Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auden Tate - Breakout Year with Burrow?
I just read this on the Enquirer. Figured you all might enjoy it...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2020/09/06/cincinnati-bengals-wide-receiver-auden-tate-breakout-2020-year/5734722002/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the Cincinnati Bengals hired offensive coordinator Brian Callahan in Jan. 2019, Callahan admitted he didn’t know much about wide receiver Auden Tate.

At the time, Tate only had four receptions in the NFL. Since Callahan wanted to learn more about one of his new players, he asked wide receivers coach Bob Bicknell for some of Tate’s practice film.

It didn’t take long for Callahan to realize he had a potential starting wide receiver.

“I saw a lot of things I liked about him, namely that he’s 6-foot five, (228) pounds and has great strong hands and makes a ton of contested catches, even in those practice clips from the season before,” Callahan said.

Usually, that skill combination makes a wide receiver an early NFL Draft selection. But ever since Tate was in high school, he’s heard he might have to switch positions to make it in the NFL. At six-foot-five and 228 pounds, Tate is closer in size to Cincinnati Bengals’ tight end C.J. Uzomah than wide receiver A.J. Green.

Even while some coaches wanted to see Tate play tight end, he has been a highlight-making wide receiver for every team he’s played on. In 2019, Tate consistently made toe-tapping catches on the sidelines and had a several diving first down grabs.

Tate started 10 games for Cincinnati last year and ranked second on the Bengals with 575 receiving yards. But in his first few practices with rookie quarterback Joe Burrow, Tate has looked ready for a bigger role at wide receiver.

In the Bengals first preseason scrimmage, Tate caught four of Burrow’s first six passes. On the last play of Burrow’s first drive, Tate used his wingspan to snag a touchdown reception.

Throughout training camp, Tate has been one Burrow’s favorite receivers.

“(Tate) is — when you are building a player — what you want from him mentally and physically and from a talent standpoint,” head coach Zac Taylor said.

Tate’s talent has never been a question. His ability to track the ball in the air and make acrobatic touchdown catches has been there throughout his football career.

At Florida State University, Tate started as a redshirt freshman and finished with 409 receiving yards and caught six touchdown passes. As a sophomore, he led the Seminoles with ten touchdown receptions and helped quarterback James Blackman have the best season of his college career.

Even though he wasn’t as fast as the other wide receivers on the roster, Tate carved out a role as a reliable option on over-the-top passes and back shoulder fades. Former FSU offensive coordinator Randy Sanders said he was confident whenever Blackman threw a deep pass to Tate.

“There are no substitutes for size and nothing that size can’t do,” Sanders said. “Auden has the size with a great work ethic. Both of those things can go unappreciated.”

Despite being a six-foot-five wide receiver who consistently made spectacular catches in college, Tate lasted 253 picks in the 2018 NFL Draft. The two wide receivers drafted ahead of Tate weren’t as productive as Tate was at Florida State.

After Tate declared for the draft in 2018, NFL scouts didn’t focus on his size and work ethic. Instead, they looked at his 4.68 second 40-yard dash.

That was slower than any other wide receiver at the 2018 NFL Combine, and a couple of tight ends even clocked faster times. As a result, some evaluators saw Tate as someone who might have to switch positions to make an NFL roster, Sanders said.

“He runs well for a guy his size, he just didn’t have a good 40-time. Sometimes 40-times are overrated,” Sanders said. “He does have good quickness and the ability to separate from defenders and stretch the field. He just does it his own way.”

The Bengals drafted Tate with one of the last picks of the 2018 draft, and Tate was Cincinnati’s 11th selection that year. The Bengals couldn’t fit all 11 picks on the roster, and Tate was a long shot to stay on the team past the preseason.

He quickly showed the Bengals what he can do in the red zone.

Early in summer mini-camp, Tate beat starting cornerback William Jackson III in the end zone for an over-the-top touchdown grab. It was such a great catch that former Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton asked the camera crew if they caught the play on video.

He kept making plays in training camp and earned a spot on the 53-man roster as a wide receiver. Tate didn’t have to play tight end to make the team, but he still never had a consistent role in the offense until Sept. 2019.

In week three against the Buffalo Bills, Tate replaced wide receiver Damion Willis in the starting lineup, and Tate finished with six catches for 88 yards. Tate started almost every game last season and ended 2019 with 40 receptions.

During the 2020 offseason, Tate trained with former Pro Bowl wide receiver Anquan Boldin. They targeted areas for Tate to improve to have a more consistent 2020 season, and Tate came away from the workouts as a better player.

“(I’m) staying low on my routes, staying low coming out of my initial stance, catching the ball better, running better, blocking better,” Tate said. “I just feel like I can do anything better.”

Tate has still never played with a quarterback as talented as Burrow. During Bengals training camp, they clicked right away.

In the first scrimmage, Tate started alongside Tyler Boyd and Mike Thomas at wide receiver. Green and John Ross weren’t available, but Tate almost single-handedly made up for their production.

Burrow’s first two completions were long passes to Tate, and Tate also made two over-the-shoulder catches in the end zone.

