Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aubrey Pleasant officially set to interview this week
(02-07-2019, 05:38 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: That would give us a very young and inexperienced staff, not a good thing in my opinion. A lesson that Taylor apparently didn’t learn from a McVay.

My baseline opinion of Taylor is dropping by the day. Hopefully that changes when the games start.

I suspect he is under estimating many things. The most important one is that being a QB coach is nowhere near a head coach, and second, the success that McVay had was due to many variables that are not found in this organization like the acquiring of aged, but talented and productive players. McVay had many seasoned and experienced coordinators too. Some who were HC's themselves before. If Taylor doesn't have the "oomph" to keep everyone under control, I can easily see an implosion, similar to what Hue Jackson had in Cleveland.  I hope I am wrong and all the coaches gel with Taylor and support him to the core and follow his philosophy, but we'll see. TBD.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 09:09 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I suspect he is under estimating many things. The most important one is that being a QB coach is nowhere near a head coach, and second, the success that McVay had was due to many variables that are not found in this organization like the acquiring of aged, but talented and productive players. McVay had many seasoned and experienced coordinators too. Some who were HC's themselves before. If Taylor doesn't have the "oomph" to keep everyone under control, I can easily see an implosion, similar to what Hue Jackson had in Cleveland.  I hope I am wrong and all the coaches gel with Taylor and support him to the core and follow his philosophy, but we'll see. TBD.

Seriously?  Two days and the whole operation is doomed?  He's no better than Hue?

You guys are just depressing.  I might have to step away for awhile.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I understand that it may be important to pair an experienced DC with a young HC but it's also very important to make sure you hire someone that is genuinely a good football mind and can improve your defense. We had some decent years with Guenther but we haven't seen a defense that attacks every down and goes after the ball since Zimmer left. I haven't read anything bad about Pleasant so far and it seems he would be a great hire. I like the guy from Florida too if this somehow falls through.

There's still a good amount of experience on the staff with Simmons, Bicknell, Van Pelt, Livingston and Turner. He has connections to Bill Callahan and has Mike Sherman as a father-in-law. He's been around football his entire life so he might be more prepared than we think which gives him the confidence to bring in the BEST guys that get the most out of his vision instead of the most experienced guys that will produce meh results.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 09:19 PM)McC Wrote: Seriously?  Two days and the whole operation is doomed?  He's no better than Hue?

You guys are just depressing.  I might have to step away for awhile.

Now now.. don't be pessimistic, I'm still neutral in this. I have to go with what I see. Just throwing out scenarios.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 05:38 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: That would give us a very young and inexperienced staff, not a good thing in my opinion. A lesson that Taylor apparently didn’t learn from a McVay.

My baseline opinion of Taylor is dropping by the day. Hopefully that changes when the games start.

We have a nice veteran staff with Marvin Lewis... hows that working out for ya.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Let's not forget that Simmons has been around a long time and offer advice to these guys. I for one want young hungry driven guys. What's the worse that can happen we have a winless season and end up with the #1 pick in a great QB class?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 09:35 PM)Okeana Wrote: Let's not forget that Simmons has been around a long time and offer advice to these guys.  I for one want young hungry driven guys.  What's the worse that can happen we have a winless season and end up with the #1 pick in a great QB class?

A good point. Even if they go down in a blase of glory, at least they won't be playing it like they are afraid to lose.

I fully expect some bumps along the road this first season. Nothing to be upset about.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 05:52 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Why? How do we know what his choices are capable of until we actually see what they're capable of?

I mean, right now everything is just pure conjecture and personal preferences as far as reactions to these picks/names.

Maybe it will be a disaster or maybe it will be incredible. We have no way of knowing till we actually see the results on the field.

Agreed. It's a bunch of guys with little track record who will be moving up to higher level positions. There's a real chance it could take them a year or 2 to figure things out.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 07:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes, exactly.  

Amazing that you don't understand the concept of experience being valuable because people learn from their mistakes.

Makes more sense than thinking a 35 year old with no prior head coaching experience already knows everything and has nothing to learn from anyone with experience.

I see it that way too. We hired a QB Coach. He's not going to know how to structure practices for offense and defense and what to focus on. How to setup training camp. Building playbooks. Scouting.

We need atleast 1 experienced guy.

It seems like the experienced guys want nothing to do with here.

I'm going to say that I'm seeing some red flags so far. This Turner hire is a big red flag too. Not necessarily even due to the controversial things he did, but he doesn't really produce good offensive lines.

Seems this guy is hiring his friends.
Reply/Quote
Well he better hope Turner works out, because if he doesn't then Taylor is going to have to make a tough decision about letting go of one of his buddies. Could strain their relationship. That's why mixing friendship with work is always risky business.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Put me in the category of hoping we hire a DC with experience as a coordinator as a minimum and hopefully one of the old lions that's not afraid to question the new king,
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 12:11 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Well he better hope Turner works out, because if he doesn't then Taylor is going to have to make a tough decision about letting go of one of his buddies.  Could strain their relationship.  That's why mixing friendship with work is always risky business.

