Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auden Tate - Breakout Year with Burrow?
(09-06-2020, 08:36 PM)Au165 Wrote: Tate will be starting in 3 wide sets next week.

Is that due to injury or what?
I thought Green, Boyd, and Ross would be the starters in 3-wide sets.

I like Tate a lot as a WR3/4, but I'd have concerns if the starters end up being Tate, Boyd, and Higgins next year, as there's not much speed there.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2020, 09:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: People think I hate Tate, but I just disagree witht he people who go on about how he is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I'd love to see him develop into a great WR, or at least a 6'5" red zone/3rd down weapon, but right now I don't even see him as a starter.

You've made "the greatest thing since sliced bread" comment twice I've seen.

Has anyone actually said this, or anything even remotely close to this?  I'm honestly curious as to how you're coming to this conclusion.  What is being said that leads you to believe this is the sentiment that many have.

Because I haven't seen anything close to this.  I haven't seen one single person say that they think the's going to be some elite weapon.  Not one.  The consensus seems to be that he's battling with the 3/4/5 guys for reps.

I think what many of these people (myself included) are actually saying is simply that he has value, and do no sleep on this guy contributing this year.

Is he going to be our #1 or #2 receiver?  No, not without injury.  But that doesn't mean you can't have a conversation about his worth.

The fact of the matter is Auden Tate is guy that contributed a decent amount last year, and he's still young (only 23).  The coaches seem to like him, and he possesses some qualities that some of his peers do not. 

While he may never be an elite receiver, or the greatest thing since sliced bread, that doesn't mean he isn't worthy of discussion or praise.
Reply/Quote
I expect Tate to.be a critical piece on 3rd down this year as he made
6 3rd down catches over 7 yds last year.
I think in the red zone he's a legit threat as him and Burrow found chemistry in that regard.
What no has brought up is this.....is AJ Green going to be a limited
Snap count the first few weeks? If so then I can.see Tate on the field
On 1st downs from time to.time
Reply/Quote
I foresee a lot of 4 WR sets this season and Tate will be used similarly to how they Used Eifert last season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 11:47 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You've made "the greatest thing since sliced bread" comment twice I've seen.

Has anyone actually said this, or anything even remotely close to this?  I'm honestly curious as to how you're coming to this conclusion.  What is being said that leads you to believe this is the sentiment that many have.

Comments like this

(08-21-2020, 01:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Auden Tate gives me a football boner that requires medical attention.

I can find plenty more if you like.  He "catches everything" and will be an "unstoppable red zone target"
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 12:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Comments like this

I can find plenty more if you like.  He "catches everything" and will be an "unstoppable red zone target"

You found one comment that is clearly meant to be funny.

But I'll take you up on your offer.  Please find me "plenty more".  
Reply/Quote
Earendil: I like oatmeal.

Fred: Some people here think oatmeal is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but we all know it's Cream of Wheat.

Everyone else:
[Image: tenor.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 11:47 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You've made "the greatest thing since sliced bread" comment twice I've seen.

Because I haven't seen anything close to this.  I haven't seen one single person say that they think the's going to be some elite weapon.  Not one.  The consensus seems to be that he's battling with the 3/4/5 guys for reps.

I think what many of these people (myself included) are actually saying is simply that he has value, and do no sleep on this guy contributing this year.

Is he going to be our #1 or #2 receiver?  No, not without injury.  But that doesn't mean you can't have a conversation about his worth.

The fact of the matter is Auden Tate is guy that contributed a decent amount last year, and he's still young (only 23).  The coaches seem to like him, and he possesses some qualities that some of his peers do not. 

While he may never be an elite receiver, or the greatest thing since sliced bread, that doesn't mean he isn't worthy of discussion or praise.

I agree. We should feel a little better that we can put a guy on the field and he will produce. Tate will never be "The Man", but he will move the chains and that's his job.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 01:01 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You found one comment that is clearly meant to be funny.

But I'll take you up on your offer.  Please find me "plenty more".  

Here are a few

(08-21-2020, 07:13 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Tate’s stature and ability means he is always open.

(08-22-2020, 07:55 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Auden Tate can be a serious matchup problem.  

Too big and stoing for corners, and too quick for linebackers, this is how he can thrive.

