Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attorney: 'Busty' teen kicked out of class for wearing this outfit
(09-17-2017, 03:39 PM)GMDino Wrote: Why would a "libertarian" want the school district deciding what is best for their children?

Because school is for learning. Not a time to single each other out with bob academic or athletic pursuits.

And a school is already deciding by formulating a dress code.

Not sure why you mention libertarian we are talking about a dress code policy in a government school.
(09-17-2017, 09:24 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Because school is for learning.   Not a time to single each other out with bob academic or athletic pursuits.  

And a school is already deciding by formulating a dress code.  

Not sure why you mention libertarian we are talking about a dress code policy in a government school.

One can learn wearing bib overalls or a bikini.

I just assumed someone who wanted the government out of their lives wouldn't want some elected board deciding what their children can and cannot wear.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-16-2017, 11:34 AM)GMDino Wrote: Except it's not the parents...it's some school official trying to make a single rule to cover all things in multiple schools based on....uh....skin?

If PARENTS want to enforce their own dress codes more power to them.

If some parent says they won't let their son go to a school dance because some girl might have a dress on that does NOT go to at least her fingertips when held at her side then that is on them.

Otherwise it's just more puritanical BS from the schools.

I was under the impression that dress codes were decided upon by the PTA/school meetings where parents participate.

At least I didn't think they're decided upon by a single school official. Are you sure that's the case?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(09-18-2017, 11:36 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I was under the impression that dress codes were decided upon by the PTA/school meetings where parents participate.

At least I didn't think they're decided upon by a single school official. Are you sure that's the case?

In my experience (Catholic school for me / public school for my children) the parents did not have a say.

It was a policy passed by the school board/diocese.
(09-18-2017, 11:36 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I was under the impression that dress codes were decided upon by the PTA/school meetings where parents participate.

Most districts, and many private schools, that would have to be a board level decision. The PTA can't really make any decisions like that. In public schools, SBDM councils can suggest it, but it would still be up to a board to decide.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Anything more on this story?

My mom was a 5th-6th grade teacher, retired now. She told me that one time one of her students, a girl, went home and cried to her grandmother who was babysitting. She said my mom held up her test that she did bad on to the class, and everyone started laughing at her. The girl's parents were in Paris on a business trip or something, and the next day the girl's mom called the school raising all sorts of shit about it.

Principal went to my mom and questioned her, and my mom denied it happened because it didnt. Then the principal pulled some students to the side and asked them, and they all said that nothing happened like that or anything at all. Then some students said on the busride home kids were making fun of her or poking fun because she somehow brought it up that she failed the test.

Basically that little precious darling lied straight up about something that could have got my mom in trouble. And even after the principal called her parents telling them that nothing did happen after talking to other students, her mom and dad never called in to apologize over it.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Clickbait!

I read the title and then I was compelled to look. Ninja
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(09-17-2017, 09:26 PM)GMDino Wrote: One can learn wearing bib overalls or a bikini.

I just assumed someone who wanted the government out of their lives wouldn't want some elected board deciding what their children can and cannot wear.

Trying to tie big government to a dress code is a reach.

Dress codes are imposed in many private establishments and places of business by those appointed to do so for whatever reason deemed necessary.
Public schools are no different.
(09-19-2017, 10:28 AM)Vlad Wrote: Trying to tie big government to a dress code is a reach.

Dress codes are imposed in many private establishments and places of business by those appointed to do so for whatever reason deemed necessary.

ThumbsUp
[Image: 636409036626289137-Anderson.jpg]

Eh...much ado about nothing really.

A near camel toe perhaps, but not quite there.
(09-19-2017, 10:28 AM)Vlad Wrote: Trying to tie big government to a dress code is a reach.

Sure they are.

You work at will. If working for Acme Inc requires you to wear a suit, but you don't want to, then you have the option to leave.

Education is compulsory. The homeschooling option isn't one available to everyone, and it still has the issue of paying (in most locations) twice for education.

