Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin McNamara - (Punter) Texas Tech
Hopefully he provides good competition as Robbins was awful regardless of being a rookie. And if he doesn't bring in more punters for the job.

(04-27-2024, 10:54 PM)Nepa Wrote: "Ended his five-year career as Texas Tech’s punter with a 45.91 average, the highest in Texas Tech and Big 12 Conference history. His average ranked 10th in NCAA FBS history among punters with at least 150 career punts"

Okay, what am I missing here? I went to the 2023 stats for punting (below), and a 45.9 average would put him 27th in the league. Admittedly, Brad Robbins was 30th with a 44.3 average, but McNamara would still be near the bottom of the league if he hit his average. The Bengals can't find someone league average? The Iowa punter had a 48.2 average last year, which would put him 12th.

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/punting

The Iowa punter was the only one drafted too. The Bengals could have got him in the 4th (the Bears did few picks later) instead of the Iowa tight end, but zero chance they considered that as I don't think they value the punter position like other teams might.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 09:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Sure hope this kid works out and we’ve seen the last of Brad Robbins.

Wink

Many in the Draft section know I had been touting this dude for many months.

Happy McNamara is a Bengal, and even happier it didn't cost a draft pick.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
would love to have 2 Money Mac's as our kicker and punter
Reply/Quote
I'm definitely ready for the punter competition in camp. I haven't fully given up on Robbins, but last year was certainly a disaster. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Austin’s been coached by Shayne Graham

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2024, 11:11 AM)CincyKid Wrote: would love to have 2 Money Mac's as our kicker and punter

The marketing department is going to have a lot of fun if he wins the job.

McPherson & McNamara is prime for a sweet 1980s - 1990s style poster.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 10:34 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Why do fans quit on any rookie?

I have this punter does great, but I have no skin in the game so if Robbins beats him out, I will be happy for Robbins.

Our board always seems to need a couple of whipping boys. I root for every Bengal player to have success.

The reason fans are quickly out on Robbins is because punting and kicking are some of the very few actions in the NFL that are kind of...opposition independent. 

Most other positions, you need to adjust to the speed of the game. WRs who got open in college are facing faster/more skilled cornerbacks. Running backs who broke a lot of tackles in college are facing better and more disciplined tacklers. QBs who picked apart defenses in college are facing more intelligent and faster defenses. How a player adjusts to these changes is really hard to predict and whether they are successful or not depends on if they can adjust to the new speed/strength of the game and become a productive player in that harder system.

For punters...if you kicked the ball 50 yards on average in college, there's no reason that you should be unable to kick the ball 50 yards on average in the NFL. Yes, the returns may vary and that's relevant, but Robbins consistently could not make the ball travel far enough to be an effective punter. 

There's a chance he's a completely different player in 2024 and he is able to kick it much farther, but the odds of that are low. Punters are who they are, and Robbins was not an effective punter in 2023.

If he comes in and beats McNamara in a legitimate competition where the better player wins, so be it. But I'd be surprised.
Reply/Quote
Best of luck to both...best man wins.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2024, 10:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Best of luck to both...best man wins.

Spot on. I apply this thinking to all roster/position competitions between players.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 10:54 PM)Nepa Wrote: "Ended his five-year career as Texas Tech’s punter with a 45.91 average, the highest in Texas Tech and Big 12 Conference history. His average ranked 10th in NCAA FBS history among punters with at least 150 career punts"

Okay, what am I missing here? I went to the 2023 stats for punting (below), and a 45.9 average would put him 27th in the league. Admittedly, Brad Robbins was 30th with a 44.3 average, but McNamara would still be near the bottom of the league if he hit his average. The Bengals can't find someone league average? The Iowa punter had a 48.2 average last year, which would put him 12th.

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/punting

Because you're going off career college average rather than what he grew to be.
In 2021, McNamara averaged 48.2 YPP.
He adjusted his punts to be less distance-focused and more placement-focused after that season.
He has the leg to be a Top 10 punter in the NFL.