He's probably one of my favorite guys on this roster.

(08-28-2020, 10:13 AM)Whatever Wrote:  The mods should seriously consider an "All Things Auden Tate" thread. The guy has gotten more off-season hype than guys like Burrow and Jonah Williams.  

(08-28-2020, 11:27 AM)impactplaya Wrote: he has a certain skillset that is unique and in some cases cannot be 
Coached. 

He has the kind of character that ZT is looking for in order to redine the culture.

Tate is part of the culture change.

(06-02-2020, 03:21 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Tate gonna be our Eifert

15 td Pro Bowl season 

(06-02-2020, 02:16 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I expect Tate to be a real factor in the red zone this year

(06-02-2020, 11:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: He will make his money in the redzone and I expect him to be a key contributor. 

Burrow is going to love throwing to him in the endzone.

(06-03-2020, 09:11 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: Funny you say Jerry Rice because Tate actually ran a faster 40 than Rice. He also ran a faster 40 than Anquan Bolden who I think he has a lot of similarities to.

Tate could be a deadly weapon with a bright offensive mind calling plays. Kyle Shanahan would find a way to use this weapon for sure.

Anquan Bolden is 9th in career receptions in the NFL.

(06-04-2020, 10:40 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Auden Tate was 26th in the NFL with an average of 14.4 ypcyou know who averaged less than him 
Speedsters such as 

Brandon Cooks 
Odell Beckham 

And it's all the more accomplishment that Tate didnt run alot
Of vertical routes or deep posts 

And those WRS I listed had better QBs than Tate had last 
Year 
So don't you tell me Auden Tate isn't a good WR sir. 

Better than Odell Beckham (74 rec for 1035 yards), Brandin Cooks ( 4 straight 100 yards seasons from'15-'18).  They had better QBs and ran more vertical routes to get less yards per catch.

(06-08-2020, 09:04 AM)SHRacerX Wrote:  He was really good in contested catches. 

What makes him special is his hands and his catch radius.

He is a poor man's Michael Thomas.

Last year Michael Thomas had 149 receptions for 1725 yards

(06-08-2020, 05:01 PM)Au165 Wrote:  I think with good QB play he can be Mike Williams which is a high end 2 in this league.

Last year Mike Williams had over 1000 receiving yards and led the league with a 20.4 average per catch.

(06-08-2020, 05:58 PM)Au165 Wrote:  He’s similar to AJ , they are contested ball catchers who use position, leverage, and timing to win at the catch point. 

That is seven time Pro Bowler AJ Green
Reply/Quote
One of your examples is literally someone saying “I expect him to be a real factor in the red zone this year” lol

And another just mentions him being a key contributor and that Burrow will love throwing to him in the end zone...

To Fred that equals GrEaTeSt ThInG sInCe SlIcEd BrEaD!!!

Also, Tyler Eifert never had a “15 TD season” you’re purposely trying to make the comparison sound as far fetched as you can. Eifert’s best season here was: 52 rec 615 yds 13 TD. Tate probably doesn’t come anywhere close to those TD numbers if all our other weapons stay healthy, but the rest of that stat line is nothing special.

Reply/Quote
Burrow and receivers can only do but so much if the O-line doesn't hold up ( Yup, went off topic, but not really ).
Reply/Quote
Ole Freddy boy is going to eat some crow on Auden I believe.

Think as Shady said...

That Tate might be our best 7th round pick since Housh.

His ability to go up in the air and catch the ball in all kind of contortions is extremely rare with his size.

He isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread though lol

Literally no one has said that.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 05:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: One of your examples is literally someone saying “I expect him to be a real factor in the red zone this year” lol

And another just mentions him being a key contributor and that Burrow will love throwing to him in the end zone...

To Fred that equals GrEaTeSt ThInG sInCe SlIcEd BrEaD!!!

Also, Tyler Eifert never had a “15 TD season” you’re purposely trying to make the comparison sound as far fetched as you can. Eifert’s best season here was: 52 rec 615 yds 13 TD. Tate probably doesn’t come anywhere close to those TD numbers if all our other weapons stay healthy, but the rest of that stat line is nothing special.

I can't help but wonder what is the criteria for making the galactic defender list vs. the shit list ?

