Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auden Tate is Much Better Than Most People Think
(01-26-2020, 04:44 AM)Whatever Wrote: In what reality is Ross's only advantage over Tate that he is more elusive after the catch?

Ross can stretch a defense.  Tate can't.  Ross can run a full route tree.  Tate can't.  Ross can actually score TD's.  Tate can't.  Ross creates more separation.  Despite the drops, Ross caught a higher percentage of his targets this year.  Ross is hardly on the field, but played nearly 300 more snaps on offense over the last two years.

Sure, Tate makes more spectacular catches, but I'd rather have TD's than highlight reel clips.  

Both have strengths and both have serious shortcomings in their games, but Ross is the better WR right now.  It's not really that close, either.  

The Ross hate knows no bounds... Mellow
Reply/Quote
We need to get better at this position group. Ross, Tate, Erickson and the 2 UDFAs just did not produce well enough.

I like Tate and Ross, but IMO these guys are replaceable, and should be if the right player is signed to the team.
Reply/Quote
Tate makes the highlight catches and has the wingspan and generally plays the position correctly. However he lacks speed and separation ability.

Meanwhile Ross has the wheels but is possibly the worst player I have ever seen at playing the WR position and playing the ball in the air - and that INCLUDES Peter Warrick and Jerome Simpson.

To me we should ditch Ross and invest in the WR position in the draft so Burrow has better targets.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 09:53 PM)Joelist Wrote: Tate makes the highlight catches and has the wingspan and generally plays the position correctly. However he lacks speed and separation ability.

Meanwhile Ross has the wheels but is possibly the worst player I have ever seen at playing the WR position and playing the ball in the air - and that INCLUDES Peter Warrick and Jerome Simpson.

To me we should ditch Ross and invest in the WR position in the draft so Burrow has better targets.

Hey, you know me Joelist. Always liked Ross but I am with you after getting the O-line and Burrow.

Get some other weapons, TE as well that can catch.

Ross has some problems, not only injury problems evidently, confidence and such.

Not against moving on now even with the speed. Somehow Tyreek Hill is always healthy with similar speed ffs.
Reply/Quote
There’s no reason to move on from Ross yet. He’s on the last year of his rookie contract, and he’s not holding anyone better back from getting the snaps. I want to see what a QB like Burrow who can drop passes right in a bucket and hit him in stride can do with him. If he still continues to struggle let him walk. If he lights it up with a QB better suited to his abilities use the 5th year option.

Still think we should draft at least one (maybe even two) WR’s though.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 10:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There’s no reason to move on from Ross yet. He’s on the last year of his rookie contract, and he’s not holding anyone better back from getting the snaps. I want to see what a QB like Burrow who can drop passes right in a bucket and hit him in stride can do with him. If he still continues to struggle let him walk. If he lights it up with a QB better suited to his abilities use the 5th year option.

Great draft for WR's too...
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 10:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There’s no reason to move on from Ross yet. He’s on the last year of his rookie contract, and he’s not holding anyone better back from getting the snaps. I want to see what a QB like Burrow who can drop passes right in a bucket and hit him in stride can do with him. If he still continues to struggle let him walk. If he lights it up with a QB better suited to his abilities use the 5th year option.

I'm not a Ross fan at all, but there's no reason to cut him loose yet given he's got one year left on his rookie deal. As far as Burrow hitting him in stride, Ross has to actually be at the right spot, which is one of the knocks on him. He's capable to nullifying an accurate throw by being out of position, turning the wrong way, quitting on a route, etc. We've seen all those things from him.

The team cannot wait to see what Ross does in the 2020 season before exercising the 5th option. The option has to be exercised before the draft. And with Ross' injury history and lack of overall production I do not think it wise for the team to guarantee him an $18M for the 2021 season.

But, yes, we need to spend some picks on the WR position.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 10:46 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm not a Ross fan at all, but there's no reason to cut him loose yet given he's got one year left on his rookie deal. As far as Burrow hitting him in stride, Ross has to actually be at the right spot, which is one of the knocks on him. He's capable to nullifying an accurate throw by being out of position, turning the wrong way, quitting on a route, etc. We've seen all those things from him.

The team cannot wait to see what Ross does in the 2020 season before exercising the 5th option. The option has to be exercised before the draft. And with Ross' injury history and lack of overall production I do not think it wise for the team to guarantee him an $18M for the 2021 season.

But, yes, we need to spend some picks on the WR position.

Idk why I thought we could do it after the 4th year, but yeah that changes things. I wouldn’t offer the additional year. He needs to prove himself. If he lights it up and decides to leave so be it. Having Burrow as your QB should be helpful in making WR’s want to play here though.

As far as him being in the wrong position, yes he does plenty wrong, but he also had a QB in Dalton that constantly made him adjust on the ball, come back etc. I could absolutely see Ross scoring identical TD’s to the first one Chase had in the NCG with Burrow throwing him those crazy accurate passes.

Reply/Quote