Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auden Tate-updated
(12-11-2019, 05:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 29 first downs receiving is 49th in the league.

Where does the Bengals passing game rank  overall in the league ?
Guess what...Auden Tate for him not being a number #1 or #2
WR....29 1st down catches is pretty darn good 
And remember whos slinging the footballs this year also 
Tate has been a bright spot in a,otherwise dismal passing attack 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 05:04 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't dispute that in any way.

I am of the opinion AJ will be gone next season. Ross, well let's just say you can't rely on him.

That leaves us with Boyd, (great #2) Tate, and Erickson that have produced anything at all. We're either gonna have to bring in a vet WR or draft a mid rounder and late one.

But I hope they keep Tate and see where he ends up ? If it's just WR#4 possession/red zone receiver so be it.

They honestly need to double dip with a Day 2 and a Day 3 pick at WR.  This WR class is so deep, I wouldn't mind if they took 3 of them, honestly. 

Tate is going to be here next year unless he gets into off field trouble.  They would have to add like 4 WR's this off-season to realistically push him off the roster.  He's a solid #5.  But if he comes into camp a Ross injury away from being #2 again, we're in deep trouble.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 06:02 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Where does the Bengals passing game rank  overall in the league ?

18th in both passing yards and first down passing

(12-11-2019, 06:02 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Guess what...Auden Tate for him not being a number #1 or #2
WR....29 1st down catches is pretty darn good 

Tate has been our #2WR since the 4th game of the year.  He has played 200 more snaps than Erickson and has 20 more targets.

(12-11-2019, 06:02 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Tate has been a bright spot in a,otherwise dismal passing attack 

There has been nothing "bright" about him.  He has three times as many drops as tds, and he ranks dead last in catch percentage among the 83 WRs with at least 25 receptions.  He has zero receptions of 40+ yards and his 8 receptions of 20+ yards ranks 50th in the league.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 05:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 29 first downs receiving is 49th in the league.

Considering Tate has been targeted less than 43 other receivers, I'd say being 49th in a cumulative stat is actually pretty damn good.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 07:48 PM)treee Wrote: Considering Tate has been targeted less than 43 other receivers, I'd say being 49th in a cumulative stat is actually pretty damn good.

How is it good?  If he's 44th in Targets, he would be 44th in 1st Downs if he was perfectly average.  49th is slightly below what an average player getting his targets would get.  

He's also tied for 72nd in catches, 53rd in receiving yards, and tied for 146th in TD's.  1st Downs is literally the  cumulative stat that Tate is the least below average in based on his Targets and that's the stat people are cherry picking to defend him.

It's not even like pimping Ross's TD's from last year, because he was 105th in Targets and tied for 16th in TD's.  You're literally focusing on the one stat he's least bad at.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 10:51 AM)Whatever Wrote: Sure.  There's also the possibility that the light switch turns on for Bobby Hart and John Ross finally stays healthy, too.  You can't bank on any of those three happening, though.

Tiger You do realize that next year is his 3rd year. That's when the light bulb goes on for WR's...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 08:34 PM)Whatever Wrote: How is it good?  If he's 44th in Targets, he would be 44th in 1st Downs if he was perfectly average.  49th is slightly below what an average player getting his targets would get.  

He's also tied for 72nd in catches, 53rd in receiving yards, and tied for 146th in TD's.  1st Downs is literally the  cumulative stat that Tate is the least below average in based on his Targets and that's the stat people are cherry picking to defend him.

It's not even like pimping Ross's TD's from last year, because he was 105th in Targets and tied for 16th in TD's.  You're literally focusing on the one stat he's least bad at.
Sorry but Auden Tate isn't the reason why the Bengals passing gane as been lacluster this year
Rewatch the film.
Tate bailed out AD and Finely this year 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 08:34 PM)Whatever Wrote: How is it good?  If he's 44th in Targets, he would be 44th in 1st Downs if he was perfectly average.  49th is slightly below what an average player getting his targets would get.  

That's not how statistics work. By your logic if a person is 1st in targets but 5th in first downs, they are below average in first downs. That's not true. They would still be really good in the first downs stat (but not the best). A 44th/49th ratio is actually pretty good.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 06:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 18th in both passing yards and first down passing

Tate has been our #2WR since the 4th game of the year.  He has played 200 more snaps than Erickson and has 20 more targets.

There has been nothing "bright" about him.  He has three times as many drops as tds, and he ranks dead last in catch percentage among the 83 WRs with at least 25 receptions.  He has zero receptions of 40+ yards and his 8 receptions of 20+ yards ranks 50th in the league.

I agree with Fred here. And people like that Tate makes contested catches, which appears good...but it happens because he can't get separation.

I do think as a #4 WR...he's done well. He could continue to develop.

We throw the ball so many times a game that some of our guys are bound to put up numbers.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 03:00 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Sorry but Auden Tate isn't the reason why the Bengals passing gane as been lacluster this year
Rewatch the film.
Tate bailed out AD and Finely this year 

His film shows that he struggles to get separation and occasionally makes highlight reel catches.  Highlights=/=film.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 02:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: His film shows that he struggles to get separation and occasionally makes highlight reel catches.  Highlights=/=film.

That's why he was a Day 3 pick.
Tate's fine as a WR4 though. He's been more productive than all the backup WRs that I can remember the past decade.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 05:10 AM)treee Wrote: That's not how statistics work. By your logic if a person is 1st in targets but 5th in first downs, they are below average in first downs. That's not true. They would still be really good in the first downs stat (but not the best). A 44th/49th ratio is actually pretty good.

That's exactly how statistics work.  A player with more Targets should hypothetically produce more cumulative stats than a player with less targets.  

To your example, Michael Thomas leads the league in Targets and also leads the league in Receptions, Receiving Yards, and 1st Downs.  We're also not talking about a player putting up anywhere close to Top 5 numbers.

It would also be different if he met or exceeded the expected production in other cumulative stats, but Tate has literally produced below his Targets in every cumulative statistical category.  
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 03:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's why he was a Day 3 pick.
Tate's fine as a WR4 though. He's been more productive than all the backup WRs that I can remember the past decade.

Pretty much this.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Yes he was a 3rd day pick.but at this point does it really
Matter?
What does matter is that he has grown tremendously from
Last year in training camp.to this year.
He will never be a vertical burner that can take the top
Off the defense. WR cores have to have guys that fit into
A role. WRs come in all shapes and sizes.
Tate is a big framed WR that will fight through the defender
For the ball.
If had a,OC that actually knew how to use him in the red zone
His numbers would be better.
Auden Tate has actually outplayed some WRs taken way before
Him.
Thats a testament to his work ethic and desire to improve
Reply/Quote