I mean a guy is at the very bottom of the pff grade scale and a penalty machine but he has a couple good games at the end of his 4th or 5th season and he gets put in the defend to the end. 

The next guy improves greatly from year one to year two on a shit team with shit QB's that can't hit the ocean from the beach ! And somebody says he may be pretty good this season and here comes the lion's roar.

It's comical  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 06:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ole Freddy boy is going to eat some crow on Auden I believe.

Think as Shady said...

That Tate might be our best 7th round pick since Housh.

His ability to go up in the air and catch the ball in all kind of contortions is extremely rare with his size.

He isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread though lol

Literally no one has said that.

That was me. And I think it’s a very reasonable statement. Someone might argue this player or that player, but Tate is certainly in the conversation. And he’s just getting started.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 06:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That was me. And I think it’s a very reasonable statement. Someone might argue this player or that player, but Tate is certainly in the conversation. And he’s just getting started.

Sorry Nicomo, will edit. Completely agree, Auden has rare ability and once again shows how Fred just cannot see talent, only stats.

Just went back and saw you both said it, Shady and you both said it and I agree.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 06:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I can't help but wonder what is the criteria for making the galactic defender list vs. the shit list ?

I mean a guy is at the very bottom of the pff grade scale and a penalty machine but he has a couple good games at the end of his 4th or 5th season and he gets put in the defend to the end. 

The next guy improves greatly from year one to year two on a shit team with shit QB's that can't hit the ocean from the beach ! And somebody says he may be pretty good this season and here comes the lion's roar.

It's comical  Hilarious

This post might be worthy of the HoF thread. Well done, sir.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 06:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I can't help but wonder what is the criteria for making the galactic defender list vs. the shit list ?

It's comical  Hilarious

I will nominate this great post! Rock On Cool
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 06:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I mean a guy is at the very bottom of the pff grade scale and a penalty machine but he has a couple good games at the end of his 4th or 5th season and he gets put in the defend to the end. 

PFF had Auden Tate ranked ten spots higher than Odell Beckham at WR last year.  And their 5th ranked OT could not even get a job until the Eagles signed him as a replacement for an injured guard. So it is pretty comical for anyone to put too much weight on their mystical ranking formula that no one can even see the basis for.

Lat Year Bobby Hart Bobby Hart ranked 13th out of 64 qualifying OTs in "sacks+holding penalities" per snap (many people consider a holding penalty equal to allowing a sack).  He ranked 25th in sacks per snap played..  .  .  https://www.milehighreport.com/2020/2/18/21142328/2019-offensive-line-pass-blocking-review 

He had fewer blown blocks and sacks allowed than fan favorite Trey Hopkins. (per FootballOutsiders)

I don't have the full lists, but Hart was not close to the bottom 20 in blown blocks by an OT despite playing 1111 snaps.  And his snaps per blown block(48.3) was very close to the top 20 (51.7) in the league. (per FootballOutsiders)

But that reminds me  "Where is the Fred Johnson fan club these days?"  LOL  Wasn't he the darling of PFF?

(09-07-2020, 06:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote:  The next guy improves greatly from year one to year two on a shit team with shit QB's that can't hit the ocean from the beach ! And somebody says he may be pretty good this season and here comes the lion's roar.

Last year there were 77 WRs with at least 32 receptions.  Among those 77 Tate ranked

77th in catch percentage
71st in tds
61st in yards per target.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2020, 05:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here are a few

15 td Pro Bowl season 

Anquan Bolden is 9th in career receptions in the NFL.

Better than Odell Beckham (74 rec for 1035 yards), Brandin Cooks ( 4 straight 100 yards seasons from'15-'18).  They had better QBs and ran more vertical routes to get less yards per catch.

Last year Michael Thomas had 149 receptions for 1725 yards

Last year Mike Williams had over 1000 receiving yards and led the league with a 20.4 average per catch.

That is seven time Pro Bowler AJ Green

You're really reaching with almost all of these examples.
Reply/Quote

It's comical  Hilarious

He does whatever drives debate.  As a result he gladly takes on the role of the contrarian.

Fred loves arguing move than Rex Ryan loves feet.
Reply/Quote