I just see the Turner hire as a huge risk for this guy. Turner had issues with the Dolphins...then nobody would hire him. He gets hired at Texas A&M and gets in trouble before coaching his 1st game.

Why risk it by hiring him?
Reply/Quote
I think these cats have more experience than the average bear at their age. Brian Callahan is the son of a former NFL head coach. One that went to the Super Bowl. He was in a Jon Gruden QB meeting at the age of 14. He's been in and around the NFL his whole life. Zac Taylor has had a very similar path. These are not your average young coaches. I think people are losing sight of this. He also got a late start due to a silly rule. This may be a one year rental with an eye toward adding more experience as it's available.

RELAX. 

I was 27 years old when I got my first real management job. Over 90% of the people under me were my senior. Some were almost 40 years older than me. Communication and listening were key for me, and I had been around the industry my whole life. My dad and grandfather were in it. These guys seem to at least grasp that concept

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 01:45 AM)Wyche Wrote: I think these cats have more experience than the average bear at their age. Brian Callahan is the son of a former NFL head coach. One that went to the Super Bowl. He was in a Jon Gruden QB meeting at the age of 14. He's been in and around the NFL his whole life. Zac Taylor has had a very similar path. These are not your average young coaches. I think people are losing sight of this. He also got a late start due to a silly rule. This may be a one year rental with an eye toward adding more experience as it's available.

RELAX. 

I was 27 years old when I got my first real management job. Over 90% of the people under me were my senior. Some were almost 40 years older than me. Communication and listening were key for me, and I had been around the industry my whole life. My dad and grandfather were in it. These guys seem to at least grasp that concept

So true.  The whole thing about needing seasoned veterans around him--he'll have them.  As far as needing their advice...I don't think he'll be needing much of it.  He's digested everything he's learned from everybody he's worked for and formulated his own mad plan.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I have faith for the first time in a long time we will see positive change. Like most of you, let’s see how it plays out and if a specific coach isn’t working out then on to the next guy instead of keeping them around 5 years longer than they should of been here
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 05:34 PM)Trademark Wrote: Aubrey Pleasant, who has coached cornerbacks the last two seasons, is scheduled to interview this week for the defensive coordinator position with the Cincinnati Bengals.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-bengals-aubrey-pleasant-20190207-story.html

I would venture to say this is our new DC. I’ve seen where Rams fans don’t want him to leave

This dude gets fired up which i like. I also like Grantham and Elko and i heard we are going to interview them to and others.

No saying who is going to be the DC at this point.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 12:03 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I see it that way too. We hired a QB Coach. He's not going to know how to structure practices for offense and defense and what to focus on. How to setup training camp. Building playbooks. Scouting.

We need atleast 1 experienced guy.

It seems like the experienced guys want nothing to do with here.

I'm going to say that I'm seeing some red flags so far. This Turner hire is a big red flag too. Not necessarily even due to the controversial things he did, but he doesn't really produce good offensive lines.

Seems this guy is hiring his friends.
So Darrin Simmons is a Newbie?
Reply/Quote
We wanted a new head coach and we wanted him to hire a new staff.

I am in favor of supporting new head coach and his picks for coaches understanding that the Bengals are a project.

This is not a playoff team/Super Bowl contender next year.

Aging stars and way too many holes on o-line, linebacker and not so great at WR ( after AJ and Tyler) and very questionable at TE.

Taylor is a miracle worker if this team makes the playoffs next year.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 07:33 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Well McVay himself said one of the reasons he hired Phillips was so he would have somebody with experience as a HC to bounce ideas off of, so yes it appears Taylor was not paying attention. Who is he going to go to on the current staff if he needs advice? He’s going to have to go outside the organization for that, but that person won’t be able to offer first hand advice from what they’ve seen with their own eyes, unless it’s Marv, you want Taylor getting HC advice from Marv?

Father-in-law,nuff said and by the way this coaching staff is going to be awesome,baby.Believe that. ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp :andy: :andy: :andy:
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 01:45 AM)Wyche Wrote: I think these cats have more experience than the average bear at their age. Brian Callahan is the son of a former NFL head coach. One that went to the Super Bowl. He was in a Jon Gruden QB meeting at the age of 14. He's been in and around the NFL his whole life. Zac Taylor has had a very similar path. These are not your average young coaches. I think people are losing sight of this. He also got a late start due to a silly rule. This may be a one year rental with an eye toward adding more experience as it's available.

RELAX. 

Zac has a go to for advice in his father in law, Mike Sherman.  I think that if the Bengals feel he needs a veteran DC with HC experience to babysit him, he shouldn't have gotten the job in the first place.  

The veteran former HC DC could be a curse just as much as it could be a blessing.  It worked great in LA, but we don't really know how much McVay had to go to Phillips for advice.  Wade also had to do a good deal of pride swallowing to take that job under a HC so young.  Guys like Del Rio and Capers might not be willing to do that.  While I think he's a good DC, I could definitely see Del Rio coming in with a chip on his shoulder thinking "that HC job should be mine."  Then you can wind up with your young HC looking over his shoulder and coaching not to lose his job instead of coaching to win games.  
Reply/Quote