Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Austin Promises Defense Will "Play Without Fear!"
Apparently, Marvin had his eye on Teryl Austin even before the season ended:

Quote:Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis seemed to have an eye on the future before the 2017 season was even over. He said he told Teryl Austin to "stay in touch" prior to the Bengals' game against the Detroit Lions on Christmas Eve.

Even though Lewis and defensive coordinator Paul Guenther had expiring contracts, Lewis seemed to be keeping an eye on Austin just in case. Now, Austin will take over Guenther's duties as the Bengals' defensive coordinator.

I like that because it means that Marvin had his eye on the future, even though his was uncertain, and that he wanted Teryl because he knew that Guenther was most likely gone.  

It also means that Marvin liked his style of play, which was aggressive, something Marvin's coaching has not been in Cincinnati, but the Lions had the third-most takeaways in the league last year, and so I'm hoping he plays tight in the secondary and brings pressure on the quarterbacks.  I couldn't find a blitzing percentage statistic, but his defense was 20th in sacks, which you might think is a bad thing, but it could also mean that quarterbacks just had to get rid of the ball quicker, causing more interceptions (his defense had 19, which was 4th in the NFL), and I'll take interceptions over sacks all day, especially since the secondary will be playing tighter to the line and receivers (from how it sounds).

Marvin sounds like he's being more aggressive (finally) and is in a win-now mode, and Austin seems to fit into that mold!

It's going to be a GREAT year!
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 09:58 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Apparently, Marvin had his eye on Teryl Austin even before the season ended:

I like that because it means that Marvin had his eye on the future, even though his was uncertain, and that he wanted Teryl because he knew that Guenther was most likely gone.  

It also means that Marvin liked his style of play, which was aggressive, something Marvin's coaching has not been in Cincinnati, but the Lions had the third-most takeaways in the league last year, and so I'm hoping he plays tight in the secondary and brings pressure on the quarterbacks.  I couldn't find a blitzing percentage statistic, but his defense was 20th in sacks, which you might think is a bad thing, but it could also mean that quarterbacks just had to get rid of the ball quicker, causing more interceptions (his defense had 19, which was 4th in the NFL), and I'll take interceptions over sacks all day, especially since the secondary will be playing tighter to the line and receivers (from how it sounds).

Marvin sounds like he's being more aggressive (finally) and is in a win-now mode, and Austin seems to fit into that mold!

I sure hope you are right Brad!!!
Reply/Quote
What did Marvin tell him after he couldn’t stop the 32nd offense to get into the playoffs?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 09:58 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Apparently, Marvin had his eye on Teryl Austin even before the season ended:

It also means that Marvin liked his style of play, which was aggressive, something Marvin's coaching has not been in Cincinnati, but the Lions had the third-most takeaways in the league last year, and so I'm hoping he plays tight in the secondary and brings pressure on the quarterbacks. I couldn't find a blitzing percentage statistic, but his defense was 20th in sacks, which you might think is a bad thing, but it could also mean that quarterbacks just had to get rid of the ball quicker, causing more interceptions (his defense had 19, which was 4th in the NFL), and I'll take interceptions over sacks all day, especially since the secondary will be playing tighter to the line and receivers (from how it sounds).

Well, that was easy for Mike Brown.
Reply/Quote

I take it as Marvin telling Austin to keep in touch with him personally. Meaning if he's not in Cincinnati Lewis figured he'd be somewhere else to bring TA aboard.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 11:40 PM)michaelsean Wrote: What did Marvin tell him after he couldn’t stop the 32nd offense to get into the playoffs?

The Bengals kept the Ravens out of the playoffs as well. Do all their coaches suck too?

Reply/Quote
All defensive coordinators say they are going to be "aggressive". That kind of canned answer is not telling anyone much. This is a "meh" hire in my eyes. A 4-3 guy who doesn't over achieve or get guys to play above their "ceiling" in the moment? When (if I recall) asked by Mo Egger as to why they lost to the Bengals (who had the 32nd ranked offense) with their season on the line his answer was something to the effect of... "We couldn't get stops on 3rd down". If that's someone Marvin has had his eye on I certainly understand why. "Blah blah 3rd down" is his typical response to every loss. I've seen that movie before.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 09:58 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It's going to be a GREAT year!