I'm not necessarily opposed to dress codes in schools. I'm not necessarily in favor of them, either. But end of the day, it's completely a governmental body (normally a school board) telling their population how they have to dress.
(09-19-2017, 10:30 AM)GMDino Wrote: ThumbsUp

Wow, didn't think you could have extended that reach.
Or maybe you just missed the point. A mandated dress code whether private or public is irrelevant was my point.

Is the IRS or FBI requiring employees adhere to a dress code also big government overreach?

Hmm

Yes of course it is Dino.
(09-19-2017, 11:04 AM)Vlad Wrote: Wow, didn't think you could have extended that reach.
Or maybe you just missed the point. A mandated dress code whether private or public is irrelevant was my point.

Is the IRS or FBI requiring employees adhere to a dress code also big government overreach?

Hmm

A private company with a dress code is completely different than an elected official (school board) telling someone else's child how to dress.

private.

public.

The students are not "employees" of the school.  And they have little to no choice about being there.

"We want government out of our lives!  Also we want some school board to tell us how to dress our kids!!!"
(09-19-2017, 11:04 AM)Vlad Wrote: Wow, didn't think you could have extended that reach.

Hmm

Perhaps you missed the point. Dino's comment was in response to a self-proclaimed Libertarian (who support personal liberty) supporting segregated, single sex school systems with a uniform policy. Do you detect any sort of contradiction with that stance?

Single sex schools and uniforms are kinda the opposite of liberty.
(09-19-2017, 10:45 AM)Benton Wrote: Sure they are.

You work at will. If working for Acme Inc requires you to wear a suit, but you don't want to, then you have the option to leave.

Education is compulsory. The homeschooling option isn't one available to everyone, and it still has the issue of paying (in most locations) twice for education.

I'm not necessarily opposed to dress codes in schools. I'm not necessarily in favor of them, either. But end of the day, it's completely a governmental body (normally a school board) telling their population how they have to dress.

Absolutely, not wanting to comply with a dress code in a public school system doesn't offer the advantage of just quitting as other public or private organizations.

But the fact that a student just cant just up and leave is unrelated to the notion that a dress code is some sort of big government overreach. It is not.
(09-19-2017, 11:38 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Perhaps you missed the point. Dino's comment was in response to a self-proclaimed Libertarian (who support personal liberty) supporting segregated, single sex school systems with a uniform policy. Do you detect any sort of contradiction with that stance?

Single sex schools and uniforms are kinda the opposite of liberty.

Not really.  They already make children go to school, and tell them where to go so dividing up the student body according to sex really isn't any different.  You of course can eliminate where and with whom by going private, but you still have to go.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-19-2017, 11:43 AM)Vlad Wrote: Absolutely, not wanting to comply with a dress code in a public school system doesn't offer the advantage of just quitting as other public or private organizations.

But the fact that a student just cant just up and leave is unrelated to the notion that a dress code is some sort of big government overreach. It is not.

ThumbsUp
(09-19-2017, 11:44 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Not really.  They already make children go to school, and tell them where to go so dividing up the student body according to sex really isn't any different.  You of course can eliminate where and with whom by going private, but you still have to go.

If I told you to do one thing, is it the same as me telling you do do three things? In which of those two scenarios am I exerting more control of your choices: telling you to do one thing or telling you to do three things? In which scenario do you have fewer choices; when I tell you to do one thing or when I tell you to do three things?

The more I dictate to you the less choice you have. In general, Libertarians support more choices and less dictation, not vice versa. But, that's part of his schtick.
(09-19-2017, 11:58 AM)GMDino Wrote: ThumbsUp

Lol yeah I thought so. Hilarious
(09-19-2017, 12:36 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If I told you to do one thing, is it the same as me telling you do do three things?  In which of those two scenarios am I exerting more control of your choices: telling you to do one thing or telling you to do three things?  In which scenario do you have fewer choices; when I tell you to do one thing or when I tell you to do three things?

The more I dictate to you the less choice you have. In general, Libertarians support more choices and less dictation, not vice versa. But, that's part of his schtick.

Well you are actually telling me to do two things.  Go to school, and where to go.  If the where to go is an all boys school, you haven't told me to do a third thing.  Of course I can bypass all but the go to school by choosing a private school, but I do have to pay for that.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall