Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attorney General Jeff Sessions repeats 'lock her up' chant
Ain't he a peach?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/24/politics/jeff-sessions-hillary-clinton-lock-her-up/index.html

Quote:Attorney General Jeff Sessions, the top law enforcement officer in the country, participated in a chant of "Lock her up" Tuesday, reviving a rallying cry from Donald Trump campaign events calling to jail Hillary Clinton.
Sessions was addressing a conservative group's high school leadership summit in Washington, where he promoted free speech and conservative principles.

Sessions criticized universities for "coddling our young people" and "actively preventing them from scrutinizing the validity of their beliefs."

"After the 2016 election, for example, they held a 'cry-in' at Cornell. I hope they had plenty of tissues for 'em to cry on," he said. "They had therapy dogs at the University of Kansas. Play-Doh and coloring books at the University of Michigan for heaven's sakes. You know, give me a break. Students at Tufts were encouraged to 'draw about their feelings.'"

"Well I can tell this group isn't going to have to have Play-Doh when you get attacked in college and you get involved in a debate," Sessions told the crowd attending Turning Point USA's High School Leadership Summit at George Washington University. "I like this bunch, I gotta tell you. You're not going to be backing down. Go get 'em. Go get 'em."

Then chants of "Lock her up" broke out.

"Lock her up," Sessions said, chuckling at the brief interruption from the audience as the chant then grew louder.

"I heard that a long time over the last campaign," he said before continuing with his prepared speech.

"Lock her up" was a staple heard at Trump 2016 campaign rallies in reference to Clinton's use of a private email server when she was secretary of state and Trump's insistence that she be jailed for the offense.

Concluding an investigation into Clinton's email server, then-FBI James Comey recommended in 2016 that no charges be filed against Clinton, and the US Attorney General at the time, Loretta Lynch, decided not to pursue charges.

Trump has pestered Sessions for not looking into Clinton's deleted emails and publicly slammed him for being "very weak" on Clinton's "crimes." Sessions has assigned a federal prosecutor to look into various matters surrounding Clinton, but stopped short of formally appointing a special counsel earlier this year.
CNN has reached out to the Justice Department for comment.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Shrugs. They don't realize how silly they look given Trumps FBI troubles.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Probably shouldn't have the AG showing a straight up bias.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-24-2018, 12:36 PM)jj22 Wrote: Shrugs. They don't realize how silly they look given Trumps FBI troubles.

Don't realize or don't care.

(07-24-2018, 01:00 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Probably shouldn't have the AG showing a straight up bias.

Maybe he's tired of the POTUS tweeting about him.  Mellow
Quote:Attorney General Jeff Sessions, the top law enforcement officer in the country, participated in a chant of "Lock her up" Tuesday

Shocked
This is your attorney general chanting for the imprisonment of his president's former opponent on the grounds of crowd anger. Saying it to a crowd who does not demand or need fact or due process, actively encouraging them in their not thinking that way. Yeah damn right, lock her up I say!
--- From an ATTOURNEY GENERAL. I don't know, that one gets me.

Can please someone, I mean that sincerely, explain to me how this should not be grounds for an immediate impeachment procedure against Jeff Sessions. How exactly the same people willing to hang Strzkzok and his girlfriend and all of the other FBIlers over their alleged severe bias could possibly be fine with that. I honestly don't get how the head of the Justice Department could behave like that. Did he mumble "Don't" before each chant?
It's a weird world. I can't imagine the fallout if a Democrat was talking about locking up political opponents. As it is, people just shrug. The sane ones say 'probably shouldn't do that' and the rest join in the chant.
(07-24-2018, 01:27 PM)hollodero Wrote: Shocked
This is your attorney general chanting for the imprisonment of his president's former opponent on the grounds of crowd anger. Saying it to a crowd who does not demand or need fact or due process, actively encouraging them in their not thinking that way. Yeah damn right, lock her up I say!
--- From an ATTOURNEY GENERAL. I don't know, that one gets me.

Can please someone, I mean that sincerely, explain to me how this should not be grounds for an immediate impeachment procedure against Jeff Sessions. How exactly the same people willing to hang Strzkzok and his girlfriend and all of the other FBIlers over their alleged severe bias could possibly be fine with that. I honestly don't get how the head of the Justice Department could behave like that. Did he mumble "Don't" before each chant?

All valid points!

I'd like to add his "prepared speech" about students not learning how to question and think for themselves...is interrupted by a group chant inspired by a politician.

(07-24-2018, 01:00 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Probably shouldn't have the AG showing a straight up bias.

Meh, he's just following his predecessor's example.  Mellow
(07-24-2018, 01:54 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Meh, he's just following his predecessor's example.  Mellow

Really? Whose imprisonment did his predecessor openly chant for? 
(07-24-2018, 02:20 PM)hollodero Wrote: Really? Who's imprisonment did his predecessor openly chant for? 

I was referring to the showing of bias.
(07-24-2018, 02:44 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I was referring to the showing of bias.

I think calling it "showing bias" is seriously belittling what Sessions did there. This is not on the same scale as whatever Democrat or FBI failure you're thinking of.
(07-24-2018, 02:55 PM)hollodero Wrote: I think calling it "showing bias" is seriously belittling what Sessions did there. 

I disagree. I think this is one of those mountains out of a molehill things. The OP's article even says he chuckled while saying it.
(07-24-2018, 03:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I disagree. I think this is one of those mountains out of a molehill things. The OP's article even says he chuckled while saying it.

True, a right-wing politician laughing at the gullibility of his supporters is hardly newsworthy.
(07-24-2018, 03:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I disagree. I think this is one of those mountains out of a molehill things. The OP's article even says he chuckled while saying it.

I saw it the first time now. Yeah he "chuckles it away", and it's maybe really "only" incredibly stupid and inappropriate. But even then. Chuckling it away doesn't make the message he sent any better.

This is rather one of those turn a mountain into a molehill and then accuse some Democrat of having the bigger molehills anyways thing. Like you managed to use a Story about Jeff Sessions' misconduct to slam his predecessor.
(While of course, if Eric Holder had ever "chuckled away" his repetition of an imprisonment demand, the republican side would have called for harsh consequences and declared a scandal. And you kind of have to know that's true.)

Oh and lastly in case this isn't clear, any attorney general is supposed to not chuckle these things away, but talk some sense into those who start the chant. Or just plain ignore it, if he's too cowardly to do that. Every other behaviour, every sense of encouragement is a disgrace and deserves no excuses.
(07-24-2018, 03:33 PM)hollodero Wrote: I saw it the first time now. Yeah he "chuckles it away", and it's maybe really "only" incredibly stupid and inappropriate. But even then. Chuckling it away doesn't make the message he sent any better.

I agree it was inappropriate, but it wasn't "incredibly inappropriate" nor "incredibly stupid."

(07-24-2018, 03:33 PM)hollodero Wrote: This is rather one of those turn a mountain into a molehill and then accuse some Democrat of having the bigger molehills anyways thing.

Wow. This is very fred-like of you. I never said anyone had "bigger molehills" nor did I imply anyone was more or less biased. I only pointed out that Holder was biased. 

(07-24-2018, 03:33 PM)hollodero Wrote: Like you managed to use a Story about Jeff Sessions' misconduct to slam his predecessor.

First, what misconduct? Sessions broke no law and did nothing wrong. Sure, he probably shouldn't have joined the chant of "lock her up" as it give an appearance of impropriety, but there's no law or rule that prohibits him from doing what he did.

More importantly, I slammed no one. I only pointed out Holder was biased. Is Session biased? Clearly. But, so was Holder. So is pretty much everybody in Washington.

(07-24-2018, 03:33 PM)hollodero Wrote: (While of course, if Eric Holder had ever "chuckled away" his repetition of an imprisonment demand, the republican side would have called for harsh consequences and declared a scandal. And you kind of have to know that's true.)

I don't doubt that is exactly what would happen if situations were reversed. But, pointing out Republican hypocrisy does not excuse hypocrisy by the Democrats (and vice versa).

(07-24-2018, 03:33 PM)hollodero Wrote: Oh and lastly in case this isn't clear, any attorney general is supposed to not chuckle these things away, but talk some sense into those who start the chant. Or just plain ignore it, if he's too cowardly to do that. Every other behaviour, every sense of encouragement is a disgrace and deserves no excuses.

That is your opinion. I disagree with most of it. I agree he shouldn't have joined in, but I disagree with you in your assessment of whta it means that he did.
(07-24-2018, 03:52 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I agree it was inappropriate, but it wasn't "incredibly inappropriate" nor "incredibly stupid."

Well, that's a matter of perspective I'd say.

(07-24-2018, 03:52 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Wow. This is very fred-like of you. I never said anyone had "bigger molehills" nor did I imply anyone was more or less biased. I only pointed out that Holder was biased. 

By which you equated the incidents and compared molehills.
Saying "bigger" was wrong though. It's me argueing Sessions molehill is bigger, not you claiming Holder's are. Please regard my post as amended in that sense.
Still, I wouldn't know how Holder got into a debate about Sessions in the first place, and I yet fail to find something in Holder's conduct that comes close to, jokingly or not, giving the appearance of agreeing personally with demands of imprisonments of political opponents.

(07-24-2018, 03:52 PM)PhilHos Wrote: First, what misconduct? Sessions broke no law and did nothing wrong. Sure, he probably shouldn't have joined the chant of "lock her up" as it give an appearance of impropriety, but there's no law or rule that prohibits him from doing what he did.

I'm not sure if "misconduct" means "doing something illegal". I used it as "doing something a head of the DOJ should never ever do or even appear to do". In this case, doing something wrong, like demanding jailtime for anyone (and were it Bill Cosby) without due process is wrong for the head of the Justice Department.

(07-24-2018, 03:52 PM)PhilHos Wrote: More importantly, I slammed no one. I only pointed out Holder was biased. Is Session biased? Clearly. But, so was Holder. So is pretty much everybody in Washington.

By these words, you are belittling what Sessions did. As if it were normal and everyone would do it. Not everyone is doing it though. E.g. no democrat I know of has publicly demanded Trump be sent to jail.

Admittedly, I found the "lock her up" chants deeply disturbing and spooky to begin with. No politician should ever jump on that train. Is what I would have thought the bipartisan consensus in these matters, but obviously it is not.

(07-24-2018, 03:52 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't doubt that is exactly what would happen if situations were reversed. But, pointing out Republican hypocrisy does not excuse hypocrisy by the Democrats (and vice versa).

That's right. This thought has implications though.
Also, I have to say, if situations were reversed (like Holder as DOJ implying a Trump team member should be jailed), I'd completely understand the outrage and wouldn't have thought it hypocrisy. It's just strange how one-sided this is, when you also state that Republicans would be on my side in that one (imaginary) case, but aren't in the other (real) case.

(07-24-2018, 03:52 PM)PhilHos Wrote: That is your opinion. I disagree with most of it. I agree he shouldn't have joined in, but I disagree with you in your assessment of whta it means that he did.

Yeah well, it somes sense that is good. How boring would the world be if everyone agreed with me.
I failed to put a lot of "I think" and "in my opinion" in my latest posts, but these things are implied.
He was really just laughing at what they were saying, but it's still incredibly inappropriate.

Also, are they still saying "lock her up"? Man these people are obsessed with her.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

I see nothing wrong with what Sessions did in this instance. The crowd started chanting; Sessions simply laughed at what they were saying, somply said he heard it a lot, dismissed the notion, and moved on.

But I fully expect this to turn into "biased AG joins in with chants of Lock her up."
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

After some additional looking into this, I have to row back a little on that one. It was not nefariously bad, as in it was probably just thoughtless. I find it still quite bad though.

(07-24-2018, 07:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I see nothing wrong with what Sessions did in this instance. The crowd started chanting; Sessions simply laughed at what they were saying

Already quite a bad reaction, in my book.
(07-24-2018, 07:28 PM)hollodero Wrote: After some additional looking into this, I have to row back a little on that one. It was not nefariously bad, as in it was probably just thoughtless. I find it still quite bad though.

Already quite a bad reaction, in my book.

What would have been a acceptable response in your book? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]