It wasn’t a bad start for someone who has been on the roster bubble in each of the last two preseasons.

“Auden Tate, obviously, has picked up where he left off last year in terms of execution and play-making ability, his skills that he brings to our offense,” Callahan said.

Even though the 23 year-old Tate has been one of Cincinnati’s most valuable players during training camp, it’s not guaranteed that Tate will reclaim his starting spot on Sept. 13 against the Los Angeles Chargers. If Green and Ross are both healthy, it’s possible Tate comes off the bench.

But Taylor said Tate’s skill set has expanded over the last year, and he’s proven he can be a consistent contributor. And he'll be a contributor at wide receiver.

“He has proven, on the film last year and the way he goes about his business, that he can do a lot for you as an offense," Taylor. "You can’t just say he’s a red zone player. He’s a three-down guy for you.”
Reply/Quote
I'm glad that the team sees Tate as a valuable weapon, and that he has quickly become one of Joe's go to guys. In spite of where he was drafted, he keeps fighting and proving that he belongs. I've been quietly pulling for him, ever since I had to research who he was when we drafted him. Despite not having blazing speed, his highlight reel looked like one of those small school guys that everyone seems to get excited about, yet rarely pans out, with a caveat; Tate played for a big name school against big name competition.

Would we like for him to be half a step quicker? Absolutely. However, the man has some talents that just can't be matched by speed, he has size, incredible athleticism and body control. Like I said, glad to see the guy getting some positive press.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It's an embarrassment of riches for the Bengals WR room. With both Green and Ross entering contract years, the Bengals will have some tough decisions to make. Boyd, Tate, and Higgins would be a formidable starting 3 WRs. And they're all 3 still young.

Green and Ross are both injury prone. Are either of them coming back in 2021? I'd say it depends on their performance in 2021. More basically, who can stay healthy. The answer to that question, I think, will settle the question of which one, if either, of them gets resigned.

Lots of questions, but IMHO, the FO needs to get ready to pay Tate. Reward him for all the work he's put in to making himself a starting caliber WR. Our best 7th round pick since TJ Housh.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 06:13 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: It's an embarrassment of riches for the Bengals WR room. With both Green and Ross entering contract years, the Bengals will have some tough decisions to make. Boyd, Tate, and Higgins would be a formidable starting 3 WRs. And they're all 3 still young.

Green and Ross are both injury prone. Are either of them coming back in 2021? I'd say it depends on their performance in 2021. More basically, who can stay healthy. The answer to that question, I think, will settle the question of which one, if either, of them gets resigned.

Lots of questions, but IMHO, the FO needs to get ready to pay Tate. Reward him for all the work he's put in to making himself a starting caliber WR. Our best 7th round pick since TJ Housh.

Agreed, all points. Was thinking about that depth the other day, too. Even beyond those three as the starters, still have Thomas, Morgan and Lodge. Good feeling to have a position group so deep, because injuries and contracts happen.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 06:13 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Our best 7th round pick since TJ Housh.

We franchise tagged Nugent when Housh was up for contract. If Tate has done enough to earn big bucks at the end of the season, hopefully management will remember how that worked out for us.
Reply/Quote
Tate is the 5th receiver. Maybe 4th. I doubt he gets a TON on PT, but there will certainly be some. Especially Red Zone.

The thing about playing Boyd, Higgins, & Tate together is that there is no speed guy there. You need a deep threat to stretch the field.
Reply/Quote
Funny how that article didnt mention.stuff like Tates % catch rate was last year or how he cant seperate. You know the typical
Stuff we hear from the local scouts here.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 07:49 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Tate is the 5th receiver. Maybe 4th. I doubt he gets a TON on PT, but there will certainly be some. Especially Red Zone.

The thing about playing Boyd, Higgins, & Tate together is that there is no speed guy there. You need a deep threat to stretch the field.

Tate will be starting in 3 wide sets next week.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 06:13 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: It's an embarrassment of riches for the Bengals WR room. With both Green and Ross entering contract years, the Bengals will have some tough decisions to make. Boyd, Tate, and Higgins would be a formidable starting 3 WRs. And they're all 3 still young.

Good post
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 08:36 PM)Au165 Wrote: Tate will be starting in 3 wide sets next week.

Is this your opinion or has some coach really said this.

People think I hate Tate, but I just disagree witht he people who go on about how he is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I'd love to see him develop into a great WR, or at least a 6'5" red zone/3rd down weapon, but right now I don't even see him as a starter.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 09:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Is this your opinion or has some coach really said this.

People think I hate Tate, but I just disagree witht he people who go on about how he is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I'd love to see him develop into a great WR, or at least a 6'5" red zone/3rd down weapon, but right now I don't even see him as a starter.