Jumping on the hope train.

(01-12-2018, 11:40 PM)michaelsean Wrote: What did Marvin tell him after he couldn’t stop the 32nd offense to get into the playoffs?

Getting back on the reality train!

I hate rollercoasters! Sad

Reply/Quote
Play without fear? What about playing without stupidity? Or adding halftime adjustments to the plan?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 02:47 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Bengals kept the Ravens out of the playoffs as well. Do all their coaches suck too?

Yeah.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote

I don't know if Kool-aid goes with Coffee, but pass some of that around!

Honestly, it is all talk until we actually see it, but I do like this kind of aggressiveness.  Maualuga sucked, IMHO, other than getting fat, because the team tried to keep him from making mistakes.  I want my LBs playing with reckless abandon and trying to make game-changing plays.  I thought his rookie season he was more aggressive and they took that out of him.  It is good to hear Austin say that he wants to be aggressive rather than passive and "not give up the big play" but give up 5-10 yard ones all day long.

As per usual, withy cynical me now, I will believe it when I see it. 
Reply/Quote
The whole "they couldn't stop the 32nd ranked offense" narrative is already so tired. They were ranked 32nd because of how shitty they played all season. If you take the stats off just the last couple of games, after Lazor took the run blocking away from Alexander and started playing Redmond and Westerman, they would not be anywhere near the bottom. The last couple of games, they could have played with any team in the league, and in fact beat the Ravens using practice squad linebackers because that's all they had left...... (and that's not a knock on those LBers, they played their hearts out). I like our new coaches, and am hoping they can interject some new life into this team and into Merv.
Reply/Quote
The cupboard certainly isn't bare for Austin. He's got a nice stable of corners to work with including a potential rising superstar in Jackson. He's also got a few nice pass rushers both young and experienced in the mix. They do badly need to get him some quality linebackers, as Vinny is getting up there and Tez is such a wild card in terms of availability. You're not going to get by for long getting high amount of snaps to the Nickersons, Vigils, and Evanses of the world.

I hope this also means an end or at least marginal dispruption to the prevent/passive defensive play when the team gets slim leads in the second half of games.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 09:38 AM)Interceptor Wrote: Play without fear? What about playing without stupidity? Or adding halftime adjustments to the plan?

Agree, I don't want DBs attempting to jump the route, every time the ball is thrown.  Reckless play like that leads to getting burn, just as easily.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Fix this moron and I will be impressed.

[Image: 630162430.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 10:45 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The whole "they couldn't stop the 32nd ranked offense" narrative is already so tired. They were ranked 32nd because of how shitty they played all season. If you take the stats off just the last couple of games, after Lazor took the run blocking away from Alexander and started playing Redmond and Westerman, they would not be anywhere near the bottom. The last couple of games, they could have played with any team in the league, and in fact beat the Ravens using practice squad linebackers because that's all they had left...... (and that's not a knock on those LBers, they played their hearts out). I like our new coaches, and am hoping they can interject some new life into this team and into Merv.

Totally fair point on the 32nd ranked offense comment.

I just think I saw a similar theme when the Lions D couldn't stop the Bengals when they had to to make it into the playoffs. Big game, big stakes.... small performance.
Reply/Quote
Lip service, what are these guys supposed to say? "Well with Marvin and Mike I'll do my best but dont expect miracles here guys"
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 11:38 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Totally fair point on the 32nd ranked offense comment.

I just think I saw a similar theme when the Lions D couldn't stop the Bengals when they had to to make it into the playoffs. Big game, big stakes.... small performance.

I see that as an indicator that when the Bengals are firing on most of their cylinders (I won't say all), they are simply a better team then the Lions.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 11:36 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Fix this moron and I will be impressed.

[Image: 630162430.jpg]

^ This

I swear he wears a ski mask when he collects his weekly game check.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 12:10 PM)GodFather Wrote: Lip service, what are these guys supposed to say? "Well with Marvin and Mike I'll do my best but dont expect miracles here guys"

[Image: i_want_the_truth.png]

Reply/Quote