Here's more info into McNamara - https://bnbfootball.com/2024-nfl-draft/punter-rankings/

Quote:[color=var( --e-global-color-text )]Austin McNamara has a powerful leg with a vicious punting motion. He kicks the ball with aggression, but has still shown excellent placement on his kicks. He’s improved his mechanics over his 5 year career as a starter, and has done a nice job of converting his distance into hangtime. McNamara has good size at 6’4″, and it doesn’t slow him down in his punting motion.
McNamara has shown in the past that he can average an impressive yard per punt number (48.2 in 2021), but has instead transitioned his power into elite hangtime. McNamara only allowed returns on 18% of his punts this past season, by far the best percentage for any punter averaging over 45 yards per punt.
[/color]

[color=var( --e-global-color-text )]Austin McNamara 2023 Stats
46.3 yards per punt, 24 inside 20 yard line, 7 touchbacks, 49.1% fair catches forced, 59 long, 81.8% unreturnable punts
[/color]
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I will be absolutely shocked if Robbins wins the job over this kid.... but, we could have signed a Domino's delivery driver to punt and I'd be surprised if Robbins would have beat him out also.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2024, 11:35 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Because you're going off career college average rather than what he grew to be.
He adjusted his punts to be less distance-focused and more placement-focused after that season.

Here's more info into McNamara - https://bnbfootball.com/2024-nfl-draft/punter-rankings/

Wonderful. Thank you.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2024, 07:14 PM)Nepa Wrote: Wonderful. Thank you.

No problem.

And to help put McNamara's YPP into perspective...

Drue Chrisman had a big leg. He averaged 47.8 YPP his 1 year with the Bengals.
In college, his average at Ohio St was 44.6.
McNamara's was over 1 yard higher in his career average, and he exceeded 48 one year while focusing on distance.
McNamara also had a higher college career average than Huber (45.9 vs 45.5).

My expectations - McNamara will have the distance of Drue Chrisman but the placement more similar to Huber.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Here he is mic’d up. Good sized kid and it shows him holding for kicks so he has that experience. At 6’4” it shows him making a nice throw so a 2 for 1 as a potential emergency QB? ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NvGQoI_CGOE&pp=ygUUQXVzdGluIG1jbmFtYXJhIG1pY2Q%3D
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 12:43 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Here he is mic’d up. Good sized kid and it shows him holding for kicks so he has that experience.  At 6’4” it shows him making a nice throw so a 2 for 1 as a potential emergency QB? ?

And trick plays pretending to punt but passing it instead to a receiver or TE outside if the defense doesn't have anyone covering close.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 12:43 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Here he is mic’d up. Good sized kid and it shows him holding for kicks so he has that experience.  At 6’4” it shows him making a nice throw so a 2 for 1 as a potential emergency QB? ?

I actually watched a couple more videos on this link, kid definitely has big leg and has worked on his hangtime.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2024, 09:26 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Wink

Many in the Draft section know I had been touting this dude for many months.

Happy McNamara is a Bengal, and even happier it didn't cost a draft pick.

Yes, you were very high on McNamara, even over Tory Taylor.

(04-29-2024, 11:35 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Because you're going off career college average rather than what he grew to be.

(04-30-2024, 10:57 AM)ochocincos Wrote: No problem.

And to help put McNamara's YPP into perspective...

Drue Chrisman had a big leg. He averaged 47.8 YPP his 1 year with the Bengals.
In college, his average at Ohio St was 44.6.
McNamara's was over 1 yard higher in his career average, and he exceeded 48 one year while focusing on distance.
McNamara also had a higher college career average than Huber (45.9 vs 45.5).

My expectations - McNamara will have the distance of Drue Chrisman but the placement more similar to Huber.

Good stuff, thanks Ochocincos. I like McNamara's chances at winning the job. Cool
Reply/Quote