Nobody said he was greatest thing since sliced bread. But his ascention from practice squad player 7th RD pick to his role
Now doesnt happen everyday in the NFL..
Hes home from.being buried by Marvin to praised by ZT and.
 And his WRs coach. 
Tate has worked hard to achieve that. Hes not a me guy that is 
Concerned how about his stats.
He could start for a number of teams now. You cant teach his size and radius. He will prosper with a QB that can hit him in stride.
Reply/Quote
Well,the bottom line is,Tate just keeps making plays time and time again.He’s a playmaker, and maybe it has something to do with the new Quarterback as well.IF,,,he keeps doing this consistently in real games,it would be pretty hard to keep him out of the starting lineup.
Reply/Quote
Tate had 40 catches in his second year in the NFL for the worst team in the NFL after being a 7th round pick in 2018. I think he has a lot of upside.

I want to say Au165 is wrong and Tate won't be starting in 3 WR sets because Ross can do things nobody else can do so he will be starting along side AJ and Boyd. But Tate can do things not many can do being a giant. So its really a toss up. Might as well put them all out there on the first play.

AJ, Ross, Jonah, MJ, Hopkins, FJ, Hart, Boyd, Tate
Burrow
Mixon

fake it to mixon and just throw it deep to AJ for an easy TD
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 07:49 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Tate is the 5th receiver. Maybe 4th. I doubt he gets a TON on PT, but there will certainly be some. Especially Red Zone.

Agree with the speed aspect that’s why I think they struggled when Ross got hurt last year they had no deep threat.
Reply/Quote
John Ross changes the depth of the safeties.
Ross opens up.everything for the other WR to prosper.
I.think.what is lost on.Tate is that he is a really good
Stalk blocker downfield. Rarely do.you see his defender tackle the ball carrier
Reply/Quote
Why is it people just can't accept Tate for what he is ?

In 2019 Dalton had a 59.5 completion % Ryan Finley 47.1% Tyler Boyd's catch rate dropped from 70% in 2018 to 60% in 2019. John Ross only had a 50% catch rate in 2019. Yet people wanna throw Tate's % around like that's proof he stinks when the fact is everybody stunk in 2019.

I'm confident Tate will be a contributor to this coming season, just how big ? But I'm very anxious to see just what he can do with Burrow throwing him the ball.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 11:45 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Why is it people just can't accept Tate for what he is ?

In 2019 Dalton had a 59.5 completion % Ryan Finley 47.1% Tyler Boyd's catch rate dropped from 70% in 2018 to 60% in 2019. John Ross only had a 50% catch rate in 2019. Yet people wanna throw Tate's % around like that's proof he stinks when the fact is everybody stunk in 2019.

I'm confident Tate will be a contributor to this coming season, just how big ? But I'm very anxious to see just what he can do with Burrow throwing him the ball.

People...or just Fred? Cause most around here seem pretty high on Tate.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 05:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm glad that the team sees Tate as a valuable weapon, and that he has quickly become one of Joe's go to guys.  In spite of where he was drafted, he keeps fighting and proving that he belongs.  I've been quietly pulling for him, ever since I had to research who he was when we drafted him.  Despite not having blazing speed, his highlight reel looked like one of those small school guys that everyone seems to get excited about, yet rarely pans out, with a caveat;  Tate played for a big name school against big name competition.

Would we like for him to be half a step quicker?  Absolutely.  However, the man has some talents that just can't be matched by speed, he has size, incredible athleticism and body control.  Like I said, glad to see the guy getting some positive press.

I have heard with Ross and Green many times that they can take it to the house on every play, but how often does that really happen? I really like Tate and I think Burrow will give him chances when the windows were too small for Dalton.  That being said, for Tate to have a breakout year, that means either Green or Ross was out with injuries.  I hate to think of that, but let's face it:  that is a pretty realistic scenario.

Lapham said he felt that Tate would likely have the 3rd most receiving yards of all the WRs (behind Green and Boyd).  I just love the depth of talent we have behind the front line starters.  Heck, I bet week 1 we see more of Tate and possibly HIggins to keep everyone fresh for the game 5 days later.  
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 10:39 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Nobody said he was greatest thing since sliced bread. But his ascention from practice squad player 7th RD pick to his role
Now doesnt happen everyday in the NFL..

Hes home from.being buried by Marvin to praised by ZT and.
 And his WRs coach. 
Tate has worked hard to achieve that. Hes not a me guy that is 
Concerned how about his stats.
He could start for a number of teams now. You cant teach his size and radius. He will prosper with a QB that can hit him in stride.

One guy that Tate reminds me of:  Marques Colston.  Former 7th round pick out of Hofstra.  Now, Colston ran a bit faster than Tate, but they are of similar size and Drew Brees turned Colston in to a guy that had six 1000 yard seasons and owns eight other Saint's receiving records.  I am not saying Tate is going to become Colston, but like Brees, Burrow will throw to the guy where only he can make a play on it and will trust his WR.

Tate's performance in 2020 is all about the guys in front of him:  If they (Green and Ross) stay healthy and are tearing it up, Tate won't get as many chances, but if they falter it is really nice to have him backing them up.  
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 10:39 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Hes home from.being buried by Marvin to praised by ZT and.
 And his WRs coach. 

Marvin was the only coach in the league willing to give him a shot.

He only saw playing time under Zac due to injury.
Reply/Quote