Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin Davis
I know he is not PS eligible, but I really, really like this kid.  If there was an amazing offer on the table for McCarron, I would only accept it if they signed him first. 

He has had his share of bad fortune but he keeps fighting back.  I thought the kid showed a lot of guts against our D that was KILLING the Browns last year and he would stay in, knowing he was going to get blown up, and deliver a strike down the field.  And they had very few weapons to speak of.

I hope he ends up in a good situation.  If I was SF, I would be all over this kid. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I imagine there has been numerous offers for McCarron, but I don't think Mike is entertaining anything at this point.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 09:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know he is not PS eligible, but I really, really like this kid.  If there was an amazing offer on the table for McCarron, I would only accept it if they signed him first. 

He has had his share of bad fortune but he keeps fighting back.  I thought the kid showed a lot of guts against our D that was KILLING the Browns last year and he would stay in, knowing he was going to get blown up, and deliver a strike down the field.  And they had very few weapons to speak of.

I hope he ends up in a good situation.  If I was SF, I would be all over this kid. 

I gotta agree.  This is actually a pretty good back up plan (pun intended) if we were to deal McCarron.  I don't understand why they just didn't give the kid the reins once their season was over.  McCown played with a lot of heart, and decent at times, but Davis is younger and played well in his own right.  If nothing else, I would have started him for the sake of mercy for McCown.  He got killed last year.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 09:46 AM)Wyche Wrote: I gotta agree.  This is actually a pretty good back up plan (pun intended) if we were to deal McCarron.  I don't understand why they just didn't give the kid the reins once their season was over.  McCown played with a lot of heart, and decent at times, but Davis is younger and played well in his own right.  If nothing else, I would have started him for the sake of mercy for McCown.  He got killed last year.

And I like this guy's story...he's the ultimate hard luck guy that just never gave up.  I'm not saying he's the next Kurt Warner (man-crush alert) but I hope he gets a shot somewhere. 

Kaepernick is only a 49er because of his contract (remember when people said what a steal that was compared to the Dalton deal, which is now the best value QB contract in the NFL) and he is awful.  Davis is a smart, quick-release guy that has good wheels and could fit Kelly's scheme.

I get the Browns wanting to start fresh, but there has to be a team out there that could benefit from this guy.  He isn't lucky enough to end up in Denver. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 09:44 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I imagine there has been numerous offers for McCarron, but I don't think Mike is entertaining anything at this point.

And we have been very clear as to why that is a good stance, but if at the end of the season Davis is holding a clipboard somewhere and McCarron is bringing insane offers I would hope they consider Davis as an option.

We sure as hell aren't going to go with Wenning.
Reply/Quote
I don't think it'll happen, but count me as one of the bengals fans that was REALLY impressed when we played them. I'd love to get a solid pick for McCarron and roll with Davis as backup
Reply/Quote
Having a solid backup is so elusive in the NFL... no way would I trade away AJ at this time, his value is going to remain high in the NFL but his value with the Bengals right now is way more important than trading him at this point and picking up some so so backup that does not know the system .
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 10:01 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Having a solid backup is so elusive in the NFL... no way would I trade away AJ at this time, his value is going to remain high in the NFL but his value with the Bengals right now is way more important than trading him at this point and picking up some so so backup that does not know the system .

McCarron IS leaving if he isn't named the starter by the end of his contract, make no mistake about that.  This is discussion about a contingency plan for when the day arrives.  The OP is right, Austin Davis is a very good backup in his own right, would be perfect for what we will be looking for.

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 09:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know he is not PS eligible, but I really, really like this kid.  If there was an amazing offer on the table for McCarron, I would only accept it if they signed him first. 

So you want to give up a QB that knows our system and can step in if something happens..

for someone that doesn't.

Yep that'll be an upgrade.

If we were to trade away that security I needs to be for a decent player not a crap shot in the draft.
Reply/Quote

Against the Bengals he had a around a 72 percent QB rating, 0 TDs, 1 INT and and 1 Fumble, sure the Browns were not good but he was a part of the Browns not being good.  No way would I consider trading AJ and having him as our backup.  If you can;t even stick with the Browns as a QB ... enough said lol
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 10:11 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: So you want to give up a QB that knows our system and can step in if something happens..

for someone that doesn't.

Yep that'll be an upgrade.

If we were to trade away that security I needs to be for a decent player not a crap shot in the draft.

......except that's not what he's saying at all......

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 09:44 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I imagine there has been numerous offers for McCarron, but I don't think Mike is entertaining anything at this point.

Hell only entertain offers that include the promotion of his 3rd cousin twice removed.  

If we end up holding on to him all the way through the end of his contract and he just walks, it's going to look real bad for the brownfam FO. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 10:07 AM)Wyche Wrote: McCarron IS leaving if he isn't named the starter by the end of his contract, make no mistake about that.  This is discussion about a contingency plan for when the day arrives.  The OP is right, Austin Davis is a very good backup in his own right, would be perfect for what we will be looking for.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe McCarron is in his last year but the Bengals have a 1-year option?  If this is the case no way I trade him this year (well never say never!).  He is the best back-up QB in the NFL and we all know how hard it is for a QB to stay upright for a whole season.  We've been lucky 4 out of 5 years with AD.

