey on with no shirt underneath. What happened? I was told I was showing too much skin and they made me go home and put an undershirt on underneath.

I personally feel this isn't about being against women, it's about showing too much in public schools whether you're male or female. Women disproportionately get talked to more about how they dress because they tend to push the boundaries of what's wearable in public. Men just put on jeans and a shirt.

I can only speak for the policies at the schools I have attended and worked at, but a lot of these policies are universal. Stories like this, however, are not, and I agree that we only have part of the story. Schools usually can't comment on 90% of what happens. I said the teacher should be reprimanded and I said so because I can't believe the actual policy would restrict the student's clothes, this is just it being incorrectly enforced. 

But just speaking from experience, if a girl gets reprimanded, it's for the amount of skin shown, but for a boy it's for the content of his attire. Boys don't have short length or strap width requirements. Like I said, cleavage is totally different. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]