I'm sure there will be big-time offers on the table, especially as starters go down around the league.  If it's early in the year some teams may be desperate (like the Raider's were when we traded Palmer).  It will be difficult for the Bengals to hold onto McCarron if other teams start throwing out outrageous offers.

It'll be interesting...
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 10:33 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe McCarron is in his last year but the Bengals have a 1-year option?  If this is the case no way I trade him this year (well never say never!).  He is the best back-up QB in the NFL and we all know how hard it is for a QB to stay upright for a whole season.  We've been lucky 4 out of 5 years with AD.

I'm sure there will be big-time offers on the table, especially as starters go down around the league.  If it's early in the year some teams may be desperate (like the Raider's were when we traded Palmer).  It will be difficult for the Bengals to hold onto McCarron if other teams start throwing out outrageous offers.

It'll be interesting...

I think he becomes an UFA in 2018.  He's inked through 2017.

I don't want to trade the guy either, but he WILL walk if he isn't the starter by 2018.  This is about what to do if he isn't and we need a backup, and we need to get something out of him instead of just letting him walk with no compensation. You're right, it should get interesting.

EDIT: found it.....

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/a.j.-mccarron-14575/

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 10:33 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe McCarron is in his last year but the Bengals have a 1-year option?  If this is the case no way I trade him this year (well never say never!).  He is the best back-up QB in the NFL and we all know how hard it is for a QB to stay upright for a whole season.  We've been lucky 4 out of 5 years with AD.

It'll be interesting...

Drafted rookies sign 4 year deals, 1st rounders (which mccarron is not) are able to be kept a 5th year on club options. Aj just finished his 2nd season, we have him for 2 more (this and next), with no 5th year option. His value will never be higher for us, he has some big experience and played well in it. Still very cheap for 2 years, if we wait and trade him after the season a team only has him under contract one year. You won't get nearly as much for a single year of control. Now is the time to trade, unfortunately I think the best time to do so was at the draft which has passed. If some other team loses a starter he could still be moved for a decent pick. If he isn't moved soon I doubt he will ever be and he will walk after next season
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 11:02 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Drafted rookies sign 4 year deals, 1st rounders (which mccarron is not) are able to be kept a 5th year on club options. Aj just finished his 2nd season, we have him for 2 more (this and next), with no 5th year option. His value will never be higher for us, he has some big experience and played well in it. Still very cheap for 2 years, if we wait and trade him after the season a team only has him under contract one year. You won't get nearly as much for a single year of control. Now is the time to trade, unfortunately I think the best time to do so was at the draft which has passed. If some other team loses a starter he could still be moved for a decent pick. If he isn't moved soon I doubt he will ever be and he will walk after next season

Yep, our worst case scenario.....unless he were to supplant Dalton.

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 11:02 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Drafted rookies sign 4 year deals, 1st rounders (which mccarron is not) are able to be kept a 5th year on club options. Aj just finished his 2nd season, we have him for 2 more (this and next), with no 5th year option. His value will never be higher for us, he has some big experience and played well in it. Still very cheap for 2 years, if we wait and trade him after the season a team only has him under contract one year. You won't get nearly as much for a single year of control. Now is the time to trade, unfortunately I think the best time to do so was at the draft which has passed. If some other team loses a starter he could still be moved for a decent pick. If he isn't moved soon I doubt he will ever be and he will walk after next season

The draft was at the end of April and the bengals org had run out of long distance minutes to field those calls. 
Reply/Quote

And the bengals will get a 3rd round comp pick...

2 years of great backup and a 3rd comp is worth more than a 2nd in my opinion.  So unless a team is offering a 1st (and maybe more) don't expect him to get moved.  The bengals will squat on him, collect their 3rd and likely start the backup plan next year.

With their window now, it would be idiotic to trade him for a 2nd next yeAr when mccaroon could help this year.  
Reply/Quote
We won't be winning any Super Bowls with AJ starting. If Andy goes down the best we can hope for is .500 ball with AJ at this point. Not impossible to replace that with another less talented backup.

And we only get a 3rd comp pick if he signs a huge contract. If he is just a backup the next 2 years (with hopefully no meaningful snaps) he won't get a contract to give us a 3rd. Maybe a 4th rounder
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 11:48 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: We won't be winning any Super Bowls with AJ starting. If Andy goes down the best we can hope for is .500 ball with AJ at this point. Not impossible to replace that with another less talented backup.

And we only get a 3rd comp pick if he signs a huge contract. If he is just a backup the next 2 years (with hopefully no meaningful snaps) he won't get a contract to give us a 3rd. Maybe a 4th rounder

Osweiller did with a 7/10 TD/int ratio and starting only a handful of games
Matt Schaub did backing up Vick 

A team will give AJM a large contract especially since they wouldn't have to give up a pick. 

And if Andy goes down for 4-6 weeks (not season ending) id feel a lot better about mccaron going .500 during the stretch.  At least it keeps you in contention. Austin Davis maybe .333 and you are out of it in the blink of an eye.
Reply/Quote